WELL DONE LJ SHANNON ON WINNING THE FIRST ROUND OF THE TWO WEEK COMP.
dkc

Addington Sunday

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, dkc said:

Why are we wasting Sundays on Addington.

Surely it is a day to take racing to the country. I'm afraid we are missing opportunities to promote our sport. The dates committee has gotten it horribly wrong here and we continue to head down the wrong track. 

Sadly, I think it is all about dumbing racing down as much as possible and turning it into an off course pursuit. They really aren't interested in people attending race meetings, other than Cup Week. That's why they haven't bothered rebuilding any public grandstands in ChCh. Also the clubs who are most likely to do well with Sunday meetings and attract a large crowd are the very clubs they are trying to get rid off. I'm sure most of you have already noticed the numerous benefits of the  centralisation approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've lost all our grass track meetings up in the NI (though Cambridge can do "picnic meetings). I understand one of the reasons for centralisation was to reduce costs to owners. But no one surveyed this owner's opinion. We used to really enjoy having a horse racing in Taranaki and would make a long weekend of it, packing the golf clubs etc. And I've owned horses that grew another leg and were more competitive on the big grass tracks (those grass track wins make the best photos too - lots of colour!). Some of most memorable and interesting times as an owner have been at the grass track meetings. Now just the boring trip on the motorway to watch another 2200m week after week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Alexandra Park racing is boring,it starts with commentator and pretty much covers everything else happening there,the interdoms last year were good though,strange though no grass trac racing no more,always had big fields so the owners were happy to turn up,spose the irony is decisions being made by people things have no affect on,funny that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

From what i saw it was simply a day for the battlers to try and win some $$$. Still punters will have a bet on anything you want to show including 2nd tier local racing

Do you not think there is a bit much racing?

Timaru this sat trying to run their cup race then next day Akaroa running theirs then next week 2 Addingtons then Methven on the sunday,then Forbury wedged in as a token gesture midweek with very low stakes,Westport on boxing days cup is 20000,now it's not mega bucks but in the context of things it's not bad but in recent years the main races have had small fields probably due to enough racing elsewhere,seems to me there might be too much racing but the powers that be keep pushing it,much like racing from Chile,Uraguay and Brazil on website,I guess if you saturate something it dilutes a product,I think we are seeing that,however as the TAB is wanting more and more income is it likely to change,maybe,maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Do you not think there is a bit much racing?

Timaru this sat trying to run their cup race then next day Akaroa running theirs then next week 2 Addingtons then Methven on the sunday,then Forbury wedged in as a token gesture midweek with very low stakes,Westport on boxing days cup is 20000,now it's not mega bucks but in the context of things it's not bad but in recent years the main races have had small fields probably due to enough racing elsewhere,seems to me there might be too much racing but the powers that be keep pushing it,much like racing from Chile,Uraguay and Brazil on website,I guess if you saturate something it dilutes a product,I think we are seeing that,however as the TAB is wanting more and more income is it likely to change,maybe,maybe not.

Its Xmas racing so they will load up with promo and cup meeting as much as possible. As for saturation there is something for all grades and thats the point of these meetings- to ensure anyone that wants to run can do so.

Will i be betting at Timaru or Westport no but others will be  and thats great for Harness turnover which ultimately should go back into stakes. I'm going to do the  Central Otago circuit which i think is brilliant so its a case of each to their own and here i'm talking about Trainers ,owners ,drivers and investors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Its Xmas racing so they will load up with promo and cup meeting as much as possible. As for saturation there is something for all grades and thats the point of these meetings- to ensure anyone that wants to run can do so.

Will i be betting at Timaru or Westport no but others will be  and thats great for Harness turnover which ultimately should go back into stakes. I'm going to do the  Central Otago circuit which i think is brilliant so its a case of each to their own and here i'm talking about Trainers ,owners ,drivers and investors

Nominations for Timaru cup 6

Akaroa,similar race ,21,maybe it's the handiness  to home or the grass track that appeals to owners,trainers,if it's the grass track it does make one wonder why all grass racings been wiped out in the north.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Nominations for Timaru cup 6

Akaroa,similar race ,21,maybe it's the handiness  to home or the grass track that appeals to owners,trainers,if it's the grass track it does make one wonder why all grass racings been wiped out in the north.

Timaru Cup worth 14K and rating 65 plus Akaroa Cup 12 and Rating 56 plus

Only 4 horses nominated for Akaroa are rated 65 plus- go figure why no -one wants to run for more money although noms still open for Timaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 4:13 PM, Nelli said:

We've lost all our grass track meetings up in the NI (though Cambridge can do "picnic meetings). I understand one of the reasons for centralisation was to reduce costs to owners. But no one surveyed this owner's opinion. We used to really enjoy having a horse racing in Taranaki and would make a long weekend of it, packing the golf clubs etc. And I've owned horses that grew another leg and were more competitive on the big grass tracks (those grass track wins make the best photos too - lots of colour!). Some of most memorable and interesting times as an owner have been at the grass track meetings. Now just the boring trip on the motorway to watch another 2200m week after week.

Completely agree the grass tracks season you do seem to enjoy a lot not as you say you get to have the chance to pop away for a few days and enjoy other parts of the country. Weekends like Hawera, otaki the taranaki were great meetings. Generally good size feilds but everyone seem to have fun off the track too. The waikato grass circuit and northlands even tho only one dayers still was a chance to take he bbq and have a few beers sometimes as you say could try a New golf course before hand. Racing at Atc nd Cambridge especially when they tend to be so late at night is very boring for punters to wait up all night to watch the last few races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.