RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sir Dane

Horse Feed

What does everybody, "especially northern people who haven't got a grower living next door" think about the quality of oats we are dished out at the feed stores these days? They seem to me they are about 3rd grade in quality.

Probably better off buying rolled oats breakfast cereal and feed that. imo:)

the oats I have gotten this time are so slim that I have had to tighten the crusher I did try putting them through twice but that made no diff they are so skinny that they just slid through uncrushed......... would almost turn one to the premixes but then hey do we really know whts in them??

the oats I have gotten this time are so slim that I have had to tighten the crusher I did try putting them through twice but that made no diff they are so skinny that they just slid through uncrushed......... would almost turn one to the premixes but then hey do we really know whts in them??

The premix i buy also has these skinny oats in it. I would say the 'A' grade oats are exported,'B'grade rolled to flour, 'C' grade to cereals and the crap for horse feed:tongue:

Only really one place to buy oats, Central Otago do super black Oats.

Maybe you can get a group together up north and get a shipment sent up.

Last season I could source good black oats for around $350 a tonne ex Canterbury. No idea about this season though.

Only really one place to buy oats, Central Otago do super black Oats.

Maybe you can get a group together up north and get a shipment sent up.

Last season I could source good black oats for around $350 a tonne ex Canterbury. No idea about this season though.

You wouldn't have a contact number by any chance?

Many years ago I used to work in a Grain Brokers office in Timaru and we use to organise Oats to be sent to North Island trainers from the South Island. I don't know if Grain brokers still exist but you could google it or look in South Island yellow pages online.