RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gerter

How to compare different Track Times?

So I have some software I wrote where I compare the times of dogs running today with the average time of the T/D it was running at. It plots the difference on a scatter graph and it makes it very easy to see dogs that have over performed the average at certain tracks.

However, to my question. I'm trying to improve these charts and one way will be to handicap the times based on what track they were running at.

For example I have found dogs that look fast at Mount Gambier doesn't usually do well at another track because of the quality of dogs at mt. gambier vs the quality at Angle Park.

Anyone have a clue about how to compare track times with other track times? Especially country races into Metro races.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Attached is an example of perfect paris that won for me yesterday.

Capture.JPG

Basically, you're looking for the Beyer Ratings - the guy who developed them has written a number of books on the topic.  The ratings themselves have become an industry standard in the US.

In simple terms, what the Beyer ratings do is first adjust for the course difference - whether it is running fast or slow.  This is done by class so on any given day you can compare times by class and then add or subtract based on whether the times overall are faster or slower.

Once you then have accurate class based times for a course and class, you can then more accurately compare times and adjust for any course based bias.  The key is that averages by course don't take into account class.

For NZ dogs, I've found a simple average by course provides a reasonable marker but I haven't yet added the adjustment for whether the course is running fast or slow.