RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Cup Day Thoughts

(1) Green said it was in harness racing’s interests that a review was held immediately.

“There don’t seem to be any rules and these guys are killing the game. Why would you bet on a race like that again?

“There was a huge amount of money bet on the race and most of it was on us.

“The game is in enough trouble without this going on.”

Ray Green … reluctant to venture south again with Copy That for a standing start unless changes are made.Ray Green … reluctant to venture south again with Copy That for a standing start unless changes are made.Green said the experience had soured him on a return south any time soon.

“It’s disappointing because it’s expensive to come down here.

“I’ll be very reluctant to come down and race in a standing start unless they do something about this.

“I’m not saying we would have won but our chance was extinguished in the first ten metres, along with the others alongside us.

(2) But our investigations reveal Lamb, crucially, did not have a good side-on view of the horses which enabled him to best see their comparative speed and positions.

(3) Im not sure what is worse in these statements from head RIU person on the day.

Ydgren confirmed there was no set rule governing standing starts.

“But we have put together a document that moves all the standing start rules into the regulations to provide a lot more uniformity nationwide and we hope HRNZ adopts it.

“It doesn’t stipulate one particular method. The only way to stop unfair starts is to make a rule that every horse must stand but that hasn’t been favoured in the past.

“My preferred option is that we don’t tie the starters to one method. If the whole field can walk up in unison, and no horse impedes another, why wouldn’t you let them go?

“I wouldn’t like to remove the discretion of the starter so he can get as many horses away as safely and fairly as possible.”

On a postive note Purdon and Co won 3-4 grp 1's and didnt have a runner in the other

On the other side of the coin R Dunn lined up 26 for no wins so it was clearly not their day.

I enjoyed the racing watching on my MacBook at home. The Cup start was a shambles as expected but I backed Ashley Locaz for a place so happy. I had some good collects during the day... My first two bets both broke and I thought I was in for a bad day but then came Vintage Cheddar. Alister Black you beauty. I was in profit from that race on and I kept accumulating. A bit to spend on show day!

Good luck with Show Day punting everyone...

Edited by Thejanitor
spelling

17 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

I enjoyed the racing watching on my MacBook at home. The Cup start was a shambles as expected but I backed Ashley Locaz for a place so happy. I had some good collects during the day... My first two bets both broke and I thought I was in for a bad day but then came Vintage Cheddar. Alister Black you beauty. I was in profit from that race on and I kept accumulating. A bit to spend on show day!

Good luck with Show Day punting everyone...

Well done you. Im sure there were other RC winners along the way . Would love to know how BGP got on . Massive week for those lads and i see they are already lining up a pool to take on NZ Greyhound cup Thursday

I am surprized that no one has brought up the fact of how the Dunn team underperformed on cupday. Yes I understand there is a far bigger issue with the starter but to have more than 25 entered for the day and only get a couple of placings is terrible.

I also note that the Dunn team all also have the nasal strips that the allstars do and after watching the gallops at Riccarton wonder why they do not wear them. Any thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

I also note that the Dunn team all also have the nasal strips that the allstars do and after watching the gallops at Riccarton wonder why they do not wear them. Any thoughts?

I mentioned that in the opening post. Given how much he has spent at the yearling sales the last 3-4 years its not a good look for the major day of the Harness year. He spent  way more than AS and their patrons  .That said he did win the trainers premiership with his 2 stables last season. Mind you AS won more stakes as i recall . 

It might be his turn Show day

Ydgren confirmed there was no set rule governing standing starts.

There shouldn't need to be - walk up, stand, go.

I believe Lamb has conducted meetings (seminars) with the other starters in NZ on such matters as standing starts and getting consistency over the whole country.     Obviously a waste of money.      Many years ago there was a starter at Auckland - John Gavin - who I am sure would never have been dictated to by the drivers.      I am sure John was respected by all who came under his influence.