RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

This is BIG!!!! abbr

28 minutes ago, departed said:

Am I right in thinking that the increased stakes are going to be funded by selling off surplus land owned by Counties, without any further reform of the racing industry?  It reminds me of the money that Winston Peters put in to a few big races, one at Hawkes Bay worth a million dollars, what happened to that?

Just a tiny clarification. Winston didn't fund the race at HB. The $2m Kelt Capital was funded by a generous, but short-lived benefactor. Winston funded five other races; including the $2.2m Derby, because Auckland had to have the richest race in the country. As you say, the three years of $1m+ races didn't do much for the industry and they are mostly back down round the $200,000 mark these days.

NZ Herald attr

Auckland's thoroughbred racing is set for its most dramatic and progressive change in a century in a move that will see Ellerslie upgraded to a world class facility with enormous stake increases.

The Herald understands the Auckland Racing Club and Counties Racing Club are planning to merge, which will be outlined to members today.

And while the Avondale Jockey Club will not be merging but instead retain their identity, their committee is now asking members to agree to close the West Auckland track in 2026 and thereafter race at Ellerslie.

All three clubs will stress to members that proposals are not finalised and the memberships will be widely consulted before plans are actioned.

But in the case of the ARC and CRC it is hard to see the majority of members not agreeing to plans that could double the new merged club's income in five years, which will enable them to double Ellerslie's current average race stake of $50,000 to $100,000 inside.

A new merged Auckland-Counties club, which could be called the Auckland Turf Club, would look to install a new StrathAyr racing surface at Ellerslie which would allow at least 40 race days a year at the central Auckland track.

The installation of the StrathAyr track would likely see no racing at Ellerslie for at least one year, probably longer. That would mean keeping Avondale open would be crucial for racing in the city and the northern region.

One of the other key goals, with club bosses believe are very achievable, is staging 10 races a year worth $500,000 and three $1million races.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.

The Auckland Racing Club already holds three $1million races but only one $500,000 race so that would mean some huge jumps in feature race prize money.

The benefits of a merger between the two clubs, including the dramatic stake increases, are confirmed in an independent report from Deloitte.

"Amalgamation will deliver significantly better returns to the industry than the two clubs continuing independently, hence we recommend the amalgamation proceeds," states the report.

Under the raft of changes across the industry, the Avondale Jockey Club will still exist as a separate club but will race at Ellerslie from 2026 with their West Auckland track to be potentially sold or developed with some money used for the benefit of thoroughbred racing in the region but some retained to keep the AJC alive and, ultimately, far better off.

General view of Avondale jockey club and race course. Photosport General view of Avondale jockey club and race course. Photosport

An Avondale Jockey Club committee's recommendation to members says they will ask AJC members to support "in due course a comprehensive asset-sharing plan between the clubs whereby the AJC site (Avondale) is ultimately to be closed."

That is the first public suggestion from the AJC bosses they are looking at closing their historic facility as was initially suggested in the Messara report and even before.

Powers that could have ultimately forced Avondale's closure were reinforced in the new Racing Act and the AJC were facing an increasingly difficult task to stay open and retain their racing licences issues by NZTR.

If the members support the AJC committee's recommendations then the AJC name will never be lost and they will have plenty of money in the bank but be able to race at the world class facility Ellerslie is expected to become.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.

The prospect of Ellerslie doubling stakes in five years and potentially tripling them in less than 10 years is an enormous shot in the arm for the ailing racing industry which badly needs dramatic stake increases to make racing normal horses even remotely economic.

For the last decade our leading trainers have salivated over skyrocketing stakes in New South Wales and Victoria and while they can aim their best horses at the major carnivals, that is of little help to owners of average New Zealand-trained horses who will only ever race domestically.

Now real change, with a real bottom line boost, could be imminent, coming as a synthetic track at Cambridge is being completed and one at Riccarton started.

Finally there is light at the end of the long, dark tunnel that has been much of New Zealand's domestic racing away from the carnivals in recent years.

36 minutes ago, departed said:

Am I right in thinking that the increased stakes are going to be funded by selling off surplus land owned by Counties, without any further reform of the racing industry?  It reminds me of the money that Winston Peters put in to a few big races, one at Hawkes Bay worth a million dollars, what happened to that?

Counties has already flogged off a lot of the commercially zoned land it had - it entered into a disastrous joint venture with a developer to develop the site which now houses The Warehouse.  it was supposed to deliver riches to the club but instead it walked away but pretty much nothing.  The developers had a field day dealing with a president who fancied himself a bit too much. 

Thinking that selling off some assets will allow for stakes increases into the future is just dreaming.  There will come a day when those assets are all gone and the clubs will have nothing to fall back on.  Installing a Strathayr track will provide a good surface but will not save racing in Auckland.  Comparing Ellerslie with Moonee Valley is like comparing apples with pears - Moonee Valley has Friday night racemeetings that are packed.  The place has atmosphere.  The only day Ellerslie draws a decent crowd is Boxing Day. 

Sorry but selling assets to provide stakesmoney is a short term fix.

Sorry you dont get it.

* Pukekohe is growing fast and the demand for the re-zoned land will be huge.

* The deal would be. Use ARC reserves to build on the land and HOLD. The income of tenancies to support the amalgamated club and the development of Strathayr track at Ellerslie and on course stabling at Pukekohe.. (Probably down the Buckland end)

* Ellerslie closure for the Strathayr would give Avondale a bit more life.

* The re-zone off the land from Rural/Club to Mixed use will have forced Counties hand due to the higher valuations and rate class to mixed use ARC rates.

* The triangular "island block at the entrance is a natural Hotel site.

* As an aside - at the close down for the Strathayr track they might as well take a deep breath and pull down the Ellerslie Members stand. It was a Dorman Long kitset from the UK, I worked on as a apprentice boy. The main structure is Bolt together. There is a fortune in the heart rimu /matai floors 4x3 and 6x2 post tensioned centrally- no nails. By memory 300ft x 50ft x 4.

In my opinion Avondale is a peripheral matter.

Nice to see the two clubs working together, hopefully Avondale jumps in to instead of burying their heads in the sand like they have done for so long.

I mentioned to a board member at the ARC many years ago about the Strath Ayr track, he looked at me in a strange way, muttered a few words along the lines that trainers wouldn’t support it, it was beyond belief.

Anyway, moving right along, a few positives on the way hopefully, our new track here at Cambridge is magic, been riding work on it myself, it is superb!
Thankfully we got it before Winston lost his position, thanks, you did our industry a good turn!

This is fantastic news! :wub:  Best I've heard in 20+ years if not more! 😎
Congratulations Counties RC & Auckland RC coming together with a very positive future plan.
I'm hopeful and confident Avondale JC will jump on board with this great initiative and business plan for Auckland Racing INC.
I don't think Avondale is asking too much to continue while the awesome StrathAyr surface is being installed at Ellerslie. (Good faith arrangement from Auckland & Counties)
Lets spend this wisely though team....do not do what the clowns at headquarters have down previously! Spend within your means! 🤑
We don't necessarily need $1,000,000 dollar races when $500,000 is plenty for NZ Racing class. We want winning stakes paid out to stay in NZ for re-investment locally not go offshore to Aussie raiders.
SPREAD THE WEALTH!
Other than that....FULL STEAM AHEAD AUCKLAND RACING INC! I will become a fully paid up member of all three Clubs if this super project comes to fruition!:wub:

Looking from the outside and not knowing all the details, it reads as very positive news.

My only question is whether the Strathayr track will be additional to or instead of the existing turf track? There's also the small matter of the jump track at Ellerslie used for the Great Northern among others - I presume that would be retained except for one year when the jumps races will have to be run elsewhere?

40 meetings a year is reasonable for an all-weather track - would there be any notion of using floodlights to stage night racing for sale to other markets?

Just now, stodge said:

Looking from the outside and not knowing all the details, it reads as very positive news.

My only question is whether the Strathayr track will be additional to or instead of the existing turf track? There's also the small matter of the jump track at Ellerslie used for the Great Northern among others - I presume that would be retained except for one year when the jumps races will have to be run elsewhere?

40 meetings a year is reasonable for an all-weather track - would there be any notion of using floodlights to stage night racing for sale to other markets?

Replace existing turf track with new strathary track.  

4 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Replace existing turf track with new strathary track.  

Shane, is it possible that the Deloitte report could be posted here or released somewhere to the rest of the industry if it hasn't been already?

5 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Shane, is it possible that the Deloitte report could be posted here or released somewhere to the rest of the industry if it hasn't been already?

Hi Leggy

The Deloitte Report was commissioned by ARC not CRC.  So it is their property so I am unfortunately not in a position to do that.  I would also believe some of the commercial details (re land and buildings) would be of a sensitive nature.  I am aure that this report will be discussed with ARC and CRC members.  Are you a member or either Club?

Thanks

4 hours ago, stodge said:

Strathayr is turf. It’s more a drainage system that is tuned to climatic conditions with turf as the top cover. There are at least 7 or 8 Strathayr track systems installed in Australia. Singapore and Hong Kong also have them. The main track in Oz with it is Moonee Valley. Toowoomba put a synthetic track in (against advice) and it was replaced soon after by a Strathayr track. Newcastle has one, MacKay (Qld) and I think MOE in country Victoria has one. You don’t get cancelations at these venues because of “track conditions”.

9 hours ago, stodge said:

In regards to lighting in the last paragraph - If there is a overseas market for quality night racing from Auckland let's do it once do it properly..... Install the lights and the Strafyer track and get on with it 👍

25 minutes ago, Kingshill said:

In regards to lighting in the last paragraph - If there is a overseas market for quality night racing from Auckland let's do it once do it properly..... Install the lights and the Strafyer track and get on with it 👍

The Gold Coast is going to be a night racing venue and being the holiday capital of Oz, it’s about time - after lots of broken promises. They’ll run racing in conjunction with Moonee Valley nights. But given the Gold Coast winter is a “no rain” period, night racing in winter would see an influx of horses from SYd and Melb. The Waller/Shailer Stable would see a lot more residents - longing to get out of the crap southern winters. Ellerslie night racing could be a twilight lead in to MV and GC ! 

The big worry for me with all this is I don't see any talk here about how this will help racing develop more revenue from its own activities. It seems to me that it is another step in the direction of NZ racing becoming an even greater beneficiary of revenue streams from other sources.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

The big worry for me with all this is I don't see any talk here about how this will help racing develop more revenue from its own activities. It seems to me that it is another step in the direction of NZ racing becoming an even greater beneficiary of revenue streams from other sources.

Well it would have to come with re-engagement of the populace with emphasis on the young. Hard to do if you are broke. But with money and a clear plan------

(I see re-introduction of Trackside and Racefields back on the agenda at TR.Make a wish!)

Legs, the big issue is the ATC will overpower the rest of NZ. I could see top trainers taking boxes at Puke for an easy run to Ellerslis's 40? meetings a year.

I think Waikato may feel the cold draught unless they go Greefields and make a hub.

Probably needs a hub at Palmy and another at ChCh. Whats left are HB Carnivals and Country meetings.

Nerula said, “Legs, the big issue is the ATC will overpower the rest of NZ. I could see top trainers taking boxes at Puke for an easy run to Ellerslis's 40? meetings a year”.

If this happened because they were smarter, more professional, had 20 year Plan (true) that they stuck to and adjusted if needed to suit the times, etc etc, then why not? You can’t bring people or Organisations “down” to a lower level. We should be having a very strong upper level of Clubs. That can only better the “smaller feeder Clubs”. 
Australia do it very successfully and have a multi tiered Racing Club system. City, supported by a strong Country Club system with TAB meetings, then the non-TAB Clubs and Picnic Clubs. All feed from each other. 
I wouldn’t be scared Nerula - I’d be encouraging strength at the top and applauding it. You only have to look at the contrasting Clubs of Ellerslie and Avondale. Chalk and Cheese. And Avondale could have been merged with Ellerslie 10 years ago (or more) if they took their heads out of the sand. And don’t forget who gave Counties about $2m to go towards lights and training track. Ellerslie. 

10 hours ago, Archer said:

Don't know who you are nerula, but you and your friends are going to slip down the sewage drains of both courses  ....  :) 

FYI, I am Neil Miller. I edit the New Zealand Thoroughbred Owners Bulletin and am unpaid for that. I am an Honorary Member of Counties Racing Club. I was born on Pukekohe hill and have many relatives there. My forebears are in the cemetery and I see their graves.  

A paternal forebear was a founding Committeeman on The Franklin Racing Club and the Franklin Electric Power Board, also President of the Growers Assn.

I have a fond association with Ellerslie as I was first chippy (apprentice) to work on the Ascot Stand.

Can you please tell us who you are and we could try to see how we can help you. You seem to be in a dark place. Meds are important in some issues

Lol  .... 🤣

Thanks for the genie report and no one doubts your enthusiasm for this deal, but the ARC are overweight trough eaters and will devour you completely in a few years and our only memory of the club will be a small Cup race.  

Medication not required, but a bottle of Laphroaig would be a nice chrissy present, thanks.  :) 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Lol  .... 🤣

Thanks for the genie report and no one doubts your enthusiasm for this deal, but the ARC are overweight trough eaters and will devour you completely in a few years and our only memory of the club will be a small Cup race.  

Medication not required, but a bottle of Laphroaig would be a nice chrissy present, thanks.  :) 

You’re an Avondale member? 

Archer you are not very bright.  A clubs remit comes from the will of the members. An expansion of amalgamated clubs reduces the power of the previous dominant club.

A lot will depend on the Memorandum Of Understanding MOU between the clubs which I presume is under discussion now. I am not a party to that.