poundforpound

This is what happens when horses aren’t trained in a way so that their bones are hardened

I see some former whingers of this site saying the comments by Leo on this thread are somehow off the mark. After speaking to one of THE best Veterinary surgeons in the world today I think they need to pull the heads out from their proverbial and wake up as this is a serious situation.

The injuries or sickness of the bone that is causing these catastrophic injuries is present long before they get on the plane to come down under to race. The VRC needs to instigate a better protocol and ALL horses intending to make the journey should have a minimum cintigraphy (sorry if not spelt right), exam with results examined and evaluated by an independent body other than the VRC or Racing Victoria, as they have a vested interest in the horses coming down, before they are allowed to even board a plane out here. The horses MUST be sound before leaving to come out here this will eliminate most of the if not all the issues.They also should NOT be able to have any medication to any form of joints or associated limbs for a minimum of 30 days before the cup.

So all you naysayers wake up...if this is not addressed the Cup will be Donald Ducked....JMO.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I see some former whingers of this site saying the comments by Leo on this thread are somehow off the mark.

Where did you see that? Everything I've seen agrees with him in principle but of course we don't yet know with respect to this particular case.

And no biggie, quite clear what you mean scoobs but it is scintigraphy.

Btw, I totally agree with you and the vet that you talked to that some such process should be effectednto mitigate the risk of catastrophic injury. Do you think it should be applied to all horses, not just the European invaders, and maybe not just for Melbourne Cup contenders?

I think if most horses were scanned, we be scratching to full any fields, will be way more prevalent than what you would think, as I've said before anyone interested can look up and listen to how to avoid racehorse injuries, while maximizing performance, I found it very interesting, and explained in layman's terms, a must watch.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Where did you see that? Everything I've seen agrees with him in principle but of course we don't yet know with respect to this particular case.

And no biggie, quite clear what you mean scoobs but it is scintigraphy.

Btw, I totally agree with you and the vet that you talked to that some such process should be effectednto mitigate the risk of catastrophic injury. Do you think it should be applied to all horses, not just the European invaders, and maybe not just for Melbourne Cup contenders?

The more it can be done for all races the better off the sport will be.