RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

Activists out in force on Melbourne Cup Day

Once again the animal activists are out protesting on Melbourne Cup day.

When will these jolly well "activists" go and educate themselves on the wider picture of horse racing & it's contributions to the well-being & public health of the wider Society & Communities?

It's not like they themselves are contributing any value to society.

The sooner some of these activists are hauled into line, along with "Petition website operators" who are unregulated & known to be used by bots to get Petition numbers up the better for all.

The sooner they learn the wider picture of horse racing & the betterment of Society for it the better.

A great place to start is reading in our fabulous National library website.

Just read the stuff websites all you need to know about the Melbourne Cup and in the comments what do ya get 

What are the odds of a horse dying in the pursuit of people's entertainment,I bet these are the same no hopes posting about farmers and supposed polluting of everything,they are a rare breed these people.

To be fair to reasonable animal welfare advocates to a certain extent pressure makes those that can change things change for better . For example Santa Anita , zero casualties this meet just closed , raceday or track work.  Changes wouldn't come without pressure.  As for Racing Victoria they appear to do a very good job in Horse welfare so should be able to bat away the most hot headed complaints , and consult with the level headed advocates , some people will never be happy with racing,  that is something they will have to learn to live with as racing going nowhere .

47 minutes ago, Trump said:

They will be active after AVD came to rest! 

Showed AVB breaking down on the TV1 news tonight , with a spotlight on him , with broken leg flapping about , trying to be pulled up  . A despicable and inflammatory piece of journalism , completely unnecessary .

It paints one picture to people watching , but not the whole picture of racing .

8 hours ago, nomates said:

Showed AVB breaking down on the TV1 news tonight , with a spotlight on him , with broken leg flapping about , trying to be pulled up  . A despicable and inflammatory piece of journalism , completely unnecessary .

It paints one picture to people watching , but not the whole picture of racing .

So true with most journalism these days. To get a true picture you need to look at how many times this happens against the total number of times horses go around in races in a year. How many polo ponies, pony club ponies, show jumpers, eventers, and hunters are euthanised each year versus the number of horses competing at these events? To get the true picture you need a genuine investigative journalist. Do they exist anymore?

Only story about the MC this morning is about the abuse of the whip and jockeys getting large fines and suspensions , nada about what a great ride it was from the winning jock or any other positives . 

The other side of the coin tho is , when are the jocks going to wake up , just because it's a big race doesn't  mean normal riding rules go out the window , we don't help ourselfs .

10 hours ago, nomates said:

Yeah they certainly give these animal rights protestors petrol for the fire, not even a warning to those viewers to look away, like they do with any others gruesome clips involving humans or other objectionable material. 

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Yeah they certainly give these animal rights protestors petrol for the fire, not even a warning to those viewers to look away, like they do with any others gruesome clips involving humans or other objectionable material. 

The bit that got me was they had a spotlight on the horse as it happened and as the jockey tried pulling him up , it was totally unnecessary . I've seen plenty of injuries in my life and i don't even want to watch it , how would it be for some kids .

It totally sucks that this is the way we're portrayed in mainstream media when this happens, indeed.

The jockeys won't stop breaking the whip rules. If they're a chance halfway up the straight in a Melbourne Cup, the last thing they'll be thinking about is the whip rule or stewards. I think the only way to fix it is to just take them away altogether (or only have them carry them for safety, etc). It pains me a bit to imagine what non-racing people think when they see a close finish - whips flying everywhere.

That can be fixed with education on the actual 'whip' is, and the reason it's used... but it's much more simple and effective to ditch them, for the sake of giving racing a more friendly image.

You can stop them breaking the whip rules , make it so costly in financial terms along with extremely long suspensions . This is the image of racing that we need to protect , if jocks don't want to play their part they can pay the cost , along with disqualifying horses who's riders break these rules , that will stop the owners telling them don't worry we will cover your costs .

Drastic i know but this is not going to go away , we have to take away the protesters voice , by giving them very little to fight with they have no real voice .

They wont have to take these drastic measures for long , if they are extreme enough jocks and trainers and owners will soon fall into line .

Every meeting you see the stewards report and there are jocks getting warnings and small fines , wake up . The world is changing and racing has to keep evolving .

5 hours ago, nomates said:

The bit that got me was they had a spotlight on the horse as it happened and as the jockey tried pulling him up , it was totally unnecessary . I've seen plenty of injuries in my life and i don't even want to watch it , how would it be for some kids .

Quite clear who's side their on.

52 minutes ago, nomates said:

You can stop them breaking the whip rules , make it so costly in financial terms along with extremely long suspensions . This is the image of racing that we need to protect , if jocks don't want to play their part they can pay the cost , along with disqualifying horses who's riders break these rules , that will stop the owners telling them don't worry we will cover your costs .

Drastic i know but this is not going to go away , we have to take away the protesters voice , by giving them very little to fight with they have no real voice .

They wont have to take these drastic measures for long , if they are extreme enough jocks and trainers and owners will soon fall into line .

Every meeting you see the stewards report and there are jocks getting warnings and small fines , wake up . The world is changing and racing has to keep evolving .

McEvoy was fined $50,000 for overuse of the whip on Tiger Moth....21 times in total. Suspended for 13 meetings.

His riding percentage was $55,000 so a bloody expensive mistake.....🙄

And this is what will stop them , 13 too light , make it 3 months , that will make them think twice next time . I know it is extreme , but that was the only MC story first thing this morning instead of the great win and ride . Don't give the activists oxygen .

And i don't think it was a mistake , it is a calculated gamble on his part . Simply don't do it , it is the part that jockey's have to play to shut the activists up , not hard , just do don't do it .

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

And this is what will stop them , 13 too light , make it 3 months , that will make them think twice next time . I know it is extreme , but that was the only MC story first thing this morning instead of the great win and ride . Don't give the activists oxygen .

And i don't think it was a mistake , it is a calculated gamble on his part . Simply don't do it , it is the part that jockey's have to play to shut the activists up , not hard , just do don't do it .

Winning jockey gets $220,000....what would you do....?

3 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Winning jockey gets $220,000....what would you do....?

If you really want to stop it , easy , if the jockey breaks the whip rule to get a part of the stake then the horse is disqualified , and the jockey gets a month for every strike over the rules . It sounds drastic and it is , but how many times do you think it would happen before everybody fell into line , not many i think .

Owners and trainers would soon wake up to putting up jocks that were riding within the rules .

It's a different world and racing has to work within it .

11 hours ago, nomates said:

If you really want to stop it , easy , if the jockey breaks the whip rule to get a part of the stake then the horse is disqualified , and the jockey gets a month for every strike over the rules . It sounds drastic and it is , but how many times do you think it would happen before everybody fell into line , not many i think .

Owners and trainers would soon wake up to putting up jocks that were riding within the rules .

It's a different world and racing has to work within it .

The whip rule is a joke...the jockeys get hammered with fines and suspensions but not one protest has been upheld. A joke.....

51 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

The whip rule is a joke...the jockeys get hammered with fines and suspensions but not one protest has been upheld. A joke.....

Yep , and that is the thing that will bring it home to them that they can't keep doing it . Owners and trainers wont be happy if they lose a group race .