RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lad27

Found this on trademe

Well before my time too.

The Simpson Challenge Stakes was a c3 520m run at Hutt Park in August (at least in 1992 and 1993).

The Mayor's Cup was a c4 at the same track and distance in February (in 1993).

Capable Lass (one of the only names I can make out on either trophy) won the former in '92 and the latter in '93, for A J Cobain. I only know of Nancy Cobain, so maybe someone else can fill us in.

Capable Lass ran 2nd in a Kingston Cup, NZ Stayers Cup, and Auckland Cup. She won a "NZ Cup Distance" (Addington InvD in July), NZ Futurity, Waterloo Cup, and Silver Collar.

Those were the days! When people were racing for the sentimental value of certain trophies/ribbons and for the love of it as much as anything else.

Reminds me of a Trophy everyone wanted to win back in the day at the Manawatu track.. the Applejack boy cup. C2 middle distance if I remember rightly and I think the trophy was huge hence the reason people targeted it on the racing calendar, I'm sure the Cobain kennel would've won a few Applejack Boy's.