RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Debbie Harris - New Plymouth

H'mm... 360 views zero replies. Don't think there are hopefuls for mastermind here.

The point is have Trackside presenters delved into profiles of these newcomers or have journalists for that matter?  Most other sports we get these pieces on promising participants.

On another moan. Why no North Island meetings today. Even before Newcastle being abandoned there was nothing of note in Australia meaning Oz punters could have switched interest to New Zealand. So no Queensland, no NSW and only Echuca in Victoria right in the middle of the peak racing season in Australia.

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

H'mm... 360 views zero replies. Don't think there are hopefuls for mastermind here.

The point is have Trackside presenters delved into profiles of these newcomers or have journalists for that matter?  Most other sports we get these pieces on promising participants.

On another moan. Why no North Island meetings today. Even before Newcastle being abandoned there was nothing of note in Australia meaning Oz punters could have switched interest to New Zealand. So no Queensland, no NSW and only Echuca in Victoria right in the middle of the peak racing season in Australia.

I agree , a dropped ball here , public holiday and only 1 meeting in the deep south . How much money was bet on this meeting from punters in the N I , not much i would surmise . Absolutely no reason that there wasn't a meeting in the N I . They are supposed to be trying to improve revenue , not like this .

I believe one big reason is the wages bill on a statutory holiday.  85 years ago statutory holidays were the best days to have racing.  Ellerslie had every one of them except for Labour Day which used to be the Waikato Hunt day.  Back in those days the Waikato Hunt Cup was the richest race in the Waikato.

Weird, eh?

11 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I believe one big reason is the wages bill on a statutory holiday.  85 years ago statutory holidays were the best days to have racing.  Ellerslie had every one of them except for Labour Day which used to be the Waikato Hunt day.  Back in those days the Waikato Hunt Cup was the richest race in the Waikato.

Weird, eh?

Yes, it's not a good look that virtually no clubs can afford to race on a public holiday these days. Trentham used to race today, now they can't afford to. Both Trentham and Awapuni used to race on Wgtn Anniversary day, these days neither can be bothered. Te Rapa used to race today, now they aren't interested. Riccarton used to race at Easter and on Waitangi day, not any more. I'm amazed anyone wants to race on Boxing Day and New Years Day. Thank god for Riverton who probably carry more public holiday racing than any other club. Lucky Messara didn't get his wish to close them down.

8 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, it's not a good look that virtually no clubs can afford to race on a public holiday these days. Trentham used to race today, now they can't afford to. Both Trentham and Awapuni used to race on Wgtn Anniversary day, these days neither can be bothered. Te Rapa used to race today, now they aren't interested. Riccarton used to race at Easter and on Waitangi day, not any more. I'm amazed anyone wants to race on Boxing Day and New Years Day. Thank god for Riverton who probably carry more public holiday racing than any other club. Lucky Messara didn't get his wish to close them down.

Yet.

If anyone had being reading the track work on the love racing site, the would have taken total sass that she trains, had been working well, I find the track work segment a huge help when trying to find a winner, definitely a welcome edition to the site. 

3 hours ago, Shad said:

If anyone had being reading the track work on the love racing site, the would have taken total sass that she trains, had been working well, I find the track work segment a huge help when trying to find a winner, definitely a welcome edition to the site. 

Someone has to produce the reports. How much do the reporters get paid? Does NZTR pay them?  If so then something like 3 hours required with travel to and from the track. Expertise required i.e. knowledge of trainers, riders and horses. Therefore $50/per hour not unreasonable.

The reports themselves at the moment leave much to be desired.  There seems little general observation of a horses condition or breaking news from the track. Not many times the first starter is given an honest assessment.

Clearly something needs to be done by the millionaire managers in Wellington to create a job for the trackwork reporter encompassing liason with trainers, owners, riders even sponsors and promotion of racing club goals. John Jenkins does excellent work for Hawkes Bay Racing and seems to have a TAB contract. Nevertheless there needs to be a broad arrangement and incentives for all centres.

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Someone has to produce the reports. How much do the reporters get paid? Does NZTR pay them?  If so then something like 3 hours required with travel to and from the track. Expertise required i.e. knowledge of trainers, riders and horses. Therefore $50/per hour not unreasonable.

The reports themselves at the moment leave much to be desired.  There seems little general observation of a horses condition or breaking news from the track. Not many times the first starter is given an honest assessment.

Clearly something needs to be done by the millionaire managers in Wellington to create a job for the trackwork reporter encompassing liason with trainers, owners, riders even sponsors and promotion of racing club goals. John Jenkins does excellent work for Hawkes Bay Racing and seems to have a TAB contract. Nevertheless there needs to be a broad arrangement and incentives for all centres.

Trackwork from New Plymouth Raceway is provided by Taranaki Racing Inc, to LoveRacing, free of charge, as part of our initiatives to provide punters with as much information as possible from New Plymouth Raceway. This also includes our Jump Out reporting - YouTube videos of the heats, and the results. This is all carried out by Taranaki Racing staff, no third party providers are engaged or paid.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:51 PM, nomates said:

I agree , a dropped ball here , public holiday and only 1 meeting in the deep south . How much money was bet on this meeting from punters in the N I , not much i would surmise . Absolutely no reason that there wasn't a meeting in the N I . They are supposed to be trying to improve revenue , not like this .

I watched races all afternoon from Ascot and Ashvegas. The latter's the 2nd best harness  racing day of the season IMHO

Betting wide with TABCORP the Southland gallops were by far the better patronized on pari mutual. It goes to show that harness appeal is dwindling  in both Oz and here as Ascot fields were ordinary at best.

A NZ metro meeting would have made a killing yesterday even though Oz gallops were abandoned

I had a few bets on Ascot Park , as i like a challange , then went out ,  but no one else that i know had a punt . I didn't even look at Ashvegas as i know very little about harness outside of the cup week meeting , seen the mile races , never even heard of Copy That . My point being , there would be very few significant cross code punters , big ask to know the form in both codes and as i said very few punters north of Taupo would probably even know where Invercargill is . Joke ! Partly .

Things have changed , used to be Te Rapa and Trentham's 2nd day along with a southern meeting on Labour Monday . But a northern districts meeting should have been programmed to cater for the northern galloping punters . 12 races at Te Aroha on Wed so plenty of horses about . There was revenue dollars to be made , being a public holiday .

2 hours ago, nomates said:

I had a few bets on Ascot Park , as i like a challange , then went out ,  but no one else that i know had a punt . I didn't even look at Ashvegas as i know very little about harness outside of the cup week meeting , seen the mile races , never even heard of Copy That . My point being , there would be very few significant cross code punters , big ask to know the form in both codes and as i said very few punters north of Taupo would probably even know where Invercargill is . Joke ! Partly .

Things have changed , used to be Te Rapa and Trentham's 2nd day along with a southern meeting on Labour Monday . But a northern districts meeting should have been programmed to cater for the northern galloping punters . 12 races at Te Aroha on Wed so plenty of horses about . There was revenue dollars to be made , being a public holiday .

Sadly, it has pretty much been amateur hour for many years now as far as race dates and programming is concerned, and it is only getting worse. I often wonder what NZTR was busy doing during lock down; they had so much time to sit down and think about how to improve the whole pattern of racing, but pretty obviously they just aren't up to it. I can't think of a single creative idea they have come up with so far this season.

14 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Sadly, it has pretty much been amateur hour for many years now as far as race dates and programming is concerned, and it is only getting worse. I often wonder what NZTR was busy doing during lock down; they had so much time to sit down and think about how to improve the whole pattern of racing, but pretty obviously they just aren't up to it. I can't think of a single creative idea they have come up with so far this season.

The mess they have made of the calendar isn't helping , they have what they call ICONIC meetings i e , Karaka Millions , and that is all well and good but in reality they have decimated the true ICONIC meetings , Auck and Wgtn cup meetings , the Auckland Easter weekend , the Great Northern Queens birthday meeting as examples , the Levin classic day as well , and there are others . They have then tried to reinvent new Iconic meetings but the damage is done . Holding onto history isn't always a bad thing , you can put a modern twist on things without losing the DNA of what they are .

They are not alone in the blame for this shambles , the clubs involved in the ones i have mentioned are complicit in the destruction of these great days , either by helping to promote these changes or in allowing themselves to be bullied into the current changes .

I have attended all of these meetings , more than once , and in the case of the Wgtn cup meeting and the Bayer/levin classic day these were legendary and must attend days at the races , a must not miss . For myself and many others i know they have become non events .

As for the Covid lockdown it was an opportunity to start completely recalibrate the industry , the only reason they didn't and don't is that they simply don't know where to start . The changes made are simply a plan to keep us in a holding pattern . It's never too late but the longer we take to start initiating serious change the harder it will become .

On 10/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, nomates said:

The mess they have made of the calendar isn't helping , they have what they call ICONIC meetings i e , Karaka Millions , and that is all well and good but in reality they have decimated the true ICONIC meetings , Auck and Wgtn cup meetings , the Auckland Easter weekend , the Great Northern Queens birthday meeting as examples , the Levin classic day as well , and there are others . They have then tried to reinvent new Iconic meetings but the damage is done . Holding onto history isn't always a bad thing , you can put a modern twist on things without losing the DNA of what they are .

They are not alone in the blame for this shambles , the clubs involved in the ones i have mentioned are complicit in the destruction of these great days , either by helping to promote these changes or in allowing themselves to be bullied into the current changes .

I have attended all of these meetings , more than once , and in the case of the Wgtn cup meeting and the Bayer/levin classic day these were legendary and must attend days at the races , a must not miss . For myself and many others i know they have become non events .

As for the Covid lockdown it was an opportunity to start completely recalibrate the industry , the only reason they didn't and don't is that they simply don't know where to start . The changes made are simply a plan to keep us in a holding pattern . It's never too late but the longer we take to start initiating serious change the harder it will become .

They think that by taking licences off Gore and Waimate they are being decisive and showing great leadership, but it is achieving nothing. You can just imagine the cock up they will make of the Riccarton all weather, especially now Winston isn't there to back them up.

58 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

They think that by taking licences off Gore and Waimate they are being decisive and showing great leadership, but it is achieving nothing. You can just imagine the cock up they will make of the Riccarton all weather, especially now Winston isn't there to back them up.

No meetings on Labour day in NI or other holidays because of the cost of staff possibly, no thought of offering meetings to some of the smaller clubs that would make something of them and actually promote the sport in a digestible manner.

Most clubs have sold their souls to the booze up crowd at the expense of rewarding race horse owners with a good race day experience, most meetings you go to youre lucky to see your horse come up the straight , let alone parading because the club have sold a section to a sponsor or a party or built/put a structure in the way, but this is all important to the clubs making a living and promoting the sport -what a farce!

Facilities and infrastructure for the horse/participants are an absolute joke at 90% of the race tracks around the country, in fact they are an after thought ! - but isn't the horse the reason we are supposed to be there in the first place?

Why would anyone bother going to the races now , the experience is absolutely vanilla and youre liable to run into a crowd of yobbos the racing club have given the best sit in the house to cause they are spending money over the bar.

Don't get me started on the amateur hour prevailing at nearly every racing club in the country, surely NZTR could make sure that side of things actually worked?

The entire sport needs a complete rethink and new faces . 

2 hours ago, Huey said:

No meetings on Labour day in NI or other holidays because of the cost of staff possibly, no thought of offering meetings to some of the smaller clubs that would make something of them and actually promote the sport in a digestible manner.

The biggest farce around dates is Wgtn Anniversary Day , no meeting in the lower NI , where everyone is having a day off . But there is a meeting programmed for Matamata , WTF , how clueless is this . These pricks are running racing into the ground , fucking clueless . 

When i seen it i had to take a double take and i have gone back a couple of times to verify it . If ever there was a clue that they want racing north of Taupo only this is it . 

Tony Pike mentioned centralisation of racing in his spiel about the Cambridge A/W .

Make of it what you will but i see nothing that is going to stop the rot .