RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Crow

When is it right

When is it right to pull horse up in a jumping race. Being uncompetitive yes, losing tack with field yes, but what about horse pulling it's block off just behind the feild coming to second last jump in straight and the rider pulling the horse away from jump therefore taking him out of race. Then he could hardly pull it up as it chased the feild home. So when is the pull up rule not adhered too or why do the stipes not question such action. Just watch the ride on Hamiltonian at Hawera and wonder why 

48 minutes ago, Crow said:

When is it right to pull horse up in a jumping race. Being uncompetitive yes, losing tack with field yes, but what about horse pulling it's block off just behind the feild coming to second last jump in straight and the rider pulling the horse away from jump therefore taking him out of race. Then he could hardly pull it up as it chased the feild home. So when is the pull up rule not adhered too or why do the stipes not question such action. Just watch the ride on Hamiltonian at Hawera and wonder why 

Only quickly watched the early races this weekend , must be something in stripes about him . My recollection and could be wrong one runner under pump was pulled up just ahead of him and I thought maybe he had followed it out , or maybe gear issue off the bend and trouble turning because he looked to have plenty horse . Was there nothing in stripes as imho there should have been a line about it .

52 minutes ago, Crow said:

Stipes said couple poor jumps prior , I kind of whizzed through them a bit but did look to be going OK as I do recall rewinding tape quickly to see what happened to him as it did stand out .  Maybe he knew horse had little left , couple poor jumps and took live to fight another day path rather than force him on late  , better that than flog poor bugger and he tips up next fence and does jockey or horse serious injury .It probably needed another line in stipes to be fair to clear it up a bit .

50 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Only quickly watched the early races this weekend , must be something in stripes about him . My recollection and could be wrong one runner under pump was pulled up just ahead of him and I thought maybe he had followed it out , or maybe gear issue off the bend and trouble turning because he looked to have plenty horse . Was there nothing in stripes as imho there should have been a line about it .

He was only horse pulled up hadn't asked horse for any effort in my mind horse wasn't given the opportunity to preform. Stipes seem to be sitting on fence even with Oatham in attendance

41 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Stipes said couple poor jumps prior , I kind of whizzed through them a bit but did look to be going OK as I do recall rewinding tape quickly to see what happened to him as it did stand out .  Maybe he knew horse had little left , couple poor jumps and took live to fight another day path rather than force him on late  , better that than flog poor bugger and he tips up next fence and does jockey or horse serious injury .It probably needed another line in stipes to be fair to clear it up a bit .

Because the horse whizzed through a couple because the jockey wouldn't let head go does that give him the right to pull horse up. Why would you bother racing a jumper then.

18 minutes ago, Blue said:

I find it pays to look at the rider as well. Some are not overly confident if it's their first ride on the horse and some only win by the law of averages.

Well they are paid to do the job ride the horse, to give the horse every possible chance to win the race. If the job description doesn't suit the rider they shouldn't be allowed be allowed to take the ride. The real point of the matter is were the connections of the horse given a fair go with their  horse and why didn't the stipes question the jockey over his ride as it was like the rider of The Big Opal being suspended for failing to ride the horse out to give it a chance of finishing closer, only he jumped all the jumps.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

Because the horse whizzed through a couple because the jockey wouldn't let head go does that give him the right to pull horse up. Why would you bother racing a jumper then.

Meant I whizzed through race a bit on record , like I say it did stand out to me at time  so much so I rewatched from turn couple times as did look odd and as soon as I read your post I knew what horse you were talking about ,  I just assumed it was gear or steering issue and as I never had a bet in race didn't bother looking at stipes  . I will suffer the buffering on NZTR and watch it again , but agree totally it needed a bit more in stipes just to clear it up. 

Might pay to go back and watch the race again.

Was under hard riding before the turn to stay in contact, tacked onto the back of the field and was forced wide completing the turn, forced wider still and was pulled out from the jump.

Not without a miracle was it going to finish closer than its position when removed, nothing to see here.

Cropp made the right decision by the horse, connections and himself.

55 minutes ago, barryb said:

Was under hard riding before the turn to stay in contact, tacked onto the back of the field and was forced wide completing the turn, forced wider still and was pulled out from the jump.

Not without a miracle was it going to finish closer than its position when removed, nothing to see here.

Cropps mistake was not letting the horse slide earlier . looked to be travelling comfortably until the pressure was applied after the early amble,then made a mistake at the jump near the  thousand as a result of an increase in tempo,so another average jump at the next fence wasnt surprising. The fact the leader turned  up the wick late is irrelevant, how many who sit back on dawdles expect to run into the money? With your argument they should all give up 🤔 

15 hours ago, barryb said:

Only hard ride it was under was Cropp pulling it back. See he has a couple of rides in the Northerns this week so must have been looking after himself

11 hours ago, Crow said:

Only hard ride it was under was Cropp pulling it back. See he has a couple of rides in the Northerns this week so must have been looking after himself

Bazza is normally very astute Crow , one can only summise hes succumb to Covid bullshit syndrome.... he will recover 😀

13 hours ago, Gruff said:

Bazza is normally very astute Crow , one can only summise hes succumb to Covid bullshit syndrome.... he will recover 😀

I just re looked again to check my facts. 

It was under a nice reign till the 1000 jump where it didnt jump it at all and smashed through the hurdle, the hurdle at the 800 mark it slowed right up and hoped over on an angle (was beaten at this stage) Matt proceeds to ride the horse hard for the length of the turn, tacks onto field & struggling, proceeds to get carted wide and wider again by Ave Maria & would have had to be re checked on his run to make the hurdle, (Ave Maria was just able to scramble on it out very wide) pulled out of the race was the right option.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

I just re looked again to check my facts. 

It was under a nice reign till the 1000 jump where it didnt jump it at all and smashed through the hurdle, the hurdle at the 800 mark it slowed right up and hoped over on an angle (was beaten at this stage) Matt proceeds to ride the horse hard for the length of the turn, tacks onto field & struggling, proceeds to get carted wide and wider again by Ave Maria & would have had to be re checked on his run to make the hurdle, (Ave Maria was just able to scramble on it out very wide) pulled out of the race was the right option.

Jump at 100 came up wrong horse chipped into it  and next jump jumped a bit high running it down a fraction and lost momentum and the rider gave it a couple of kicks and a  slap with stick  then at 600  another couple of kicks then proceeded to pull it up. It that's been hard ridden your glasses must of fogged up as for getting carted out by Ave Maria proves he still had a horse under him as he had already made up his mind to pull it up before then anyway that why it was that wide but the horse had  put itself back into  the race. If it was his intention was to ride the horse to give it every chance he would have stayed  near the rail. Was the horse given every opportunity to preform, races aren't won at the 1000 or 800 or 600 but at the winning post.