RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

National makes promises for $1.6b racing industry, including tax review

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:
4 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

A couple of weekends ago while on my daily walk I came across Ian McKelvie  delivering pamphlets into letterboxes and I complemented both he and the Select Committee on completely turning around the original Racing Bill........he commented that on the Select Committee they were very lucky to have the Greens member Ms Dowie who was probably the driving force on the Select Committee.......thought that was interesting....

Sarah Dowie ?? Green ???

think he means Jan Logie

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

I was told Jan Logie was very good.

At least she was a member of the select committee that considered the matter. I don't think Saarah Dowie was. So if McKelvie thought so that's a bit of a worry. Not that I think there ended up anything in the Act that will assist racing. If he thinks that as well, then we have a greater worry there.

10 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Good stuff Stodge....it relies on local Racing Clubs actually getting off their arses and promoting their own meetings.....how hard is it to put together a calendar of dates with the major races outlined...?? Wouldn’t be an expensive exercise to provide these flyers to Hotels/Motels in the area.

As for Tourists......until Her Majesty decides when the borders can re open, and that might not be this year, we are reliant on locals only.

Tourists will return one day - of that I'm certain. Your country (and mine) relies too heavily on international travel for it to be otherwise.

To be honest, the UK doesn't do any better - if you walk into any London Hotel you won't find any information about horse race meetings but if you want to visit all the tourist attractions you'll have all the information you need.

At the top hotels (Savoy, Ritz, Corinthia etc) the Concierge would sort all that including transport to and from the course if need be and that's fine if you are a wealthy owner but the average visiting punter has much less chance.

A number of courses in and around London are near railway stations (Sandown, Kempton, Plumpton, Lingfield, Ascot to name but five) and there used to be a combined rail/racing ticket where if you went to the track by train and produced your ticket at the gate, you got discounted admission.

That doesn't really apply at a lot of NZ meetings where there's no admission so the inducement has to be for those getting punters to and from the races (bus companies, taxi firms). The Club could hire a coach to pick up from nearby towns - get some more punters in, eating, drinking and wagering and the thing pays for itself.

Every regional tourist centre should be pushing the idea of a day at the races and, as I said, offer some discounted food and drink vouchers for international visitors ("foreign" money coming in to the local racing economy is better than recycling what's already there). After all, a few $20 losing quinellas and the whole industry will be on a better financial footing (perhaps).

Without wishing to make an overtly racist point, the Chinese gamble like heroes - get a coachload of Chinese tourists to fetch up to Taupo, Riccarton or Avondale, get them some cheap food and all the gambling opportunities going and it's all good money for the Club and for the industry.

@MichaJ

Heritage plays a huge part in tourism.

New Zealand needs to up there game & retain what we have and that includes Tote buildings which are a nod to the Racing greats & good craftsmanship of olden days.

It's a disgrace we have lost so much of it and what we have left it's left to ruin.

One only needs to see the sad state the Entry Tote Buildings are at Alexandra Park in Auckland.

A good clean & lick of paint together with Memorial Plaques are a must as well as inclusion in Heritage & Tourist walks....

It was a sad day when various clubs, including Sports clubs lost there small stands as they give a real feel of community spirit & unity 

well said @Berri

Don't think those two who you have asked questions of give a stuff about Racing.

They seem to pop up when there's positive ideas been shared in here...see their other earlier swipes...

Oh & welcome to the club Berri of their attacks. Been a recipient of them to.

8 hours ago, meomy said:

@MichaJ

Heritage plays a huge part in tourism.

New Zealand needs to up there game & retain what we have and that includes Tote buildings which are a nod to the Racing greats & good craftsmanship of olden days.

It's a disgrace we have lost so much of it and what we have left it's left to ruin.

One only needs to see the sad state the Entry Tote Buildings are at Alexandra Park in Auckland.

A good clean & lick of paint together with Memorial Plaques are a must as well as inclusion in Heritage & Tourist walks....

It was a sad day when various clubs, including Sports clubs lost there small stands as they give a real feel of community spirit & unity 

Fair point. I also had the idea of turning an old tote building into a club museum/gallery/club merchandise shop (caps, t.shirts kind of thing). And/or one with a small selection of new and second hand tack.

Perhaps a few working bees need to be held, to do some upgrades.

11 hours ago, stodge said:

Tourists will return one day - of that I'm certain. Your country (and mine) relies too heavily on international travel for it to be otherwise.

To be honest, the UK doesn't do any better - if you walk into any London Hotel you won't find any information about horse race meetings but if you want to visit all the tourist attractions you'll have all the information you need.

At the top hotels (Savoy, Ritz, Corinthia etc) the Concierge would sort all that including transport to and from the course if need be and that's fine if you are a wealthy owner but the average visiting punter has much less chance.

A number of courses in and around London are near railway stations (Sandown, Kempton, Plumpton, Lingfield, Ascot to name but five) and there used to be a combined rail/racing ticket where if you went to the track by train and produced your ticket at the gate, you got discounted admission.

That doesn't really apply at a lot of NZ meetings where there's no admission so the inducement has to be for those getting punters to and from the races (bus companies, taxi firms). The Club could hire a coach to pick up from nearby towns - get some more punters in, eating, drinking and wagering and the thing pays for itself.

Every regional tourist centre should be pushing the idea of a day at the races and, as I said, offer some discounted food and drink vouchers for international visitors ("foreign" money coming in to the local racing economy is better than recycling what's already there). After all, a few $20 losing quinellas and the whole industry will be on a better financial footing (perhaps).

Without wishing to make an overtly racist point, the Chinese gamble like heroes - get a coachload of Chinese tourists to fetch up to Taupo, Riccarton or Avondale, get them some cheap food and all the gambling opportunities going and it's all good money for the Club and for the industry.

Not so sure about your Chinese theory. Ellerslie tried that. Crowd was so large it blocked the freeway from the city to Ellerslie track! It took 2 hours! Had Dragon train on course, free betting voucher for everyone, Prime Minister came along etc. only one problem - the tote barely moved! They spent their free bet voucher, ate the free dim sums, watched the dragon parade then went home. Things were as dim as they sim after that! 

16 hours ago, drewandjo said:

bullshit Berri.....the only issue the Green party has with horse racing is around the harm gambling causes

Simply not true , google it . Anyway how is this going to work,  National is promising to repeal the Resource Management Act and replace it with legislation that enables better utilisation of existing racing assets and to support the industry to upgrade the country's racing infrastructure , comrade cindy has after all these years  also promised to look at the resource management act BUT how will that be possible when they are in coalition with the greens who won't budge on this issue , it seems to me instead of winston controlling cindy it will be the greens . 

National is also promising to conduct a review of the tax treatment and depreciation rules around bloodstock and the racing sector to ensure they are fit for purpose.

Shaw says the Greens aren't making the tax a bottom line because "when we get into negotiations we have got to see what the result of the election is. And it's as simple as that". Whether or not it becomes a bottom line depends on how many people vote for the Greens, Shaw says.

So tax WILL  become a bottom line if the greens get enough support , imagine paying a capitol gains tax on the yearling a hobby owner bought , proved it , sold it and then had to pay a capitol gains tax , that will happen if the greens get half a chance ..

40 minutes ago, drewandjo said:

yes

So I'll take it that the yes was to being a member of the Greens because the transcripts are daming. When you have a group of people having a discussion about the merits of racing, and the green members are earnestly discussing whether or not children should be exposed to horse racing because it's cruel to animals, then I'd say we who do like racing have an issue. When those same members, whilst derogatorily discussing the  merits of gambling on horses, support the notion that the handbrake be put on racing so that at least it can't expand during those members' watch, then I'd say we have a problem. 

The first Bill put forward was the result of Labours and the Greens attitude to racing. Dean did the stupid thing of trying to sell it because it was trash. National and NZ First select committee members then pulled it back to the current middle ground. NZ First had to do it because it was Winnie's watch brief and had he not, he would have gone down in the annuls of being the biggest bullshitter on the planet. But it was Labour and Greens Bill first.

So despite having a declared conflict of interest, and despite calling me a bullshitter, (which I am not), you're talking crap.  

IF you really care about racing and don't give a toss about anything else, then you would vote either National or Act. National's racing policy isn't so bad. It's a commercial approach which is not what has been demonstrated by either Labour or the Greens.

7 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

yeah.....sorry......Logie

Aside from getting the name wrong, McKelvie wasn't on the select committee was he? So how would he know? Hearsay? And what exactly does he think the committee did to the bill that will result in anything positive for racing?

3 hours ago, Leggy said:

Aside from getting the name wrong, McKelvie wasn't on the select committee was he? So how would he know? Hearsay? And what exactly does he think the committee did to the bill that will result in anything positive for racing?

3 hours ago, Leggy said:

Positive he was on it at some stage remember him asking the country clubs if they would just have a Raceday without any TAB.  

Leggy,, I am not a researcher and I'm not into politics......my recollection was from the Post I think that you put up of the impressive gentleman from Foxton, Mr Alexander ( hope I.ve got the name correct LOL )

In the background I noticed Mr McKelvie so assumed he was on the Select Committee

As for your last quesrion......he was very positive for the future of Racing ( which did surprise me)....but I had already had 10 minutes............I had a walk to do....he had pamphlets to deliver....busy busy people 😀

7 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

Better than that even Leggy. give Ian a ring and make an appointment to see him........he's 10 minutes down the road from you....and he's a hell of a nice chap

Roger that! Noted. Not in my electorate but just up the road as you say.

On 10/4/2020 at 5:24 PM, drewandjo said:

bullshit Berri.....the only issue the Green party has with horse racing is around the harm gambling causes

so the Greens will say goodbye to Lotto? Is that policy in the Green Manifesto? Greens = woke idealist hypocrites (usually)

On 10/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, Berri said:

So I'll take it that the yes was to being a member of the Greens because the transcripts are daming. When you have a group of people having a discussion about the merits of racing, and the green members are earnestly discussing whether or not children should be exposed to horse racing because it's cruel to animals, then I'd say we who do like racing have an issue. When those same members, whilst derogatorily discussing the  merits of gambling on horses, support the notion that the handbrake be put on racing so that at least it can't expand during those members' watch, then I'd say we have a problem. 

The first Bill put forward was the result of Labours and the Greens attitude to racing. Dean did the stupid thing of trying to sell it because it was trash. National and NZ First select committee members then pulled it back to the current middle ground. NZ First had to do it because it was Winnie's watch brief and had he not, he would have gone down in the annuls of being the biggest bullshitter on the planet. But it was Labour and Greens Bill first.

So despite having a declared conflict of interest, and despite calling me a bullshitter, (which I am not), you're talking crap.  

IF you really care about racing and don't give a toss about anything else, then you would vote either National or Act. National's racing policy isn't so bad. It's a commercial approach which is not what has been demonstrated by either Labour or the Greens.

Berri, while you might find the rantings of those who frequent discussion boards, such as this one, worth following I prefer to take note of official party policy. This from their Animal Welfare Policy.. 

F. Animals in Entertainment

Animals must not suffer to provide entertainment for people. The Green Party will:

1.26 Support a ban on the use of animals in rodeo events as these events rely on inflicting pain and distress to animals to get them to perform.

1.27 Require all racing codes that use animals to make publicly available the numbers of animals bred, raced, injured, euthanised and re-homed or retired from racing through birth to death reporting.

nothing too major there and I think we all would agree that official reporting of figures around rehoming, etc is preferable to those wildly inflated figures we see from some of the so-called animal welfare groups. And its an official policy, not one made up on the hustings as we are seeing from one particular party leader who you seem to think would be best person to assist racing.

and lets not let the truth hit you in the face - the original bill was the result of Winston letting loose his officials in the DIA. It was in fact the National & Green members of the select committee who pulled it into shape after the reading and hearing the submissions. The NZ First member, who lead the committee, was as useful as tits on a bull.