THEME UPGRADE IN PROGRESS PLEASE BE PATIENT...THANKS EVERYONE
MrBigStuff

National makes promises for $1.6b racing industry, including tax review

Recommended Posts

The National Party is promising a raft of proposals to support the racing industry if elected, including a review of how parts of the industry are taxed.

Leader Judith Collins made the announcement while visiting the Hawke's Bay Racing Centre in Hastings.

Collins said the racing industry employs more than 15,000 people directly and supports close to 60,000 indirect jobs.

 

"Racing contributes in excess of $1.6 billion a year to our economy and will be an important part of rebuilding our economy," she said.

National is promising to repeal the Resource Management Act and replace it with legislation that enables better utilisation of existing racing assets and to support the industry to upgrade the country's racing infrastructure.

It also wants racing events to be able to feature as part of its planned New Zealand Tourism Festival, which was announced yesterday.

The party has already proposed a primary sector visa, but it also wants to include the racing industry to enable access to international jockeys, stallion managers, stud staff and other industry personnel.

It is also promising to conduct a review of the tax treatment and depreciation rules around bloodstock and the racing sector to ensure they are fit for purpose.

This review will specifically consider:

 

Making the first three years of a new stallions servicing fees tax-exempt, to encourage investment in new, high-quality stallions.

Options around the carry-over of expenses of fillies as they enter the breeding industry.

Consistent treatment of proportionate shareholdings so owners can claim the individual share of GST and depreciation expenses.

The policy also states the party would partner with the TAB, NZ On Air and the racing sector to explore options to promote New Zealand racing and breeding and recommence Trackside Radio.

National's racing spokesperson Ian McKelvie said there is no reason why New Zealand's racing industry cannot compete internationally and be recognised as world-class.

"We have the best breeders, the best trainers, the best strappers, the best jockeys and the best supporters in the world.

 

"We want to ensure they're operating in an industry that can set them up for success on the world stage," he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a novice/new entrant to the racing industry, with next to zero knowledge, it sounds good. Of course National have to get in, and then they actually have to walk the talk. Obviously a vote buy, but that happens every 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

National is promising to repeal the Resource Management Act and replace it with legislation that enables better utilisation of existing racing assets and to support the industry to upgrade the country's racing infrastructure. VERY IMPORTANT .

It also wants racing events to be able to feature as part of its planned New Zealand Tourism Festival, which was announced yesterday. GREAT WHEN THINGS GET BACK TO NORMAL the Chinese's tourists will be directed to a days racing and punting .

The party has already proposed a primary sector visa, but it also wants to include the racing industry to enable access to international jockeys, stallion managers, stud staff and other industry personnel. THAT'S A WINNER , track riders are like hens teeth , get them in .

Once again National policy that's real and workable , perhaps racing has turned a corner and with extra support it might go well ,  the fields have certainly  held up well  , don't know about the profitability , time will tell .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local and international Tourism & Races go hand in hand as we have mentioned here before.

What better way to get our industry back on it's pedestal it belongs on.

Alas rural racecourse meetings are vital as that's where grass roots interest starts with horses, pasture management, animal welfare care which without those communities racing would be more stuffed.

We all need to be mindful of that & should reflect on Ken & Anne Brown, Snow Lupton & others in country areas where horses work  in the hills and  on farm land.

We also much need journalism back in our universities as the current "Communication skills" courses are of little value in the wider world of many industries.

Perhaps some of the old school journalists should put forth suggestions and course modules aimed specifically at Racing & Sports to be taught in Schools and University as society has lost that v in recent years with the internet & social media Wild West.

 

Do remember our international tourism has been screwed over bc of those who instigated a Petition to get our borders closed withOUT taking into account Pre existing Legislation...they include a "Dr" of Ultrasound, Kelvin Ward... Who has much to answer for the demise of the unity of Society & our economies.

Ditto others who have no clues about how Civil Emergency laws are written to specifically address individual situations, the blanket approach that's been taken has fudged up Racing  which should never ever have been stopped.

Good on the National Party for having a policy, has Cindy? Chloe? And others?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

The National Party is promising a raft of proposals to support the racing industry if elected, including a review of how parts of the industry are taxed.

Leader Judith Collins made the announcement while visiting the Hawke's Bay Racing Centre in Hastings.

Collins said the racing industry employs more than 15,000 people directly and supports close to 60,000 indirect jobs.

 

"Racing contributes in excess of $1.6 billion a year to our economy and will be an important part of rebuilding our economy," she said.

National is promising to repeal the Resource Management Act and replace it with legislation that enables better utilisation of existing racing assets and to support the industry to upgrade the country's racing infrastructure.

It also wants racing events to be able to feature as part of its planned New Zealand Tourism Festival, which was announced yesterday.

The party has already proposed a primary sector visa, but it also wants to include the racing industry to enable access to international jockeys, stallion managers, stud staff and other industry personnel.

It is also promising to conduct a review of the tax treatment and depreciation rules around bloodstock and the racing sector to ensure they are fit for purpose.

This review will specifically consider:

 

Making the first three years of a new stallions servicing fees tax-exempt, to encourage investment in new, high-quality stallions.

Options around the carry-over of expenses of fillies as they enter the breeding industry.

Consistent treatment of proportionate shareholdings so owners can claim the individual share of GST and depreciation expenses.

The policy also states the party would partner with the TAB, NZ On Air and the racing sector to explore options to promote New Zealand racing and breeding and recommence Trackside Radio.

National's racing spokesperson Ian McKelvie said there is no reason why New Zealand's racing industry cannot compete internationally and be recognised as world-class.

"We have the best breeders, the best trainers, the best strappers, the best jockeys and the best supporters in the world.

 

"We want to ensure they're operating in an industry that can set them up for success on the world stage," he said.

Hope she put some over the tote, while there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think the fix has to come at prize money level. The rest will follow.  Increase prize money significantly and the below happens:

less horses sold overseas

bigger fields better quality 

Trainers can charge more and earn more winners percentage 

jockeys can earn more and don’t have to go to oz

more owners bred

More owners get involved 

more owners buy

the quality of product improves and attracts more punters dollars

It goes on and on, but prize money is the most important thing  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't take this National offer lightly. I met with Ian some months ago to discuss racing policy. It was a very enlightening session and I fully believe that they're going to get behind racing. They realise they dropped the ball with that absolute moron in Nathan Guy and realise that this industry needs a shot in the arm shoulder and leg. Judith is after all from Walton and has been seeing racing type people for most of her life. I like Ian and I think we have a chance.

If Winnie is gone, let me tell you we are up the creek without a paddle IF Labour/ Greens get in. We all fought like cats and dogs over the Racing Bill. I did my bit and that is why I met with Ian and what's his name Bayley. I can categorically tell you that the real issue we had over the Bill was with Labour and the Greens' representatives. They were blocking and diluting everything. The Greens want to close racing down!!! they think it's cruel to horses. Labour doesn't want to promote gambling because they think it's bad for society.

Everyone has to get off their chuffs IF you want to help racing. Seymour is sympathetic but doesn't know enough, although I've given him some thoughts on the matter as well. So IF you don't give a toss about anything else but racing, vote ACT and/ or National. Otherwise you will see a further demise of your sport. This is very very obvious if you were part of and saw the Bill evolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

National's racing spokesperson Ian McKelvie

Very knowledgeable man,well  in his own mind anyways. Good idea by the Nats as it once again undermines Winnies base

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Berri said:

Don't take this National offer lightly. I met with Ian some months ago to discuss racing policy. It was a very enlightening session and I fully believe that they're going to get behind racing. They realise they dropped the ball with that absolute moron in Nathan Guy and realise that this industry needs a shot in the arm shoulder and leg. Judith is after all from Walton and has been seeing racing type people for most of her life. I like Ian and I think we have a chance.

If Winnie is gone, let me tell you we are up the creek without a paddle IF Labour/ Greens get in. We all fought like cats and dogs over the Racing Bill. I did my bit and that is why I met with Ian and what's his name Bayley. I can categorically tell you that the real issue we had over the Bill was with Labour and the Greens' representatives. They were blocking and diluting everything. The Greens want to close racing down!!! they think it's cruel to horses. Labour doesn't want to promote gambling because they think it's bad for society.

Everyone has to get off their chuffs IF you want to help racing. Seymour is sympathetic but doesn't know enough, although I've given him some thoughts on the matter as well. So IF you don't give a toss about anything else but racing, vote ACT and/ or National. Otherwise you will see a further demise of your sport. This is very very obvious if you were part of and saw the Bill evolve.

Excellent point Berri , (If Winnie is gone, let me tell you we are up the creek without a paddle IF Labour/ Greens get in.) Winne will be gone his last hope is Northland and even there he is polling very badly so what then for racing under a labour/green government  . Latest polls suggest labour will need the greens to govern , can any of you seriously believe the greens will do anything to help racing . 

McKelvie has racing in his blood .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not for me to say who your Government should be - I have no skin in the game (to use the Americanism).

As a prospective visitor who loves his horse racing, might I offer a couple of thoughts?

It would be good to reach an area and see, at whatever hotel or motel I check in to, information on the local racecourse and its next meeting and how to get to that venue.

That shouldn't be too difficult for courses near main towns but for more remote venues linking courses to local taxi services providing a "call and collect" service whereby a visitor can be collected at their lodgings, taken to the racecourse, collected after the meeting and a bonus given to the taxi company by the course as a way of thanking them for bringing in some customers.

Racecourses themselves need to be an integral part of the tourist sector - Hastings has a lovely track and meetings such as Windsor Park Plate day should be dragging in visitors by the car load - perhaps food and drink vouchers for international visitors so we can enjoy a cheap bacon and egg pie or mushrooms on toast or a Speights as well as a day at the races.

Let's be honest - NZ needs tourists and the tourist dollar so racing needs to join the fight for the dollar, yen, pound or euro. Be positive - you have a lot to offer. I've always enjoyed my NZ racing days even when I've lost money. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, stodge said:

It's not for me to say who your Government should be - I have no skin in the game (to use the Americanism).

As a prospective visitor who loves his horse racing, might I offer a couple of thoughts?

It would be good to reach an area and see, at whatever hotel or motel I check in to, information on the local racecourse and its next meeting and how to get to that venue.

That shouldn't be too difficult for courses near main towns but for more remote venues linking courses to local taxi services providing a "call and collect" service whereby a visitor can be collected at their lodgings, taken to the racecourse, collected after the meeting and a bonus given to the taxi company by the course as a way of thanking them for bringing in some customers.

Racecourses themselves need to be an integral part of the tourist sector - Hastings has a lovely track and meetings such as Windsor Park Plate day should be dragging in visitors by the car load - perhaps food and drink vouchers for international visitors so we can enjoy a cheap bacon and egg pie or mushrooms on toast or a Speights as well as a day at the races.

Let's be honest - NZ needs tourists and the tourist dollar so racing needs to join the fight for the dollar, yen, pound or euro. Be positive - you have a lot to offer. I've always enjoyed my NZ racing days even when I've lost money. 

 

Good stuff Stodge....it relies on local Racing Clubs actually getting off their arses and promoting their own meetings.....how hard is it to put together a calendar of dates with the major races outlined...?? Wouldn’t be an expensive exercise to provide these flyers to Hotels/Motels in the area.

As for Tourists......until Her Majesty decides when the borders can re open, and that might not be this year, we are reliant on locals only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berri said:

Don't take this National offer lightly. I met with Ian some months ago to discuss racing policy. It was a very enlightening session and I fully believe that they're going to get behind racing. They realise they dropped the ball with that absolute moron in Nathan Guy and realise that this industry needs a shot in the arm shoulder and leg. Judith is after all from Walton and has been seeing racing type people for most of her life. I like Ian and I think we have a chance.

If Winnie is gone, let me tell you we are up the creek without a paddle IF Labour/ Greens get in. We all fought like cats and dogs over the Racing Bill. I did my bit and that is why I met with Ian and what's his name Bayley. I can categorically tell you that the real issue we had over the Bill was with Labour and the Greens' representatives. They were blocking and diluting everything. The Greens want to close racing down!!! they think it's cruel to horses. Labour doesn't want to promote gambling because they think it's bad for society.

Everyone has to get off their chuffs IF you want to help racing. Seymour is sympathetic but doesn't know enough, although I've given him some thoughts on the matter as well. So IF you don't give a toss about anything else but racing, vote ACT and/ or National. Otherwise you will see a further demise of your sport. This is very very obvious if you were part of and saw the Bill evolve.

Great points. I actually put my hand up to help out with Manawatu harness, and then proceeded to fire off 3 pages of ideas that I had from the very basic (ask the trainers what would encourage them to bring their horses, flyers of meetings up in info centres, libraries etc, text reminder system to remind patrons the day before a race meeting) to the extreme (turning old tote buildings into accommodation for trainers etc - tho most old tote buildings probably need to be torn down, to be honest). 

I think I initially scared them off, but I will meet with the club president for a chat in the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I actually think the fix has to come at prize money level. The rest will follow.  Increase prize money significantly and the below happens:

less horses sold overseas

bigger fields better quality 

Trainers can charge more and earn more winners percentage 

jockeys can earn more and don’t have to go to oz

more owners bred

More owners get involved 

more owners buy

the quality of product improves and attracts more punters dollars

It goes on and on, but prize money is the most important thing  

 

 

Yes,true but lately there have been large fields for poor stakes.

One question how do you raise stakes,the money comes from somewhere but where,haven't they got rid of tote tax,if so what else can one do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

Excellent point Berri , (If Winnie is gone, let me tell you we are up the creek without a paddle IF Labour/ Greens get in.) Winne will be gone his last hope is Northland and even there he is polling very badly so what then for racing under a labour/green government  . Latest polls suggest labour will need the greens to govern , can any of you seriously believe the greens will do anything to help racing . 

McKelvie has racing in his blood .

Racing is not the only thing that will be no better off,and I say no better off rather than worse,some of the ideas this lot in govt at present are dreaming up in regards to farming are utter shit,on another note that Guy fella was a joke in regards to racing,personally despite the polls suggesting labour will romp in,I'm not so sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stodge said:

It's not for me to say who your Government should be - I have no skin in the game (to use the Americanism).

As a prospective visitor who loves his horse racing, might I offer a couple of thoughts?

It would be good to reach an area and see, at whatever hotel or motel I check in to, information on the local racecourse and its next meeting and how to get to that venue.

That shouldn't be too difficult for courses near main towns but for more remote venues linking courses to local taxi services providing a "call and collect" service whereby a visitor can be collected at their lodgings, taken to the racecourse, collected after the meeting and a bonus given to the taxi company by the course as a way of thanking them for bringing in some customers.

Racecourses themselves need to be an integral part of the tourist sector - Hastings has a lovely track and meetings such as Windsor Park Plate day should be dragging in visitors by the car load - perhaps food and drink vouchers for international visitors so we can enjoy a cheap bacon and egg pie or mushrooms on toast or a Speights as well as a day at the races.

Let's be honest - NZ needs tourists and the tourist dollar so racing needs to join the fight for the dollar, yen, pound or euro. Be positive - you have a lot to offer. I've always enjoyed my NZ racing days even when I've lost money. 

 

Google maps has one touch directories for airports public transport restaurants bars attractions etc etc but not tab's or racetracks.Perhaps there is something that can be done nationally through google maps AND highlighting local racedays through peoples devices, good for locals and visitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaJ said:

Great points. I actually put my hand up to help out with Manawatu harness, and then proceeded to fire off 3 pages of ideas that I had from the very basic (ask the trainers what would encourage them to bring their horses, flyers of meetings up in info centres, libraries etc, text reminder system to remind patrons the day before a race meeting) to the extreme (turning old tote buildings into accommodation for trainers etc - tho most old tote buildings probably need to be torn down, to be honest). 

I think I initially scared them off, but I will meet with the club president for a chat in the near future. 

Good luck with that mate. I’ve found the old brigade are somewhat reluctant to change and embrace new technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Racing is not the only thing that will be no better off,and I say no better off rather than worse,some of the ideas this lot in govt at present are dreaming up in regards to farming are utter shit,on another note that Guy fella was a joke in regards to racing,personally despite the polls suggesting labour will romp in,I'm not so sure.

ACT will need to get into double figures to give Nats any hope....not impossible if the NZF vote collapses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I actually think the fix has to come at prize money level. The rest will follow.  Increase prize money significantly and the below happens:

less horses sold overseas

bigger fields better quality 

Trainers can charge more and earn more winners percentage 

jockeys can earn more and don’t have to go to oz

more owners bred

More owners get involved 

more owners buy

the quality of product improves and attracts more punters dollars

It goes on and on, but prize money is the most important thing  

 

 

And where do you think Prizemoney/stakes come from? BETTING!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of weekends ago while on my daily walk I came across Ian McKelvie  delivering pamphlets into letterboxes and I complemented both he and the Select Committee on completely turning around the original Racing Bill........he commented that on the Select Committee they were very lucky to have the Greens member Ms Dowie who was probably the driving force on the Select Committee.......thought that was interesting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Good luck with that mate. I’ve found the old brigade are somewhat reluctant to change and embrace new technology.

Ahh well, I'm no spring chicken, and they'll either explore new avenues (bearing in mind I don't even know if any of my suggestions have been tried previously, or currently used) or fade into oblivion, like so many sporting clubs throughout NZ.  

 

My key thought is to get punters. No punters = no sponsors & no prize money, no prize money = no trainers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.