RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

The Box Seat

I watched it online....55 mins......mainly to see what it was that people seemed to miss.

I had never watched a full 'show' before ,sometimes just watching a few minutes of something of interest.The presenters are good harness guys ,but there was a lot of waffle about the NZ Cup /Dominion group 1's coming up in 7 weeks time.

Personally it didn't interest me a lot.....talking about the odds for the NZ cup , the possible field , the starting abilities of the main contenders is same ole ,same ole IMO.....boring.

Had brief interviews with a couple of big players.....MPurdon , RGreen , BOrange.

Boring would be the one word to describe the whole show.

If you watch the efforts of  Nigel , Andrew ,Jo etc with their live streaming on racedays plus the picking sessions and sheets ...far more interesting....plus stables like the Allstars have their own up to date websites and HRNZ's also has  current 'stories' of interest.

IMO Interesting ,  events like the Junior Drivers series organised by the young drivers themselves deserved more than 20 seconds mention.

Understandably the presenters will not say anything controversial so its very sanitised ,chat from two studios.

Maverick views/guests unlikely to see the light of day.

Even allowing for it being the first show back and the current uncertainty over Covid I don't see it as a 'must watch' !

I'd mark it 2 out of 10 !

12 hours ago, mikenz said:

They never mentioned why no harness racing in Eastern Southland,be good to see the decision makers and the reasoning for such a situation.

Simple, the Gore Racing Club dont obviously want Harness from Wyndham or Gore there.

Further , the 2 clubs have thus far not convinced HRNZ of the need to revisit  dates and venues although i did hear  plans are underway. In the interim, MLT the codes regular sponsors will not be handing out funds for the clubs to race  outside their zone. Not a good look and shows the stupidity of the Winton selection and the political nature of it . I mean arguing for Winton  as its a long track shows the political nature of the beast .

Greg

I do know a bit about the goings on,it just dont seem to make news when in reality it is big news harness racing wise,what I dont understand is why the gallop club dont want the trots,it earns them money,there simply has to be people issues or something,the Gore racecourse going 12 or 13 days to just 4 seems odd.

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Simple, the Gore Racing Club dont obviously want Harness from Wyndham or Gore there.

Further , the 2 clubs have thus far not convinced HRNZ of the need to revisit  dates and venues although i did hear  plans are underway. In the interim, MLT the codes regular sponsors will not be handing out funds for the clubs to race  outside their zone. Not a good look and shows the stupidity of the Winton selection and the political nature of it . I mean arguing for Winton  as its a long track shows the political nature of the beast .

Greg

Let's just say how would Canterbury react if Methven and Motukarara were told to shift to Rangiora,how would that go down?

It's kind of irrelevant in the North now,only down to 2 tracks,the strange thing is with the South they see the need for a Larger track yet in the north 1000metre tracks are all they have,Manawatu is even smaller.

The Box Seat was always low on substance and that's unlikely to change. In the past it was predominantly a PR/butt-kissing vehicle for the industry hierarchy and to get support from HRNZ this time around they'd have to continue down that road.

I have no doubt Guerin and O'Connor are on a very short leash once again, so we'd be fools to expect them to address any real issues or ask any hard questions, especially of their masters.

If you want any "cutting edge" news you're better off tuning in to the likes of Garrick Knight, Frank Marion, or Barry Lichter. At least they are somewhat free to speak.

So I spose that as Forbury race next week there wont be any extensive story about the future for this club(if there is one)or anything interesting, issues that get to issues that make good watching.Just focusing  on a few select stables or a few select races seems a bit tame.

25 minutes ago, Flawed Genius said:

The Box Seat was always low on substance and that's unlikely to change. In the past it was predominantly a PR/butt-kissing vehicle for the industry hierarchy and to get support from HRNZ this time around they'd have to continue down that road.

I have no doubt Guerin and O'Connor are on a very short leash once again, so we'd be fools to expect them to address any real issues or ask any hard questions, especially of their masters.

If you want any "cutting edge" news you're better off tuning in to the likes of Garrick Knight, Frank Marion, or Barry Lichter. At least they are somewhat free to speak.

Low on substance a bit like our Prime Ministers economic speeches.

From the above comments there is obviously no change or improvement.      A lot of career moves for Greg but when the water settles could be all in vain.        And watch out Greg there is a big Orca in that water            🐳

I'm presuming O,Conner Enterprises is behind the whole thing. 

He found the sponsors who are presumably paying his  and MG,s fees

TAB NZ merely provides a platform, Trackside, to televise the show.

I found the first episode rather boring and hope it improves

Greg