RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eastern whipbird

jockeys/riders safety

There may have been something wrong with the track at Hastings which saw a number of serious falls in the first 2 races. That however is not my principle reason for posting this topic. My concern is for the safety of riders. Too many of the injuries relate to the head and I wonder why it is not compulsory for riders to use mouthguards. If the rugby authorities require them from little nippers up, why are they not a mandated rule in racing. Their use could prevent damage to the mouth and to avoid concussion from a blow to the chin.

3 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

There may have been something wrong with the track at Hastings which saw a number of serious falls in the first 2 races. That however is not my principle reason for posting this topic. My concern is for the safety of riders. Too many of the injuries relate to the head and I wonder why it is not compulsory for riders to use mouthguards. If the rugby authorities require them from little nippers up, why are they not a mandated rule in racing. Their use could prevent damage to the mouth and to avoid concussion from a blow to the chin.

Definitely plenty of head injuries /concussions with riding. Only 1 fall I know of where a mouthguard may have helped: a friend who came off a jumper that tripped on landing and landed chin first, then continued to slide forward-she lost a couple of front teeth but the entire chin detached from her jaw which was also broken. Broken scapula and ribs too. The missing teeth were the least of her worries; she needed plastic surgery to re-attach and fix her chin up. Pretty uncommon way to land from my experience(normally hit top or side of helmet covered part of head) but thats not to say it doesn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

A Google search of AP McCoy injury list is quite sobering , all of his teeth replaced , every rib broken , that's just the start of the list it goes on and on . Hard hard people the jumps jocks , Jamie Osborne has outlasted them all.

Yes, they certainly are! They risk getting those injuries so regularly, I have so much respect for their work! 

10 minutes ago, Dissident said:

Yes, they certainly are! They risk getting those injuries so regularly, I have so much respect for their work! 

I've not had too many falls but maybe punches to the head and brain fading ,  I meant Richard Johnson outlasted them all , not the very able Jamie Osborne,  he retired a while ago but was pretty handy jump jock .

14 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I've not had too many falls but maybe punches to the head and brain fading ,  I meant Richard Johnson outlasted them all , not the very able Jamie Osborne,  he retired a while ago but was pretty handy jump jock .

Jamie Osborne - Worked for him on my OE 15 0dd years ago - Great memories of Lambourne and a few lifelong friends made.

11 hours ago, Ace1 said:

There was a jockey wearing one past year or so? I recall watching him come back to scale and they made mention of it on tv

I do actually recall seeing this too but can't remember who it was-there is mention online of Craig Williams wearing one after having  dental work done? (May 2018)

On 9/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, Leggy said:

Really? Mouthguards can do that?

I seem to recall yeeeaaarrrs ago (like in the 50s) a lot of jockeys had false teeth which they took out before they raced. Maybe that was a safety thing back then though they only had skull caps, not helmets, and no body armour.

35 minutes ago, Blue said:

I seem to recall yeeeaaarrrs ago (like in the 50s) a lot of jockeys had false teeth which they took out before they raced. Maybe that was a safety thing back then though they only had skull caps, not helmets, and no body armour.

Haha....1950's , they  often rode track work with no helmet/skull caps !

A lot of the population had false teeth ! 

Camera on finish line was very new.....etc