RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Baz (NZ)

Racing industry backs Winston Peters

51 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

The main grass meetings will be on the grass track at Riccarton. They are not planning to hold all the $10,000 races at Riccarton and send the $30,000 meetings to Timaru.

I wouldn't get too worried about things,few tracks will probably close in reality,I'm sure Timaru,and Oamaru will be there,not everyone's gunna want to race on AWT nor a boggy Riccarton,there was a reason why Ashburton and Timaru got so many noms,funny thing is regarding Gore,last year a meeting scheduled for Ascot Park was shifted to Gore because,it was too wet,will they close it down,probably not,people are just speculating,be best go just wait and see.I see an article in ODT today about southern racing,comment about the possibility of AWT inside course at Wingatui for Forbury,so many things on the agenda.

But southerners need to pro active moving forward,that's why they need the Sounth Canterbury North Otago providing the winter racing,like it or not Riccarton still wont probably hold up every weekend on the grass anyway,if it pisses down it will still turn to shit.

20 hours ago, mikenz said:

Did he mention what party he would go with,he didn't last time,he wont get the choice again,goneburger.

theres a simple answer to that question!!!

whichever Party gives NZfirst and Winston the best deal!!

that is the short of it!!

5 hours ago, 6xes said:

theres a simple answer to that question!!!

whichever Party gives NZfirst and Winston the best deal!!

that is the short of it!!

It's kind of funny,now its election time hes even slagging off his main coalition  partner,Peter's wont have any more choices,its game set and match.

Racing will probably survive,it has before,in what state no one knows.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, mikenz said:

Did he mention what party he would go with,he didn't last time,he wont get the choice again,goneburger.

Silly question really. Winston would go with the Devil if it meant retaining the baubles of Office.

Winston bailed out Racing, RITA and the TAB in the last few months.Have you all forgotten that???? Do you really think any other political party in NZ would have done that??? And also lets not forget, Labour allowed it to happen with Kieran McAnulty Labour Wairarapa of course being an ex TAB bookie. Worryingly ACT want the money paid back, and National have never seemed to care hence appointing the likes of John Carter and Nathan Guy as Racing Ministers over Ian McKelvie who is now their spokesman by way of their last man standing policy.

19 minutes ago, fermoy said:

Winston bailed out Racing, RITA and the TAB in the last few months.Have you all forgotten that???? Do you really think any other political party in NZ would have done that??? And also lets not forget, Labour allowed it to happen with Kieran McAnulty Labour Wairarapa of course being an ex TAB bookie. Worryingly ACT want the money paid back, and National have never seemed to care hence appointing the likes of John Carter and Nathan Guy as Racing Ministers over Ian McKelvie who is now their spokesman by way of their last man standing policy.

you are rightno other political party would have done that 100%

I had a laugh reading the news with Judith Collins saying Acts job at the election is to get rid of the N Z First vote and poor old Winnie saying he will definitely  not be going with the Nats,strange irony is he won't be going with anyone.

Add to that he says he will make a bid to go with Labour.be fair to say they would have to be desperate to side with him

On 9/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, fermoy said:

I think the least thing Winston deserves is abuse from the industry he helped.  Not sure others would have found the $72M. And make no mistake, I mean no mistake the TAB was bankrupt without bail out. 

Bankrupt.. maybe that was a good thing. You let it fall and start again with a model that works. I think you missed an opportunity to make change.

Stop hanging on to the past. Racing needs a smarter model to still be here in 10 years. Winston won’t be so forget about him.

2 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I think the least thing Winston deserves is abuse from the industry he helped.  Not sure others would have found the $72M. And make no mistake, I mean no mistake the TAB was bankrupt without bail out. 

You think that a bailout was helpful to the industry? I'm not sure most taxpayers would agree with that or the expenditure. It's not really a government or taxpayer problem is it?

1 hour ago, Phillipe said:

Bankrupt.. maybe that was a good thing. You let it fall and start again with a model that works. I think you missed an opportunity to make change.

Stop hanging on to the past. Racing needs a smarter model to still be here in 10 years. Winston won’t be so forget about him.

But what is a smarter model,what would you do?

19 minutes ago, Leggy said:

You think that a bailout was helpful to the industry? I'm not sure most taxpayers would agree with that or the expenditure. It's not really a government or taxpayer problem is it?

Yes and no,nearly every other organisation got some assistance,and the TAB needed it  (even though they did stuff up management wise)to keep going yet a lot of businesses got wage subsidies and then decided to layoff staff or close as well,so really is it such a big deal?

One of the few sectors that got through on its own were farmers,now this lot in Wellington want to shit on them,how pathetic.

Peters has made his contribution,but now it's time to move on,strange as it may be what can the govt do for racing,it's what racing can do for itself I guess,people are still interested but cost are rising above incomes,simple fact,it's not entirely racings fault,it's happening in lots of things.

Interesting too how much sporting organisations rely on grants from the TAB from betting to keep going so it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Yes and no,nearly every other organisation got some assistance,and the tab needed it  to keep going yet a lot of businesses got wage subsidies and then decided to layoff staff or close as well,so really is it such a big deal?

They got that the same as everyone else and have and are laying off staff.

Business Name Subsidy Number of
employees
paid
Total amount paid
RACING INDUSTRY TRANSITION AGENCY Wage Subsidy 595 $3,996,377.88

2 minutes ago, Leggy said:

employees
paid
Total amount paid

2 minutes ago, Leggy said:

employees
paid
Total amount paid

So in reality they are just doing the same as every other business but what would have happened if the govt had done nothing?

One thing some people don't understand with betting is that sports betting is becoming more popular and racing perhaps a little bit less popular but as long as its growing the business in revenue then everybody probably gains,some say run a smarter model as in what,maybe merge with another bookmaker to become a larger setup?

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

Australian Tabcorp - a Public Listed Company. NZ TAB? Nothing more needs to be said. It will “always” be an Albatross around the neck of racing until such time it becomes a competitive model. That means “sold”.

But do we maintain control of our destiny?

9 hours ago, Phillipe said:

Let it fall and begin again?? YEAAAAAAA RIGHT!!

So often in the past .....

ive seen the many cries echoed on this forum by the Anti-Winston brigade...

all bitching about the state of racing.. closure of race tracks.. and all the other issues

Had Winston not done anything... the Anti-Winston Brigade may well be justified in their bitching, but as it stands currently

Winston has assisted the Racing industry in more ways than one

but still the cry babies cry!!

I can understand why a baby cries..... but grown ups??? REALLY?? LOL

damn right ungrateful!!

On 9/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, shodsie said:

winston and only winston gave power to the greens i would rather vote for my toenails to be pulled out than vote for NZ first again...........

even if labour govern alone (hopefully the greens are floating down the waikato) the industry can survive without more government intervention......

the next 3 years regardless of labour or  national is going to be a hell of a grind for the country 

of course the most sensible thing is a Labour/National coalition or Government of the Overwhelming Majority. Bye bye Winnie the Poo and the Loonie Leftists

On 9/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, mike28 said:

you are rightno other political party would have done that 100%

nonsense. Covid forced the issue of insolvency and any Govt would have had to put i the cash cos the industry is too big to fail ie earns the govt too much money from tax $$ 

2 hours ago, 6xes said:

Let it fall and begin again?? YEAAAAAAA RIGHT!!

So often in the past .....

ive seen the many cries echoed on this forum by the Anti-Winston brigade...

all bitching about the state of racing.. closure of race tracks.. and all the other issues

Had Winston not done anything... the Anti-Winston Brigade may well be justified in their bitching, but as it stands currently

Winston has assisted the Racing industry in more ways than one

but still the cry babies cry!!

I can understand why a baby cries..... but grown ups??? REALLY?? LOL

damn right ungrateful!!

all Winston has done is help his rich breeder mates, the ones who had over donations and fly him around in helicopters. It has taken way too long to restructure Racing in NZ to a sustainable model and the people at the coalface still suffer while the rich get richer and the disgusting mismanagement continues.