RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

This is a must watch

If you have any queries what-so-ever about Covid, you should watch this. I'm basically a fact based person and I've had many a debate in respect of Cindy's approach to Covid, which will have a financial effect on all of us for many years to come. Much of the topic of debate centers around what the real impact of covid actually is. This link does the job for me...

You lost me when you chose to call our PM 'Cindy'. This article sums up how I feel nicely. For the record my view has nothing to do with any political leaning I may or may not have.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/122658284/shes-not-a-doll-so-dont-call-the-prime-minister-cindy

OPINION: No-one dared abbreviate Margaret Thatcher’s Christian name to her face.

Her staff called their formidable boss Mrs Thatcher, or sometimes Mrs T when she was not present.

True friends, or those pretending an intimacy, called her Margaret.

But it was Labour party rivals who demonised her as “Maggie Thatcher, Milk Snatcher”, when she ended the provision of free milk for school children in the 1970s.

READ MORE:
* Election 2020: Judith Collins says she can't control husband after series of anti-Jacinda Ardern Facebook posts
* Why are some politicians known by their first name, others by their surname?
* To sack, or not to sack: Three good reasons a minister should be out the door

The former Prime Minister hated the nickname “Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher”.
GETTY IMAGES
The former Prime Minister hated the nickname “Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher”.

The tabloid press adopted the condescending diminutive Maggie and it stuck until she died in 2013.

Baroness Thatcher hated it. She was a breakthrough female politician, but couldn’t escape from patronising, gender politics.

Like Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s critics have adopted an over-familiar cutesy name.

But, just like when a stranger uses the endearments love or darlin’, it’s not meant with affection.

Play Video
PARLIAMENT TV
Judith Collins and Jacinda Ardern's final showdown in Parliament of the term.

Last week “Cindy” was trending on Twitter, a backlash against confused Government messaging on Covid-19 testing. It crops up on comment boards and social media, even Judith Collins’ husband David Wong-Tung shared a Facebook meme that suggests we “Unite against CINDY-20”.

Its use is condescending and paternalistic. Ardern’s friends and family do not call her Cindy. In fact, she’d rather no-one did, telling the New York Times in 2018: “I just hate the nickname Cindy.”

I hate it too, because it is a putdown that is meant to belittle her.

Plenty of male politicians are known by their first name: Winston, Donald, Boris. There’s nothing sexist in calling a female politician by her first name: Jacinda is unique and memorable.

For Hillary, there was another Clinton who had served in high office and her Christian name avoided confusion.

Helen is all too common – she was known to the public as Clark. Or by her full name, sometimes Aunty Helen.

But changing (to the maddening Jacinta), or shortening someone’s name is not inconsequential. It sends a message of disrespect.

Sir John Key was never Johnnie. Sir Bill English was not called Billie. No Jimmy Bolger, Robbie Muldoon or Mikey Moore?

So why do Ardern’s critics use this infantilisation?

Because no matter what she achieves, handles, or leads, they want to sneer and remind her that she is still just a girl.

It could be worse: harassment, threats and violent rhetoric against women in leadership positions is all too common. (And she gets those too.)

But most women – and it happens most often to women by men – hate pet names from outside their friends or family.

The informality signals that a woman’s name, her title and therefore her credentials are not meaningful.

This shorthand appellation is an insidious way of diminishing Ardern’s power and agency.

But the misogynistic jab says more about the (mostly) men using it, than it does Ardern.

If sexist name-calling is all they’ve got, then she has already won the argument.

Criticism, voicing your opinion, even disliking a leader is all fine, and welcome, in a healthy political system.

But don’t scold and derogate the prime minister like she’s a little girl.

If you think she’s wrong, hold her failures to the same standards as men.

And her name isn’t difficult: try to get it right. You might find people take you more seriously.

Berri

Here is another , short but to the point factual article to look at. Reinforces the video you posted above. The data relates to the UK.

https://off-guardian.org/2020/09/09/flu-is-killing-more-people-than-covid19-and-has-been-for-months/

“Ah”, some of your may be saying, “this is just evidence that the lockdown, social distancing and masks have worked.”

But that is obviously not the case. Clearly, if these measures did anything to halt viral transmission, the flu deaths would have gone down as well. They have not. They are right in line with the five-year average.

Despite social distancing and wearing masks and hand sanitizer on every corner…the spread of the flu virus has not halted one bit in its usual annual progress through society."

Thanks @Berri , he's great isn't he?

There's a few good ones out there who appear to have a common sense approach to life & spend time outside enjoying life, fresh air, healthy living.

I see they have promoted the lead Swedish Epidemiologist in WHO.

He's got a classic European approach to diseases and worked on the ground with Ebola which as we intelligent ones know isn't in NZ & tuberculosis is pretty much under control.

When WHO was set up it was mainly sincere European people leading it & working there, sadly since Margaret Chan had a role & it became imbalanced on the Committee & seller of snake oil Gates expanded his empires it's veered off the track with hands on approach to primarily be Big Pharma.

It's criminal not one of those who triggered a World Wide Civil emergency looked at including the destruction of the wider needs of Society which are all cogs of Public Health.

It's interesting reading back through the earlier articles from January , who has been tied in with who, Ferguson influences including in China - one Virologist there quoted he was really scared abt loss of lives when he saw the figures,  the modelling & methodologies as they are way off the beaten track.

It's shameful of those Gvt Advisors misleading Politicians & throwing them under trains as those things have a snowball effect.

You may like to also look up Azra GHANI, born to Iranian parents & her close long term relationship with Neil Ferguson.

Her father is a Labour Party MP in the UK...we must never overlook the impacts on families who may have been caught up in Iran v Iraq war alas they must be fully aware that whatever this virus is, it's not a war, nor should such a Public Health matter be addressed as a Civil Emergency where countries are placed in locked down in the way we have been bc of ones own life experience.

Sobeit....I don’t care too much about PC politico writings that attempt to mould the way we should think or what we should say. I struggle with the rubbish we can’t say because I actually think we’ve socially gone too far. I don’t need anyone to tell me that you can’t refer to anyone in a shortened, easier version of a name. Just because our PM really dislikes her nickname doesn’t mean that we can’t call her that. Her response to that dislike is to get her favourite journalist to write about it and give it a sexist, depraved spin. And you believed it. Get real...I’m not sexist...I’ll continue to give anyone a nickname if it suits.

The important thing is to understand the ramifications of our Covid response of keeping it out. Where the rest of the World is gradually becoming immune, we’re being isolated immune-wise. Look at the facts and work it out. You’re animal people so you should understand the issues

3 hours ago, Sobeit said:

You lost me when you chose to call our PM 'Cindy'. This article sums up how I feel nicely. For the record my view has nothing to do with any political leaning I may or may not have.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/122658284/shes-not-a-doll-so-dont-call-the-prime-minister-cindy

OPINION: No-one dared abbreviate Margaret Thatcher’s Christian name to her face.

Her staff called their formidable boss Mrs Thatcher, or sometimes Mrs T when she was not present.

But it was Labour party rivals who demonised her as “Maggie Thatcher, Milk Snatcher”, when she ended the provision of free milk for school children in the 1970s.

READ MORE:
* Election 2020: Judith Collins says she can't control husband after series of anti-Jacinda Ardern Facebook posts

GETTY IMAGES

The tabloid press adopted the condescending diminutive Maggie and it stuck until she died in 2013.

Baroness Thatcher hated it. She was a breakthrough female politician, but couldn’t escape from patronising, gender politics.

Like Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s critics have adopted an over-familiar cutesy name.

But, just like when a stranger uses the endearments love or darlin’, it’s not meant with affection.

Play Video

PARLIAMENT TV

Last week “Cindy” was trending on Twitter, a backlash against confused Government messaging on Covid-19 testing. It crops up on comment boards and social media, even Judith Collins’ husband David Wong-Tung shared a Facebook meme that suggests we “Unite against CINDY-20”.

Its use is condescending and paternalistic. Ardern’s friends and family do not call her Cindy. In fact, she’d rather no-one did, telling the New York Times in 2018: “I just hate the nickname Cindy.”

Plenty of male politicians are known by their first name: Winston, Donald, Boris. There’s nothing sexist in calling a female politician by her first name: Jacinda is unique and memorable.

For Hillary, there was another Clinton who had served in high office and her Christian name avoided confusion.

Helen is all too common – she was known to the public as Clark. Or by her full name, sometimes Aunty Helen.

But changing (to the maddening Jacinta), or shortening someone’s name is not inconsequential. It sends a message of disrespect.

Sir John Key was never Johnnie. Sir Bill English was not called Billie. No Jimmy Bolger, Robbie Muldoon or Mikey Moore?

Because no matter what she achieves, handles, or leads, they want to sneer and remind her that she is still just a girl.

It could be worse: harassment, threats and violent rhetoric against women in leadership positions is all too common. (And she gets those too.)

But most women – and it happens most often to women by men – hate pet names from outside their friends or family.

The informality signals that a woman’s name, her title and therefore her credentials are not meaningful.

This shorthand appellation is an insidious way of diminishing Ardern’s power and agency.

But the misogynistic jab says more about the (mostly) men using it, than it does Ardern.

If sexist name-calling is all they’ve got, then she has already won the argument.

Criticism, voicing your opinion, even disliking a leader is all fine, and welcome, in a healthy political system.

And her name isn’t difficult: try to get it right. You might find people take you more seriously.

I think you will find Boris is called Bojo by plenty , therefore treated worse as both names shortened . , Trump gets called a few names too , comes with the territory , people over thinking it . I doubt the PM gives a rats about it as we are in deep shit here so it's a minor issue compared with what's on her plate .

49 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I think you will find Boris is called Bojo by plenty , therefore treated worse as both names shortened . , Trump gets called a few names too , comes with the territory , people over thinking it . I doubt the PM gives a rats about it as we are in deep shit here so it's a minor issue compared with what's on her plate .

So WHO takes the fall 🙄

Who is the Irish guy speaking and can you please post the actual youtube link thanks.

I have always felt that Tegnell and the Sweeds have prob got it right in the long run but 95% disagree with me!

Cheers, Matt

NZ Businesses Will Not Thrive Until COVID Elimination Policy Ends

A Vaccine Fix Is a Fantasy

No matter how much you try to find economists who claim that the COVID elimination strategy is great for the economy, the stories from the ground and reality aren’t reflecting the optimism. Businesses are restructuring and cutting locations, jobs and hours. Some are closing even after many years operating. More than you’re hearing about. We, the public know them. They are friends, family, us.

Tourism businesses can only go so far catering to domestic tourists alone. So if there’s no end in sight to border closures, most aren’t going to survive long term. Add to that, the possibility of the NZ government closing off a third of possible domestic tourists – Auckland – at any time. If the rest of the world starts opening up – and they are – I don’t think tourists will flock to NZ if they will continue to face the cost, inconvenience, invasive testing, and prison sentence of a 14-day quarantine just to visit. No thank you, they’ll be vacationing elsewhere. Just like wealthy NZ yacht owners and holidaymakers heading to Europe, with some unwilling to return as long as quarantine measures at the NZ border remain. There won’t even be money to be made from visiting family members of New Zealanders. No, they’ll stay away, too, for the same reasons. 

Tourism isn’t alone. Walk down just about any suburb business street or visit an Auckland mall since the August lockdown. It’s not just one or two shops.  It’s four, five and six or more this time. Restaurants, retail, service businesses. There simply isn’t the same retail rebound this time. The public is losing confidence. Even McDonalds is starting to pull out of some malls. Why operate in a mall if it can be closed at any time by the government?  Nor can one plan or invest properly in the current COVID policy climate.

Plenty of businesses are actively planning to close at the end of September as the wage subsidy ends. Others have lost their drive to continue long term in New Zealand and plan to close or sell out in the coming months unless there is a change. There are even those who are looking at leaving New Zealand permanently if lockdowns, closed borders and elimination are to remain policy. They’re over it and know they can’t continue to live or do business like this, nor is it a great future for their children.

Potential lockdowns at a moment’s notice are poison to business, creativity and mental health. Mandating masks is still a slow poison as many New Zealanders will stay away or limit their time at indoor businesses if they are forced to wear masks. There are a lot of people for whom wearing masks is uncomfortable at best. Not to mention they are more than capable of reading the fine print on boxes of disposable masks, telling them your average mask doesn’t keep out a virus and isn’t even designed for medical use.   

And a vaccine? Even the flu can’t be stopped by one. Nor most other illnesses completely. Did you hear? The WHO has had to retract its recent proclamation that polio has now been eradicated from Africa by vaccine.

Meanwhile, the death rate for Coronavirus continues to drop, even plummet along with increasing proof of previously inflated death rates in many countries overseas. It’s becoming clearer every day that it’s not dangerous for the majority of the population. Two deaths here, this “wave” after over a month of known cases, one over 80 – a tragedy of course definitely and deepest condolences to their loved ones, but how many die every day, every week, every month from cancers, TB, heart attacks, stroke, suicides and many other things including accidents? We don’t do a daily report in the news or from the government about this. We don’t set out the number of cases at 1 p.m. every day. We don’t social distance or mask up. Of course not!  We didn’t do this with Swine flu or previous pandemics. It’s never been done like this before. Tell us what changed, please?

Because the truth is, NZ is now using dynamite to blow up the ship in order to kill a flea that’s really only an ant.  We’re going to sink if we don’t stop.  NZ’s current refusal to change course with updated information doesn’t make sense. No wonder people are starting to question both narratives and motives.

Berri please post a critical analysis of this video; take it apart and discuss what is the alternative to what he states. Unless you are only interested in confirming your cognitive bias and because everything sounds like the ideas you want to believe, so you are sucking it up as being so great, that this is a 'must watch'. He refers to the science a lot, so lets hear about the null hypothesis.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:24 AM, Mattski said:

Who is the Irish guy speaking and can you please post the actual youtube link thanks.

I have always felt that Tegnell and the Sweeds have prob got it right in the long run but 95% disagree with me!

Cheers, Matt

@Mattski

Try Dr Martin Feeley & Dr Ray Walley both based in Ireland.

Main speaker is Ivor Cummins  users twitter @fatemperor.

All reputable independent pple.

Public Health Directors of Health all speak word for word off the same sheet, you know the "It's a Tricky virus"....same words also used in Germany...join the dots back to Imperial College London who like most University Science Dpts were crying out abt having no funds in the lead up to Coronavirus!!!!

18 hours ago, nzhorseracing said:

What type of person post's conspiracy driven content on a racing forum board?

So you are implying this content is false. 

Prove it. 

The owner of this site ran the Covid 19 thread in this forum for weeks, what type of person must he be ? 

20 hours ago, SavetheShire said:

Berri please post a critical analysis of this video; take it apart and discuss what is the alternative to what he states. Unless you are only interested in confirming your cognitive bias and because everything sounds like the ideas you want to believe, so you are sucking it up as being so great, that this is a 'must watch'. He refers to the science a lot, so lets hear about the null hypothesis.

Good to see your still Scanning around Racecafe Gavin . It seems you react to ideas that challenge  your belief system which confirms your Cognitive bias. Prove the Irishman wrong, it shouldnt be to difficult a task hes only a Conspiracy theorist after all 🙄

4 hours ago, Gruff said:

Good to see your still Scanning around Racecafe Gavin . It seems you react to ideas that challenge  your belief system which confirms your Cognitive bias. Prove the Irishman wrong, it shouldnt be to difficult a task hes only a Conspiracy theorist after all 🙄

I haven't got a horse in this race; I didn't post a 'Must watch' to the thoroughbred channel. Berri Te Kaha can go through it and critique it. Some flaws pop out to me, but another time.

Gavin??? I am Lester. Once was married to MIchelle. I use to spend a lot of time in the Parnell and Newmarket TAB. But I had to go to prison for a little stint, because some gal was giving me funds for a movie about this historical Russian guy that played for the All Blacks.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, Sobeit said:

READ MORE:

GETTY IMAGES

Play Video

PARLIAMENT TV

Putting Andrea Vance and Senior Journalist in one sentence is ironic....🙄

Posted on here because of interest to most. Those close to horse industry and animals have a better idea on viral spreads, immunity (especially herd), quarantine etc.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Just interested in understanding a picture of logic because politics and politicians don't have an abundance of logic. My instinct tells me that viruses are a fact of nature and by trying to convert nature you will ultimately fail. Looks as though the transfer of inert viral tissue is greater than we've been told as is the effect of exposure to it. 

Here's the key point....if I were to summarise. In winter it goes pear shaped....in summer not so bad. We're going bust and summer is on the horizon. What do we do? Do we change tact?

The selfie the PM took at Massey Uni looked a wee bit crowded , I couldn't see much mask use as they all crammed together , I am sure there's a reasonable explanation that a journo half worth their wage will ask next time there is a press conference seeing as 12 year olds were  missing buses in some Cities in South Island due to social distancing rules and being left on pavement .