RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Houlahan's Dream

Bet of the Day 12 September.....:

Hi Folks

Things have been a little quiet on here lately, so I thought I would ask an obvious question....If you are on the punt today, or even scanned the fields loosely, what is your Bet of the Day and why did you pick that particular animal. 

I like Aktau, Race 5 Flemington, goes at 4:15. 

Very solid record in Australia, won first up over a mile last December, went on to win Mornington Cup in March I think it was, over 2400. Looks like it might be on the Cups trail but still a good bet over 1700 I reckon. Paying $4s on NZTAB, $4.20 BET365. 

Have at it Cafe people. It's Saturday in NZ, you can't go to the races, so virtual fun it is......

Rosehill R8  Fasika

Trainer using this as a stepping stone for an Everest spot and owners have already started discussions with a slot holder.

Great fresh up record of 2 wins and a 2nd and has had 3 nice trials to get ready for this.Currently @ $2.60 but I believe will be $2 by start time.

18 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Interesting that all the picks are on aussie racing,that sort of explains what is fundamentaly wrong with nz racing ,it just dont appeal as much as the ozzie racing to many.

They never stopped racing like we did and since we restarted there have been so many outsiders winning at home it makes following ozzie form an "easier"and more attractive proposition and if you add in the racing .com app that is so user friendly.......

I remember on a radio saturday morning show some time ago the president of the Riccarton club was talking about the days racing there and was asked by the guy on radio for a winner for the day,lo and behold he tipped a race from ozzie,talk about not looking after his own interest,shit happens I spose.

36 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Interesting that all the picks are on aussie racing,that sort of explains what is fundamentaly wrong with nz racing ,it just dont appeal as much as the ozzie racing to many.

Ellerslie a heavy track and only 4 flat races,Riccarton a very hard track to.pick winners.Also always to find a horse with a decent chance at over odds in NZ

As people have indicated above the Aussie form is just so much easier to follow. Their racing is much better structured. We don't even make an attempt to structure ours properly. Horses just have to take their chances when they can get them. Ironically, with open entry races there is more chance of horses finding a race over the right distance these days, but then they find themselves racing way out of their class, if they can get a start.

All this does remind me that I too have a bonus bet to spend..

1 hour ago, Memphis2 said:

Fierce Impact Flemington. Has won Group one 1600 on course. Good last start. Top jock. 

Hope you had plenty on him , he looked the bet second up but that second horse was a run and a half , looks like a top hope for the cups .

9 hours ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

Good point Mike. Ellerslie is my home track, been going since I was a kid. 

Cannot pick my nose there. Terrible. 

Felmington, Rosehill, to a lesser extent Caulfied and Randwick - I do ok. 

Better horses, more reliable form, bigger pools. So yes, that is my preference. 

Apparently  the turnovers on the southern meetings since lockdown have been very good,some good fields and basically some good tracks does make a difference,we should patronize the local product,a bit hard slagging it off if not being supported by nzeders

It is true though that the weather is better in oz,that helps but in the height of summer our racing is ok too as long as you dont get too many of those 4 and 5 horse fields,there was a lot of them a while ago,not good at holiday meetings where you need to raise the profile.

34 minutes ago, mikenz said:

The irony is that while racing in heavy shit in winter is not great come summer some of the tracks get too hard,is that caused by bad management?

Which tracks Mikey? Given Aucklands water issues maybe we will see track records from the too hard 80s challenged 🤔.... Heavy 10 this morning and i noticed a 3.11 2760m ... penetrometer is useless, and given Ellerslies Topography even moreso

23 hours ago, mikenz said:

12 hours ago, mikenz said:

Apparently  the turnovers on the southern meetings since lockdown have been very good,some good fields and basically some good tracks does make a difference,we should patronize the local product,a bit hard slagging it off if not being supported by nzeders

I disagree with you on this. I am pretty much a capitalist....I spend my dollars to mostly benefit myself. I support one charity, and provide extra food for poor kids for lunches at a local school. For the rest I do not support local, or non local. 

I just look for the best product for my hard earned dollars. 

At times the local racing product is so poor, so poorly packaged and marketed......it is no great loss to spend money elsewhere. And yes, I go to the races in NZ when we are allowed,  buy a bad coffee and a sub par sandwich, etc, and I am aware that people are employed at local tracks, as I used to be and most of my family at various times. 

My point was simply that I find it far easier picking winners in Aus, than here. Although my BOTD did nothing yesterday, I did ok at Ellerslie and got Haut Brion etc at Rosehill. 

1 hour ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

I disagree with you on this. I am pretty much a capitalist....I spend my dollars to mostly benefit myself. I support one charity, and provide extra food for poor kids for lunches at a local school. For the rest I do not support local, or non local. 

I just look for the best product for my hard earned dollars. 

At times the local racing product is so poor, so poorly packaged and marketed......it is no great loss to spend money elsewhere. And yes, I go to the races in NZ when we are allowed,  buy a bad coffee and a sub par sandwich, etc, and I am aware that people are employed at local tracks, as I used to be and most of my family at various times. 

My point was simply that I find it far easier picking winners in Aus, than here. Although my BOTD did nothing yesterday, I did ok at Ellerslie and got Haut Brion etc at Rosehill. 

So I take it you wont be betting big on those 16 horse maiden races at Methven trots today

15 hours ago, mikenz said:

If the pools are comingled it does not matter what you bet on, the  tab gets the same slice for themselves and the industry.Racing .com has so much programming aimed at promoting turnover on their product, that win lose or draw at least we are getting ALL the info and punters like me have been lured in , tried it ,liked it and are happier as a result.The racing industry here has had the template for success put on a platter for them by messara and they have wasted YEARS not implementing anything, in oz the free to air broadcasting on the 7 network during the lockdown was such a success they have expanded future offerings , putting racing in front of a bigger audience than normal and having watched it , it was rather ironic that 7's coverage ( using racing.coms video) was far superior because the graphics never obscured your vision, so even racing.com could improve a bit in that regard.Again the template for success is on a platter and the aussies are successful because they have attracted punters LIKE ME.