RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Timaru v All Weather.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Thank you for that insight. Better be careful telling Bernie they own farmland, he would sell it at a drop of the hat.

Do you have any idea if the club suggested they might be the logical ones to race on New Year's Day when Waikouaiti got kicked off?

I know on new years day Tuatapere have a sports day and with Riverton racing  each may affect each other,time will tell,even if Timaru raced  on jan 1 there is still room for a southern meeting on the same date ,jan 3 that Omakau had,those Southern meetings are standalone meetings,very few went to Kurow or Waikouiti from Southland as it is so after boxing day they would have a long gap in their calandar,probably no reason why a meeting couldn't be slotted in dec 28 in a place like Cromwell to form a 3 day Otago programme then Timaru jan 1,maybe Riverton jan 3 lots of good ideas

Racing in the south has two ways it can go,it can go forward with forward thinking or backward with backward thinking.

That Omakau meeting on jan 3 was starting to suffer lack of numbers,6 races this year they race Cromwell on a friday in November,may be a better day,central at new years is for the harness races,not really room for all I spose.

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Thank you for that insight. Better be careful telling Bernie they own farmland, he would sell it at a drop of the hat.

Do you have any idea if the club suggested they might be the logical ones to race on New Year's Day when Waikouaiti got kicked off?

No I’m pretty sure they didn’t, however in years gone by there used to be a very successful two day meeting over Christmas at Timaru, the 28th - the date they run on now and New Year’s Day.

59 minutes ago, coro fan said:

No I’m pretty sure they didn’t, however in years gone by there used to be a very successful two day meeting over Christmas at Timaru, the 28th - the date they run on now and New Year’s Day.

Timaru has never raced on New Year's Day. Until about 1982 they used to race on the 27th and 30th Dec each year. The first day was Cup Day, a day after Wingatui. When Showgate won the 1,600m Timaru Cup she did it the day after winning the 2,400m Dunedin Cup. She was a pretty fair type of horse. Her's was one of the first 1,600m WFA Cups, it had previously been a stayers handicap. The second day in latter years used to feature the Showgate Stks for 3yo fillies: a pity no club in the SI considers it worth remembering that great horse these days. I often think that if Showgate and Grey Way had been Australian horses they would have feature races named after them at Flemington. We are very poor at that sort of thing in NZ, but that is another story.

Timaru has never raced on New Year's Day. Until about 1982 they used to race on the 27th and 30th Dec each year. The first day was Cup Day, a day after Wingatui. When Showgate won the 1,600m Timaru Cup she did it the day after winning the 2,400m Dunedin Cup. She was a pretty fair type of horse. Her's was one of the first 1,600m WFA Cups, it had previously been a stayers handicap. The second day in latter years used to feature the Showgate Stks for 3yo fillies: a pity no club in the SI considers it worth remembering that great horse these days. I often think that if Showgate and Grey Way had been Australian horses they would have feature races named after them at Flemington. We are very poor at that sort of thing in NZ, but that is another story.

In the seventies and probably for a long time before Waikouiti and Wyndham raced on jan 1 and Kurow raced just after that,I think even Southland raced a couple a days after Wyndham,Oamakau and the West Coast raced about the 10 of jan,gee things have changed but there is room to tweak the present calandar,should always be looking to improve all the time,so sometimes change can be good.

Sometimes I will say most times the fields at Wyndham were small in the main races,recently Waikouiti had small fields,shifting back a couple of weeks even though at Wingatui should produce better fields,time will tell tell.

Apologies - my source thought it was the 28th and Jan 1, they knew ie was a two day meeting.

16 hours ago, stodge said:

The bookies over here are open 7.30am to 9pm so that's a very long day.

A couple of Irish dog tracks stage early morning meetings (8am) and, as you say, we have American horse and dog racing into the small hours.

The thing is, betting is a 24/7 activity in the online world so Sha Tin will get its takers tomorrow morning (UK) with a 6am start and live-ish coverage on Sky Sports Racing (HKJC insist on a delay for overseas broadcast).

Racing TV has no all-night coverage while Sky Sports Racing shows US racing to 2am and Australian racing from 2am to 6am.

I'd mention the UK/Ireland isn't the only betting environment. They bet like heroes in China and Japan - does NZ racing get shown there in the mornings and I wouldn't rule out the Middle East where betting is forbidden but happens.

Selling the product to an online betting platform would bring in some income but watching Ellerslie or Riccarton at 2am would be better than Los Alamitos or Remington quarter horse racing or harnass racing from Dover 

Ellerslie and Riccarton better but I'd go some  mule racing from Dover Downsville over Ascot Park heavy 52 in winter to be honest  Stodge, it's god awful stuff sometimes in winter here .

43 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

And what was  her training regime ?

Unusual. Not many horses these days would race in a 2,400m handicap one day and back up less than 24 hours later, 2.5 hours up the road, in a 1,600 WFA race. Both Cup races, listed and group 3. And of course she won both.

2 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Ellerslie and Riccarton better but I'd go some  mule racing from Dover Downsville over Ascot Park heavy 52 in winter to be honest  Stodge, it's god awful stuff sometimes in winter here .

To be fair, that recent July meeting at Ascot Park was the first mid winter meeting I can remember there. Better examples of mid winter racing in NZ would probably be Trentham and Tauranga. I don't think either would excite international punters.

To be fair, that recent July meeting at Ascot Park was the first mid winter meeting I can remember there. Better examples of mid winter racing in NZ would probably be Trentham and Tauranga. I don't think either would excite international punters.

That Ascot Park meeting created history,1st time racing in july,the harness racing there in july did the same,in reality the gallop meet couldn't have gone off better in the circumstances and the other gallops in the south have done ok too but remember we are coming off a very warm winter but it is what it is,dont think that the south is the only place where it gets wet some of those northern meetings are hard going too,running a race meeting anytime can be weather affected,the trots at invers had one real shit day,20 or 30 years ago one wouldn't dream of racing in the winter in southland but it's not that bad.as seen by the recent results.

10 hours ago, Red Rum said:

If you're betting up here at 2am or 3am, quality is the last thing on your mind especially if you've spent the evening ploughing through Class 6 and Class 7 races at Kempton or Newcastle.

10 hours ago, coro fan said:

Turn over figures from Friday’s meeting.

img-908132736.pdf 471.38 kB · 9 downloads

You'll have to help me out - the report says NZ$937,000 was wagered but presumably somebody wins some of the time and TAB takes a cut (20%?) from everything wagered.

Is this a good number for a Friday gallop meeting - I'd expect more to be bet on a Saturday.

How does this compare with money wagered on Australian races ? 

13 hours ago, stodge said:

You'll have to help me out - the report says NZ$937,000 was wagered but presumably somebody wins some of the time and TAB takes a cut (20%?) from everything wagered.

Is this a good number for a Friday gallop meeting - I'd expect more to be bet on a Saturday.

It's a possibility that the turnover is no better on a saturday so it is possible that the midweek clubs are subsidizing  the weekend clubs,the stakes at the weekend are mostly 3 times the friday meetings,do you think the turnovers are?

13 hours ago, stodge said:

I would say that and in fact I know that the pools on saturday on the main aussie races are bigger but with commingling it's hard to know what's bet on nz tab and are the tab getting a good rake off from aussie racing,like we want them to pay us for betting on our product,is the nz TAB paying aussie for theirs?