RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

Gore today

Rocanto in race 3

Dynamic in race 5

Goldnguru in race 7

Fly Without Wings race 8

Fields of fire in the last.

For a 10 dollar multi that's 500 return,that's not bad I spose

Then if you take any three option then that's probably gunna cover you if ya multi dont win.

I will watch with interest.

I think the asians here are looking for opportunities that they probably ain't getting at home,so many riders availableĀ  I guess but only so many rides,probably fair to say if they can make a name here then they can probably go back and chase the money at home,its all about creating opportunities I guess and we reap the benefits.

1 hour ago, mikenz said:

I think the asians here are looking for opportunities that they probably ain't getting at home,so many riders availableĀ  I guess but only so many rides,probably fair to say if they can make a name here then they can probably go back and chase the money at home,its all about creating opportunities I guess and we reap the benefits.

Watched some very average rides today , and i'm being kind .

9 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Fair enough I spose the better they get the better they get,its all a work in progress,I spose.

The problem for me is a few of them have been going around for a little while now and not really improving . It can resemble a bit of a rodeo at times , and there's seems to be a real lack of understanding of pace , that one is not confined to the SI though .

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

The problem for me is a few of them have been going around for a little while now and not really improving . It can resemble a bit of a rodeo at times , and there's seems to be a real lack of understanding of pace , that one is not confined to the SI though .

I guess that's one thing harness racing does have,a bit of depth with drivers,it helps that one can eat a bit more aye.

6 hours ago, nomates said:

No, absolutely...I feel that not enough is done to teach, and I know many trainers have little appreciation of language difficulties.Ā  Ā Yes, the lads can converse reasonably well, but the nuances of our speech often miss base altogether.Ā  Tell a rider to ' ride him cold'Ā  and you will get a polite nod, but more than likely the recipient hasn't a clue what you meant.

16 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Looking at the strappers at northern meetings, I don't think stables would operate without them either.Ā 

What has happened to all the NZ/Local strappers for years we seem to have plenty of strappers but now the industry seems to haveĀ to rely on imported staff?

3 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

No, absolutely...I feel that not enough is done to teach, and I know many trainers have little appreciation of language difficulties.Ā  Ā Yes, the lads can converse reasonably well, but the nuances of our speech often miss base altogether.Ā  Tell a rider to ' ride him cold'Ā  and you will get a polite nod, but more than likely the recipient hasn't a clue what you meant.

I don't know the situation in the SI but in the CD i don't know if there is even an apprentices riding master at the moment or has been for a cpl of years , Kane Smith was the last one i knew of . I watch the apprentices up here and i see ones that have now been riding for 4/5 years and coming to the end of their apprenticeship and seriously they are riding no better , their balance , race nous , ability to use a whip , than when they were starting off .

The biggest issue as i see it is that they are not taught to understand that they are doing anĀ apprenticeship , which at the end of they are supposed to be tradesmen , professionals , but i know from talking to many over the yearsĀ they treat it as mearly a way to earn money , and good money at that . Even the average riders pick up 4/5 rides a week , plus %'s and trackwork payments they are doing alright thanks .Ā 

Most jockeys if asked what they do for a living would reply that they ride racehorses , when they should reply , they are professional jockeys .

Go into any jockey's room before a race and ask how many have studied the upcoming race and worked out a plan and i reckon you would be lucky to get 2 .

Lisa Allpress is so good for one reason , aside from being able to ride , she wants to win EVERY race . How many riders want to do that .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I don't know the situation in the SI but in the CD i don't know if there is even an apprentices riding master at the moment or has been for a cpl of years , Kane Smith was the last one i knew of . I watch the apprentices up here and i see ones that have now been riding for 4/5 years and coming to the end of their apprenticeship and seriously they are riding no better , their balance , race nous , ability to use a whip , than when they were starting off .

The biggest issue as i see it is that they are not taught to understand that they are doing anĀ apprenticeship , which at the end of they are supposed to be tradesmen , professionals , but i know from talking to many over the yearsĀ they treat it as mearly a way to earn money , and good money at that . Even the average riders pick up 4/5 rides a week , plus %'s and trackwork payments they are doing alright thanks .Ā 

Most jockeys if asked what they do for a living would reply that they ride racehorses , when they should reply , they are professional jockeys .

Go into any jockey's room before a race and ask how many have studied the upcoming race and worked out a plan and i reckon you would be lucky to get 2 .

Lisa Allpress is so good for one reason , aside from being able to ride , she wants to win EVERY race . How many riders want to do that .

They all want to win, but some more than others, homework is required, the better riders sort out the opposition and tactics

13 hours ago, nomates said:

You say a bit of a rodeo,it reminds me of a race I watched from Hokitika once not long ago,as it's a turning track I noticed a lot of the young riders going hell for leather in to the first bend,it showed a little bit of greenness,some tracks ain't just as easy as others but in reality they are putting themselves at risk.

16 minutes ago, mikenz said:

You say a bit of a rodeo,it reminds me of a race I watched from Hokitika once not long ago,as it's a turning track I noticed a lot of the young riders going hell for leather in to the first bend,it showed a little bit of greenness,some tracks ain't just as easy as others but in reality they are putting themselves at risk.

How many took the trouble to walk the track on that occasion?

26 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

How many took the trouble to walk the track on that occasion?

That's a good question. More to the point, how many of their bosses ensured they did and either walked it with them or found an experienced mentor to do so?

Hoki is/was a particularly tricky example. Aside from being the only right hand track in the SI when most of the runners have never raced that way round, the starts, bends and the finish line are all, shall we say, unique.

Some riders at Matamata today were swinging 10 plus metres wide around the home turn, watching winners come underneath them, but perhaps the replays of races not available to riders today. Well that's the only excuse i could think of. Bit like Gore?

6 minutes ago, arjay said:

Some riders at Matamata today were swinging 10 plus metres wide around the home turn, watching winners come underneath them, but perhaps the replays of races not available to riders today. Well that's the only excuse i could think of. Bit like Gore?

As i said , they are comfortable just earning a living , there was horses in front staying 3/4 wide the whole way when it was clear to Stevie Wonder the inside was on fire . Lazy , but then when they are hardly ever queried about their rides by the stipes why wouldn't they get complacent .

David Walsh
Riding Master
Training, Safety and Welfare Advisor - Southern

MobileĀ +64 27 570 0804
david.walsh@nztr.co.nz
Noel Harris
Riding Master - Central & Northern
MobileĀ +64 27 809 3678
noel.harris@nztr.co.nz
Kim Clapperton
Riding Master - Central
MobileĀ +64 27 221 9738