RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Boss Hogg

The Good Old Days part 3

22 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Were talking to mate of mine about The Good Old Days of racing in the 60's and 70's when going to the races was a great day out .With big crowds and a huge atmosphere making you want to be part of the action ,picking winners and screaming the place down  .Now I got to thinking its been a long time since we enjoyed those times . When you go to the pub for a beer it doesn't matter what you talk about after a couple of minutes someone will always start on about Covid  FFS. So a just thought for a change do you remember what was the best day you and your mates have had at the races ?  What was your best win? when you screamed the house down pissing everyone off around you  .In recent years going to the races seams very subdued compared to those days when punters were larger than life .  One of our  big collects  in the mid 70's was we backed Purple Pearl in the Great Northern Guineas to beat Balmerino  brilliant ride by Warrick Robinson keeping Balmerino jammed up on the fence we were yelling all the way up the straight and back over to the old Garden bar behind the old tote .A great day and nite  ,the good old days great memories  , Cheers BH

BH , you must have had some cracking days at Dustville Downs somewhere , I saw Katherine Races on trackside Saturday , looked a decent crowd and dusty . Spent a night there many years ago , I can only guess it gets a bit out of hand after the last .Good road in from Darwin past the termite mounds .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Many hours spent in front of that board checking out the prices . Then the queues to get your bet on . What would the administators give for regular crowds like that again .

No TAB outlets, no Lotto, and 1936. Different times = no comparison. 

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Many hours spent in front of that board checking out the prices . Then the queues to get your bet on . What would the administators give for regular crowds like that again .

Indeed....remember when Simon de Montfort won the Cup in ‘72, the stunned silence of the crowd, a true WTF moment as nearly every head turned to look at the tote indicator to see his dividend was off the board as numbers didn’t go that high......😱

24 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Indeed....remember when Simon de Montfort won the Cup in ‘72, the stunned silence of the crowd, a true WTF moment as nearly every head turned to look at the tote indicator to see his dividend was off the board as numbers didn’t go that high......😱

Hi Ohoka    We were driving up from Waiouru ,were in the CMT and had 6 of us in the landrover,  One of them wanted to back Simon de and the others allput in to back him  .Being the driver and said we cant stop at Taupo as we will get in the shit if we do. one of the boys had a transitor and when it won you could here a pin drop .Its amazing how long it took to get to Auckland in silence and in a Landrover,   Cheers BH

52 minutes ago, Trump said:

No TAB outlets, no Lotto, and 1936. Different times = no comparison. 

I'm talking 70's and 80's . Go to the TAB across the road before races before the first to put our bets on at other meetings then into the course . Crowd numbers not far removed from what the photo shows . Top deck of public was always jammed pack with people , great place to watch races .

23 hours ago, nomates said:

Got my first horse from monies won over '79 cup meeting at Trentham . 1st day had a good day topped off with a great collect off Raywood Lass in the Anniversary @ 12's .Then 2nd day got heaps off the Cubacade / Raywood Lass cup/George Adams double , they let RL go out at 15's i think , Paul Belsham lifted her off the deck to just pip Liten Hest, screamed my head off . Been chasing it ever since . Not 100% sure on Cubacade or Liten Hest , bloody memory , i,m going to blame it on having seen too many great races and racehorses .

My dad took me to my first cup when Timon won , the Blue Blood pipped Mop and Panagor in the Telegraph , fantastic . I was 13 i think , also remember the Grey Way / Copper Belt clashes , unfortunately Trentham just a shadow of past glories , very sad to see . 

God i could be here all day .

Hi Nomates  Remember Timon winning big time ,We were bookmaking then and the pub was packed  ,we had taken huge bets  and as the Cup was coming up my Partner in Crime said we are dead and buried its going to be a blood bath .I said no one has backed Timon ,he said you are a f###kn idiot ,  Timon held on by a nose from Guest Star we were drinking Lion Red straight out of our shoes boy we new how to celebrate back then  Cheers BH

3 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Hi Nomates  Remember Timon winning big time ,We were bookmaking then and the pub was packed  ,we had taken huge bets  and as the Cup was coming up my Partner in Crime said we are dead and buried its going to be a blood bath .I said no one has backed Timon ,he said you are a f###kn idiot ,  Timon held on by a nose from Guest Star we were drinking Lion Red straight out of our shoes boy we new how to celebrate back then  Cheers BH

The Telegraph is the race i remember from that day , think it was Blue Bloods 3rd Telegraph , i was only 13/14 , and it left a lasting impression . 

I could talk all day about the racing thru the 70's , 80's and even most of the 90's , as i'm sure yourself and many others could . Just the best memories , it saddens me so much to see how far our racing has declined . I just take pleasure that i got to experience racing through that period .

21 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Timon paid a big divvy,I remember a horse in that race called seven forty seven,anyone remember that one?

4 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Timon paid a big divvy,I remember a horse in that race called seven forty seven,anyone remember that one?

I think ??? , Kevin Old trained him , again i think he won 3 New Plymouth cups , grand old horse . Really 50/50 on this but i think Nelson Bunker Hunt may have raced him . 

They were good days as I was at school then.life was simpler. TV has changed people's habits as in going to races and other events,so many other things as well,the over supply of aussie racing and no doubt a lot of it is pretty good hasn't helped nz racing,I think interest is still there but attending races has except for the odd traditional meetings is a thing of the past.

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

BH , you must have had some cracking days at Dustville Downs somewhere , I saw Katherine Races on trackside Saturday , looked a decent crowd and dusty . Spent a night there many years ago , I can only guess it gets a bit out of hand after the last .Good road in from Darwin past the termite mounds .

Hi Red  It is near the end of a long trip for many a trainer ,owner and Jockeys that had started back on the west coast ,trainers from Adelaide and Melbourne  had started to drop their slow horses at each race meeting as they traveled north to Broome and then across to Katherine and back down to Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.Katherine is a great day ,getting courtesy bus to and from the races  They get you out of there after the races to one of the clubs and courtesy bus will get you back to the caravan park ,no drink driving .Next biggest race day on the circuit after Broome.  A better meeting is a short 200 k's drive up the road to Adelaide River staying behind the pub and walking to track ,intertrack betting and bookies lot of fun ,back to caravan park for a beer by one of the best swimming pools and pubs in NT .It certainly gives your liver a hiding >CHeers BH

30 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Hi Red  It is near the end of a long trip for many a trainer ,owner and Jockeys that had started back on the west coast ,trainers from Adelaide and Melbourne  had started to drop their slow horses at each race meeting as they traveled north to Broome and then across to Katherine and back down to Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.Katherine is a great day ,getting courtesy bus to and from the races  They get you out of there after the races to one of the clubs and courtesy bus will get you back to the caravan park ,no drink driving .Next biggest race day on the circuit after Broome.  A better meeting is a short 200 k's drive up the road to Adelaide River staying behind the pub and walking to track ,intertrack betting and bookies lot of fun ,back to caravan park for a beer by one of the best swimming pools and pubs in NT .It certainly gives your liver a hiding >CHeers BH

Been on boat trip on Adelaide River , jumping  crocs I recall. I see a Sebring- Dance on By gelding ran at Canterbury trials Tuesday , his half brother was at Cummings yard but  ended doing a tour like one of yours , he went back to back Birdsville then Mount Isa for a few before getting sacked . Humpty Doo should have a track , that's a town that used to be a bit different .

3 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Beyer Classic at the Levin course in the late 70's.

Mid week, plenty of hype, big crowd, top horses, byo cans of beer. From memory both Grey Way and Copper Belt raced in the Levin Classic..

Ahhhh those were the days.

And dont forget Altitude vs Noble Heights who both came back from Riccarton after winning the 2000 and 1000 guineas respectively. Altitude beat Noble Heights into 2nd that day.