RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
45yearsofharness

Time for a rule change, re excess galloping

The 150m rule should be subject to change, yesterday at Cambridge Lady Be Good won brilliantly only to go under a protest for excess galloping, apparently galloped 148m so was only 2m away from being disqualified, that would have been the worst scenario for such a great effort.

I my self have been burnt as an owner with this rule, and also back in the 80's one of our horses lost so much ground he was out of the race, but managed to run second to the shock of the commentator and those on track. Under today's rule he would have been disqualified.

This is tough. If it  wasn't for the rule some horses may not be pulled back while finding their gait and therefore not loose ground. Trying to enforce a rule to ensure this didn't happen would be so vulnerable to interpretation. I too have been burnt by this rule but at least it is clear cut for all.

14 minutes ago, Nelli said:

This is tough. If it  wasn't for the rule some horses may not be pulled back while finding their gait and therefore not loose ground. Trying to enforce a rule to ensure this didn't happen would be so vulnerable to interpretation. I too have been burnt by this rule but at least it is clear cut for all.

True and agree, but there are so many rules that are open to interpretation now, one more wont hurt.

Most rules have "may be" in them, which is totally open to interpretation.

This falls into the "damned if you do etc." category.    Similarly the driver who doesnt give the horse a slap but hits the cart 11 times" or does 6 hits on horse then 5 slaps on dust sheet.  It's in the book so tough!