RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Big of NZTR

I have spoken out for many many years, but to no avail.

Leo spelled it out a good few years ago now too, and his points are really coming home to roost.

I still can’t believe we have lost our radio content, a certain death knell for many punters, alot who I know personally won’t have a bar of the NZ TAB set up, who by rights should fund that.
One mate went to bet with his voucher, they wanted his TAB account number, otherwise he couldn’t use it to have his next bet as it was over $1000 dollars.
Money laundering is the excuse, how pathetic is that!

Saturday was a classic example, the tail wagging the dog.

TAB pods the way forward, not even turned on at TeRapa on Saturday!

WTF?

I spent Saturday at a pub with a mate who is old school. Does all his betting in cash and has been as long as  I have known him. He was placing $50 win bets 35 years ago when we were kids.

Now he doesn't see any form in the paper, cannot get radio trackside on the worksite, limited physical places to place a bet, and as a consequence bets much much less.

Clearly not wanted by the TAB - bemused by the fact I get bonus bets and money back promotions etc which he doesn't access. I suspect there are hundreds of him ... and the current 20 year olds don't actually see anything about horse racing anywhere so no chance of hooking them.

Yep a sunset industry

47 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I spent Saturday at a pub with a mate who is old school. Does all his betting in cash and has been as long as  I have known him. He was placing $50 win bets 35 years ago when we were kids.

Now he doesn't see any form in the paper, cannot get radio trackside on the worksite, limited physical places to place a bet, and as a consequence bets much much less.

Clearly not wanted by the TAB - bemused by the fact I get bonus bets and money back promotions etc which he doesn't access. I suspect there are hundreds of him ... and the current 20 year olds don't actually see anything about horse racing anywhere so no chance of hooking them.

Yep a sunset industry

This totally correct.....the traditional way things were run was actually very 'convenient' to our lifestyles......TAB in every suburb , racing page in all papers, local track with a few meetings every year to enjoy....then into phone betting...all so easy.

But costs spiralled out of control ,money all went into to running this expensive structure and stakes and racing very regionalised and conflicts of interest all over place.

So we were going broke...Co-vid just brought it to conclusion.

No more money left ,except to stumble on.....hoping for a miracle.

Guvmint bailout a nice bandaid.

Yet the resilient owners box on....unbelievable really !

40 years ago they said there were far too many tracks in NZ......hence now they decide to close some everybody can't believe it !

Sports also have been killed by excessive costs[ salaries] but getting reprieve by current massive support at turnstiles.

Racing unlikely to follow suit as interest is dying ...too boring for new generation with money to spend.

Lotto and live rugby and eating out and flash phones with apps and stuff the current go.

We all have mates like yours !