RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JETSUN

Auction by Loaded Gun

Yes, I know exactly what you mean and have experienced similar at auctions. However, I just wondered what would happen without buybacks. What if all buyers knew all pups were actually for sale and believed that they actually had a better chance of buying the pups that would reach the race final. The breeders of the "superior bred"? pups now not entered in the sale and therefore not competing in the race series.

Just a question.

Gordon.

That you would want every pup to be found, to be entered from who ever. The prize money pool bigger for the taking. This is what happens in NZ, people put obstacles in the way instead of keeping things simple.

Lion

When Dapto first started, they struggled to get 300 pups which was their goal (think 220 odd entered the first year) and the quality of the was average - they basically took every pup entered and yet the sale was very successful and from there it grew - there were a few well bred pups but most were from average performed bitches and some backyard sires

This years Auction was the best cateloge they had ever had

Point is, you just need to get a starting series - buybacks are not a concern as they generate 'income' for the race

By trying to promote an 'unreserved' auction, you will only get the 'unfashionable' bred or 'lesser lights' pups enetered and the auction will not generate the necessary 'hype' of say a 'Bombastic Shiraz x Winsome Ashley' pup

Its about creating interest to attract new owners/syndicates and even just to get 'newbies' to come and look at our 'product'

Bring the likes of Little Mother, Sergio and Swift Fantasy to the auction, show their races on the big screen and let people pat them, get their photos taken, talk to their trainers and show them what we have to offer for a smaller price their either of the horse codes

Employ a few 'volunteers' to show people what to do when they have purchased a pup, set up stalls for rearing places to take enquiries, break in people to hand out business cards, provide a trainers list with numbers and details so one can be located when the pups are ready to go racing

Make the process as simple as possible to take away the 'unknown/what do I do now' factor to a newbie which can be daunting to say the least

Put up flyers in TAB/Pubs - get the local punters to put them and say 3 mates together and form a syndicate and come to the action - throw $500 in each and buy a pup for $2,000 - 'minimal' outlay for 'maximum' fun

Just a few idea's on what I think will work to promote the industry and get the 'first times' to come and have a look

When Dapto first started, they struggled to get 300 pups which was their goal (think 220 odd entered the first year) and the quality of the was average - they basically took every pup entered and yet the sale was very successful and from there it grew - there were a few well bred pups but most were from average performed bitches and some backyard sires

This years Auction was the best cateloge they had ever had

Point is, you just need to get a starting series - buybacks are not a concern as they generate 'income' for the race

By trying to promote an 'unreserved' auction, you will only get the 'unfashionable' bred or 'lesser lights' pups enetered and the auction will not generate the necessary 'hype' of say a 'Bombastic Shiraz x Winsome Ashley' pup

Its about creating interest to attract new owners/syndicates and even just to get 'newbies' to come and look at our 'product'

Bring the likes of Little Mother, Sergio and Swift Fantasy to the auction, show their races on the big screen and let people pat them, get their photos taken, talk to their trainers and show them what we have to offer for a smaller price their either of the horse codes

Employ a few 'volunteers' to show people what to do when they have purchased a pup, set up stalls for rearing places to take enquiries, break in people to hand out business cards, provide a trainers list with numbers and details so one can be located when the pups are ready to go racing

Make the process as simple as possible to take away the 'unknown/what do I do now' factor to a newbie which can be daunting to say the least

Put up flyers in TAB/Pubs - get the local punters to put them and say 3 mates together and form a syndicate and come to the action - throw $500 in each and buy a pup for $2,000 - 'minimal' outlay for 'maximum' fun

Just a few idea's on what I think will work to promote the industry and get the 'first times' to come and have a look

Jibbs, as you have touched on before unless there are commercial rearers ready to promote their facilities for prospective purchasers at the auction then it is going to be a struggle for any new owners. Buying a pup sounds great but then what? Who is going to rear and break the pup in..?

Sorry but im not in complete understanding of Dapto etc auctions, are you just given a book detailing all the dogs breeding and lines etc or are the dogs on site and paraded around or are the majority already broken in and race around the track to give the buyer an idea of the dogs value and potenitial?

Cheers

You get a catelogue with all the pups breeding history and they on site for you to have a look at - they get vet checked on the day and purchasers are made aware of any injuries, you get the naming papers and vacination certificates to view as well

nice work jibs and of course we will supply free of charge a auctioneer our company computer package which will cover catalogues ,invoicing and flyers..

it can work alright

but we need rearing places in nz on a commercial basis.the new northland puppy rearing farm can take 25 ..but is already booked out for its grand opening on august 1st....

Loaded, are we just talking young pups here? Something that might draw the crowds is a venue and say a hundred or so Saplings and racing dogs not up to the standard of their trainers, or anything of age trial ... three dog trials for saplings and same for the older dogs,

also parade the young un - raced pups aged from say 6 months to a year ( as at Dapto and Ipswich.

Trials in the morning break for a two hour lunch with a few beers time to chat to the trainers.. auction in the early afternoon ..... great day out with the excitement of pitting your wits against other buyers after clocking your prospective purchases racing.

I would be there for one and sure that many enthusiast would be there too.

Just my three penneth but maybe worth thinking about

Regards Casty

You get a catelogue with all the pups breeding history and they on site for you to have a look at - they get vet checked on the day and purchasers are made aware of any injuries, you get the naming papers and vacination certificates to view as well

So the way i understand it then, rearing isnt so much the issue, its more the breaking in. And it also sounds like a higher percentage of these dogs would be broken in already and would be going straight to a trainer for a spell before lighting up the track.

Am i correct or are we talking pups anywhere from 2-12months old?

Thanks for all your comments/info. I started this thread and further posts aimed at generating discussion. My one belief is that something like this could be a shot in the arm for our sport.

We have to get people looking at our NZ breeding, and we need to generate a new band of local owners.

From all the above I believe more than ever that this could work. I hope someone with the knowledge and time to do this takes a serious look at the posibilities. It would be far more proactive than whinging about imports/sprinters etc.

nice work jibs and of course we will supply free of charge a auctioneer our company computer package which will cover catalogues ,invoicing and flyers..

it can work alright

but we need rearing places in nz on a commercial basis.the new northland puppy rearing farm can take 25 ..but is already booked out for its grand opening on august 1st....

Loaded, Could you let me know who is running the set up in Northland and where it is based Thanks Casty

So the way i understand it then, rearing isnt so much the issue, its more the breaking in. And it also sounds like a higher percentage of these dogs would be broken in already and would be going straight to a trainer for a spell before lighting up the track.

Am i correct or are we talking pups anywhere from 2-12months old?

Talking pups from 3 months (once earbranded) to say 9 or 10 months

That is the ideal range so you have the cheaper younger dogs (as they have more cost to get them to break in) and the older more expensive pups (as the majority of the costs are paid and only a few months until break in)