RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Just Looking

First starter in Rating 88

The open entry races have made the fields difficult for lower rated horses - particularly a rating 67, 68 horse - take Friday at Wanganui the rating 88 race framed race has 63 kg top weight and the bottom at 55 kg minimum 

Can someone please tell me the last time a first starter started in an open framed market - the B1 horse should be getting 21kg off the top weight 🤦‍♀️

F1E35243-A657-4186-BE27-4D0EE0FF648E.png

10 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine the trainer is a bit dopy. Balloted in a rating 88 when it could have got a start in a maiden over the same distance. Perhaps we need an intelligence test when people apply for a trainers licence.

Be careful what you suggest , that one could thin the ranks a bit .

How does  the handicapper know how good the horse is , handicap is weight on ability , that's why in a lot of places the horse needs 3 runs or a win whatever is earlier to get a mark. This horse could be well in . I doubt it though .

Hi J L   In the early 70's a horse called Dyak I think it was only about his 3rd or 4th start  was placed in an open handicap ,everyone went on about it ,how did he get into the race etc etc . Guess what he won so never  under estimate what a trainer thinks of his horse . By the way your phone needs charging J L  just saying .Cheers BH

21 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Hi J L   In the early 70's a horse called Dyak I think it was only about his 3rd or 4th start  was placed in an open handicap ,everyone went on about it ,how did he get into the race etc etc . Guess what he won so never  under estimate what a trainer thinks of his horse . By the way your phone needs charging J L  just saying .Cheers BH

Won after three or four starts with experience down on a much lower minimum than the 55kg tomorrow   - this is a first starter - no Raceday Experience - and one trial   - let’s see ...if it gets off the ballot 

19 minutes ago, Just Looking said:

Won after three or four starts with experience down on a much lower minimum than the 55kg tomorrow   - this is a first starter - no Raceday Experience - and one trial   - let’s see ...if it gets off the ballot 

They may be hoping to not get off the ballot.

Remember that entering and not getting a start costs nothing and means it will have preference for a start when next entered. That means it can run pretty much wherever and whenever they want.

If that's the case, I'd regard it as a pretty smart strategy.

41 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Remember that entering and not getting a start costs nothing and means it will have preference for a start when next entered. That means it can run pretty much wherever and whenever they want.

That's smart thinking by trainer 

In UK and Ireland that horse would be automatic top weight .Luca Cumani was a very shrewd operator with some  his 3 year olds working the system ,  3 quiet runs up North England to start career  , get a mark into a decent Goodwood handicap on 8 stone ish , win then by end year horse is pattern class and you realise the horse was  nailed on at 8st 2 months before . Mark Johnstone does that a bit , watch out for them next week at Goodwood .

9 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

I recall a horse named Secret Admirer placing in a Foxbridge Plate as a maiden? 🤔

I think there was a thread about maidens winning big ones a while back,  horse I remember from about 10 back in UK was Dragon Dancer , as a maiden  he got to 119 (multiple winner  like  Magic Wand is only on peak of  116 )  , beat home future Arc winner , placed in two Derbys . Took until 4 years old to get his head in front .

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I thought that process had now ceased Leggy?

11 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Where did  you see that? Don't think I was advised but may have missed it.

I agree there is no more ballots getting preference and the next meeting. 

21 hours ago, Just Looking said:

The open entry races have made the fields difficult for lower rated horses - particularly a rating 67, 68 horse - take Friday at Wanganui the rating 88 race framed race has 63 kg top weight and the bottom at 55 kg minimum 

Can someone please tell me the last time a first starter started in an open framed market - the B1 horse should be getting 21kg off the top weight 🤦‍♀️

F1E35243-A657-4186-BE27-4D0EE0FF648E.png

I was going to get someone to ask Swanny just how good this thing was??? 🤑🤑
I now see someone scratched it ! 😮

11 hours ago, Leggy said:

Would have made the field in a maiden today - that criteria for guaranteed a start only for July - it’s scratched now 

I have a horse in Aust having its first start.Won a jump out on grass.The trainer is starting first up on Synthetic at Pakenham which has a reputation for bad kickback.He has a 30win apprentice riding. Wouldn't it be more prudent to start on a grass track with a fully fledged jockey first up. Obviously I don't wish to tell the trainer his job but just wondering.

2 hours ago, jeepers said:

I have a horse in Aust having its first start.Won a jump out on grass.The trainer is starting first up on Synthetic at Pakenham which has a reputation for bad kickback.He has a 30win apprentice riding. Wouldn't it be more prudent to start on a grass track with a fully fledged jockey first up. Obviously I don't wish to tell the trainer his job but just wondering.

The vast majority of horses in Europe go similar levels on turf and polytrack according to ratings , a few have different marks . Most good trainers up there gallop horses on poly no problem . Good luck with your horse for its debut .

36 minutes ago, jeepers said:

Thank you Red Rum.Have had no feedback from the Trainer as to chances or ability but have been paying since sales 2years ago. I have another horse and young trainer at Bendigo who contacts me every 2 weeks,Tops.

The stats re performance level of horses on turf and synthetic are on BHA website ,  horses like Enable and Kameko trainers have no bother running them  on Tapeta or Poly and Andrew Balding just put in polytrack gallop . Not sure the stats in OZ , I think sometimes performance levels go up and down turf / synthetic is IMHO  because a lot of horses running on that surface in the main midweekers who are in and out anyway . 

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The stats re performance level of horses on turf and synthetic are on BHA website ,  horses like Enable and Kameko trainers have no bother running them  on Tapeta or Poly and Andrew Balding just put in polytrack gallop . Not sure the stats in OZ , I think sometimes performance levels go up and down turf / synthetic is IMHO  because a lot of horses running on that surface in the main midweekers who are in and out anyway . 

Robert Hickmott made the point that those horses who preferred wet tracks are disadvantaged on synthetic tracks but are sometimes forced to run there due to meeting changes or cancellations. Clearly some horses like it and many do not. You have to consider this in doing the form.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, Boss Hogg said:

Was it also this same Dyak who became a reasonably handy horse but then stripped of several wins due to an ownership snarl-up? I seem to recall the name of Ron Kingsnorth associated with the saga.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, jeepers said:

If it was Lord Wonder, well done. Very nice effort first up. And if it wasn’t, follow it.....😉

On 7/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, Boss Hogg said:

I damn near owned Dyak way back then. Rob Fielder offered him to us before he went on to be open class but for some reason between my partner and me we didn’t proceed. 
We were also offered another horse about the same time that also went on to open class and again we said no. His name was Classico. 
Both were maidens or one win horses at the time, so an opportunity went begging that’s for sure. 
Liz