RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

Dominion Sportsmen's Association

That association with such a euphemistic name was really the Bookies' Union, back in pre TAB days.

I have been hearing alarming reports about bookies getting huge boosts to their turnover.

Why?

Because the powers that be at the TAB are making betting such an unnecessarily difficult task.  Call the bookie is a damned sight easier than negotiating one's way around a self service betting terminal, which is generally clogged up with dog racing from the "back of Bourke", gallops from Uruguay, Brazil and sundry other rubbish.  The turnips, that run the TAB, even have trotting run by Swedes.

I wonder if the Dominion Sportsmen's Association will be revived.

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

Full circle. They put TAB's into pubs to stop the money leaking to the Bookies. People want to bet but the TAB don't want to take their money.

I wonder if anyone there ever bothered to read and inform themselves about that?

https://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10092/1026/thesis_fulltext.pdf?sequence=1

Thanks Leggy My head hurts after trying to read all that , but i enjoyed it  .I remember the first time I was convicted  for Bookmaking in 1976  the judge said ''he thought it was a victimless crime and I was doing a service''  I thought shit I'm going to get off,  but then he turned nasty and said  there is a TAB down the road that people could use and fined me $500  ,I paid the fine  ,then went down to the police station and they had to return the $3000 they had taken off me when I was arrested ,don't you love the good old days  .Cheers BH

48 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Thanks Leggy My head hurts after trying to read all that , but i enjoyed it  .I remember the first time I was convicted  for Bookmaking in 1976  the judge said ''he thought it was a victimless crime and I was doing a service''  I thought shit I'm going to get off,  but then he turned nasty and said  there is a TAB down the road that people could use and fined me $500  ,I paid the fine  ,then went down to the police station and they had to return the $3000 they had taken off me when I was arrested ,don't you love the good old days  .Cheers BH

Thought about taking it up again? It's a booming growth industry it seems and if the Oz bookies are slammed with both Racefields and a PoC tax, there'll be no competition.

Hi leggy  would be great but see the time frame 1976 ,I think its a young mans game .We had a lot of fun and some real hardcase stories .We did it for about 3years or so in the great times of racing. My last conviction in 1979 was the final straw .Between me and my Partner in crime we were starting to spend more time in the police cells than in the pub so decided to retire if thats the right word and put on a big piss up at our pub ,great memories ,Cheers BH