RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

Fake racing news only paints the glossy picture 

Fake racing news only paints the glossy picture 

by Brian de Lore
Published 17 July 2020

Truth is stranger than fiction as the saying goes but the problem with racing today is that no one is telling the truth, and therefore the racing public cannot make the comparison.

We know the fiction dished up to racing people is strange but it’s becoming even more curious, and the fiction was again on show this week when some non-des-plume writer posing as ‘Newsdesk.’ wrote a story entitled, ‘Outgoing McKenzie hails Racing Industry Act.’

Subsequent inquiries to NZTR has revealed the author of this advertorial journalism is Andrew Birch.

It’s a hard headline to swallow given that Dean McKenzie and RITA was diametrically opposed to most of the changes made to the legislation between the first and second reading (and there were a lot of changes), but he is now displaying his versatility by adapting to it like a chameleon and is happy to accept the credit for all the gains made in legislation, given he is the boss of racing’s reform.

New Zealand racing administration has seen plenty of chameleons

The ability of the chameleon to change colour and adapt immediately to the environment in which it resides has long mystified the scientific world; in New Zealand racing administration, however, we have seen plenty of chameleons come and go.

The opening salvor in this article fails to convince in saying, “McKenzie believes his time at the helm of NZ racing is ending on a high with the passing of the Racing Industry Act.”

Let’ s get this straight! The Racing Bill reads only the way it reads because of a focused Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee who met most of the wishes contained in the well over 900 diligently written submissions including almost 100 who fronted personally for the oral hearings. They are responsible for this legislation – not the lines of arguments put forward by RITA, which performed poorly at the hearings (McKenzie) and was against many of the issues the industry wanted, such as retention of the IP (Intellectual property).

Further on in this story, McKenzie continues to use the pandemic excuse by saying, “COVID-19 was the ultimate curveball,” but Treasury throws cold water on that excuse in a paper that appeared on it’ s website that can be found at:

file:///C:/Users/User/OneDrive/Documents/NZRB-RITA/TreasuryRacingb20-initiatives-ia-4278244.pdf

On Page 4, Clause 5 says: “note, that due diligence on the RITA has confirmed that there were significant commercial and ownership issues that existed prior to COVID-19, and that the long-term commercial viability of RITA may be in question unless significant reforms are made.”

Treasury had PWC looking at the RITA books in March and Clause 5 confirms everything The Optimist has been saying about RITA’ s financial state over the past year.

Clause 6 confirms what Minister Peters alluded to in his pre-budget announcement: “note, that RITA is likely to require further additional support in the future to position the industry for recovery.”

It’ s not that difficult to conclude if you’re the recipient of $50 million from the Budget 2020 but still require further funding with a big question-mark on the long-term commercial viability, according to Treasury’s advice from PWC, then you’re skint.

…budget figures disclosed did not add up to delivering the funding for the codes for 2020 ($139.6 million)…

RITA still hasn’ t posted the full half-year report on their website, only an abbreviated version in News. It was put up briefly but taken down quickly and has not reappeared. The reason possibly because the budget figures disclosed did not add up to delivering the funding for the codes for 2020 ($139.6 million) committed to by Dean McKenzie and RITA. You can only cover up for so long – the truth will have to come out but no one is telling it at the moment.

McKenzie talks about how well he’s done with the legislation but fails to mention RITAs debt level to the ASB which is still reputed to be at $45 or $47 million.

Remember, it’s election year, and our Minister will not want any bad news for racing until at least September 20th. To catch the votes, lousy news must be toned down to a minimum, and that’s why we are supposedly racing for the same stakes – the $139.6 million – although there’s nowhere near that amount of money available coming in on current revenue levels.

The get-out clause of a quarterly review on stakes money is sure to be used. And that’s why this good news story about McKenzie, who like Allen before him, is only fake news, strangely posted on the NZTR website.

Why would such a story appear on the website of NZTR promoting someone who has caused them the most grief in the past 18 months? NZTR supposedly represents the participants of the industry, and in fact, is in place to serve the industry in the best manner possible.

Where is the leadership? Racing people in New Zealand at the very least deserve some honesty, but no one from any organisation is currently providing it.

The End

1. Alice Hoodsays:

Well said. I asked NZR CEO, for one of his online question sessions who and what the ” suppliers and suppliers” were that were to be paid the $26m. His answer, you’ll have to write to RITA as they know that. Why have we got a CEO who either won’t or can’t answer that question. As a breeder and race horse owner, I am pouring money into a dark hole as there is no transparency . it is a sorry state of affairs. WE need the truth before the election but it probably won’t happen

No leadership, no transparency, no accountability – this industry has all three in truckloads

1. 03430a9d2caad6a1e5898adb8b72c4e6?s=42&d=steve herlihysays:

I,m laughing and out LOUD , what a circus, and everyone stakeholder pre covid are still in.

Had a light bulb moment

I have scaled my racing interests down to one horse and have ceased breeding after 25 years.
    FREEDOM of choice , I don,t have to put with the BS .

My bank balance is on the rise, think I might buy a boat, or a plane !

Let me know when the industry goes bust, and when the NEW opposition company are calling for share holders.

Thanks Brian , for all the hard yards , no BS, love your work.

Leave a Reply