RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Red Rum

Cross Country Chase Course 11.10 pm tonight France

If you like watching something different race 2 Les Lion de Angers tonight shows as being on trackside, although sometimes they cut to somewhere else  . This is a very unique course . The race tonight over 4500 , they wind all over the show and will at one point head up a step hill into a forest and come down after the loop down the other side not quite as steep as the Hickstead show jumping but the steepest you will see on a racetrack . No bloody idea who might win worth a watch .

Watched a replay. Amazing race. Only two casualties. They seemed to be going at a good clip. 

You wouldn’t want to lead if it was your first time round there. One of the fallen runners jumped the running rail after the finish. 

The steeplechase was abandoned. I wonder what happened there. 

Seen one a few weeks ago, 3yo fillies first starters over 3200 hurdle race. Had me a bit bamboozled to start with when they all went and jumped the first fence and then pulled up only to learn they have a practice jump before they start. Flag start, all just milled around in what looked no particular order and off they went, all pretty easy with no dramas. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Seen one a few weeks ago, 3yo fillies first starters over 3200 hurdle race. Had me a bit bamboozled to start with when they all went and jumped the first fence and then pulled up only to learn they have a practice jump before they start. Flag start, all just milled around in what looked no particular order and off they went, all pretty easy with no dramas. 

The French horses are so well schooled and educated , in fact when Martin Pipe tapped into them around late nineties with the 4 year old novice  chasers they were so good and so forward they had to change the WFA scale for the novices . Horses like Majadou just cruised round Cheltenham , although tread on few got worn early and by 6 they were over it .

A lot are not thoroughbreds as such that why some races you get the trotting situation where they all start with same letter , The Fellow was one early Raiders over to UK and won big , pretty sure he wasn't a thoroughbred,  Selle Francais or something like that , kind of part bred . I am sure the breeders on here will be more knowledgeable on it .

Dawn Run I think it was went over in 80s , fell at practice hurdle then went and won , sure it was her .

12 hours ago, Memphis2 said:

Watched a replay. Amazing race. Only two casualties. They seemed to be going at a good clip. 

You wouldn’t want to lead if it was your first time round there. One of the fallen runners jumped the running rail after the finish. 

The steeplechase was abandoned. I wonder what happened there. 

I thought they were flying yesterday , have a look at course map it's a GPS job . Frustrating the cutting to dirt track Japan but least we got to see the run around the mountain .

Challenge Loire DE Anjou is big one over long trip , in May .I've spelt it wrong my French is better spoken than written to be honest , Au Revoir for now .

9 hours ago, stodge said:

The French love their steeplechasing and cross country races.

Tracks like Compiegne have a regular chase course AND a cross country course. Another popular venue is Pompadour.

I'm delighted you're getting to see a bit of French racing over in NZ.

Auteuil on my bucket list . 

8 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Auteuil on my bucket list . 

It's the French version of Cheltenham. It's very well watered to provide soft ground all summer.

Plenty of British trainers go over and snap up the 3-y-o hurdlers to run in the UK - they have, as others have said, experience.

The 4-y-o chasers set a trend which is now happening in the UK and Ireland. Weight for age gives the 4-y-o a huge advantage in chases.

7 hours ago, stodge said:

It's the French version of Cheltenham. It's very well watered to provide soft ground all summer.

Plenty of British trainers go over and snap up the 3-y-o hurdlers to run in the UK - they have, as others have said, experience.

The 4-y-o chasers set a trend which is now happening in the UK and Ireland. Weight for age gives the 4-y-o a huge advantage in chases.

Had a check in July 99 they changed weight allowance as it was so big an impact these young French horses were having . Biggest impact was Jan to March as they just turned 5 according to report by BHA  . Had a look at horse called Majadou who I remember cleaned up one year and I think tipped the scales to have a review . He hosed round Cheltenham on 10st 7 , next non winner 11st 4 plus more given away by some with penalties, he ran up a sequence  . Even the adjustment clearly hasn't stopped them though  . They used to burn out quick some of them but that also appears to have changed now the UK and Irish trainers have got experience with these horses . Majadou did little after his festival win in March 99 .