RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Whyisit

Stratford pulls the plug.

11 hours ago, wobbly said:

I concur Whyisit...cut them adrift!

Compare Stratford RC to Waverley RC (regular track and facility improvements, cash comfortable and still playing the game)...no self-appointed, self-absorbed, entitled, non-achieving relics there!

If things get worse with suits running the industry...how many other clubs will follow Stratford's lead?

15 hours ago, Stables said:

Now Mike, you know the answer as should every person on this site that saw Messara as the messiah. He advocated that the industry should be restructured with land and assets from clubs set to be closed down, to be transferred to improve facilities and tracks at the clubs that remained. Now as I recall almost all posters on this site welcomed the Messara report and applauded Winston Peters for his readiness to introduce legislation to bring Messaras ideas to fruition. Now we all have exactly what we asked for

And still you don't answer my question Stables

And you are wrong, WE don't have all WE asked for

You are not ALL despite your feelings of grandeur

Mikie

15 hours ago, Stables said:

Now Mike, you know the answer as should every person on this site that saw Messara as the messiah. He advocated that the industry should be restructured with land and assets from clubs set to be closed down, to be transferred to improve facilities and tracks at the clubs that remained. Now as I recall almost all posters on this site welcomed the Messara report and applauded Winston Peters for his readiness to introduce legislation to bring Messaras ideas to fruition. Now we all have exactly what we asked for

Not too sure about "almost all posters welcomed Messara". When I read his proposal to close Timaru and keep Waikouaiti I figured that if he got that bit so wrong then the rest of the report wouldn't be worth reading. The rest of the report might have been brilliant, but I wouldn't know. It might have been like a student sitting an exam who gets all the easy questions wrong but somehow does brilliantly with the hard questions....

1 hour ago, Stables said:

Mike, grandeur is not a problem of mine, you are the one who has been recently resurrected

Completely unaware of any correlation between grandeur and resurrection Stables

I have no problems with your posts, you seem relatively well informed, with the exception of your “toe the party line, close down all country tracks” mantra because I doubt that you have any idea as to what it costs to open certain tracks and I also think that you are under the impression that country tracks are given more funding than they earn. 

Mikie

You are talking in riddles

What is the cost to the industry of the upkeep at say, Manawatu HRC?

If you don’t go then there is no travel cost is there? Let’s use the South Island as an example. No trainer HAS to go to either Nelson or Blenheim as they have over 70 days in which to race at Addington. They are not forced to travel at all

Mixie

3 hours ago, Stables said:

No problem with country tracks other than the cost of their upkeep

44 minutes ago, Stables said:

Without looking at Palmerston North's P&L account I can't answer your question

So i can assume you have been able to access the figures from somewhere to substantiate the first statement regarding the cost of maintaining country tracks . I'm stoked because one else has been able to give me those figures no matter how many times i ask the question , so if you could post them i would be very grateful . It would help balance the on going debate .

16 minutes ago, nomates said:

So i can assume you have been able to access the figures from somewhere to substantiate the first statement regarding the cost of maintaining country tracks . I'm stoked because one else has been able to give me those figures no matter how many times i ask the question , so if you could post them i would be very grateful . It would help balance the on going debate .

He can't nomates but if you are serious PM me and I will send them to you

Suffice to say that the rent they receive virtually covers all day to day maintenance

Mikie

No Nomates, I have not been in receipt of them, however I was a member of several country clubs some years ago and i do know that in those times at least the vast majority were operating at a loss. Without applications to the amenities funds their facilities would have been a shambles. I was at Geraldine some months back and public facilities were non existant. There needs to be a minimum standard for Clubs to hold race meeting these days and if its not there then they shouldn't be allocated permits

9 minutes ago, Stables said:

No Nomates, I have not been in receipt of them, however I was a member of several country clubs some years ago and i do know that in those times at least the vast majority were operating at a loss. Without applications to the amenities funds their facilities would have been a shambles. I was at Geraldine some months back and public facilities were non existant. There needs to be a minimum standard for Clubs to hold race meeting these days and if its not there then they shouldn't be allocated permits

You are now having 2 pokes at it, squirming a bit really

You were always of the opinion Country Clubs should go because of the travel, the funding of their racedays and their maintenance costs

It has now been pointed out to you that they receive less than they generate partly because of the Stakes Subsidy Scheme

The travel is a nonsense even to Palmy as no one has to go given the number of meetings up North. You did say that they catered for a different type of horse so that's why people went there. Well if that's the case they are filling a need and people are choosing to go, not forced to

The Industry doesn't pay for Manawatu's maintenance costs

Manawatu's facilities for the public are fine, a glassed in lounge overlooking the Track

In any case why would any Club need any facilities at all when ON course T/O at ATC is $7000?

Mikie

32 minutes ago, Stables said:

There needs to be a minimum standard for Clubs to hold race meeting these days and if its not there then they shouldn't be allocated permits

I posted this yesterday .

This all could have been managed a lot more professionally and still can . I favour all raceday venue tracks being given a set of KPI's that they must maintain to remain a viable . No if's or but's , no maybe's , you fail to fulfill the brief your gone . Obviously some of the KPI's would be the obvious such as track standard , turnovers and facilities . What all the KPI's would be is for others to decide , but , they must cover all tracks , no discrimination . My only worry there is , having seen the state of some tracks of our bigger clubs since resumption , would they be up to standard . I'm sure others have ideas that could solve these issues , but simply putting a gun to a clubs head isn't the solve .

34 minutes ago, Stables said:

No Nomates, I have not been in receipt of them, however I was a member of several country clubs some years ago and i do know that in those times at least the vast majority were operating at a loss. Without applications to the amenities funds their facilities would have been a shambles. I was at Geraldine some months back and public facilities were non existant

If these clubs are choosing to operate this way it is not good . But as i keep saying the amount that these clubs may have been accessing through the amenities fund were never enough to " suck the industry dry " as is continually dished up for racings current shite financial position . Our current shite financial position is due in a large extent to many very poor thought out strategic projects and business decisions , made by people whose grandiose ideas were massively above their ability to deliver .

11 hours ago, Stables said:

Mike the on course turnovers at Auckland are dismal and may reflect the night they are racing on, the quality of the horses and the time of the year

But it’s not just ATC with crap On course T/O’s Stables

Mikie

Mikie, can you please confirm that one night's on course turnover at the country's premier harness racing club was $7000.

That is phenomenal.  I have seen a pub bookie turn over that much in one afternoon, and he did not need a $47,000,000 computer system.

9 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Mikie, can you please confirm that one night's on course turnover at the country's premier harness racing club was $7000.

That is phenomenal.  I have seen a pub bookie turn over that much in one afternoon, and he did not need a $47,000,000 computer system.

That is the correct On course T/O

The TAB onsite also had sales, but they are not included in On course T/O figures

Mikie

2 hours ago, Stables said:

Not quite real then Mike, no doubt it would have been more convenient for most to bet with the TAB, not to mention the large number of punters that would have used their cellphones

No Stables, I think it is very 'real'

You are comparing Oncourse T'O's now with On course T/O's of a year ago

Both excluded the TAB room so a year to year comparison is perfectly valid

Mikie

21 hours ago, Stables said:

Mike the on course turnovers at Auckland are dismal and may reflect the night they are racing on, the quality of the horses and the time of the year

I don't think anyone expects the ATC to do Cup Day turnovers in July, but surely in a market the size of AUCK they could do better than a small TAB in Invercargill might expect to do on an average Saturday afternoon.

3 hours ago, Mikie said:

No Stables, I think it is very 'real'

You are comparing Oncourse T'O's now with On course T/O's of a year ago

Both excluded the TAB room so a year to year comparison is perfectly valid

Mikie

Rubbish !

Due to the cut-backs in tote staff ,there were considerably less options of places to bet at on that particular night !

Sure the crowd was small , but the 3 x windows in the on-site TAB were very steady that night.....deeper lines than normal.

And the few TAB staff were basically in the one area whereas in the past they were in a minimum of 4 areas plus the 'dinner' areas if they were open .