RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Race meeting order in the Racebook

Just a question for all race goers out there.
On Saturday at Ellerslie all the races were carded one after the other in the racebook, and all other meetings were put in the back of the book.

I for one and my friends and owners I had with me with me prefer to have the racebook order in race sequence, as in whatever race comes up next is there when you turn the page.

Saturday being Riccarton, Ellerslie, Rosehill, Caulfield etc....

Just interested in your thoughts......

totally agree chris ,it has always been in next race/venue order

easy to just turn page ,and not have to fumble around to find each venue ...us punters just get kicked again...it may seem trivial  to some but its  not ,its just another example of not knowing the product

just so sad that we are witnessing the utter destruction of a once fantastic industry ,and more so for you  ,it being your lifes work

cheers

Different likes and preferences for different people Chris. I personally like the meeting by meeting as easier to find a specific race for a specific meeting like the "olden days" of the Turf Digest and Best Bets whereas yes on course books have all races/meetings carded in chronological order.

57 minutes ago, Stables said:

Yes you're right Voice Of Reason, it is trivial

Agree. But for me if I'm on course and using a racebook, I'd far rather have the races for that meeting there in consecutive order up front and not cluttered up by various other meetings around Australasia. Stick those at the back if you want to. I say good move by Ellerslie.

24 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Agree. But for me if I'm on course and using a racebook, I'd far rather have the races for that meeting there in consecutive order up front and not cluttered up by various other meetings around Australasia. Stick those at the back if you want to. I say good move by Ellerslie.

For example on Derby Day would you want to constantly flick through races from Dustbowl Downs or Mudville Park .

Have a dollar each way, print the full form meeting by meeting, and print a brief guide( names and numbers, not much else) in chronological order.This would only takehalf a page per meeting, the 3 main meets from oz and 2 or 3 from nz could be done on 4 sides of paper.Trackside tv used to list races in order on their programming guide so it is / was important enough in the past.

3 hours ago, Red Rum said:

It's a racebook as a guide for that meeting runners , colours , breeding and brief form plus adverts for sponsors   , not a full  weekend formguide for everywhere . No one  can do the form seriously from a race meeting race book for 5 bucks .

5 Bucks !!!!!

Saturday's book was only $3 bucks  !...free to Members !

Fantastic it was too......attendees on the day go to see the 'live racing' so don't want to be at Ellerslie and see a field from Gawler , America or even Caulfield ,when they turn a page!

Great to have the meetings at back of book [no America] with the Aussie racing showing quite a few facts,figures and colours.

The Riccarton races had that plus a comment on most horses.

As to the main purpose of the book Ellerslie ,it had a map of course facilities , plus all food options ,plus a guide to betting ,how to do it plus cost and percentages.

It had a list of Jockeys and their mounts ,ditto trainers.

It had a summary of all fields at front of book with pool options to bet into it.

It had a speed map for 7 races.

And it had picks , as well as comments on all horses ..and stats for last 3 starts including trials.!

Anyone who took note of picks ,consulted with MGuerins editorial in Herald and Teds tips on BGP ,would have done very well.....as many did !

I've read hundreds of complaints in recent years re the track ,the coffee ,the choice of beer , the choice of champagne ,the loud music ,the commentator , too crowded, too empty ,too many young ones , too many old buggers,the suits ,the white coats , the JCA , the jockeys , the security , the marketing , the signage,the ticket sellers, the SST etc etc,

But this is a first.......the race book !

I doubt if there is a better one anywhere !

4 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

5 Bucks !!!!!

Saturday's book was only $3 bucks  !...free to Members !

Fantastic it was too......attendees on the day go to see the 'live racing' so don't want to be at Ellerslie and see a field from Gawler , America or even Caulfield ,when they turn a page!

Great to have the meetings at back of book [no America] with the Aussie racing showing quite a few facts,figures and colours.

The Riccarton races had that plus a comment on most horses.

As to the main purpose of the book Ellerslie ,it had a map of course facilities , plus all food options ,plus a guide to betting ,how to do it plus cost and percentages.

It had a list of Jockeys and their mounts ,ditto trainers.

It had a summary of all fields at front of book with pool options to bet into it.

It had a speed map for 7 races.

And it had picks , as well as comments on all horses ..and stats for last 3 starts including trials.!

Anyone who took note of picks ,consulted with MGuerins editorial in Herald and Teds tips on BGP ,would have done very well.....as many did !

I've read hundreds of complaints in recent years re the track ,the coffee ,the choice of beer , the choice of champagne ,the loud music ,the commentator , too crowded, too empty ,too many young ones , too many old buggers,the suits ,the white coats , the JCA , the jockeys , the security , the marketing , the signage,the ticket sellers, the SST etc etc,

But this is a first.......the race book !

I doubt if there is a better one anywhere !

Good to hear , blimey I would have happily paid 5 bucks but 3 is better .I must have a racebook/racecard  when on course  so good on them doing a good one .IMHO anything above the basic is the cream on top .

Sounds like it was a great book alright Tasman man. 

I agree with your thoughts on everybody grizzling about something, but I do like the book to go say ellerslie, Randwick, riccarton etc as the day goes on. Dustville, USA etc not needed for me and every page costs money to print. 

IMHO and experience the club person in charge of the book has control over book size, layout, how much form content and from where, ad placement, and these ads are usually complimentary with race sponsorship, etc. 

Whoever organised this book, well done. 

As we have seen recently with the newspaper form etc disappearing a good race book is a must for most people to bet with. The tab appears to think we will go on a website and print it ourselves, no thanks, and as a cost cutting idea some books are showing only the meeting at that track. 

Probably not that difficult to print both formats but then people would grizzle that the one they wanted was sold out🤔