RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

tracks that had no support from harness chiefs

Some clubs eg. Forbury ,Hawera that had no support(even oppn. to keep hr.)  , from Harness racing for continuation, in my opinion should issue a trespass notice to the Board and ceo .This would cause embarrassing publicity. and may make them think regarding who they represent.If any club takes it up ,I will certainly ensure the News channels all follow it up. 

4 hours ago, john legend said:

Some clubs eg. Forbury ,Hawera that had no support(even oppn. to keep hr.)  , from Harness racing for continuation, in my opinion should issue a trespass notice to the Board and ceo .This would cause embarrassing publicity. and may make them think regarding who they represent.If any club takes it up ,I will certainly ensure the News channels all follow it up. 

Im hearing you and there is now growing disenchantment with running and governance at HRNZ. How Spicer can stay on is getting beyond a joke. No wonder the game is going so poorly with amateurs running the show and a part time CEO all appointed by "you know who"

This board is totally out of control. But we keep sitting on our hands and watching

Clubs need to act now and send them a clear message. What is happening in Southland is nothing short of criminal. 2 Clubs that clearly out performed the other 2 stopped from racing on their home courses. 

4 are voted on , 2 are direct appointments and 2 are head-hunted (and I use that term loosely, they can't have been picked for their knowledge)

Now 1 of the latter 2 appointments is now the CEO on full pay plus travel and accomodation (and I bet meals as well) fronting up for less than 2 days a week

If HRNZ is paying meals then why? Man has to eat wherever he is so why should HRNZ pay?

Why should HRNZ pay travel and accomodation? Appointee's choice to reside outside of Christchurch

Mikie

How could the board agree to this, what are this guys skills? What has he brought to Harness Racing? I understood it was an interim appointment, why are they not actively seeking a replacement?

How are the Committees of Harness Racing Clubs not calling for a Special general Meeting so that the Board of HRNZ are made to explain their decisions? Does anybody actually give a Damn?

Is there a HRNZ Conference this year. If so, WHERE?, WHEN?. Those that see that the CEO and Board etc need to go should attend the AGM and make their concerns and opinions known. I am sure that this would cause a STIR.

14 hours ago, dkc said:

What is happening in Southland is nothing short of criminal. 2 Clubs that clearly out performed the other 2 stopped from racing on their home courses. 

Some are calling it the" McNaught" effect😘

13 hours ago, Stables said:

How could the board agree to this, what are this guys skills? What has he brought to Harness Racing? I understood it was an interim appointment, why are they not actively seeking a replacement?

How are the Committees of Harness Racing Clubs not calling for a Special general Meeting so that the Board of HRNZ are made to explain their decisions? Does anybody actually give a Damn?

As i have repeatedly said Stables, its an Amateur run organisation IMHO. Spicer seems to be the root of most issues for his selection processes for CEO appear woeful at best.To get the least amount of votes yet be made Chairman suggests nobody wanted the chair job or has someone else got the answer to that perplexing outcome

Greg

Unfortunately while it is the clubs that vote for the executive those in the clubs who decide who to vote for are the clubs own  executives and not the club members.     In today's electronic age surely the clubs should circularise their members to see who the members want to be on the board and vote accordingly.     But of course that would be against the rules of the breakfast club wouldn't it.     Perhaps members should query their boards on this matter at their club's next AGM.

4 hours ago, eljay said:

Unfortunately while it is the clubs that vote for the executive those in the clubs who decide who to vote for are the clubs own  executives and not the club members.     In today's electronic age surely the clubs should circularise their members to see who the members want to be on the board and vote accordingly.     But of course that would be against the rules of the breakfast club wouldn't it.     Perhaps members should query their boards on this matter at their club's next AGM.

Where do you want to stop Eljay?

An electronic vote on the price of the sausage rolls?

An electronic vote on whether to mow the carpark this week or next?

Whilst there may be issues, and there may be problems, the Club Members elect a Club Committee that makes decisions, and if after a year they don't agree with their decisions they can vote a new Committee in

If you want a say, stand for your Club's Committee

Gregory Paul's post above yours makes more sence

Mikie

2 hours ago, Stables said:

Now Mike, you know damn well that most Club Committee menbers are selected by the incumbents and very rarely are required to face a ballot by members of the club

No Stables, I do not know that.

The incumbents at a Club can only 'pick' others to be co-opted on the Committee if not enough Members put up their hands for election

Granted that the need to have an election has lessoned heaps over recent years as people do not want to serve on Committees, but that should just make it easier for Eljay to get on, won't it?

Mikie

6 hours ago, Mikie said:

No Stables, I do not know that.

The incumbents at a Club can only 'pick' others to be co-opted on the Committee if not enough Members put up their hands for election

Granted that the need to have an election has lessoned heaps over recent years as people do not want to serve on Committees, but that should just make it easier for Eljay to get on, won't it?

Mikie

Some Clubs , including Eljay's have modernised their constitution in recent years and are now governed by a Board of Directors [between 3and 5 elected by Club members] and up to 3 x Independents who are chosen by Board.

The Board not the members chose the Chairman and vice-chair.Directors are elected for a 3 yr term ,with rules in pace to prevent a 'position for life'.

The reasoning for all this is that a racing club now deals with complicated issues ,encompassing many aspects other than Horse racing and the relevant skill set is there to manage things and not risk the Clubs assets etc and to grow and sustain the Club.

Things like expertise in Development and Apartment building and selling and various legal and compliance issues !

This attracts highly skiful and qualified people and various Industry stalwarts among members back them up and if more votes needed then family members join the club for more voting muscle !

AS a result a battling or maverick member would struggle to be voted on ,as there are many passionate members who love the Club and been members a long time.Most don't make any discontent  apparent at the AGM !

In saying that Eljay would get invited on to sub-committees to perform some tasks ...at times !...and he has !

Smaller clubs would struggle to fill a committee at times especially those who face their busiest time of year around Xmas /New Year when most people relaxing.

Some would struggle to get a quorum at their AGM....not Eljays club , they enjoy a Buffet meal and drinks after their AGM.

Maybe I should stand for the Club Committee Mike but at my age I really don't want a poisoned chalice.        Yes Stables you are right - most of the positions on both Club and National Boards are elected unapposed after being "selected" by the incumbents to fill any vacancies that occur and I am sure Mike is well aware of this.    

I'll stop at the lawn surrounding the car park thank you!

Tasman - I am a member of 2 clubs, not one!!      I have not served on any sub-committees at either.     But back in the "good old days" I did help with tasks on an unpaid, voluntary basis.    You know, those days when money was not a requirement for knowledge.

12 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Some Clubs , including Eljay's have modernised their constitution in recent years and are now governed by a Board of Directors [between 3and 5 elected by Club members] and up to 3 x Independents who are chosen by Board.

The Board not the members chose the Chairman and vice-chair.Directors are elected for a 3 yr term ,with rules in pace to prevent a 'position for life'.

The reasoning for all this is that a racing club now deals with complicated issues ,encompassing many aspects other than Horse racing and the relevant skill set is there to manage things and not risk the Clubs assets etc and to grow and sustain the Club.

That’s worked brilliantly at ATC 

Mikie

3 hours ago, eljay said:

Maybe I should stand for the Club Committee Mike but at my age I really don't want a poisoned chalice.        Yes Stables you are right - most of the positions on both Club and National Boards are elected unapposed after being "selected" by the incumbents to fill any vacancies that occur and I am sure Mike is well aware of this.    

I'll stop at the lawn surrounding the car park thank you!

I think half the posts on here are going over your head Eljay

Please read my posts, I asked about where you thought the Conmittees decision making should stop, and I suggested you could stand for Committee if you wanted

You have aid your don’t want to do let’s go back to the decision making. Your suggestion was that Committees should have a Membets electronic vote, I asked where do you want to draw the line?

Mikie

I dont think you read my post either!    I was only talking about the representatives voted on to the "Conference".   It was you that brought up (and you probably did too) Sausage Rolls.     But I wont say any more as you would only twist that too.      

2 hours ago, eljay said:

I dont think you read my post either!    I was only talking about the representatives voted on to the "Conference".   It was you that brought up (and you probably did too) Sausage Rolls.     But I wont say any more as you would only twist that too.      

I know what you suggested Eljay

I just wondered where you wanted to draw the line?

You have answered, you just want one electronic vote. Now all you have to do is put it up as a Rule change at your Clubs AGM

Go for it

I’ll even help you out

The are you need to change is the one that relates to the Committee or Board powers.

You need it to read “The Committee shall have the power to make decisions, invest monies etc etc and you need to add “except in the case of voting for representatives on HRNZ where the Committee may not make any determination on its own, but is required to instead conduct an electronic vote of all Members” and the Rule then carries on

You’ll have my vote Eljay

Mikie

Racing was all about a day out having a bet. So many great day outs now its boring Addington Aucklandetc. Remember the tracks like AMBERLY,MANDERVILLE,HORARATA,PLEASANT POINT, RANGIORA,CHERTSEY,SEFTON,SPOTSWOOD, TIMARU,HURUNUI,GREYMOUTH TC,WAIMATE,KUROW, the list goes on. They were the tracks that created interest and gave one someting to lookforward to. Great days out ,huge fields and on and on😎.

Now we have empty stands ,some owners and a few trainers. 

25 minutes ago, Keneperu said:

Racing was all about a day out having a bet. So many great day outs now its boring Addington Aucklandetc. Remember the tracks like AMBERLY,MANDERVILLE,HORARATA,PLEASANT POINT, RANGIORA,CHERTSEY,SEFTON,SPOTSWOOD, TIMARU,HURUNUI,GREYMOUTH TC,WAIMATE,KUROW, the list goes on. They were the tracks that created interest and gave one someting to lookforward to. Great days out ,huge fields and on and on😎.

Now we have empty stands ,some owners and a few trainers. 

I understand where you are coming from

I do understand that there are cost savings by racing at Addington do much, and I know it’s a great track, but if a compulsive punter like myself is already bored and already doesn’t watch on TV I wonder if this progress is sustainable

A lack of interest now would seem to be a major worry in, say, 3 years time

The same thing happened to Rugby in a way. I remember having to go to the Pub to watch Rugby, then we all got Sky and watched at home. I watched every game that year, even the ones on at 3am. Fast forward a few years and after overkill I just watched the local NZ derbies

If the local races are on twice a year you’d go to the track. If they are on 75 days a year you wouldn’t go, would you?

Mikie

Agree Mikie but the sport is slowly dieing a painful death.

There is so much else on now and trackside tv means you dont have to go. The small trainers who were the lifeblood of the sport are being squeezed out by the big money trainers and what with the drug cheats around its not good.

Horse nos are down big time. Sorry I won't go on any more and i havent got the answer but the closing of a lot of tracks for centralization whilst great for local trainers  not having to travel has taken away what a lot of race fans loved doing on a Saturday  or Sunday. 

I think it's more the quality of a lot of the racing at the moment Mike. Wait till the better horses start back racing, I'm sure during and after the cup meeting your interest will be piqued