RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Baz (NZ)

WAIKATO STUD - STRANGLES

I realise Waikato Stud announced on Gavelhouse Plus in early July that their NZ Bloodstock Weanling Sale draft had positive tests for the infectious equine disease Strangles. :o
I also noted all Waikato Stud stock that were offered for sale on Gavelhouse.com in the months prior had no such announcement ?
My question is...How long have Waikato Stud had this contagious disease on their farm?
I have since been made aware a property in Levin is in lockdown due to a confirmed case of Strangles after purchasing a weanling colt off Gavelhouse.com from Waikato Stud that got delivered on June 2. :blink:
The young horse in question was showing symptoms of an illness at Waikato Stud (Snotty Nose. Swollen Glands etc) and was checked and cleared by a Northern Veterinarian before departure to the Levin property. :o
Who is accountable for the huge costs inflicted on these poor people as a result of this oversight, incompetence or whatever you wish to call it from a major NZ breeding establishment like Waikato Stud ?
It seems inconceivable this disease can go undetected from a so-called professional outfit? Particularly when the horse showed clear symptoms! :rolleyes:

There is another horse on a different property that has also come from the Waikato that has had clinical signs consistent with Strangles.
I fear their maybe more cases out there gone undetected or swept under the carpet as many do when confronted with something like this on their own doorstep. :unsure:
As a result of this LEVIN RACING CLUB has cancelled it's JUMPOUTS scheduled for July 15 :(
PLEASE NOTE: TRAINERS & HORSE OWNERS IN THE LEVIN REGION to stay vigilant and get your horses tested by a local Veterinarian!

Screenshot_2020-07-08 Lot 13 Unnamed - Tivaci Miss Lioness.png

I believe the other horse or it's pony stable mate from the different property was actually at the track?  Is that true? :unsure:
How many other undetected sick horse's were sold by Waikato Stud and put on trucks over the last few months and dispersed all over NZ ?
I feel sorry for the little stable that has incurred the massive vet bills...loss of income and the owners who's racehorses are back in lockdown again after Covid-19 through no fault of their own ! :(

12 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

I believe the other horse or it's pony stable mate from the different property was actually at the track?  Is that true? :unsure:
How many other undetected sick horse's were sold by Waikato Stud and put on trucks over the last few months and dispersed all over NZ ?
I feel sorry for the little stable that has incurred the massive vet bills...loss of income and the owners who's racehorses are back in lockdown again after Covid-19 through no fault of their own ! :(

Yea said something about their tie ups , like is said not a good look .

Yes it was mentioned that some of their draft had tested positive for strangles on Gavalhouse Plus prior to the NZB Weanling Sale in July. However horses were sold on Gavalhouse months beforehand with no mention of this virus. I believe Waikato Stud may have had this for sometime? As the Weanling with strangles transported to Levin was in June.