RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dingle

Ascot Park V's Phar Lap

The weather Gods are not playing the ball with regards to the amount of rain fallen in the south lately.

Am not sure Ascot park will be a goer based on past wet seasons. Their track has been bottomless in the past.

The trouble is, noms and withdrawals for Ascot and Timaru are both on the same days, for Friday ,Ascot and Sunday Timaru

So what is one to do ??? Nom for both meetings and have quite a few scratchings at one or both places or take a punt that Ascot wont go ahead and nom for Timaru only?

I guess its nice to have choices...The next meeting without traveling 7hours or so, is not until the 7th Aug at Wingatui.

Whoever decided that Ascot was a safe bet in July must be from Aussie.

If anyone in Invercargill could make a call early would be great but I dont hold out for that happening.. Just know that what you got right now isnt going to change much in a week.

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone else noted ascot park in july,never raced in july before,well I haven't heard of it ,I reckon its 50 50 if they do next week.in many ways another mind boggling idea to come out of officialdom,the irony is a all weather track in the south somewhere would be a good idea,it works for harness would be a great idea perhaps for the south but where would you have it? Strange irony is there are 2 perfectly fine trotting tracks people in high places want closed ,what next?

Wingatui early august ,Gore 2 weeks later and another Wingatui early September,it will be interesting to see how these days go if they do at all.Just one other thing to add,the East Coast of the S Island is generally a dryish climate but seems to be if a race meeting is on in winter it's usually around the same time they get that east rain,seems it ain't easy to win at this game.

49 minutes ago, Dingle said:

The weather Gods are not playing the ball with regards to the amount of rain fallen in the south lately.

Am not sure Ascot park will be a goer based on past wet seasons. Their track has been bottomless in the past.

The trouble is, noms and withdrawals for Ascot and Timaru are both on the same days, for Friday ,Ascot and Sunday Timaru

So what is one to do ??? Nom for both meetings and have quite a few scratchings at one or both places or take a punt that Ascot wont go ahead and nom for Timaru only?

I guess its nice to have choices...The next meeting without traveling 7hours or so, is not until the 7th Aug at Wingatui.

Whoever decided that Ascot was a safe bet in July must be from Aussie.

If anyone in Invercargill could make a call early would be great but I dont hold out for that happening.. Just know that what you got right now isnt going to change much in a week.

Trying to reinvent the wheel trying to put a race meeting on at Ascot Park during winter , 90% of the horses i reckon will have to travel hours as you say , and why would you when you have Ricc and Timaru . Oamaru has been the go to track for winter racing in the lower South Island for years , for a reason , but no , their going to try and get a round peg into a square hole . This just sums up the whole illogical thought processes used by our esteemed leaders .

Strange irony there to Mesara,excuse spelling wanted Oamaru and Timaru shut but not Waikouaiti which strangely is very tidal,if they want really good going for racing why not Shift all the racing to Nelson,good weather there

1 minute ago, We're Doomed said:

Just too stupid for words really. As I may have mentioned previously SI racing is run by fools, and by people who have never set foot on some of the tracks.

Yet in reality there are often good sized fields through the whole card from maidens to the main races,some of the southerners must be dedicated having to spend 3 or 4 months on the road, Riverton are scheduled for new years day instead of Waikouaiti,who in reality have for the last few years been short on numbers on that date but they still have a day two weeks later at Wingatui,in reality no horses from Southland went to Waikouaiti and Omakau only had 6 races last January,is Riverton a good change as in New Years day maybe maybe not,in the peak of summer Southland don't do too bad for numbers,only time will tell I guess.

8 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Just too stupid for words really. As I may have mentioned previously SI racing is run by fools, and by people who have never set foot on some of the tracks.

Maybe the decisions ain't made by mainlanders,might be made by people in other places.

25 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Yet in reality there are often good sized fields through the whole card from maidens to the main races,some of the southerners must be dedicated having to spend 3 or 4 months on the road, Riverton are scheduled for new years day instead of Waikouaiti,who in reality have for the last few years been short on numbers on that date but they still have a day two weeks later at Wingatui,in reality no horses from Southland went to Waikouaiti and Omakau only had 6 races last January,is Riverton a good change as in New Years day maybe maybe not,in the peak of summer Southland don't do too bad for numbers,only time will tell I guess.

Riverton should not be racing on New Years Day. That meeting should be at Timaru. Timaru should have their Cup with decent supporting stakes, so the Boxing Day horses from Wingatui have a sensible progression of races. As it is there is no feature meeting in the greater Canterbury area for over two months in the middle of summer. That is just too stupid for words by anyone's standards. Just another example of NZTR not having any idea how SI racing should work, and no one in the South standing up for the place.

9 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Riverton should not be racing on New Years Day. That meeting should be at Timaru. Timaru should have their Cup with decent supporting stakes, so the Boxing Day horses from Wingatui have a sensible progression of races. As it is there is no feature meeting in the greater Canterbury area for over two months in the middle of summer. That is just too stupid for words by anyone's standards. Just another example of NZTR not having any idea how SI racing should work, and no one in the South standing up for the place.

How do you know anybody knows how NI racing works , The programming up here is no better at times .

26 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Another way of looking at things is if you have no West Coast circuit then plenty of room after new year for Canterbury,then if Riverton ain't on jan 1 and no Omakau on jan 3 then no races fir southerners for a long time,there are no simple answers here it does seem though that by the time Waikouaiti came around horse numbers had declined mostly it seemed but the Southern trainers didn't really go there anyway.

23 minutes ago, nomates said:

How do you know anybody knows how NI racing works , The programming up here is no better at times .

Yes, true Nomates. I do find it very frustrating. And not really a difficult or costly subject. I wish they would look at how Sydney and Melbourne programme races sometimes. Perhaps our leaders need to start attending some overseas conferences to get a few ideas.

It's hard to believe in these days that Wyndham & Waikouaiti once  both raced Jan 1 then a week later Oamakai raced 2 days at same time West Coast raced,so Canterbury have always missed a lot of racing in January.

4 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, true Nomates. I do find it very frustrating. And not really a difficult or costly subject. I wish they would look at how Sydney and Melbourne programme races sometimes. Perhaps our leaders need to start attending some overseas conferences to get a few ideas.

Be interesting to see what shape Melbourne racing is gunna be like with covid19 there,anyone's guess at present.

The trimmed down trakside coverage during the lockdown was their way of trimming cost just like here,at the time I thought under the situation at the time  that was ok but I have to say that while I used to watch trackside a lot ,mainly later in the day I hardly watch it at all.some of the cuts  they made here and some of the people who have been moved on kinda soured my interest,anytime I'm flicking through chanels and land on trakside more than likely its greyhound from oz so I don't stay.i can tolerate watching through nz greys even though I don't like them but all the stuff from oz  it's just too uninteresting to me .

21 hours ago, nomates said:

You never know maybe they will have to condense them .

Well this is not going to happen , well done to all the trainers and owners that are supporting this meeting , enough nom's to run 10 races , good luck to all and have a great day .

Must be having a great winter down there , track only H10 .

On 7/14/2020 at 1:48 PM, nomates said:

Well this is not going to happen , well done to all the trainers and owners that are supporting this meeting , enough nom's to run 10 races , good luck to all and have a great day .

Must be having a great winter down there , track only H10 .

After Ascot Park in a couple of weeks there is wingatui 2 weeks after that Gore two weeks after that wingatui again,there seems to be enough numbers at present,the weather is the biggest issue at this time of year.its probably fair to say the southern area could do with a few extra meetings to fill in a few gaps.