RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tony

Not from an episode of Faulty Towers

An owner with a horse in races 2 and 4 goes to the races. They have had an email saying that they could collect 2 complimentary drinks tickets per horse on the day. The owner watches both horses and is chatting with people having a great time. After race 5 they decide to go and collect their complimentary drinks tickets and are asked " and what races are your horses in". The owner replys "oh they were in race 2 and race 4"  That's when the person in charge of handing out the complimentary tickets says "I'm sorry but those tickets are no longer available because those races have been"  

Yes this actually happened at Awapuni on Saturday. This is taking penny pinching to the extreme. 

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

An owner with a horse in races 2 and 4 goes to the races. They have had an email saying that they could collect 2 complimentary drinks tickets per horse on the day. The owner watches both horses and is chatting with people having a great time. After race 5 they decide to go and collect their complimentary drinks tickets and are asked " and what races are your horses in". The owner replys "oh they were in race 2 and race 4"  That's when the person in charge of handing out the complimentary tickets says "I'm sorry but those tickets are no longer available because those races have been"  

Yes this actually happened at Awapuni on Saturday. This is taking penny pinching to the extreme. 

See why you train out of Foxton these days but did see write up about the stable treble on home track Awapuni even if you go in  after your race the race has been, just dumb public relations with your customers

5 minutes ago, Crow said:

See why you train out of Foxton these days but did see write up about the stable treble on home track Awapuni even if you go in  after your race the race has been, just dumb public relations with your customers

Just effing unbelievable in this current climate . Not just dumb public relations for your owners but complete disrespect to all owners . It comes across as miserly . When as an industry we are struggling to keep existing owners and trying to attract new ones , they should be falling over themselves to look after owners , not try and save a few bucks .

So i am assuming owners of horses in the first to races , run before lunch were expected to start drinking before lunchtime .

Without owners there is no horse racing .

33 minutes ago, nomates said:

Just effing unbelievable in this current climate . Not just dumb public relations for your owners but complete disrespect to all owners . It comes across as miserly . When as an industry we are struggling to keep existing owners and trying to attract new ones , they should be falling over themselves to look after owners , not try and save a few bucks .

So i am assuming owners of horses in the first to races , run before lunch were expected to start drinking before lunchtime .

Without owners there is no horse racing .

I totally agree and normally the Industry does do it well. Even the winners get a free drink afterwards but if it was Trotting there is no free drinks for pre drinks not sure about afterwards and they still get a lot of people involved in horses. As I said I do agree and if there is no owners there is no racing.

23 minutes ago, army said:

I totally agree and normally the Industry does do it well. Even the winners get a free drink afterwards but if it was Trotting there is no free drinks for pre drinks not sure about afterwards and they still get a lot of people involved in horses. As I said I do agree and if there is no owners there is no racing.

At the levin or Otaki races the owners bar was accessible all day . Haven't been for a while so might have changed .

We have raced at Awapuni twice in the last couple of years and will not go back, very unwelcoming atmosphere, found staff very difficult to get drink tickets or information (and horse had difficulties both times)

Happens at a lot of tracks in my experience, once again the problem is because you have people running an industry that don't really understand how it operates. A lot of people in this racing game do horses themselves and after they have raced win,lose or draw they have to take care of the needs of the animal and don't get the opportunity to go and have a refreshment straight away and are then met with this kind of nonsense.

They really only seem to be setup for the syndicates who only race the horse. I have found most country clubs to be very good and one of the worst in my opinion at this type of behaviour is Trentham which is usually a very average experience for such a wonderful track.

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

Happens at a lot of tracks in my experience, once again the problem is because you have people running an industry that don't really understand how it operates. A lot of people in this racing game do horses themselves and after they have raced win,lose or draw they have to take care of the needs of the animal and don't get the opportunity to go and have a refreshment straight away and are then met with this kind of nonsense.

They really only seem to be setup for the syndicates who only race the horse. I have found most country clubs to be very good and one of the worst in my opinion at this type of behaviour is Trentham which is usually a very average experience for such a wonderful track.

Waverley does a fantastic job , plenty to eat and drink in their owners room . Stratford at their new years eve meeting used to have free steak sarnies going most of the day for all the stable hands and trainers , looking after the workers at a busy time of year .. 

47 minutes ago, nomates said:

Waverley does a fantastic job , plenty to eat and drink in their owners room . Stratford at their new years eve meeting used to have free steak sarnies going most of the day for all the stable hands and trainers , looking after the workers at a busy time of year .. 

Those smaller clubs used to waste far too much money encouraging owners and trainers. Much better their courses get sold up and the money given to the metropolitan clubs who know how to run a slick operation without encouraging excess drinking and fraternizing.

6 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Those smaller clubs used to waste far too much money encouraging owners and trainers. Much better their courses get sold up and the money given to the metropolitan clubs who know how to run a slick operation without encouraging excess drinking and fraternizing.

Don't have to work too hard keeping excess drinking and fraternizing down when there is bugger all patrons on course most of the time . The smaller clubs as a rule get good on course patronage , but the spoiler police can't see it with their tinfoil hats on .

2 hours ago, army said:

What rubbish about Trotting

You either have no idea or by a remarkable coincidence you are speaking about the 5 (odd) tracks I have never been to

Mikie

1 hour ago, Shad said:

At riccarton you go to the owners bar for your drink while you watch the horses in the parade ring, bar closes when the horses leave, quite a good concept I thought 

Not if you are an owner-trainer and you are leading up the horse at that point.

To be fair, I have been in similar situations,  and have popped in later in the day.  Explained that I was tied up and unable to be there for that race, and have been treated very hospitably.

A good concept,   but the room is small, and when syndicates are involved,  rather awkward. 

Found it a bit odd to be given a drinks voucher with a race number on it, but it stayed in my pocket when I had a beer on the club after our race anyway. 
I guess it comes as a result of too many free loaders getting drinks without having a horse racing.

I’m sure the club would have been happy to provide a drink later in the day to any owner who has missed being there at the “correct” time.

4 hours ago, Huey said:

I find your comments re Trentham a bit strange Huey.

There is a large hospitality room in the birdcage where all owners are invited in to have a drink (and food) following the race. Makes for good atmosphere when presenting to winning connections also.

No problems at Te Rapa last Saturday for pre race drinks for owners. You received a slip of paper with the race number of your horse(s) written on it. It was clear you had to present that voucher before the race and not after. I had shares in two starters and received four vouchers. Happy owners before each race.

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

What rubbish about Trotting

You either have no idea or by a remarkable coincidence you are speaking about the 5 (odd) tracks I have never been to

Mikie

All I know is that I am involved in Te Aroha racecourse and actually sort out the bars. We have a pre drinks area and owners get a free drink. The trots were at Te Aroha and they were asked if they wanted to do pre drinks there response was that they dint normally do it but they would try the more drinks. Perhaps I made a mistake to presume that that was the case at all trotting meetings. My bad I shouldnt presume should I. 

2 hours ago, critter said:

Army do Harness owners pay starting and drivers fees in general. They may even get payed to start there horse.

Well to tell the truth I am a thoroughbred person but have good friends that are trotting people and yes as far as I understand they get paid to start. Dont quote me on that though

I think Wellingtons policy now is that if you own a horse on your own you get 2 race books and 2 owners ribbons which gets you in the members stand and after your race entry into the owners presentation room for a free drink and sandwich.If your one of ten owners each of you gets 2 race books and 2 owners ribbons, so 20 people into the members stand and presentation room. One owner is paying a fortune to race a horse.Ten owners each pay a lot less .No wonder syndicates are flourishing.Is it a deliberate bias? not sure,,,