RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
departed

New season stakes

It is a little over 3 weeks until the new season commences and still on the NZTR site there is no stakesmoney shown for the racemeetings carded.  How long is it going to take?  Or are  horses really going to be racing for $0?

They said the end of the month.

We do have this though.

Meeting News

Three New July Meetings Added

Three additional meetings for July 2020 have been added to the calendar. These meetings will be held at Phar Lap Raceway, Timaru on Sunday 19 July, Avondale on Wednesday 22 July and Hawke’s Bay on Wednesday 29 July. All races will be run for $15,000 as per the July policy. Programmes for these meetings will be finalised in the next 24 hours and distributed to stake-holders.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

They said the end of the month.

We do have this though.

Meeting News

Three New July Meetings Added

Three additional meetings for July 2020 have been added to the calendar. These meetings will be held at Phar Lap Raceway, Timaru on Sunday 19 July, Avondale on Wednesday 22 July and Hawke’s Bay on Wednesday 29 July. All races will be run for $15,000 as per the July policy. Programmes for these meetings will be finalised in the next 24 hours and distributed to stake-holders.

Bloody hell Leggy. Don't do that to me. I just got the shock of my life. Giving a meeting to the Phar Lap raceway. Bloody hell. That just screams so much common sense, makes you wonder if they have employed someone with a brain.

WINTER CUP REINSTATEDThe Canterbury Jockey Club (‘CJC’)is delighted to announce that with the co-operation of New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing(‘NZTR’)the time-honouredGroup 3 Winter Cup will be run on Saturday 15 August 2020.The Grand National Festival of Racing was a casualty of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the racing calendar and whenthat decisionswas made there was little likelihoodthat the race would, be run this winter. Racemeetings in the June and July resumption phase had to be scheduled at racecourses wired with fibre optic cable and with Riccarton Park being one of only two such racecourses in the South Island that necessitatedtwo of the three days of the Grand National Festival coming forward.However now thatthoroughbred racing is up and running as from late June there is no reason not to run the Winter Cup and it will take its place on the programme of the CJC racemeeting at Riccarton Park on 15 August.The race will be run over its traditional distance of 1600 metres with the Group 3 stake to be confirmed when the NZTR funding policy is released later this week. Usually early entries are taken for the Winter Cup but that will not be the case this year and entries will close with the other races on theprogramme on Tuesday 11 August 2020.Attached is a fact sheet of the history of the Winter Cup.For further information please contact Tim Mills Canterbury Jockey Club Chief Executive 027 430 0208 or tim@riccartonpark.co.nz. Monday 6 July2020

5 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Careful. WD will have a heart attack.

Yes, a bit of a shock. It will be interesting to see what Northern support they get. I did hear a few at Awapuni saying their normal target would have been the Winter Cup. However there is no Canterbury meeting for two weeks before that meeting and for two weeks after it, so any North Island visitors will probably be heading there for just the one race. The stake will be interesting as well.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, a bit of a shock. It will be interesting to see what Northern support they get. I did hear a few at Awapuni saying their normal target would have been the Winter Cup. However there is no Canterbury meeting for two weeks before that meeting and for two weeks after it, so any North Island visitors will probably be heading there for just the one race. The stake will be interesting as well.

So there solutions for the Industry are reinstating what we already had...hmmmm

3 hours ago, Huey said:

So there solutions for the Industry are reinstating what we already had...hmmmm

Pity they cant reinstated racing back to the proper ratings systems so you can at least set a programme for a horse as at the moment its a lottery on what weight you will get depending on how high a rating is in your race then if they pull out before fields hello you are up a couple of kilos without knowing. Next thing you are hanging out for a rider if needing to claim down. Those horses wanting to go forward in the early spring are going to be setback a lot as not all will be rushing to a bog track too early,  just an example is Wanganui will all there meetings in that period there is only 1 1360 Open type race.

28 minutes ago, Peter R S said:

Ratings are being used for setting races for all meetings from 1 August

Which is a good idea. We can't afford to continue with 6 horses going around for $30,000 in a rating 82 while horses get eliminated from a rating 65.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Which is a good idea. We can't afford to continue with 6 horses going around for $30,000 in a rating 82 while horses get eliminated from a rating 65.

I dint agree. A horse that has had 5 starts for 2 wins is either rated 67 or 68 and they will struggle to get into fields. They are unfairly disadvsntaged

58 minutes ago, army said:

I dint agree. A horse that has had 5 starts for 2 wins is either rated 67 or 68 and they will struggle to get into fields. They are unfairly disadvsntaged

Where the banded entry races are carded up to R60, then I think that will provide a fair amount of certainty for R67/68s to get starts in the open entry races?

1 hour ago, Peter R S said:

That will certainly help the numbers in the open races, but a bit tough on R66-R80 level horses to have to compete with open class.

Yes, I agree with that. I think the open entry races should be limited to say a 16 point maximum range if they stick with an 8kg weight spread so all in the range are spaced in the handicap in accord with their rating. So no more than say R66 to R82, for example, or where the banded entry races are R60, then R61 to R77.

18 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Where the banded entry races are carded up to R60, then I think that will provide a fair amount of certainty for R67/68s to get starts in the open entry races?

They not ratings 60 though. On the web site they are rating 65.