RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lamour

Betting Machines

I rarely bet these days but went into the local pub on Friday to use their betting machine.  Couldn’t help but think I was using technology Software that seemed right out of the 80,s that hasn’t been updated since.   If they are going to replace tote operators with these machines they need to bring them up to date.                They should be able to accept eftpos for one thing. Also to speed things up they should  Be able to accept bet slips so people can place numerous bets without spending 2 or 3 minutes  at the terminal.      Also , what happens when you win because these machines only take investments, they don’t pay out on them.  

I'm not sure if your sure of the joke here,I used to  bet myself personally too much until I ran out of money but yes you are correct when it don't give money back,maybe the tab may pass a rule someday that you never get money back at all ,full stop.in reality it probably wont affect many people anyhow

On 7/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, mikenz said:

The picking comp yesty on here was based on a break even of 5 thousand something ,noone  got near it.

You can get your money back about half the time when  choosing to pick the winner, using the TABs new concept , the win insurance bets. Get your money back if your choice runs 2nd,  3rd  or 4th. Also an option if your selection runs 2nd .

On 7/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, lamour said:

I rarely bet these days but went into the local pub on Friday to use their betting machine.  Couldn’t help but think I was using technology Software that seemed right out of the 80,s that hasn’t been updated since.   If they are going to replace tote operators with these machines they need to bring them up to date.                They should be able to accept eftpos for one thing. Also to speed things up they should  Be able to accept bet slips so people can place numerous bets without spending 2 or 3 minutes  at the terminal.      Also , what happens when you win because these machines only take investments, they don’t pay out on them.  

This post is spot on.

Trying to feed notes into the bloody thing is frustrating. Then navigating between screens takes a while - interrupted at the beginning by it then bringing up a screen saying you just deposited $20 about 30 seconds after the money went in. Which I was aware I had done without being told !!

Then large fields don't appear on one screen (WTF) etc etc etc  - they are absolute dogs. Thank goodness we still have tote staff on course for those who don't use the phone.

They need a tune up regularly! 

And not from the poor barmaid at the pub either 

As mentioned above they struggle to accept some notes, especially new ones, especially with 30 seconds to race start or if a queue behind you. Try screwing the note up, sometimes it works. 

And the touch screen seems to get out of line a bit too

2 hours ago, Womby said:

They need a tune up regularly! 

And not from the poor barmaid at the pub either 

As mentioned above they struggle to accept some notes, especially new ones, especially with 30 seconds to race start or if a queue behind you. Try screwing the note up, sometimes it works. 

And the touch screen seems to get out of line a bit too

Watched one in action at the Pub

Wouldn't take one $20 note despite being inserted 4 different ways, then screwed up and tried again

Machine then accepted a different note, then happily accepted the 1st one

By then they had jumped so the poor guy ended up with a Voucher, he didn't want another bet, he did want a drink but couldn't pay with one with his Voucher

FFS

Mikie

These machines look like a Mercedes, all flash and colourfull but run like a Lada. I use them reqularly at the local but are so frustrating and I know them well. Pitty the casual user. Any money you put in is sent to the Reserve Bank to check it and half the time given back to you a minute later. Race has gone or if your "lucky: you get a betting voucher. well thanks for that!  If they want to get rid of tote operators they MUST  update these darleks. I have used machines all over OZ and the best by far are the WA ones. Look like a Lada runs lik a Meercedes. Fast and very user friendly with lots of bet options easy to find and put on  NZ tab needs to get their act together quickly and source the better operating systems for the casual user punter  or they will just give up. If your reading this TAB check out the WA machines.

Years of under investment will likely produce outcomes such as we are currently seeing with Pods. And the people operated machines are even worse. If you dont have money to upgrade you have to make do as TAB is currently doing from the looks of it.

Greg

13 hours ago, harewood said:

These machines look like a Mercedes, all flash and colourfull but run like a Lada. I use them reqularly at the local but are so frustrating and I know them well. Pitty the casual user. Any money you put in is sent to the Reserve Bank to check it and half the time given back to you a minute later. Race has gone or if your "lucky: you get a betting voucher. well thanks for that!  If they want to get rid of tote operators they MUST  update these darleks. I have used machines all over OZ and the best by far are the WA ones. Look like a Lada runs lik a Meercedes. Fast and very user friendly with lots of bet options easy to find and put on  NZ tab needs to get their act together quickly and source the better operating systems for the casual user punter  or they will just give up. If your reading this TAB check out the WA machines.

Sadly the way the industry here implements website/software devpt is to try and do our own bespoke thing - which has proven to be a dog and very expensive time after time. Why would you grab something that is proven and works overseas in much larger markets ?????? ;)

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Sadly the way the industry here implements website/software devpt is to try and do our own bespoke thing - which has proven to be a dog and very expensive time after time. Why would you grab something that is proven and works overseas in much larger markets ?????? ;)

You would need to ask Glenda and the previous board😀

Greg

I can't even get a field up from directly using the TAB website.  I get a blank white page . However  Industry links works on the HRNZ website . It works to get the fields up on TAB website so can have a bet.