RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Leggy

Prizemoney

I see today that through June 28 NZTR has paid out $41.26m cf. the FY20 budget of $53.18m and the 2019 $53.32m. Does anyone know where the other $12m is and how we will get it back? Will it be added to next season's stakes maybe?

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Leggy, ask the question of Bernard Saundry next time that he has his Facebook video interaction. 

He has already declined to answer and referred me to RITA when I last tried that. Have a go yourself.

Question sent:

• It is rumoured that RITA have failed to make some intended distributions to the codes this season. If so, what is the shortfall to date and what is it likely to be by the end of the season? When will this be remedied if it is indeed the case?

Response from NZTR when it wasn't adressed in the Facebook session:

• Your question regarding stakes and programming were answered via the statement which went out to industry participants on Thursday - $15,000 stakes across the board for July, payments back to 14th, free entry for those horses which start and open entry races.
  • The questions regarding RITA are really best directed at RITA.

Getting any response from RITA is also like pulling teeth.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

He has already declined to answer and referred me to RITA when I last tried that. Have a go yourself.

Question sent:

• It is rumoured that RITA have failed to make some intended distributions to the codes this season. If so, what is the shortfall to date and what is it likely to be by the end of the season? When will this be remedied if it is indeed the case?

Response from NZTR when it wasn't adressed in the Facebook session:

• Your question regarding stakes and programming were answered via the statement which went out to industry participants on Thursday - $15,000 stakes across the board for July, payments back to 14th, free entry for those horses which start and open entry races.
  • The questions regarding RITA are really best directed at RITA.

Getting any response from RITA is also like pulling teeth.

Or the codes like to put it all on RITA rather than addressing issues themselves.

1 August should see  some real change n.this respect as that's when the multi code NZ Racing takes control of their own destiny. Working out distributions to the codes being the primary one after NZTAB decides annual  distribution 

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Or the codes like to put it all on RITA rather than addressing issues themselves.

1 August should see  some real change n.this respect as that's when the multi code NZ Racing takes control of their own destiny. Working out distributions to the codes being the primary one after NZTAB decides annual  distribution 

Greg

Agree especially NZTR under Saundry. 

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Agree especially NZTR under Saundry. 

HRNZ are probably even worse IMHO. Look at the Forbury debacle, was going to be legal action which they probably would have won after HRNZ failed to consult them and thus failed to carry out correct processes.

You will all see how bad they all are when they have to decide whose getting what  on 1 August  Thats when Racing NZ board have to decide  whose going to get what share of NZTAB distribution, the latter having no say on that matter.

Greg

2 hours ago, Stables said:

Yes, but who will be on the board of NZ Racing. Those appointments are essential to its success or failure

Thats the Million dollar question, especially the appointment process for 2 independents.

Greg

On 7/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, JJ Flash said:

HRNZ are probably even worse IMHO. Look at the Forbury debacle, was going to be legal action which they probably would have won after HRNZ failed to consult them and thus failed to carry out correct processes.

From the Barry Lichter files

When Forbury CEO Della Henderson took the club’s case to Parliament last week and met with numerous MPs, it was universally accepted there was a lack of due process and transparency with the way HRNZ had acted.

It is understood HRNZ never met with club officials and came to its decision after only two phone calls.

In a statement, acting CEO Phil Holden expressed his surprise that RITA had over-ruled its recommendations on Forbury and Timaru, which also was granted three meetings.

Greg

On 7/3/2020 at 7:29 PM, Leggy said:

I see today that through June 28 NZTR has paid out $41.26m cf. the FY20 budget of $53.18m and the 2019 $53.32m. Does anyone know where the other $12m is and how we will get it back? Will it be added to next season's stakes maybe?

Was the budgeted amount already in the coffers or was this what was 'hoped' for as the season progressed.

One assumes the money doesn't sit around for long at the best of times !

Covid halted all revenue ,while many costs bled for sometime.

47 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

From the Barry Lichter files

When Forbury CEO Della Henderson took the club’s case to Parliament last week and met with numerous MPs, it was universally accepted there was a lack of due process and transparency with the way HRNZ had acted.

It is understood HRNZ never met with club officials and came to its decision after only two phone calls.

In a statement, acting CEO Phil Holden expressed his surprise that RITA had over-ruled its recommendations on Forbury and Timaru, which also was granted three meetings.

Greg

Why is he surprised ??
If they do not follow the correct protocol in meeting with Clubs, then make arbitrary decisions based on largely regional bias, what did they expect ?
Any Club worth it’s salt won’t roll over just to suit HRNZ.

51 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Covid halted all revenue ,while many costs bled for sometime.

What? The TAB operated throughout didn't it and didn't have the costs of broadcasting and servicing NZ meetings. Nor did they require staff in business areas such as sports where there was no work etc.

11 minutes ago, Stables said:

As I understand it the money is paid in advance. As I've already asked what happened to the funds paid out for the period of the shutdown when no racing was held?

Yes. Under the current Act it's paid at the beginning of the new season based on the TAB revenue from the previous season but I can't seem to confirm that's what happened here. Can you? Do the codes actually have it?

53 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Why is he surprised ??
If they do not follow the correct protocol in meeting with Clubs, then make arbitrary decisions based on largely regional bias, what did they expect ?
Any Club worth it’s salt won’t roll over just to suit HRNZ.

It just shows how amateur  the Harness code hierarchy  is O.man. 

How much longer can Spicer survive.

Greg

Leggy, it hasn't been possible to get any information on this funding. I did get an indication that the funds had been used to keep HRNZ going during the lockdown. I do know that HRNZ did claim funding from the wage subsidy scheme. Other than wages their costs would have included rent on their premises after the ridiculous decision to sell their building in Lincoln Road and move to costly rental premises. Other than that I am struggling to get any further information

26 minutes ago, Stables said:

Leggy, it hasn't been possible to get any information on this funding. I did get an indication that the funds had been used to keep HRNZ going during the lockdown. I do know that HRNZ did claim funding from the wage subsidy scheme. Other than wages their costs would have included rent on their premises after the ridiculous decision to sell their building in Lincoln Road and move to costly rental premises. Other than that I am struggling to get any further information

Subsidy Number of 
employees 
paid
Total amount paid
HRNZ LIMITED Wage Subsidy 77 $532,790.40

1 hour ago, Stables said:

One assumes a decent landlord would have given them some rent relief.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

What? The TAB operated throughout didn't it and didn't have the costs of broadcasting and servicing NZ meetings. Nor did they require staff in business areas such as sports where there was no work etc.

Yes it did operate.....Aussie racing etc but boss Dean reported at the time revenue was well down , and sports dried up except for some obscure sports like TT and Volleyball. The Table Tennis was from Russia ,Ukraine and Czech and TTNZ did well considering in recent years they received less than $100 [yes ,one hundred bucks from the TAB commissions !]...these were local leagues only!

And it took a while to layoff staff etc so redundancies and ongoing leases/rents no doubt caused bleeding resulting in guvmint handout.

As to paying Codes in advance ,I don't think this is possible , I'd guess monies don't hang around for long and the TAB is legislated to hold an amount called Betting Accounts and Vouchers trust to handle a run on funds/accounts etc