RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chevy86

Breeding Intentions 2020

Might be interesting to survey breeders intentions for this breeding season in light of economic conditions, race scheduling uncertainty, stakes levels, governance vacuum and general justified malaise following recent national decision-making. 

I personally was going to breed 2 mares to 2 mid-range priced stallions (8K-15K) but not prepared to take the risk as I think there is a chance the industry may well evaporate "post-Winston". ( and believe me I am no fan of his but he has kept the industry on a ventilator, temporarily) There will be no support from a disastrous Labour/Greens  and in fact they will probably welcome our demise.

Thoughts?

P.S. Still have a few to try which might help dispose of some of my "wealth" before the mongrel Greens come after it.

3 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Might be interesting to survey breeders intentions for this breeding season in light of economic conditions, race scheduling uncertainty, stakes levels, governance vacuum and general justified malaise following recent national decision-making. 

I personally was going to breed 2 mares to 2 mid-range priced stallions (8K-15K) but not prepared to take the risk as I think there is a chance the industry may well evaporate "post-Winston". ( and believe me I am no fan of his but he has kept the industry on a ventilator, temporarily) There will be no support from a disastrous Labour/Greens  and in fact they will probably welcome our demise.

Thoughts?

P.S. Still have a few to try which might help dispose of some of my "wealth" before the mongrel Greens come after it.

As you say Chevy, Racing has just had a huge “top up”. Irrespective of who is in power after September,  surely you don’t expect another one (top up)? 

Interesting topic Chevy. I have changed my mind a few times over the last few months about how many mares I will send to stud this year. Out of a possible nine I will send only three and they will go to proven sires that are doing well in Australia. It is a bit soul destroying for breeders to see progeny being sold on gavelhouse for no money by sires with a 10k plus service fee. No doubt there will be a shortage in the foal crop down the track, so I have decided to send a few and lower the risk at least by going to ones Aussie buyers rate. 

On 6/29/2020 at 9:27 PM, omarie said:

Interesting topic Chevy. I have changed my mind a few times over the last few months about how many mares I will send to stud this year. Out of a possible nine I will send only three and they will go to proven sires that are doing well in Australia. It is a bit soul destroying for breeders to see progeny being sold on gavelhouse for no money by sires with a 10k plus service fee. No doubt there will be a shortage in the foal crop down the track, so I have decided to send a few and lower the risk at least by going to ones Aussie buyers rate. 

Oh to have your money. Snitzel, I Am Invincible, Pierro

2 hours ago, Hangfire said:

Oh to have your money. Snitzel, I Am Invincible, Pierro

I wish Hangfire. About twenty years ago I did have a mare resident at Coolmore for a number of years, however from what I am lead to believe the costs to breed in Australia are now very high. The cost of actually grazing a mare there nowadays is a significant issue. My mares are based on my property in the lower North Island so I will be sending a few to NZ based sires that are doing well in Aus. If I didn't have the property I would only have a couple of mares. Maybe I should only breed one mare & send it to Aus, however it wouldn't be to one of those you mentioned, as they are well out of my price range. 

9 hours ago, Davey1 said:

Out of interest which NZ based sires would you say are proven in Australia?

Just my opinion Davey, however I am looking at Ocean Park and Reliable Man with both Per Incanto and Redwood  starting to produce good winners over there as well. I do like Rip Van Winkle and even though Jennifer Eccles hasn't raced in Aus I wouldn't mind breeding one half as good as her. Te Akau Shark isn't bad either. What a sad loss Tavistock has been, as he appears to get winners every day over there. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, omarie said:

Just my opinion Davey, however I am looking at Ocean Park and Reliable Man with both Per Incanto and Redwood  starting to produce good winners over there as well. I do like Rip Van Winkle and even though Jennifer Eccles hasn't raced in Aus I wouldn't mind breeding one half as good as her. Te Akau Shark isn't bad either. What a sad loss Tavistock has been, as he appears to get winners every day over there. 

Three at Caulfield today for Tavistock .