RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Baz (NZ)

Riccarton Handicapping Error?

I noticed the winner of Race 3 at Riccarton had a carded weight of 54kg along with one other runner in that race? :blink:
I believe NZTR set the minimum weight at 55kg for June/July racing...mistake by the handicapper?? :huh::unsure:

No. the horse was a 2yo filly taking on older horses. a 1kg increase to normal weights Baz.

"Also discussed with these groups, together with the jockeys’ association, was the introduction of the extra 1kg in terms of the weight scale. It was unanimously agreed that this will remain in place until 31 July 2020. "

I don't understand that given the above policy statement. Can you explain in more detail Ted. I thought a minimum of 55 would be exactly that. Is that before an allowance for 2yos? It is not clear to me. I also thought the handicapping was supposed to be from the bottom up, so any compression is at the top? It seems to be being done from the top down. I probably just don't get it.

Just gong off what I read on the NZTR website Leggy:  After reading what Baz has posted he may well be right?

Meeting News

Racing Policy Update – June/July

After consultation with club managers and the trainers’ association the restriction around the number of trials a horse can have has been removed effective immediately. This restriction was initially brought in to encourage horses to race as part of the ‘return to racing’. Indications are that numbers are strong. Preference will be given to horses having their first trial in a preparation if the trial meeting is over-subscribed. Also discussed with these groups, together with the jockeys’ association, was the introduction of the extra 1kg in terms of the weight scale. It was unanimously agreed that this will remain in place until 31 July 2020.

Subsequent to the race it was brought to the Stewards’ attention that two runners in Race 3, IMPECUNIOUS and NO RIGMAROLE (both two year old fillies), had been handicapped to carry 54kgs which was contrary to the NZTR published Racing Conditions & Regulations For a Return to Racing June/July 2020 which specified that the minimum weight allocated for any race shall be not less than 55kgs (includes a 1kg jockey welfare allowance). Enquiries made with NZTR confirmed that the weights allotted to these runners had been made in error.

6 minutes ago, barryb said:

Subsequent to the race it was brought to the Stewards’ attention that two runners in Race 3, IMPECUNIOUS and NO RIGMAROLE (both two year old fillies), had been handicapped to carry 54kgs which was contrary to the NZTR published Racing Conditions & Regulations For a Return to Racing June/July 2020 which specified that the minimum weight allocated for any race shall be not less than 55kgs (includes a 1kg jockey welfare allowance). Enquiries made with NZTR confirmed that the weights allotted to these runners had been made in error.

Oh dear , oops . Dread to think of the errors that are made that don't get noticed .

2 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

No.
Fortunately on this occasion the handicapping error didn't really affect the result.

However  both sets trainer,  jockey and weigh out clerk  clearly had not read the rules or do not know how to apply them. 

I think if winner and other would have carried 55kgs it would have bumped rest up a kilo anyway .

Be worth scrolling through to see if any other 2 year old that may have run past week against older horses as it appears plenty people are asleep at wheel. It mad , no one involved  before the race said hey this isn't right , decs been out for days .

1 minute ago, nomates said:

You think if a trainer had noticed they would have fessed up , YEA right .

I am truly amazed no one knew the rule , licence holders should be reading them I would have thought . Wonder who told them .

Jockeys live by watching weights,  and making weights . These two clearly not too clever .

11 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

If a Jockey weighs in light there would be fines and disqualifications dished out all over the Stewards report! 😲

Can you fine or disqualify the handicapper? 😆

Winning jock is 2 kg claimer , claimed 2 kgs race  before and race after . Race 2  horse ridden by Sarah McNab goes from 55 to 53 . So why was he shown as no claim off 54kgs . Should he not have been 55 to 53 , therefore possibly at 54 carrying was a  kilo over . Maybe they carded at 54 and maybe went no claim to 52 as too low . Good job weren't beaten a nose . What reason would one go 55 to 53 and this one 54 and claim zero ? . PHARR CANAL it  looks messy .

1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

Winning jock is 2 kg claimer , claimed 2 kgs race  before and race after . Race 2  horse ridden by Sarah McNab goes from 55 to 53 . So why was he shown as no claim off 54kgs . Should he not have been 55 to 53 , therefore possibly at 54 carrying was a  kilo over . Maybe they carded at 54 and maybe went no claim to 52 as too low . Good job weren't beaten a nose . What reason would one go 55 to 53 and this one 54 and claim zero ? . PHARR CANAL it  looks messy .

Kavish Chowdhoory's riding weight is listed as 54kg...so probably couldnt claim his full 2kg.

If he did.... it would have been a whole different argument.

Well I don't see how Sarah was allowed to claim down to 53. As I understand the rules, apprentices can claim below the minimum weight specified in the race conditions but not below the lowest weight specified in the Racing Policy for the type of race, which for all these races was 55. How could they have allowed that? Surely that should have been prevented by the stewards?  Or am I missing something here?

9 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Kavish Chowdhoory's riding weight is listed as 54kg...so probably couldnt claim his full 2kg.

If he did.... it would have been a whole different argument.

So in reality should be 55 kgs down to 53kgs carry 1 kgs overweight . Plenty this past week under the 55kgs with the claim .

1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

So in reality should be 55 kgs down to 53kgs carry 1 kgs overweight . Plenty this past week under the 55kgs with the claim .

Yes you can look at it that way. Or 55kg claiming 1kg down to 54kg. In this case today 54kgs claiming 0kgs. 😆

5 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Of course they can.

The 55kgs is the minimum weight allotted, not the minimum to be carried. The apprentices can still claim below the allotted weight.

Not in my set of rules Ted.

542 (1) Subject to the provisions of the Racing Policy relating to the lowest weights to be carried in certain Races, such allowances may be claimed notwithstanding that the effect of such may be to allow the horse ridden by an Apprentice Jockey to carry less than the minimum weight specified in the conditions of the Race.

Doesn't the current Racing Policy above set a lowest weight for these races of 55?

There are certain races where you can't claim ie wfa etc.

None of the races today or Counties last week for that matter from what I can see today qualified as such. They were subject to a minimum of 55kgs allocated from which apprentices could claim..

Have a look at Counties last week, Wanganui Thursday and Riccarton today and you will see a host of horses that carried less than 55kgs through the apprentice allowances.