RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Don't be fooled by the spin - the truth on code funding

5 hours ago, nomates said:

It's all well and good reducing the number of races but there has to be common sense applied as to where and how . 

In the CD between 31/7 till 25/10 a period of 13 weeks they have programmed , provisionally , 14 meetings , with 8 races programmed for each meeting . This is a reduction from 22 meetings for the same period last season , so a loss of 8 meetings over 13 weeks . Now for me this is over kill for one district . We are already over stocked on a reduced July calender , as shown by the number of horses missing a start over the first 3 meetings run . Wait till spring arrives and all the spring 3yo's and lightly tried mdns and those that wanting better surfaces start appearing , along with the big northern stables bringing down their younger horses . Where are the races for them going to be .

3 of the 14 meetings are H Bay premier days , so i wouldn't expect a raft of mdn and lower grade races being run , also 1 day is guineas at Wang and 1 day is Breeders day at Hawera . So if we take those 5 meetings along with the 5 during August , which is still winter racing , that is 10 meetings out of the 14 , leaving 4 meetings over 8 weeks for the influx of young horses along with all the lower grade 65s , and 70s , that aren't up to premier grade , to find opportunities .

Something has to give , i'm sure on the days left they will add races , but surely 1 raceday a week for 3 months is not sufficient for the CD .

Will they add meetings or will they stubbornly stick to what they have put forward , it will be interesting .

It's all well trying to reduce costs but if they don't i think there could be a few upset owners over the first 3 months of the season .

if they wanted to destroy CD racing they are going about it the right way.

Do they think owners are happy to pay 3k a month and not race?

Maybe someone can correct me but I understand this thinking is from Tim Aldridge.

if that's the case why aren't trainers kicking up a  stink and trying to get rid of him?

Where are the facts to back up reducing CD racing to that extent?

2 minutes ago, winx21 said:

if they wanted to destroy CD racing they are going about it the right way.

Do they think owners are happy to pay 3k a month and not race?

Maybe someone can correct me but I understand this thinking is from Tim Aldridge.

if that's the case why aren't trainers kicking up a  stink and trying to get rid of him?

Where are the facts to back up reducing CD racing to that extent?

Yes Winx I've also heard Aldridge is behind this thinking,therefore it's going no where good. 

45 minutes ago, nomates said:

I would think they could run 1 meeting like this every 4 weeks in each district , they should also be able to afford to run them for at least 4/5 k . Plus placegetters get no re rating and winner gets only a small re rating but 1/2 guaranteed starts back in normal grade races . Ideas mate , it's where it all starts , alas those in charge don't have them and don't want anybody providing them . The great wall of China is small in comparison to the wall around their ideas department .

Exactly my point but a couple a month,  I think they'd be popular in all respects. 

12 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Nope...common sense thinking suggests I could be right?  Example below...what maiden field with form below would generate more interest and turnover for the average Punter (A) (B) or (C)....
Maiden Field (A)
1.   22222 Runner A
2.   33333 Runner B
3.   22223 Runner C
4.   33334 Runner D
5.   2222   Runner E
6.   3333   Runner F
7.   4443   Runner G
8.   2232   Runner H
9.   2234   Runner I
10. 22       Runner J
11. 33       Runner K
12. 44       Runner L
13. 234     Runner M
14. 2432   Runner N
15. 5522   Runner O
16  4522   Runner P

Maiden Field (B)
1.   00000 Runner A
2.   99999 Runner B
3.   99908 Runner C
4.   00009 Runner D
5.   98760 Runner E
6.   0000   Runner F
7.   0090   Runner G
8.   0679   Runner H
9.   9690   Runner I
10. 0070   Runner J
11. 8890   Runner K
12. 770     Runner L
13. 086     Runner M
14. 7690   Runner N
15. 0096   Runner O
16  0668   Runner P

Maiden Field (C)
1.   00000 Runner A
2.   0000   Runner B
3.   0090   Runner C
4.   0370   Runner J
5.   02800 Runner K
6.   7700   Runner L
7.   0467   Runner M
8.   7690   Runner N

I wouldn't be taking a quadruple you'd have to Field every leg; 😁

Yes Winx I've also heard Aldridge is behind this thinking,therefore it's going no where good.

Is he sackable or just another one of those in wellington that can do whatever to ruin NZ racing and never be held accountable?

So many stupid decisions that have come out of wellington over the years his name seems very prominent ive heard

16 minutes ago, winx21 said:

A lot of the smaller trainers are hanging on by the skin of their teeth , now the big names , that's a different story , lot's of self interest . Get as much out of the trough before it gets a hole in the bottom .

12 minutes ago, Huey said:

Exactly my point but a couple a month,  I think they'd be popular in all respects. 

Whatever works , if the numbers say we want more give it to them . The biggest problem tho the team in charge have been following the same path for so long the trench is a mile deep and they don't know any other way . And it's just as easy to keep on the same path as try something new like thinking , they still get paid do the usual .

Historically I've always felt it's hard work in the CD in Spring

Typically say a Maiden 3yo comes back in to work mid June

and if it trials well and shows promise it's hard to get any momentum into it's campaign  primarily because of the 3 Premier days at Hawkes Bay, add in Saturdays at New Plymouth and Hawera which maiden fields are full.......you get an unsuitable / wet track or two........before you know it it's November......and you are left wondering what's been achieved with the last 4 months of training expenses

If as Nomates reports......22 meetings reducing to 14 during this period.....it will be very frustrating

19 minutes ago, Roger Sugrue said:

If as Nomates reports......22 meetings reducing to 14 during this period.....it will be very frustrating

Provisional , but you never know someone at NZTR might have got struck by lightening which will reset their thinking patterns .

11 minutes ago, Roger Sugrue said:

Historically I've always felt it's hard work in the CD in Spring

Typically say a Maiden 3yo comes back in to work mid June

and if it trials well and shows promise it's hard to get any momentum into it's campaign  primarily because of the 3 Premier days at Hawkes Bay, add in Saturdays at New Plymouth and Hawera which maiden fields are full.......you get an unsuitable / wet track or two........before you know it it's November......and you are left wondering what's been achieved with the last 4 months of training expenses

Yep agree this is absolute shit programming for Central Districts Racing in the months of August/September!

10 hours ago, nomates said:

Whatever works , if the numbers say we want more give it to them . The biggest problem tho the team in charge have been following the same path for so long the trench is a mile deep and they don't know any other way . And it's just as easy to keep on the same path as try something new like thinking , they still get paid do the usual .

Not wrong there NM......🙄

854976C2-2EBC-4B13-8B59-FF3A3338114D.jpeg

So tomorrow 1 July....most spring horses back in work....let's say here in the CD there are 600 horses in work

Of those   95% will be ineligible or uncompetitive to race at the 3 day HB carnival

85% for same reason won't  race at Feature Saturdays....... Wanganui, New Plym, Marton, Hawera, Trentham ( from memory) 

25% are babies ( 2 and 3yo in their first preps, will have a jumpout / trial and go out )

Of the remaining ( 60%)  .....half will be plugging round in the mud currently.......the other half.... 150 - 200 horses will be looking to kick off their season / career with say 3 races spaced at 3 week intervals  throughout the spring.........at Industry days......many of which   no longer exist

Just looking out the window at my 2 who should be back in work tomorrow........maybe they will remain home for a couple of months........... while I try and get my head around this

1 hour ago, Roger Sugrue said:

So tomorrow 1 July....most spring horses back in work....let's say here in the CD there are 600 horses in work

Of those   95% will be ineligible or uncompetitive to race at the 3 day HB carnival

85% for same reason won't  race at Feature Saturdays....... Wanganui, New Plym, Marton, Hawera, Trentham ( from memory) 

25% are babies ( 2 and 3yo in their first preps, will have a jumpout / trial and go out )

Of the remaining ( 60%)  .....half will be plugging round in the mud currently.......the other half.... 150 - 200 horses will be looking to kick off their season / career with say 3 races spaced at 3 week intervals  throughout the spring.........at Industry days......many of which   no longer exist

Just looking out the window at my 2 who should be back in work tomorrow........maybe they will remain home for a couple of months........... while I try and get my head around this

You won't be alone. Talking to a small trainer this morning. One better one just gone to Oz, sacked a couple. Another one like mine and yours running round the paddock til the situation comes clearer. I wonder if what may happen is the number of available horses will quickly adjust itself to the opportunities available?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I wonder if what may happen is the number of available horses will quickly adjust itself to the opportunities available?

Probably , the problem then is they start readjusting opportunities fearing dropping numbers , ever decreasing circles .

I wonder if as the industry decreases incrementally and the " business " shrinks , salaries fall into line with the decrease .

23 hours ago, nomates said:

Will they add meetings or will they stubbornly stick to what they have put forward , it will be interesting .

I said this yesterday regarding the programming in the CD but is applicable for all regions . Also last week after seeing the number of horses missing a run at Counties i said Te Rapa could be a shit fest , well unfortunately it is worse than even i thought .

Noms out for TE Rapa and they have programmed 12 races, but there are sufficient noms to run 21 full fields . 310 noms, now there are some double noms but not enough to cause much change . Have they done the right thing by owners and said we have to put on further meetings to meet demand or at least said that they are looking at the possibility , NO , NO , NO .

They have said any horse missing a run at Te Rapa  , 142 horses missing a run , will be guaranteed a run at Counties on the 11th or Ellerslie on the 15th . 

This is not good enough from NZTR , they asked the industry to come to the party after Covid and get their horses into work . Well come to the party they did , BIG TIME . But NZTR has forgotten that they were putting a party on . DISGRACEFUL .

NZTR has failed their participants massively . I genuinely feel sorry for every owner that has missed a run this week .

All they had to do was program another meeting , it was always obvious from trials and the Counties noms that the horses were there . Short sighted and myopic .

Will they add meetings or will they stubbornly stick to what they have programmed , NO longer interesting just SAD .

P.S. Awapuni noms were not out at the time i wrote this , so just going to check them out , will be interesting .

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

P.S. Awapuni noms were not out at the time i wrote this , so just going to check them out , will be interesting .

Just had a look at Palmy noms and not too bad fortunately . They have had the foresight to split the 1400 as 12 of those nom'd for this are mdns . The Mdn 1000 has 23 noms but only 12 can get a run , this should have been split into a 11/12 .

Some may say , they can go to Wanganui next week , and that may be , but they chose to want to run at Palmy . They have got their horses ready to race as asked , the industry should reward them for fulfilling that request .

I wonder if anything will be said to NZTR by industry participants or they just take it on the chin .

On 6/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, nomates said:

It's all well and good reducing the number of races but there has to be common sense applied as to where and how . 

In the CD between 31/7 till 25/10 a period of 13 weeks they have programmed , provisionally , 14 meetings , with 8 races programmed for each meeting . This is a reduction from 22 meetings for the same period last season , so a loss of 8 meetings over 13 weeks . Now for me this is over kill for one district . We are already over stocked on a reduced July calender , as shown by the number of horses missing a start over the first 3 meetings run . Wait till spring arrives and all the spring 3yo's and lightly tried mdns and those that wanting better surfaces start appearing , along with the big northern stables bringing down their younger horses . Where are the races for them going to be .

3 of the 14 meetings are H Bay premier days , so i wouldn't expect a raft of mdn and lower grade races being run , also 1 day is guineas at Wang and 1 day is Breeders day at Hawera . So if we take those 5 meetings along with the 5 during August , which is still winter racing , that is 10 meetings out of the 14 , leaving 4 meetings over 8 weeks for the influx of young horses along with all the lower grade 65s , and 70s , that aren't up to premier grade , to find opportunities .

Something has to give , i'm sure on the days left they will add races , but surely 1 raceday a week for 3 months is not sufficient for the CD .

It's all well trying to reduce costs but if they don't i think there could be a few upset owners over the first 3 months of the season .

OK , so NZTR have posted their calendar for AUG/SEPT , and no additions for the CD . 1 meeting a week for the first 8 weeks , week 1 is actually Palmy on Fri 31st July . First week with 2 meetings is weekending 27th Sept . So they have stuck to provisional calendar . They have also listed programmes , on average 1 mdn sprint per week . Didn't go thru all the lower grades . Wanganui GNS not programmed , Tarzino day at Hastings has a hurdle and steeplechase . 

AS you would expect plenty of jumping races , but a few jocks are going to be doing it tuff . Also heard thru the grapevine a 1 if not 2 of the gate guys gave it up as couldn't see enough earnings in it , so got fulltime work .

Interesting still not giving any indication of stakes for any of those meetings . You would think they must have some idea by now . 

All very messy , even allowing for Covid .

48 minutes ago, nomates said:

OK , so NZTR have posted their calendar for AUG/SEPT , and no additions for the CD . 1 meeting a week for the first 8 weeks , week 1 is actually Palmy on Fri 31st July . First week with 2 meetings is weekending 27th Sept . So they have stuck to provisional calendar . They have also listed programmes , on average 1 mdn sprint per week . Didn't go thru all the lower grades . Wanganui GNS not programmed , Tarzino day at Hastings has a hurdle and steeplechase . 

AS you would expect plenty of jumping races , but a few jocks are going to be doing it tuff . Also heard thru the grapevine a 1 if not 2 of the gate guys gave it up as couldn't see enough earnings in it , so got fulltime work .

Interesting still not giving any indication of stakes for any of those meetings . You would think they must have some idea by now . 

All very messy , even allowing for Covid .

Just shows how bad things are when they can only confirm Aug and Sept races without thinking there seems to be plenty of horses available so we could be brave to offer more options and to have still programming Open type races in this period is a joke. Jumping on Group 1Tarzino day is to keep the local jumps trainer happy I suppose they use to have Cup day hurdles last century.