RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Stables

Racing Integrity Unit

I understood that a restructuring of the Racing Integrity Unit was to be included as part of the Racing Bill recently enacted by Parliament. Did that occur or has it all been swept under the carpet?

30 minutes ago, Stables said:

I understood that a restructuring of the Racing Integrity Unit was to be included as part of the Racing Bill recently enacted by Parliament. Did that occur or has it all been swept under the carpet?

You could try reading the Act!

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2019/0198/latest/LMS292101.html

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2019/0198/latest/LMS292087.html

43 minutes ago, Stables said:

Sorry, there is nothing there about restructuring the RIU. The making of rules has always been a code responsebility. There is no change there

What is this then?

33 Racing Integrity Board established
This section establishes the Racing Integrity Board (the Board).
35 Functions and powers of Board

(1)

The functions of the Board are

Compliance

(a)

to employ and train stipendiary stewards and racing investigators to perform and exercise the functions, duties, and powers in each code’s racing rules:

(b)

to provide, or arrange for the provision of, veterinary services in relation to racing conducted by each racing code as required by the code’s racing rules:

(c)

to provide, or arrange for the provision of, alcohol, drug, and prohibited substances testing in relation to racing conducted by each racing code as required by the code’s racing rules:

(d)

to monitor the operation and effectiveness of each racing code’s animal welfare policies and initiatives:

Adjudication

(e)

to appoint adjudicative committees to hear and adjudicate on any matters (whether arising on a particular day of racing or otherwise) in accordance with racing rules and to impose penalties and award costs in accordance with those rules:

(f)

to appoint appeals tribunals to hear and adjudicate on appeals (including penalties imposed or costs awarded):

Other

(g)

to recommend to the racing codes any amendments to racing rules that the Board considers necessary or desirable for the purpose of supporting the racing integrity system:

(h)

to recommend to TAB NZ any amendments to betting rules that the Board considers necessary or desirable for the purpose of supporting the racing integrity system:

(i)

to initiate, develop, and recommend to the recognised industry organisations those measures that will, in the Board’s opinion, be conducive to the efficient and effective judicial control of New Zealand racing:

(j)

to monitor the operation and effectiveness of the racing integrity system on an ongoing basis and to report to the Minister as required on the outcome of that monitoring:

(k)

to provide any other services to a racing code agreed between the Board and the code or required by the code’s racing rules:

(l)

to carry out any other functions necessary or desirable to assist the Board in achieving its objectives.

(2)

The Board must ensure that its compliance functions and adjudication functions are performed independently of each other.

(3)

The Board, and any persons employed or appointed by the Board to carry out its functions, have and may exercise all the powers that may be reasonably necessary for the purposes of carrying out those functions.

What i would like to know is how much money this has cost the police for this whole operation. Any ideas where this info could be got? Also how much money has been wasted by the R.I.U on this. 

Actually looking at my post i dont think we will find out how much money they have wasted on this debacle. They are still employing new staff while everyone else in the industry bleeds. Heads should roll over this.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, poundforpound said:

The first question any reasonable person should be asking right now is how and why did the Organised Crime Unit get involved in Inca, and what relationship have they got with the RIU or its agents  

As Judge Neave dismantles the crown case it’s becoming more and more obvious that there is NO money trail, there are NO betting irregularities ... all they’ve got us a bit of racing banter and some very dodgy insinuations from their expert witnesses 

The Organised Crime Unit is dedicated to large scale organised crime, usually with an international connection, not minor racing misdemeanours 

There’s going to be one hell of a story told here if and when the cost of this farcical exercise becomes public knowledge 

I would hazard a guess at somewhere between 5 and 10 million to date in Police, RIU and Crown costs to date

Mikie

4 hours ago, Long stop said:

What i would like to know is how much money this has cost the police for this whole operation. Any ideas where this info could be got? Also how much money has been wasted by the R.I.U on this. 

Didnt cost the Police a cent. Cost the tax payers for all the time wasted.

3 hours ago, Stables said:

I do know that several of the accused have spent well in excess of $100,000 defending themselves against charges that have been thrown out by the judge

Work it out. average fee would be $350 +GST per hour then there would be  some document preparation in the vicinity of $3500.00 each. We work on a fee of $4500 per 6 hour day.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, poundforpound said:

The cost of the Police operation will be well over 15 million and almost certainly over 20 million.

It is The Organised Crime Unit after all, not just the regular Police 

The first recorded involvement of the RIU ( in the Police evidence ) is September 2016 

There’s no way of knowing what the RIU has spent but I can tell you only ONE RIU name keeps popping up in the Police evidence 

They still have no money trail, nor do they have any betting irregularities 

At the last pre trial hearing the defendants were represented by thirteen lawyers, nine of whom were QC’s ......one single defendant was billed $41,000 for that four day pre trial hearing attendance 

The cost to the industry is staggering....for nothing......

Judge Neave is dismantling the crown case....meantime Operation Inca wasted more time laying criminal charges against me....then withdrew them last week after we asked for disclosure 

This must surely go down as the single greatest waste of Police resources ever, nearly four years investigation if you include the RIU, covert surveillance for 160 days from Invercargill, to Forbury Park, Christchurch to Blenheim, Alexandra Park to Cambridge, to Palmerston North, nearly four years now, motels, hotels, rental cars, at race meetings, airports, phone taps, trailing cars late at night, for what ?, for absolutely nothing ( as yet anyway )

Thanks Leo, Guess I'll have to seriously look at my fee scale.Start with 30min fee for just saying Hello every time I answer the phone LOL

7 minutes ago, poundforpound said:.....but as Shakespeare said “ he will be hoist by his own petard “ ( or something very similar ) 

Not similar, those are the exact words in Hamlet, the High School play for which I was conveniently sick with chicken pox ( yes, chicken, not the pox, I was only 15)

I hope you are right P4P

Mikie

On 6/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, poundforpound said:

The cost of the Police operation will be well over 15 million and almost certainly over 20 million.

It is The Organised Crime Unit after all, not just the regular Police 

The first recorded involvement of the RIU ( in the Police evidence ) is September 2016 

There’s no way of knowing what the RIU has spent but I can tell you only ONE RIU name keeps popping up in the Police evidence 

They still have no money trail, nor do they have any betting irregularities 

At the last pre trial hearing the defendants were represented by thirteen lawyers, nine of whom were QC’s ......one single defendant was billed $41,000 for that four day pre trial hearing attendance 

The cost to the industry is staggering....for nothing......

Judge Neave is dismantling the crown case....meantime Operation Inca wasted more time laying criminal charges against me....then withdrew them last week after we asked for disclosure 

This must surely go down as the single greatest waste of Police resources ever, nearly four years investigation if you include the RIU, covert surveillance for 160 days from Invercargill, to Forbury Park, Christchurch to Blenheim, Alexandra Park to Cambridge, to Palmerston North, nearly four years now, motels, hotels, rental cars, at race meetings, airports, phone taps, trailing cars late at night, for what ?, for absolutely nothing ( as yet anyway )

Quite staggerring really and whats worse is they probably will keep going. Trying to get blood out of a stone. Disgraceful waste of racings funds at a time when can least afford it. How are these guys accountable ?

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Certainly no problem for me 

FYI Operation Inca charged me with a criminal offence because I told the truth about this matter...and I suspect because I was an expert witness for two defendants.. I’ve got a lot more truth to tell yet but I’ll bide my time until Judge Neave completes his dismantling of this case ... now Inca has withdrawn the charges against me, not that they bothered me anyway.....it’s hard to intimidate someone who’s just being brutally honest and mocking your incompetence 

Besides, the RIU effectively breached the suppression orders when they immediately suspended the licenses of all those charged, after the media had announced in advance what was about to unfold...before those charges had even entered a plea... so charge the RIU, why don’t you ? 

This whole Inca exercise is a disgrace and in terms of abusing the principles of justice and wasting Police resources it’s rivalled only by the Teina Pora murder conviction, which like this “persecution” had absolutely no solid evidence to back it up 

Note to team Inca... don’t bother threatening me again... I have the right to free speech and your attempted intimidation & bullying of me is only adding to the narrative, in a less than positive way 

Bullying and intimidation comes from people who are scared Leo. Afraid of the real truth coming out about how incompetent they are.

Once the Judge has completed his summary, there has to be a story the media needs to get out to the wider public.

It just sums things up so well when the RIU is entirely responsible for bringing the game into so much disrepute...that they would attempt to charge someone with that for telling the truth.

People are lining up to tell their stories and I'm going to take great pleasure in telling them in great detail.

There will be a reckoning.