RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Victoria Racing

Is it just me or is Vic racing the most boring stuff from Aus.

Regardless of where it is, nothing ever seems to make any ground on the leading 2-3, maybe its just the wet track stuff from Vic that does it.

But since lockdown I have been watching a fair bit of it and its race after race of the same stuff regardless of venue.

10 minutes ago, barryb said:

Regardless of where it is, nothing ever seems to make any ground on the leading 2-3, maybe its just the wet track stuff from Vic that does it.

But since lockdown I have been watching a fair bit of it and its race after race of the same stuff regardless of venue.

To be fair they come from everywhere on the poly , one race  last week , last race on card 1 to 10 I think it was within a length. 

2 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

To be fair they come from everywhere on the poly , one race  last week , last race on card 1 to 10 I think it was within a length. 

Sorry overdone it a bit , 1 to 8  1.1 length , last race Pakenham on  Monday .

I like it, but got to say your observation appears to be fairly correct at the moment, has it something to do with some of the shorter straights there? Having said that Sandown play like that a fair bit, seems only the Saturday racing has many coming from behind?

5 hours ago, barryb said:

Look at Flemington on June 6. Eg, Race 7,8 and 9. All very good races and horses racing well on the pace and also coming from mid-field. I think it’s just the pace in the race that can determine the way the race pans out. Track conditions and the position of the rail are also a big factor - but you know that. Caulfield is a bias track regardless. If you’re not up front your chances are diminished! 

Winter isn't a great guide of Victorian racing. It's great in the spring (obviously) but racing everywhere in Aussie at the moment is boring.

The fields are average and there is very little excitement. It still beats betting on NZ races though, and Barry, you love betting on horses that settle in the first three right? Should be right up your alley.

40 minutes ago, NextPlease said:

Winter isn't a great guide of Victorian racing. It's great in the spring (obviously) but racing everywhere in Aussie at the moment is boring.

The fields are average and there is very little excitement. It still beats betting on NZ races though, and Barry, you love betting on horses that settle in the first three right? Should be right up your alley.

Absolutely love finding those on pacers, but the spectacle from Victoria with possibly the exception of Flemington is ordinary at best right now.

Caulfield, Sandown, Bendigo, Warnambool, Cranbourne & more are no better than watching Pukekohe from Saturday.

Compare it to the racing Trump has in Qld, esp Doomben, Eagle Farm & Sunshine where for some reason back markers can get to the middle of the track and fly home reapeatedly. Trump will know better than me as to why, something to do with track design and drainage that creates a fast lane in the middle of those venues. & then look at Ipswich and Toowoomba which are Victorian like.

Barry, I have been punting in Vic for many years.

Only track worth betting on is HQ. The rest are full of leaders bias's and it has been like that for many years

The serious Vic punters give Cranbourne, Ballarat and Pakenham a very wide berth, they simply watch

Agree Qld offers more consistent surfaces but the maxim up there is very much horses for courses as the surfaces have differences 

59 minutes ago, barryb said:

Absolutely love finding those on pacers, but the spectacle from Victoria with possibly the exception of Flemington is ordinary at best right now.

Caulfield, Sandown, Bendigo, Warnambool, Cranbourne & more are no better than watching Pukekohe from Saturday.

Compare it to the racing Trump has in Qld, esp Doomben, Eagle Farm & Sunshine where for some reason back markers can get to the middle of the track and fly home reapeatedly. Trump will know better than me as to why, something to do with track design and drainage that creates a fast lane in the middle of those venues. & then look at Ipswich and Toowoomba which are Victorian like.

You are correct. Sunshine Coast has a crown about 6 horses off the fence. FLEMINGTON has a similar scenario. The problem when you get to Doomben is when the rail is out - sometimes up to 9 metres! It’s a narrow track and when the rail is out, horses need to be in the first 2 or 3 pairs. The pace is dictated to suit them. I like Sandown as a track. Backmarkers can win there - and do often. But it gets down to the “pace” of the race at a lot of venues. At the moment, Eagle Farms new track is like concrete about 3 inches below the surface. They get their toes in and cut the surface but the firmness underneath is causing problems for horses - a lot of jarring up. I played golf with one of the top Vets servicing leading Stables and he’s getting a lot of concern from Eagle Farm due to the firmness. The best track in SE Qld at the moment is Caloundra. Wide track with a long straight. Kind to horses. 

1 hour ago, TurnyTom said:

Trumpy question please. The Gold Coast track strikes me as very indifferent, one day frontal next week favours midfielders racing off the fence, I find it very unpredictable

Any thoughts

Well, I know a few of the boys at the Gold Coast and they have their opinions of this sand track. When it’s a Good 4 (or thereabouts) it’s Ok (even allowing for the shortish straight) but you do need a Jockey who “knows the track”. Dan Griffiths is probably the best rider there. They can win from anywhere but best to be cautious when the rail is out a fair way - best to be on or near the lead. I rarely have a bet there outside the carnival, MM or if One of mine is racing or I get some mail from mates in the Toby Edmonds stable. I know Toby pretty well but he does keep his cards close to his chest. I saw him at golf on the thurs before Stradbroke day and wished him luck in the JJ Atkins with Water of Wisdom and his other good 2yo. I didn’t get a mention about Tyzone and he won the Straddie!! 

3 hours ago, Trump said:

You are correct. Sunshine Coast has a crown about 6 horses off the fence. FLEMINGTON has a similar scenario. The problem when you get to Doomben is when the rail is out - sometimes up to 9 metres! It’s a narrow track and when the rail is out, horses need to be in the first 2 or 3 pairs. The pace is dictated to suit them. I like Sandown as a track. Backmarkers can win there - and do often. But it gets down to the “pace” of the race at a lot of venues. At the moment, Eagle Farms new track is like concrete about 3 inches below the surface. They get their toes in and cut the surface but the firmness underneath is causing problems for horses - a lot of jarring up. I played golf with one of the top Vets servicing leading Stables and he’s getting a lot of concern from Eagle Farm due to the firmness. The best track in SE Qld at the moment is Caloundra. Wide track with a long straight. Kind to horses. 

Totally agree Sandown and Sunshine Coast . Sandown maybe it's the TV angles but I get a real sense of the speed they going as they rev up down that straight .

As for some of the other tracks I think it may be a case of midweek winter duffers in the main being unable to make ground so if miss a good spot they are gone , or if they have to be used even slightly to get out trouble they are spent.  Like Singapore how many loom up and find naught , they just are not very good horses .

Wednesday normally a decent day , to be honest doubt I'd have another dollar on NZ racing until October now GN Carnival gone .

22 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree Red, losing Winter Cup Day at CJC a massive loss, always a great day of winter racing, I rate it the top day on the CJC calendar, what a bugga

A top meeting TT.First one I went to  here very good horse called Rand won hurdles . Ended up in Ireland but suffered stop start career with injuries there I think .

Got to love Vic racing, totally the lowest form of racing in both countries.

Even on that biggggggggggg track of Flem the worst racing is evident.

Give me a bog anyday at Awapuni than this rubbish.

WTF has happened to Victorian racing, it really has decended to lows not seen for many a yr.

Are you sure you were watching FLEMINGTON yesterday BB? I watched most of the races and had a look at replays just in case I missed something. Winners were coming from everywhere. 4 races were won by horses coming from well back at the 800m peg. Others were won from being handy near the lead. The most dominant wins were by Cherry Tortoni, the top weight coming from back in the field and swamping them, and, Sircconi dominating from up front and sprinting away. I thought the racing was fair and there were no excuses. I backed Romancer who was 4th most of the journey but couldn’t sprint in the straight. Had its chance. Moss N Dale I also had an ew lick but also not good enough. 7 of the winners were also at single figure odds, so in the market.  think you are being unfair in your comments and you can keep your Awapuni bog. 

32 minutes ago, Trump said:

Are you sure you were watching FLEMINGTON yesterday BB? I watched most of the races and had a look at replays just in case I missed something. Winners were coming from everywhere. 4 races were won by horses coming from well back at the 800m peg. Others were won from being handy near the lead. The most dominant wins were by Cherry Tortoni, the top weight coming from back in the field and swamping them, and, Sircconi dominating from up front and sprinting away. I thought the racing was fair and there were no excuses. I backed Romancer who was 4th most of the journey but couldn’t sprint in the straight. Had its chance. Moss N Dale I also had an ew lick but also not good enough. 7 of the winners were also at single figure odds, so in the market.  think you are being unfair in your comments and you can keep your Awapuni bog. 

Cherry Tortoni is very good Trumpy. Payne will be looking at Guineas and maybe the Derby down the track. Could be anything.

A Shin Rook at least beat your one home....😆 thought it was a bit unlucky getting shut out around the 200 mark. Will follow on better ground.

My roughie Pauls Regret steamed into third at $5 a place that helped the day. Billie Egan is riding well and certainly helped this one. 

50 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Cherry Tortoni is very good Trumpy. Payne will be looking at Guineas and maybe the Derby down the track. Could be anything.

A Shin Rook at least beat your one home....😆 thought it was a bit unlucky getting shut out around the 200 mark. Will follow on better ground.

My roughie Pauls Regret steamed into third at $5 a place that helped the day. Billie Egan is riding well and certainly helped this one. 

It does look a nice type, but beware of the quality of fields on offer this time of the year.

47 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

On the turn I thought Romancer was going to win, in the 2nd pair after a cosy run. Not sure what to make of it. Either no good or not going well. Four runs into a campaign and a fighting 3rd at Flemington two starts back...Anyway, “IF” I stay with him he’s going to a $30+ shot so don’t have to bet big for a nice return! 

On 6/21/2020 at 11:38 PM, Trump said:

Look at Flemington on June 6. Eg, Race 7,8 and 9. All very good races and horses racing well on the pace and also coming from mid-field. I think it’s just the pace in the race that can determine the way the race pans out. Track conditions and the position of the rail are also a big factor - but you know that. Caulfield is a bias track regardless. If you’re not up front your chances are diminished! 

really? i remember a Jap bred horse coming from the clouds and the grandstand fence to beat the rails-hugging Rising Romance in a Caulfield Cup

7 hours ago, weasel57 said:

really? i remember a Jap bred horse coming from the clouds and the grandstand fence to beat the rails-hugging Rising Romance in a Caulfield Cup

How many years ago Weasel? The track at Caulfield has had a bit of a makeover and in recent times it has had quite a bias to horses on the pace.