RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter R S

Change can be good - sometimes

Lots of changes to TB racing in NZ, much of which is loudly criticized on this forum.

Heres my views on the good and the bad.

Positive: finally there seems to be some serious understanding that the structure had become top heavy, far too much management cost to support an industry which relies on grass roots participation and should reward those participants more and the “management” less.

Negative:  almost total loss of mainstream promotion of the industry, by that I mean to people who are not already involved. How can this be forward thinking and strategic?

The concept of July racing where fields are drawn based on nominated distance is fraught with danger- whoever conceived of such a plan way back in Level4 will either be a genius or a dunce, and the excessive concern about horse numbers available to race in July has already proven that part of the plan to be ignorant.

Interested in comment on these things.

Agree Nerula, totally. 

What stuns me is there is no marketing whatsoever in promoting the industry to new Clients, TV, radio, media, social media, TV adverts, radio adverts, newspaper articles, TV articles, race books, tote operators. 

All we seem to have is the failed website sucking the game dry

Words fail me, the inevitable outcome is just a matter of time

10 minutes ago, Peter R S said:

In Australia racing is currently being run successfully with no one on course. But racing is promoted, in the papers, broadcast TV, etc. 

It’s not so much about getting people on course, it’s about getting people involved.

Agree 100%. I play golf every Sat and like many of my fellow golfers, we watch the races on our mobiles (and have a punt) in between shots. Will certainly be doing that at 12:10pm EST at Doomben to watch our horse win :) 

9 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Here is another promotion idea,place any bet of any kind for any figure and if it loses the tab will give you your money back plus 25 percent,you would expect turnover to rocket up in no time at all😄😄

If you want incentives they should not be a cost or a burden like the money back/ free bets seem to be.Split the bookies off and let them stand or fall as a separate entity and tote bettors can have plenty of incentives "cost free" funded from the uncashed tickets ,unstruck jackpots, seeding pools as they do currently.

There's plenty of "online" options to promote the industry however that's a wild west place for anyone these days.

Ask any person who had to do Home Schooling / education during lockdown, they are over the internet and glad to be back to school seeing their friends to interact.

University students are also over it.

Perhaps one thing good that may come out of all this Covid 19 carry on is people returning to interacting face to face in person using traditional means.

You may find joining dots that someone has allowed the USA Gaming websites to gain control of NZ racing with there over the top betting platform.

Whoever signed off that contract belongs behind bars for Anti Competitive practices.

As an aside, those who may have resorted to listening to various Talk back radio may have noticed new blood callers calling in.

The first place Racing must return is Radio Trackside on Radio, not just via,live stream.

Open up avenues to have talk back conversations with all of the community as that's how society operates, not wall to wall race after race that some idiots introduced.

How many of those who have worked on Radio Trackside as presenters have offered to return to get the show up and running again?

Whilst we appreciate Peter & Des are ticking on in years they have the contacts and wisdom and should be helping pave the return to the good ole days.

People who contributed much to Racing including Phil Leishman, Lisa Chittick ( O'Sullivan) who are no longer here legacies must live on.

To go forwards we need to go backwards.

Look at their works for ideas how to present Racing, they started on PUBLIC TV channels. Not everyone wants to sit and use the internet for their entertainment.

Before people comment re TVNZ & Mediaworks current status, TVNZ always go through a staff review process with job losses at this time of year, it's not bc of Covid19 staff will lose jobs.

1 hour ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree Nerula, totally. 

What stuns me is there is no marketing whatsoever in promoting the industry to new Clients, TV, radio, media, social media, TV adverts, radio adverts, newspaper articles, TV articles, race books, tote operators. 

All we seem to have is the failed website sucking the game dry

Words fail me, the inevitable outcome is just a matter of time

None in Shopping malls/ centres either.

Get Business Associations involved with getting TAB SHOPS back in our community as a place to gather and contribute to a sport & recreation activity.

Utilise all those Social Media followers on Racing Focused websites.

Pick up a phone to TALK to people & invite them along,  don't just rely on the internet.

There's plenty of databases to utilise.

Reach out to those in Retirement / Aged Care facilities they have been fed up with been cooped up & have money to spend, encourage them to take their children & grand kids to a day at the Races to foster a new generation of Racegoers.

It only takes a phone call & visit to those in such places to get the ball rolling.

However talk to people who you may not usually do to in the street, ask how they are and discuss Racing, it might make their day and spark a conversation.

Nothing beats Bush Telegraph to COMMUNICATE.

Rita/Tab is still broke. The Government handout does not cover the deficit in the balance sheet and O/D. All the goverment have done is to provide some comfort to the ASB bank. They had little choice as the loss causing website build could be sheeted home to political appointees headed by "Teflon John" and Tory Glenda. It was never properly scoped. and was there a performance clause to the website builder that mitigate the 17m pa licence cost?

But thats history. However its known that people get overwhelmed when broke - and make poor decisions. So where to now?

Dean McKenzie if he is any good will at the resumption of Racing come out with a plan on how to grow Racing back. One would think there would be a focus on the customer experience and how that can be promoted.

The money men think they can keep the game alive from the 80% of the punt from 7% of punters. They are wrong because if you marginalise Owners they will walk En Masse - and there goes the whole thing Trainers, Jockeys and eventually Breeders.

I am closely connected to Owners and advise that they are gobsmacked at the stripping away of the means to rebuild the sport ie promotion. 

I would be happy if Dean comes out and says, "This is the situation, no bullshit, we are broke and we have taken away stuff, but we have a plan to rebuild and the foundation is promotion of a better product. As we get stronger we will strengthen that and tell you honestly how thats going.

Just have a plan and tell the truth.

6 minutes ago, Trump said:

Agree 100%. I play golf every Sat and like many of my fellow golfers, we watch the races on our mobiles (and have a punt) in between shots. Will certainly be doing that at 12:10pm EST at Doomben to watch our horse win :) 

Take note of this post.....nowdays even owners often will not attend a ho-hum raceday as their other interests take preference.

Like golf , other sports , family sports and often work.Giving up 6 hours plus travel to a raceday is a very low priority.

Other than a big or Group day it is unappealing especially in NZ where there are few if any household names in racing and overall the facilities are between average and atrocious....toilets , food etc.

About 18 years ago I was gobsmacked when I had a share in a very good horse who was racing at a major track and I got flights ,hotel ,rental car etc and I went to races and my trainer who had won the NZ premiership said our horse had got him to the races that day as he much preferred to be at home on the couch with Trackside , home comforts and a relaxing beer.Even the ones putting on the show for a living didn't want to be there !Next trip ,club officials told me an hour before first I could not go to stables to talk to trainer and see horse i.e..We don't want you here !

NZ racing lacks volume for the many pools available to bet into.....trebles , pick 6 etc were good when they started as pools were OK and the divis OK.

Too many options now....and many on here keep suggesting more.....crazy.

We are not Hong Kong.....but we are close and similar to Australia and their pools much better. Aussies and Asians still have horse betting in their DNA .

Kiwis don't......all my family and relations either hate racing or gave up on it in 1980's.Prior to that every workplace had a betting syndicate or Xmas club punt club among staff.I did a racing column in the rugby club newsletter.

Now LOTTO is in Kiwis DNA while sports betting attracts the interest of millennials and online stuff part of the attraction too !

Its all much easier to follow.

Around 2010 research found out that many kiwis thought racing corrupt etc.....Do we think the RIU has changed that ?Only 14% looked on racing positively.

We don't want to change ,as Aaron said above we keep going around in circles, we just take joy from past glories when racecourses overflowed cos the only show in town.

The TAB has gone broke , the Messara report has been dissected a million times ,we still seem to want to have the status quo so each town has a couple of meetings a year . Community importance, hahaha ,a meeting in June/July how many go ? 20 people ?Yes those in holiday venues in summer need keeping but the time is right ,its demanding us ,to start afresh with a clean sheet.Rationalisation , cut our cloth .Really just to save many of the jobs of those with lifeline interest in the Industry ....in breeding ,training driving etc.

We need to help ourselves....close the shitty venues ,let the court decide who gets the money ,get rid of the overpaid incompetents who have sped up the demise in recent years.

And get the show started again.....some trainers will be lost along with other workers ...sorry about that .

More Australians bet on Kiwi races than Kiwis , over 60% of betting done digitally [and growing] , more and more tickets sold on SST's.Asians love a punt !Build on these facts !

The good old days are gone......things are much better now !

Lets start living...again.

In recent times Super rugby crowds have been about 10,000 at Eden Park....40,000 there tomorrow.Any TAB or SST's available there.Doubt it !

None of us is as good as all of us !

What hope is there ? ... it's been broken for years, real problems now, the government have never ever given a toss about the racing industry, the people running it have always been incompetent outcomes have proven this. There is no plan to recover, actually has there ever been a plan ? .. or one that remotely looked like working?

Let's be honest this is one sport the Aussies kick our arse at, despite the great horses, jockeys and particularly trainers we have in this country, the only chance they have is to become Aussies.

@tasman man 11

Modelling used in public perception of Racing needs to be brought under scrutiny, just like it is with Covid19.

It's the same stupid ACADOOMICS who are behind fudgin up the harmony in society.

You will be pleased to hear Problem Gambling Max Abbot has GONE .

Questions must be asked of the Research Papers and "modelling" used how the conclusions have been reached about the public perception of racing.

What questions were asked?

Were they a good balance or with a negative slant?

There's more than one way to flip the fat out of the trough.

Google Scholar has many "research pprs" from those who have had sway with the decision makers and those pple must be held to account for causing detriment to those in racing.

Bring on a few legal cases to get case law precedents to hold university students & policy advisors to account.

50 minutes ago, meomy said:

@tasman man 11

Google Scholar has many "research pprs" from those who have had sway with the decision makers and those pple must be held to account for causing detriment to those in racing.

Bring on a few legal cases to get case law precedents to hold university students & policy advisors to account.

Any chance you could give us an example of that meomy? And I'm not clear what students might have to do with it?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Any chance you could give us an example of that meomy? And I'm not clear what students might have to do with it?

@Leggy have started a topic  of it's own - along the lines of Research undertaken that's harmed the Racing industry.

Professors at universities who undertaken research teach students and works are "rubber stamped " and refer back to the originating Author.

If the works are flawed or not questioned for it's accuracy or inaccuracies the crap carries on..hence also years of harm done to our beloved Racing industry.

3 hours ago, Trump said:

I've always thought aligning racing more with golf has possibilities. I realize that some clubs have golf tournaments day before but perhaps a putting comp at the races as well as a golf expo of equipment where one can tryout a golf driving electronic machine. Any activity to keep restless patrons amused.

Run a few Horse Expos and ensure ALL city children & teachers attend.

Perhaps they could work together more with A&P show organisers who have also been hit hard and cancelled events bc of that flippin Covid19 (Computer originated viral infectious disease) .

Just looking at a book two over three on good time sugar nz tab celebrating 50 years, has a 1978 diagram explaining tab income distributed  dividends 80.20 govt duty 9.00c net operating costs 5.74c surplus to nzba 3.56c levy for stakes and amenities 1.00c off course betting development. 50c, anyone no the make up these days.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, Shad said:

Just looking at a book two over three on good time sugar nz tab celebrating 50 years, has a 1978 diagram explaining tab income distributed  dividends 80.20 govt duty 9.00c net operating costs 5.74c surplus to nzba 3.56c levy for stakes and amenities 1.00c off course betting development. 50c, anyone no the make up these days.

60c Chief executives salary.😁