RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

I'll consider the Irish Derby weekend in due course - a remarkable performance by TRUESHAN to win the Plate perhaps the domestic highlight.

Looking ahead to the coming weekend, the feature is the Eclipse at Sandown over 2000m - eleven have been entered and favourite is Jockey Club winner VADENI who has been supplemented and is 9/4 in front of NATIVE TRAIL who was runner up in both the English and Irish 2000 Guineas, at 3/1.

BAY BRIDGE, runner up in the Prince of Wales is 7/2 with ALENQUER, the Tattersalls Gold Cup winner at 5s while last year's winner MISHRIFF is 8s.

The main supporting domestic race is the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks over 2400m at Haydock while on Sunday we have the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud, also over 2400m.  Not sure this will be the strongest renewal but we'll know more later in the week.

There's also the German Derby at Hamburg - I don't normally mention German racing but it would be remiss of me not to remind everyone the Arc was won by a German horse last year.

Final declarations are through for Saturday's racing.

Sandown stages the Group 1 Eclipse over 2000m - the first serious clash between the classic generation and the older horses and a first of a series of such races including the Juddmonte and the Irish Champion leading to the Champion Stakes at Ascot in mid October.

Just 6 go to post but all bar one are Group 1 winners and the whole field is rated between 118 and 125 so this is a proper championship race. Incredible as it may seem, LORD NORTH, former winner of the Prince of Wales and twice winner of the Dubai Turf, is lowest rated at 118. He faded tamely in the Prince of Wales at Ascot this year and I fear his best days are behind him.

On 120, we have ALENQUER who won the Tattersalls Gold Cup last time (Hardwicke winner BROOME was well behind). He was a close sixth in the Sheema Classic and won the Classic Trial in 2021 over this course and distance beating a couple of Godolphin types in ADAYAR and YIBIR who have gone on to be more than decent in their own right.

ALENQUER has a really good chance and I think he'll beat 121-rated BAY BRIDGE who was runner up in the Prince of Wales but has yet to win a Group 1 and I'm just not convinced he can dine at the very top table which is what this is.

As said, the Eclipse is the clash of the generations and two 3-y-o are in the field and both are very strong contenders - NATIVE TRAIL (121) comes here having been runner up in the English 2000 Guineas and won the Irish 2000 Guineas. I know Charlie Appleby has always seen this one as a potential 2000m horse (CORROEBUS more the pure miler) and stepping up in trip seems a logical move. 

VADEMI (123) is a classic winner having romped home in the Jockey Club by five lengths last time. but I've two issues - first, I'm not sure of the depth of the field (the Godolphin MODERN NEWS was third so presumably Appleby knows where he is between NATIVE TRAIL and VADEMI), second, the ground at Chantilly was soft and in the absence of rain, it's going to be much quicker. It may well be VADEMI will relish the quicker ground and if so he'll be very dangerous but it's a risk.

Top rated is MISHRIFF off 125 - remember him? Winner of the Saudi Cup in 2021 and demolished ALENQUER by 6 lengths in last year's Juddmonte. He was beaten on slow ground in this last year (behind the top 3-y-o ST MARK'S BASILICA and a certain ADDEYBB) but ran unaccountably badly in this year's Saudi Cup. Without that, he'd have a big chance.

The 3-y-o get no less than 10 lbs from the older horses and after a period when few 3-y-os turned up for this race, it's now back in fashion. The weight concession is a huge advantage and with doubts over the Jockey Club form, I'm happy to be on NATIVE TRAIL at 16/5.

The supporting UK race is the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks at Haydock where heavy rain tonight has turned the ground Soft. It's a clash of the classic and older generations as well 

8 runners but just two 3-y-os and while KAWIDA' fifth in the Oaks wasn't too bad, the form took a knock last weekend. The older fillies dominate the market - FREE WIND ended her 3-y-o career winning the Park Hill by six lengths but that was over 2800m on fast ground and I'm not convinced about the drop in trip or the ground first time up. ESHAADA was second in last year's Ribblesdale and won the Fillies and Mares on Champions Day but that suggests she loves Ascot and her form elsewhere isn't so good. She had a nice blow when fifth at Newbury on seasonal bow and will doubtless come on a lot.

MY idea of the winner is SEA LA ROSA who won a Group 3 over course and distance last time and for whom this looks an entirely logical next step.

It's also soft at Saint Cloud where 10 have been entered for the Grand Prix over 2400m on Sunday. Last year's Lancashire Oaks winner ALPINISTA went on to win three German Group 1 races through the autumn - this will be more of a test. MARE AUSTRALIS and BUBBLE GIFT were first and second in the Grand Prix de Chantilly last time. Final declarations for this tomorrow 

No British runners in the German Derby at Hamburg for which 20 are declared but a number of British jockeys including Frankie Dettori, Hollie Doyle and Richard Kingscote have rides.

A belated look back at last weekend's action in the UK and Ireland.

Saturday saw the Irish Derby at The Curragh and since @scooby3051has already posted the video, I won't put it up again. This was a dominant performance by WESTOVER but one or two aspects have left me a little underwhelmed. TUESDAY was of course very disappointing - was it too quick after Epsom or was she held up too far off a pace which meant they weren't going to come back? Perhaps she doesn't really see out an end to end galloping 2400m whereas Epsom played more to her strengths in being a more tactical race.

WESTOVER beat PIZ BADILE by seven lengths but there was 15 lengths between them at Epsom so I don't know how much you can say WESTOVER has improved since Epsom? I don't think this year's Irish Derby was a strong renewal but the form will be put to the test if WESTOVER goes for the King George at Ascot on July 23rd.

Currently, he's 4s behind DESERT CROWN (11/8) and EMILY UPJOHN (7/2).

At Newcastle, TRUESHAN put up a remarkable performance to win the Northumberland Plate. This is an open handicap over 3200m but by virtue of his Group 1 wins, TRUESHAN carried 67 kgs and give the thick end of two stone to the runner up and a half length beating. It's rare we see Group 1 performers in handicaps up here and this was a tough effort - he goes to Goodwood next followed by the Cadran but I'd love to see him at Flemington on a really wet track (it's just another handicap).

Elsewhere, I was really taken by the 3-y-o filly SENSE OF DUTY in the 1200m Chipchase - she's got a huge future having treated some seasoned sprinters with disdain. At Newmarket, Frankie Dettori was as ever the centre of attention - he had one ride and one winner on the juvenile filly LEZOO - I mention this because LEZOO is from the first Northern Hemisphere crop of Zoustar who will be well known to you all.

On to Sunday and the Group 1 Pretty Polly for the fillies and mares over 2000m at The Curragh. Quite an open race with English raider MY ASTRA going off favourite:

Pretty Polly Stakes: 

LA PETITE COCO had ended 2021 beating LOVE in the Group 2 Blandford and you could argue LOVE never really recovered from the brutal battle with AUDARYA in the Prince of Wales. Nonetheless, LA PETITE COCO has clearly returned in good heart and this was a first Group 1 for trainer Billy Twomey and thoughts after were on Paris in October and a tilt at the biggest race of them all.

MY ASTRA lost little in defeat and heads for the Nassau next at Goodwood.

Twomey's celebrations were cut short when his ROSSCARBERY, who ran a hug race in third, was disqualified when jockey Wayne Lordan weighed in 5 lbs light. There's some leeway for weight loss up here, especially in summer, but this was a lot - connections are going to appeal.

THUNDER KISS inherited third and just as a word of caution she finished just under three lengths behind LA PETITE COCO but last autumn over 2400m at Cork the gap was seven lengths. It may well be LA PETITE COCO is more effective at 2400m but she's decent at the shorter trip.

Confirming nine stand their ground for Sunday's Grand Prix de Saint Cloud and it's a surprise to see HURRICANE LANE in the field.

I'll be blunt - he looked to be carrying plenty of "condition" in the Hardwicke and those who took the short odds knew their fate some way out. He basically had a good blowout but it's surprising to see him back just 15 days later. The ground and trip are ideal and while you could argue there's little between him and LONE EAGLE on last year's Irish Derby form that was a long time ago.

I suspect if he's close t peak fitness he'll be too good for ALPINISTA and the locals but it'll be interesting to see how he looks in the paddock.

Looking further ahead, the July Meeting kicks off at Newmarket next Thursday and it's often the first occasion the Royal Ascot form gets a good testing.

Day One has two Group 2 races - the July Stakes over 1200m for the juveniles. 12 have been entered including Coventry runner up PERSIAN FORCE and Windsor Castle winner LITTLE BIG BEAR.

The Princess of Wales over 2400m has 10 entries. Early favourite is Hardwicke runner up MOSTAHDAF just in front of YIBIR who, following his second in the Sheema Classic, was overturned at 1/4 in the Jockey Club Stakes and last time was only third in the Man O'War at Belmont.

HAMISH won the Ormonde at Chester but you'd think he might want a touch further.

Looking back at an interesting and controversial weekend up here.

Starting on Saturday and with a crowd of just 9,500 (30% down on the 2019 number), Sandown wasn't quite packed to the rafters for the Eclipse over 2000m, the first significant clash between the generations at Group 1 level.

Just six went to post but with the lowest rated 118, this was a field long on quality if short on quantity. The two classic representatives were Jockey Club winner VADEMI and the Irish 2000 Guineas winner NATIVE FLAIR. They faced Tattersalls Gold Cup winner ALENQUER, Saudi Cup and Juddmonte winner MISHRIFF, dual Dubai Turf and former Prince of Wales winner LORD NORTH and BAY BRIDGE, who was yet to win a Group 1 but had run second in this year's renewal of the Prince of Wales.

Eclipse: 

There's an old saying - there's no point getting older if you don't get wiser. Maybe one day I'll understand that.

This was a supremely tactical race, more a French race than an English race and we saw at Chantilly how quick VADEMI can accelerate once asked and that burst of speed 300m down just got him home. It was a classic French ride from the Belgian Christophe Soumillon who remains one of the best at his craft in the right circumstances.

Was MISHRIFF unlucky? I don't know if he would have won off a clear run but it would have been close. Sometimes, horses actually enjoy the hustle and bustle and it makes them run - MISHRIFF was certainly back to somewhere near his best. 

The first two out were the last two home and were well held in the end. To be honest, BAY BRIDGE's limitations were exposed at Ascot and I suspect ALENQUER would have preferred slower turf - the latter in particular is one to follow if and when the rains come.

LORD NORTH didn't have the best of runs up the rail and collided with NATIVE TRAIL just past the post. For me, he was just found out in the final 100m and he may not be quite the force of old.

I was never happy with how NATIVE TRAIL was travelling at any stage - he just didn't seem to let himself down fully on the quick turf. Up the hill, he came to have any chance but couldn't quicken away from these - perhaps the runs in the two Guineas had taken more out of him. You wouldn't say he didn't stay - he was beaten half a length and conceded second in the last 10m to MISHRIFF. The Juddmonte seems the logical option but it looks another very hot race over this trip.

MISHRIFF was beaten by a Jockey Club winner in this last year and the same happened again this year but on the quicker ground he got much closer and many will argue, but for being hampered at a crucial moment, he would have won. He was dominant in what was a substandard Juddmonte last year but if BAAEED and perhaps EMILY UPJOHN show up at York, it will be a much hotter race but he's in great form and fully deserves another go at the top table.

VADEMI became only the first French winner of the Eclipse since 1960 (Trepan was first past the post in 1976 but subsequently disqualified). After ST MARK'S BASILICA last year, it seems the Jockey Club is re-emerging as a serious race. VADEMI won't go for the Arc but the Juddmonte or the Irish Champion seem logical targets and wherever he goes he will have to be respected. 

I suspect the Juddmonte won't be a tactical race like the Eclipse but if it is, watching BAAEED and VADEMI quicken together 400m down will be informative to say the very least.

For all VADEMI's performance dominated the main racing press, two performances by fillies were perhaps of more overall significance. I wouldn't normally put up a video of a Group 2 race but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the Lancashire Oaks:

Lancashire Oaks: 

An extraordinary performance by FREE WIND who was basically cut up by Jim Crowley's mount ESHAADA but rallied, regained momentum and in the end ran down SEA LA ROSA quite easily to win by a two and a half lengths - all this from not being on the track since last September.

To stretch credulity further, the Stewards looked at the interference and a jockey was banned - NOT Crowley but winning rider Havlin who got 5 days for careless riding. Needless to say, the jockey intends to appeal.

FREE WIND goes well on soft ground so the Vermeille and perhaps the Arc on the horizon for this one. I watched in agony as my cash went down on SEA LA ROSA but I thought she finished weakly and was all out to hold the rallying ESHAADA.

George Strawbridge is one of our most well-known owner/breeders as is Kirsten Rausing and her star older filly ALPINISTA made her seasonal return in the Group 1 Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud over 2400m on drying but still slow ground.

Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud: 

Luke Morris is one of the strongest jockeys in the UK weighing room but probably not one of the most stylish but he can really galvanise a horse and ALPINISTA responded to every call and won this despite going via the car park down the outside. BARATTI was one of the first under pressure but got a peach of a ride from Maxime Guyon who kept him close to the fence and while he didn't quite get home, he ran a strong second. 

BUBBLE GIFT was no match for MARE AUSTRALIS in the Grand Prix de Chantilly but improved for this quicker ground and stronger pace - they ran the 2400m in 2 minutes 26.15 seconds - that's 4 seconds faster than Standard, a track record and shows how running a race at "British" pace is so much different from the usual French races. BUBBLE GIFT's connections should look at some British 2400m races on this evidence.

Unfortunately for the visitors, either the murderous pace or other factors left HURRICANE LANE and THIRD REALM trailing the field. In the case of the former, I think Charlie Appleby has made a right horlicks of this horse's preparation - he brought him back undercooked for the Hardwicke and then, just 15 days later, turned him out again. I just don't think this has done the horse any favours at all and I'll steer clear unless he has a proper break. 

As for ALPINISTA, she may bump into FREE WIND in the Vermeille but the Yorkshire Oaks is on the agenda (there doesn't seem to be a Snowfall or Enable among the 3-y-o middle distance fillies yet) as well. From there, to the Arc perhaps, speaking of which last year's hero TORQUATOR TASSO won the Group 2 Hansa Preis at Hamburg yesterday. After a moderate seasonal debut, this was a real return to form for the 2021 Arc hero who will bid to follow up in October. 

Free Wind did well to pick herself up as you say, but not sure there was a gap there and presumably the stewards felt the same. Could have been nasty.

Certainly created some discussion around the penalty though and no doubt it is not over yet.

Recounting an eventful success, he said: "I found myself in behind Jim and I thought he was the one to track. His horse just drifted off the rail a little.

"I gave Jim half a furlong to see if he was going to go back in, but I felt he was off the rail long enough. The gap was there so I sent my filly through it and she was going well. As I was halfway in [the gap] it started to get tight. But credit to the filly – she organised herself and picked up."

But the stewards did not see the race as Havlin did and banned him for five days, judging that his pursuit of the closing gap was careless riding.

The race was a dawdle and dash and the time of 2.37.89 proved that so will be interesting to see if any of these go on.

Updating from Saturday, Havlin's ban has been quashed in advance of any actual appeal by the BHA who will be desperately hoping that's the end of the matter.

In other news, the Gosden-Dettori reconciliation seems to be gathering pace - Dettori will ride both INSPIRAL in the Falmouth on Friday and EMILY UPJOHN in the Irish Oaks. 

I suspect Gosden has given Dettori a rap over the knuckles - Dettori has become accustomed to being a "part time" jockey but Gosden wats more from his undeclared stable jockey and it was interesting to read Dettori turned up early to morning work to ride EMILY UPJOHN and I suspect he has been reminded of his responsibilities as top jockey at Clarehaven Stables.

Dettori, I think, got a little lazy (shall we say) and I suspect Gosden has seen this as the reason for some poor rides and misjudgements particularly at Ascot.

A busy week coming with the Newmarket July Festival beginning on Thursday and decent cards at both Ascot and York on what is known as "Super Saturday" or "bad race planning" if you prefer given the following week is one of the weakest of the summer.

Final declarations are through for the first day at Newmarket where the ground is watered Good to Firm. Two Group 2 races head the opening afternoon's action.

8 go in the July Stakes over 1200m for the juvenile colts and it looks a real head-to-head between Coventry runner up PERSIAN FORCE and Windsor Castle winner LITTLE BIG BEAR. The latter handed a real gamble over the 1000m but this is 200m further up a hill and we know PERSIAN FORCE handles the trip for all he was just denied by BRADSELL in the Coventry. 

BRAVE NATION got badly hampered when fourth in the Norfolk and I rate him a real each way bet at 8s against the front two.

6 go in the 2400m Princess of Wales for the older horses. Again, it looks on paper a match - YIBIR was excellent last year ending up winning the Breeders Cup Turf and he lost nothing in defeat in the Sheema Classic in March but his last two efforts have been modest - he was turned over at 1/4 in the Jockey Club Stakes on the other Newmarket track and was only third in the Man O'War at Belmont so this could be one for MOSTAHDAF who was no match for BAY BRIDGE in the Brigadier Gerard but was on his first try at 2400m was a fine second in the Hardwicke. That is very strong form and he's my idea of the winner.

We'll get Friday's declarations tomorrow but the Group 1 Falmouth has 11 entries and INSPIRAL is 4/11 - no surprise after her Coronation Stakes romp. The supporting race is the Group 2 Duchess of Cambridge for the juvenile fillies over 1200m.

Saturday or "Super Saturday" as it's known up here, has quality but spread out. 

16 have been entered for the Group 1 July Cup over 1200m for which Commonwealth Cup winner PERFECT POWER is 7/4 favourite. He faces the horse he beat into second at Ascot, FLAMING RIB but also the first three from the Platinum Jubilee in NAVAL CROWN, CREATIVE FORCE and ARTORIUS.

The supporting Group 2 at Newmarket is the Superlative over 1400m for the juveniles. Chesham failure ALFRED MUNNINGS faces a strong Godolphin challenge while at Ascot the Group 2 Summer Mile has 10 entries headed by Queen Anne fourth CHINDIT. 

Sunday sees the Group 1 Jean Prat at Deauville over 1400m.

More details as the week goes on. 

Final declarations are through for Friday's meeting at Newmarket.

The ground remains Good to Firm and just five stand in the Falmouth for which INSPIRAL, re-united with Frankie Dettori, is 1/4.

Her performance in the Coronation was one of the highlights of the Royal meeting and if she's in that kind of form and you've got £4,000 lying around you'll have £5,000 before long.

She holds PROSPEROUS VOYAGE and SANDRINE on Ascot form and the French raider SIBILA SPAIN may chase her home. It all went wrong for the latter at Ascot where she was withdrawn but her Muguet win was reasonable and she was fourth in the 2021 Diane.

It's just hard to see how any of them can live with INSPIRAL based on what we saw at Ascot.

6 go in the supporting Group 2 Duchess of Cambridge for the juvenile fillies over 1200m. LEZOO looked good when winning over course and distance under Dettori a few days ago but she'll need to improve to beat Queen Mary runner up MAYLANDSEA and you couldn't rule out Albany runner up MAWJ who looked in trouble at halfway but ran home strongly. I just wonde rif she might be better at 1400m but she'll be finishing well up the hill.

In other news, Chester Cup winner CLEVELAND has moved to Joseph O'Brien with talk of a Melbourne Cup tilt. He just failed when well punted for a handicap at Ascot over 2800m. 

Declarations are through for Saturday's action.

Small fields in some of the quality races but 14 go in the Group 1 July Cup over 1200m at Newmarket.

This looks a strong renewal with the top four in the market split by 2 lbs on the ratings. Joint top are the 1-2 from the Platinum Jubilee, NAVAL CROWN and CREATIVE FORCE. The former had arguably the run of the race down the stands side which, after two or three days of being shunned by the riders, became the place to be on the final day. CREATIVE FORCE was more centre of the course and we know he's effective over 1400m so I think he will reverse the places with the Platinum Jubilee winner.

On 117 we have second favourite ARTORIOUS from Australia who was third in the Platinum Jubilee and many think, had he not lost momentum at a critical point in his run, he might have won. He was as far back as CREATIVE FORCE at halfway and both seem like finishers over this trip.

The problem for them all is the 3-y-o Commonwealth Cup winner PERFECT POWER who was a Group 1 winning juvenile and did it well at Ascot beating FLAMING RIB. PERFECT POWER gets 6 lbs from the older horses and we know he sees out 1400m having won the Greenham so will he have the speed to hold the finishers up the hill? That is essentially the question of this race - very good 3-y-os can win this and PERFECT POWER has all the credentials though at 5/2 he won't be burdened by my cash. It's a great race and one to enjoy.

Just five go in the Group 2 Superlative over 1400m for the juvenile colts. No Ballydoyle runner and Godolphin may have a good type in VICTORY DANCE, a son of Dubawi, who was expected to win on debut and did so albeit still showing plenty of inexperience. LION OF WAR is no mug but I'm told Charlie Appleby rates VICTORY DANCE and sees him already as a classic ontender for next year.

Seven go in the Group 2 Summer Mile at Ascot. CHINDIT was fourth in the Queen Anne but there's no Baaeed in this line up. MY OBERON beat MODERN NEWS a nose at Windsor a fortnight ago and there won't be much between them again. MUTASAABEQ was runner up in the Group 2 Sandown Mile in April but slightly disappointed in the Diomed at Epsom - I can excuse any horse not handling the unique configuration of the Downs. What will help CHINDIT is this is the Round Mile not the Straight Mile so it's less of a stamina test - I take him to prevail but like the others they are fighting for the scraps left by Baaeed,

We'll get final declarations for the Jean Prat tomorrow but eleven have been entered including the Pouliches winner MANGOUSTINE and the St James's Palace runner up LUSAIL.

The first day of the Newmarket July Meeting took place on ground described as Good to Firm and it was clearly fast summer ground.

The card featured two Group 2 races - the July Stakes over 1200m for the juveniles looked an interesting clash between Ascot form lines on paper but the little withdrawal of LITTLE BIG BEAR rather ruined it as a contest. Coventry runner up PERSIAN FORCE went off 1/2 and won as he was entitled to. Trainer Richard Hannon makes no secret of his admiration for the horse and sees him as a real Guineas possible next year.

PERSIAN FORCE is by Mehmas out of a Lope de Vega mare and that makes him a full to GUBBASS in the same stable who has not really progressed as a 3-y-o and has been gelded so a waring sign or two for those tempted to play the ante post market. The outsider SHOW RESPECT had been eight lengths behind PERSIAN FORCE at Ascot but that was cut to a length and a half and the second certainly ran with merit. MYSTERIOUS NIGHT was third but didn't look anything special while BRAVE NATION faded tamely up the hill to come in last.

PERSIAN FORCE might go next for the Morny before the Gimcrack.

The Princess of Wales over 2400m also looked a match between Breeders Cup Turf winner YIBIR and Hardwicke runner up MOSTAHDAF. Charlie Appleby had also left GLOBAL STORM in the race and his role to set a strong pace soon became evident. YIBIR does nothing quickly and stayed on dourly to lead close home and win going  away by two lengths from LIVING LEGEND, who appreciated the searching gallop (2 minutes 28.91 seconds for the 2400m so a notch below Standard) after a moderate seventh in the Hardwicke.

MOSTAHDAF just didn't get home and faded to be my second expensive last placing of the day. 

It's clear some horses have not come on for Ascot and there's a warning there - some parts of the form seem to stand, others don't.

11 go in Sunday's Jean Prat over 1400m at Deauville where the ground is described as Good.

That will be quick enough for some of the locals - LUSAIL's second in the St James's Palace and TENEBRISM's fourth in the Coronation look the best form on offer. MANGOUSTINE won the Pouliches but was well held in the Coronation.

LIGHT INFANTRY was 50/1 when ninth in the 2000 Guineas on debut and some improvement would put him on the fringes. 

MODERN GAMES but TEXAS in the Poulains but was no match for VADEMI in the Jockey Club but we know what the latter did last weekend so that doesn't read too bad.

This isn't easy to call but I remember MODERN GAMES winning the Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf on a sharp 1600m on firm ground and I just think he may be good enough.

Day Two at the July Meeting - the first day is the traditional Ladies' Day and the second has now become Gentlemen's Day.

Unfortunately for some younger gentlemen, "smart" seems to mean dressing like an extra from "Peaky Blinders".

For a day ostensibly for the boys, the feature Group 1 was very much for the girls, the Falmouth over 1600m. INSPIRAL, who had returned in style with an impressive win in the Coronation, was backed in to 1/7 for what looked little more than a formality on paper.

Falmouth Stakes: 

If you'd had £7,000 on INSPIRAL you'd have still felt okay 400m out but she flattened up the hill and Rob Hornby got a second run out of PROSPEROUS VOYAGE to nab the spoils.

Redemption in spades for Hornby who had been jocked off Derby third WESTOVER when the latter ran in the Irish Derby. He kept his counsel then but he couldn't have sent a clearer message to any detractors and he was justifiably jubilant after the race. Let's not forget PROSPEROUS VOYAGE had chased home CACHET in the 1000 Guineas on the Rowley Mile track but flopped in the Coronation finishing nine lengths behind INSPIRAL.

That's some reversal of form - nearly 11 lengths - so how to explain? There were some pre-race concerns about the ground for INSPIRAL and I suspect she found it plenty quick enough but the first two days have been a curiousity. Some horses have backed up their Ascot runs (PERSIAN FORCE), others who flopped at Ascot have improved considerably and some who ran well at Ascot have just failed at Newmarket.

I do think, as Charlie Appleby discovered with HURRICANE LANE, some horses coming back off a long spell can't run twice in quick succession. It was 21 days since INSPIRAL won at Ascot and I think that took more out of her than seemed apparent and she ran flat here (relatively speaking). Leaving her for Deauville at the end of the month might have been a better move. Up here, it's called the "bounce" - running horses twice quick after a long break rarely works out as you think. The belief is the horse improves for the run and comes back better second time but if the run is too quick, that doesn't happen.

SANDRINE was another who didn't run well at Ascot (seventh in the Coronation) and the form reversal with her and the winner was much less.

Results like that are why some British bookmakers spend their Januaries in Florida, Hawaii or following the England cricket team.

Earlier, MAWJ had followed up her Albany second with a win in the Duchess of Cambridge but she had to survive a stewards' enquiry as Ray Dawson, riding the winner, allowed her to lean left on to Frankie Dettori on LEZOO. It was deemed not to have affected the result though Dawson got a 3-day holiday for careless.

MAYLANDSEA, runner up in the Queen Mary, dropped tamely away to finish last.

The 2800m handicap was a very rough race and unfortunately two horses sustained fatal injuries which prompted further claims the ground was too quick and needed further watering.

At York, Commonwealth Cup third FLOTUS was an emphatic winner of a 1200m Group 3 for fillies and mares and I suspect she'll be back at the top table later in the season.

The review of last weekend to follow shortly - time for a quick look at the weekend ahead up here and needless to say it's much quieter.

Saturday's feature is the Irish Oaks over 2400m at The Curragh where the ground is officially Good.

11 have been entered and Epsom runner up EMILY UPJOHN s 1/2 to follow up. Her travails at Epsom have been well documented but she's had a decent time off and on her Musidora form has a huge chance.

TUESDAY was disappointing against the colts in the Derby but this should be easier - however, the main threat could be MAGICAL LAGOON who won admittedly a weak renewal of the Ribblesdale at Ascot but that was a nice step forward. That said, she'll need to improve again to take on the proven Group 1 fillies.

Sunday sees two Group 2 races at The Curragh but in the UK it's a weekend for quantity more than quality.

The crowd attendance numbers for Saturday were troubling for racing's leaders - while York's crowd, at 26,500, was only slightly down on 2019, the numbers at Ascot, Chester, Newmarket and Hamilton were all much lower. Only Salisbury bucked the trend with a rise but their Ladies' Evening is the most popular meeting of the whole year at the Wiltshire venue.

On a scorching Saturday, the final day of the Newmarket July Meeting was the highlight of a busy afternoon.

The feature was the Group 1 July Cup over 1200m - the second in the series of championship races over this distance from the Platinum Jubilee through the Haydock Sprint Trophy to the Champions Day Sprint. As so often, the July Cup is the best clash between the generations and the first three from the Platinum Jubilee, NAVAL CROWN, CREATIVE FORCE and the Australian ARTORIUS took on the first, second and fourth from the Commonwealth Cup - PERFECT POWER, FLAMING RIB and CADOMOSTO. Plenty of quality through the field with Haydock Sprint Trophy winner EMARAATY ANA one of the outsiders and a fascinating filly in ALCOHOL FREE, past winner of the Coronation and Sussex trying her hand at sprinting for the first time since her juvenile days.

July Cup: 

A wonderful training performance by Andrew Balding and an unbelievable second Group 1 in 24 hours for jockey Rob Hornby as ALCOHOL FREE in truth won this fairly easily. I thought she would struggle on the quick ground but she turned the Ascot form round with NAVAL CROWN to the tune of four and a bit lengths. She had won the Cheveley Park back in 2020 as a juvenile but had trained as a classic mile filly last year. Her wins in the Coronation and Sussex wee both achieved on wet tracks and this was a revelation which has seen hr pushed back up to the rating of 119 which she last had after the Sussex. I presume they'll keep her to this and head for the Haydock Park Sprint - I think she's tailor made for the Breeders Cup Mile on this evidence and clearly will be a hugely popular broodmare when the time comes.

NAVAL CROWN went as if pursued by the hounds of hell and with the July Course riding quick it was much more a speed track than Ascot and he so nearly brought off the big sprinting double but he bumped into one (as they say). They ran the 1200m in 1:09.47 which is pretty quick over here. I'd love to see him in the Nunthorpe.

This wasn't the day to be finishing late off the pace - Spencer kept ARTORIUS closer to the gallop than at Ascot and he ran home strongly up the hill to be just two lengths off the winner in third and to be a notch closer to NAVAL CROWN than he'd been at Ascot. The Maurice de Gheest looks obvious but the ground would be a worry - it's never as firm in France as it was at Newmarket. Haydock might be an option but again the ground is going to be the question.

The first three all finished on the far side and I just wonder if that accentuated their superiority - those nearer the stands rail never got home at all.

CREATIVE FORCE ran okay in fourth - it all happened a bit quick and I'd love to see him over a bit further.

PERFECT POWER finished seventh, beaten five lengths and Christophe Soumillon reported the horse was never happy on the ground - slower turf at Haydock will help but he'll do well to run down the winner. He finished in front of FLAMING RIB (9th) but a clear victory for the older horses this year which goes against the grain of recent runnings.

The supporting Group 2 Superlative saw the Sangster colours grace the Newmarket winners enclosure with ISAAC SHELBY who is by Night of Thunder and the first foal of an unraced mare. He fought off Godolphin's VICTORY DANCE and the pair drew four lengths clear. They are both clearly decent types and I wonder if we'll see them clash again at either Goodwood or the Champagne at Doncaster.

At Ascot, the Group 2 Summer Mile was slightly devalued by the late scratching of MODERN NEWS but Queen Anne fourth CHINDIT just held off MUTABAASEQ in a close finish. CHINDIT has seen plenty of the backside of Baaeed this year and I wonder if the Marois rather than the Sussex might be the aim.

Sunday's big race in France was the Jean Prat at Deauville. 

Prix Jean Prat: 

There's a reason why Ryan Moore is one of the best jockeys in the world - he is patient to the extreme. He waited until the last possible second to produce TENEBRISM and she had enough speed to grab and hold the lead at the end of this 1390m race.

TENEBRISM had been well held in both the 1000 Guineas and the Coronation and perhaps the flatter track and slightly shorter trip helped as she didn't look to quite see out the 1600m. I wonder if she'll end up in the Foret or perhaps Aidan will be tempted by the Matron at the much easier Leopardstown track.

A real bunch for the minor places with the distances from second to sixth reading Short Neck, Nose, Nose, Short Head.  LIGHT INFANTRY and LUSAIL ran close to their 2000 Guineas form - the former really looked as though the step up to 1600m would suit while LUSAIL, for all his fine and profitable run at Ascot, still looks like a sprinter to this observer. ACCAKABA was best of the locals in fourth while Buick's attempt to lead from the front on MODERN GAMES didn't quite work and for me he didn't quite get home. I just wonder if a little further and slower ground might help. 

The Pouliches winner MANGOUSTINE and the Poulains runner up TEXAS both disappointed.

For future reference, I'll mention this year's Melbourne Cup winner, WITHOUT A FIGHT, who won his second race over the 2800m at York once again beating JOHN LEEPER. The plan is to go to Flemington and I've rated this one ever since he ran home well in the City of Gold in Dubai. He's rated 113 and I just wonder if he needs to be a notch higher to get in the race.

Looking back at Newmarket, after three days of curious results, I'm left thinking on rattling quick ground you need a horse who can set or lay up close to the pace - those who come from behind could do it at Ascot but not here. As for INSPIRAL, Gosden more or less admitted he ran her too quick but I could have told him that. I'm more annoyed I didn't back PROSPEROUS VOYAGE who was the obvious alternative without the favourite.

Crowds down on the July Course which was some concern to the course obviously but as I've said elsewhere, economic circumstances are not favourable to hospitality up here.

50 minutes ago, stodge said:

On a scorching Saturday, the final day of the Newmarket July Meeting was the highlight of a busy afternoon.

The feature was the Group 1 July Cup over 1200m - the second in the series of championship races over this distance from the Platinum Jubilee through the Haydock Sprint Trophy to the Champions Day Sprint. As so often, the July Cup is the best clash between the generations and the first three from the Platinum Jubilee, NAVAL CROWN, CREATIVE FORCE and the Australian ARTORIUS took on the first, second and fourth from the Commonwealth Cup - PERFECT POWER, FLAMING RIB and CADOMOSTO. Plenty of quality through the field with Haydock Sprint Trophy winner EMARAATY ANA one of the outsiders and a fascinating filly in ALCOHOL FREE, past winner of the Coronation and Sussex trying her hand at sprinting for the first time since her juvenile days.

July Cup: 

A wonderful training performance by Andrew Balding and an unbelievable second Group 1 in 24 hours for jockey Rob Hornby as ALCOHOL FREE in truth won this fairly easily. I thought she would struggle on the quick ground but she turned the Ascot form round with NAVAL CROWN to the tune of four and a bit lengths. She had won the Cheveley Park back in 2020 as a juvenile but had trained as a classic mile filly last year. Her wins in the Coronation and Sussex wee both achieved on wet tracks and this was a revelation which has seen hr pushed back up to the rating of 119 which she last had after the Sussex. I presume they'll keep her to this and head for the Haydock Park Sprint - I think she's tailor made for the Breeders Cup Mile on this evidence and clearly will be a hugely popular broodmare when the time comes.

NAVAL CROWN went as if pursued by the hounds of hell and with the July Course riding quick it was much more a speed track than Ascot and he so nearly brought off the big sprinting double but he bumped into one (as they say). They ran the 1200m in 1:09.47 which is pretty quick over here. I'd love to see him in the Nunthorpe.

This wasn't the day to be finishing late off the pace - Spencer kept ARTORIUS closer to the gallop than at Ascot and he ran home strongly up the hill to be just two lengths off the winner in third and to be a notch closer to NAVAL CROWN than he'd been at Ascot. The Maurice de Gheest looks obvious but the ground would be a worry - it's never as firm in France as it was at Newmarket. Haydock might be an option but again the ground is going to be the question.

The first three all finished on the far side and I just wonder if that accentuated their superiority - those nearer the stands rail never got home at all.

CREATIVE FORCE ran okay in fourth - it all happened a bit quick and I'd love to see him over a bit further.

PERFECT POWER finished seventh, beaten five lengths and Christophe Soumillon reported the horse was never happy on the ground - slower turf at Haydock will help but he'll do well to run down the winner. He finished in front of FLAMING RIB (9th) but a clear victory for the older horses this year which goes against the grain of recent runnings.

The supporting Group 2 Superlative saw the Sangster colours grace the Newmarket winners enclosure with ISAAC SHELBY who is by Night of Thunder and the first foal of an unraced mare. He fought off Godolphin's VICTORY DANCE and the pair drew four lengths clear. They are both clearly decent types and I wonder if we'll see them clash again at either Goodwood or the Champagne at Doncaster.

At Ascot, the Group 2 Summer Mile was slightly devalued by the late scratching of MODERN NEWS but Queen Anne fourth CHINDIT just held off MUTABAASEQ in a close finish. CHINDIT has seen plenty of the backside of Baaeed this year and I wonder if the Marois rather than the Sussex might be the aim.

Sunday's big race in France was the Jean Prat at Deauville. 

Prix Jean Prat: 

There's a reason why Ryan Moore is one of the best jockeys in the world - he is patient to the extreme. He waited until the last possible second to produce TENEBRISM and she had enough speed to grab and hold the lead at the end of this 1390m race.

TENEBRISM had been well held in both the 1000 Guineas and the Coronation and perhaps the flatter track and slightly shorter trip helped as she didn't look to quite see out the 1600m. I wonder if she'll end up in the Foret or perhaps Aidan will be tempted by the Matron at the much easier Leopardstown track.

A real bunch for the minor places with the distances from second to sixth reading Short Neck, Nose, Nose, Short Head.  LIGHT INFANTRY and LUSAIL ran close to their 2000 Guineas form - the former really looked as though the step up to 1600m would suit while LUSAIL, for all his fine and profitable run at Ascot, still looks like a sprinter to this observer. ACCAKABA was best of the locals in fourth while Buick's attempt to lead from the front on MODERN GAMES didn't quite work and for me he didn't quite get home. I just wonder if a little further and slower ground might help. 

The Pouliches winner MANGOUSTINE and the Poulains runner up TEXAS both disappointed.

For future reference, I'll mention this year's Melbourne Cup winner, WITHOUT A FIGHT, who won his second race over the 2800m at York once again beating JOHN LEEPER. The plan is to go to Flemington and I've rated this one ever since he ran home well in the City of Gold in Dubai. He's rated 113 and I just wonder if he needs to be a notch higher to get in the race.

Looking back at Newmarket, after three days of curious results, I'm left thinking on rattling quick ground you need a horse who can set or lay up close to the pace - those who come from behind could do it at Ascot but not here. As for INSPIRAL, Gosden more or less admitted he ran her too quick but I could have told him that. I'm more annoyed I didn't back PROSPEROUS VOYAGE who was the obvious alternative without the favourite.

Crowds down on the July Course which was some concern to the course obviously but as I've said elsewhere, economic circumstances are not favourable to hospitality up here.

You lot are sweltering near 30 degrees Stodge…that would put plenty off you would think. Much better down at some stony beach somewhere…😉

18 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

You lot are sweltering near 30 degrees Stodge…that would put plenty off you would think. Much better down at some stony beach somewhere…😉

Oddly enough I did some checking and the conditions in 2019 weren't very different - fine and very warm to hot.

We are forecast 35-38c next Monday and Tuesday and the UK temperature record might be under threat.

It's possible some of the summer jumps races might be stopped but the flat will go on with copious supplies of water and cooling fans for all participants, equine and human. 

Having called this week "quiet", I'd forgotten about the traditional Bastille Evening card at Longchamp tomorrow. 

This features the Grand Prix de Paris over 2400m for the 3-y-o and it's a race which has regained some of its former prestige with the Jockey Club back to 2050m. However, this year's renewal doesn't look strong - six go to post on forecast soft ground. 

Three are locals but the three raiders head the UK betting market (perhaps a shade parochial). The unbeaten ELDER ELDAROV won the Queen's Vase over 2800m at Ascot but I just wonder whether this will be a tactical race and that may not play well for him. I prefer PIZ BADILE who didn't cope with Epsom but was second to WESTOVER in the Irish Derby. That's solid form and the way this race could be run will help.

EL BODEGON was a smart juvenile but well held in the Dante on his seasonal re-appearance. He then went to the Jockey Club and was beaten five lengths by VADEMI - we know he went on to win the Eclipse so it wasn't a bad effort. He doesn't look obviously like a 2400m horse but in a tactical race his speed will be a help.

ONESTO was behind EL BODEGON in the Jockey Club though only a couple of lengths down. The best of the locals might be Hocquart winner L'ASTRONOME who will relish the trip and the ground.

BAIYKARA looks the likely winner of the Group 2 Malleret, also over 2400m, but for the fillies while British raider QUICKTHORN looks to have a strong chance in the Maurice de Nieuil over 2800m. QUICKTHORN won the Henry VII at Sandown after running second in the Sagaro. 

Big news up here in the past 24 hours is or are changes to the whip rule. The two main changes are the whip must only be used in the backhand position and if any horse is struck four more than the accepted number in a race, it can be disqualified.

Reaction has been mixed - former champion Willie Carson said he was fine with the new rules, some wanted the changes to be harsher on whip use. Ireland are not going to follow the UK so the current whip rules will remain across the Irish Sea.

The hot summer over here is causing more issues with field sizes - Saturday's last scheduled race at Newbury has no entries, zero. It's a Class 5 Novice over 2000m and it may be rather than a planned protest this is just a number of trainers saying it's not worth it for the money on offer.

Friday's races also have very small fields - Newmarket and Nottingham both have 7-race cards and both have just 41 runners.

8 stand in Saturday's Irish Oaks and with TUESDAY taken out by Aidan O'Brien this morning this is basically a match between Epsom Oaks runner up EMILY UPJOHN and Ribblesdale winner MAGICAL LAGOON. They go 1/2 the former, 7/2 the latter and it's hard to argue with that. Granted the Ribblesdale is a serious race but I thought it an average renewal this year - the Oaks form wasn't franked by TUESDAY in the Irish derby but that was against the boys and back in calmer waters I think EMILY UPJOHN, provided she breaks and settles, will be too good for these.

WESTOVER, who won the Irish Derby, is now 7/4 second favourite behind DESERT CROWN, who missed a piece of work at Newmarket yesterday morning. MISHRIFF is a solid 7/2 with Arc winner TORQUATOR TASSO at 6s.

Looking a little further ahead, BAAEED has been introduced at 4/11 for the Sussex at Goodwood with CORROEBUS at 10/3 and July Cup winner ALCOHOL FREE at 14s.

Two quick updates - it seems the decision to leave no entries in the last at Newbury was orchestrated by a prominent Newmarket trainer. The race had a win prize of just £3,510 which is pretty derisory for a Saturday in all honesty. Newbury and the Racecourse Association have cried foul as you might expect.

DESERT CROWN, as Harry has reported, will miss the King George at Ascot next weekend owing to a foot problem .

WESTOVER is now Evens favourite with MISHRIFF at 5/2.