RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Despite the fact jumping rules the roost in the UK this weekend, that's not true in France and Ireland with the first Group 3 races of the campaign at St Cloud and Leopardstown respectively.

At Saint-Cloud, the 3-y-o fillies go over 2000m in the Penelope and the likely favourite is AGAVE who has already won a Listed over course and distance. I'm interested in ALLADA who won her only race last year and is a first Group runner for new trainer Tim Donworth:

https://www.timdonworthracing.com/about

She's a full to a useless Japanese colt who ended up losing his crown jewels.

It's possible the ground may be too quick for THE REVENANT in the Edmond Blanc over 1600m. To be fair, THE REVENANT has already won a race but let's not forget he was second in the Daniel Wildenstein and only beaten two and a half lengths by BAAEED in the Queen Elizabeth II at Ascot.

At Leopardstown, the ground is Good (they were watering at Sandown today while there was a snow shower, I kid you not) for their opening flat card which features the Group 3 1000 Guineas Trial over 1400m. Top rated is SACRED BRIDGE who won four last year but flopped when favourite behind TENEBRISM in the Cheveley Park. She could bounce back but I prefer AGARTHA who was runner up in the Moyglare before getting bogged down in the Longchamp mud in the Marcel Boussac. Aidan O'Brien runs CONTARELLI CHAPEL who looked very good on debut last spring but flopped when 2/7 on soft ground at Naas in May and hasn't been seen since.

The Ballysax over 2000m is essentially the first big Derby Trial. My view on this year's renewal is there are no world beaters and indeed it's a weak edition. DUKE OF SESSA beat PIZ BADILE in the Eyrefield over course and distance last October and the second might be good enough to reverse the places.

Yesterday's racing more about the future than the present with the start of the series of trial races leading to the Guineas meetings at the beginning of May in the UK and the end of May in Ireland.

At Leopardstown, a cold but dry afternoon saw racing take place on Good ground. DR ZEMPF won the Listed 2000 Guineas Trial but he's 50/1 for Newmarket and the fact he was all out to hold the late finish of THE ACROPOLIS who is well down the Ballydoyle pecking order suggests this was an average heat. The Group 3 1000 Guineas Trial saw a taking performance from HOMELESS SONGS (Frankel - Joaliiere ex Dubawi) who found a nice turn of foot to run down AGARTHA in the final 200m. She's been cut to 16s for the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket but I just wonder if 2000m might be her trip.

PIZ BADILE earned a 20/1 quote for the Derby with a hard fought win over BUCKAROO in the Ballysax with the pair four lengths clear of the others. Whether either are classic winners is debatable - the winner is a son of Ulysses and I'd have doubts about him getting beyond 2000m. The runner up, BUCKAROO, looks the stayer in the making. He's by Fastnet Rock out of a Galileo mare.

The highlight this week is the 3-day Aintree meeting which leads to the Grand National next Saturday. The iconic race is these days over 6870m rather than the 7200m of former times and is just about the longest race in the jumping calendar - the  Midlands Grand National is 6820m.

In the old days, the Grand National and the two other races over the special fences, the Foxhunters and the Topham, were all the Aintree meeting was - the meeting also had flat races such as the Liverpool Spring Cup over 2000m and a selling race for juveniles which in 1967 ended in a dead heat with one of the horses involved none other than Red Rum himself.

Flat racing ended in 1976 and in the 2000s the jumping element of the meeting was overhauled and nowadays the Aintree Festival sits as the next big meeting after Cheltenham, usually separated by three weeks. Aintree is left handed, flat and sharp, more like a reverse Kempton but even sharper. Not every horse who comes on from Cheltenham performs here but those who do are usually the real champions while other horses for whom Cheltenham isn't favourable lie in wait at Aintree to ambush those who ran at Prestbury Park. There's also likely to be less of an Irish presence than at Cheltenham as the Irish still have their five day Punchestown meeting at the end of the month.

A series of Grade 1 Championship races are run across the three days, many approximating similar races at Cheltenham but one or two niche events as well.

Day one starts with four Championship races - the first is a novices chase over 4000m. 12 have been entered with Paul Nicholls, who deliberately kept a number of his better horses away from Cheltenham, having the two top rated in BRAVEMANSGAME and PIC D'ORHY. The former was a late scratching from the 4800m chase at Cheltenham and I just wonder if he wants further. This is the ideal distance for PIC D'ORHY who jumped much better at Kempton last time.

The 3200m juvenile hurdle is Aintree's version of the Triumph. PIED PIPER, third at Cheltenham, has been entered and re-matches with DOCTOR PARNASSUS who was seventh at Cheltenham.

The 4800m Betway Bowl is essentially Aintree's Gold Cup. PROTEKTORAT and ROYALE PAGAILLE, third and fifth at Cheltenham, are challenged by past winner of this race, CLAN DES OBEAUX and the Irish Gold Cup winner CONFLATED.

The Aintree Hurdle over 4000m is one of the niche races - it's a half way house between the Champion and the Stayers but given the sharpness of the track,  it's more often the Champion Hurdle horses who have the advantage. EPATANTE chased home HONEYSUCKLE at Cheltenham with ZANAHIYR close behind in third and with the Champion Hurdler waiting for Punchestown, EPATANTE must have a big chance.

I'll preview the races as we move through the week.

Thursday also sees the two big French Guineas trials - the Djebel and the Imprudence - at Deauville.

Question for you stodge. The Tattersalls Craven Breeze Up sale is on this month. Do they actually do a breeze up like our RtoR sale ? I ask because there is no sign of videos or times on the site.

13 hours ago, Breeder said:

Question for you stodge. The Tattersalls Craven Breeze Up sale is on this month. Do they actually do a breeze up like our RtoR sale ? I ask because there is no sign of videos or times on the site.

Hi @Breeder. Yes, there is a proper breeze-up but it's done on the day rather than  in advance - this was Lot 2 from last April's sale:

https://www.tattersalls.com/sales/craven-breeze-up-sale/4DCGI/Sale/CBU21/Main

Videos on the left hand side - looks as though they breeze a couple of furlongs down the Rowley Mile.

He didn't run until August - won on debut and then second in a valuable nursery at Newmarket before a fourth in a Listed at the end of the season.

A little rain in north west England has changed the ground at Aintree to Good to Soft all round and more rain is forecast.

Friday's Championship races start with a Novices hurdle over 3200m. The Supreme runner up JONBON once again squares off against a stable companion - this time the County Hurdle runner up FIRST STREET. 

The 5000m Novices chase could be a real cracker with Brown Advisory first and second, L'HOMME PRESSE and AHOY SENOR up against BRAVEMANSGAME who is also in the 4000m race the previous day.

The 4000m Melling Chase is the day's feature - the Champion Chase runner up FUNAMBULE SIVOLA faces Ascot chase winner FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES while finally the 4800m novice hurdle sees a number of those who swerved the Albert Bartlett meeting for this valuable prize.

The ground at Aintree has improved to Good, Good to Soft in places following a dry but windy day. Rain continues to be forecast.

The final fields are through for Thursday's championship races.

The opening Manifesto (named after the 1897 and 1899 National winner) chase over 4000m is for the intermediate novices. Just seven go to post and it doesn't look that strong a race. PIC D'ORHY did it well at Kempton the other day but his jumping earlier in the season was a bit suspect and they go quick on decent ground at Aintree and as we know speed kills. WAR LORD was 16 lengths behind Edwardstone in the Henry VIII and got five lengths closer in the Arkle but the trip is an unknown for all it could bring some improvement. 

The interesting runner is the Irish GIN 'N' LIME who hasn't been seen since that two-horse race at Cheltenham last November when both he and My Drogo made horrendous errors at the second last - My Drogo lost his rider but Rachel Blackmore performed winders to keep the partnership with GIN 'N' LIME intact and they won. I assume the absence may have been down to injuries sustained in that incident but he could go well.

The Irish dominated the Triumph at Cheltenham and look set to do the same in the Anniversary Hurdle for the juveniles over 3200m. PIED PIPER was no match for Vauban at Cheltenham but still ran a fine third and that should be good enough but BRAZIL is an improving type having been the juvenile handicap at Cheltenham. He's rated 1 lb behind PIED PIPER but I still prefer Grade 1 form in a Grade 1 race.

The Betway Bowl over 5000m may sometimes be seen as a consolation Gold Cup but it's a wide open and strong renewal this time. Six of the nine runners are rated within 4 lbs. Favourite is Gold Cup third PROTEKTORAT who clouted the last at Cheltenham and will need a clear round here. CONFLATED won the Irish Gold Cup but was chasing Allaho in vain in the Ryanair when falling at the last - he would have comfortably beaten ELDORADO ALLEN who in the end finished third. However, both horses will prefer this trip and ground and there may not be much between them.

CLAN DES OBEAUX was third in this in 2018, second in 2019 and won it in 2021 but he's getting on in years and the first time blinkers are an attempt to squeeze out a little more improvement after an indifferent run at Kempton. KEMBOY does his best running at Leopardstown and ROYALE PAGAILLE, for all he ran well at Cheltenham, may find this all happening too quick.

I've backed ELDORADO ALLEN at 11/2 each way but this is a race to enjoy as much as to punt. 

The Aintree Hurdle over 4000m features the second and third in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in EPATANTE and ZANAHIYR. For both horses, it's unknown territory in terms of trip but many horses who see out the 3200m at Cheltenham see out the 4000m over the much flatter and sharper Aintree. EPATANTE has the 7 lb mares allowance and I suspect that will give her a narrow edge. 

Elsewhere, the Marcel Boussac winner ZELLIE re-appears in the Imprudence at Deauville where the ground is Very Soft. 

On to the preview for Friday's Aintree card. 

Nine go in the Novices Hurdle over 3200m and Supreme runner up JONBON would seem the obvious starting point, He was no match for his stable mate Constitution Hill at Cheltenham and I'm not wholly convinced this sharper track and quicker ground will be ideal. Willie Mullins doesn't have the strong hand at Aintree he had at Cheltenham but he saddles EL FABIOLO, another of his French bred types. On his sole hurdle run, he bolted up at Tramore on New Year's Day and they've put a hood on him which suggests an issue or two. The one I like each way is AUCUNRISQUE who has won on sharp tracks like Kempton and Plumpton and may have enough tactical speed to go close.

Just four go in the 5000m Betway Bowl for the staying novices but it's a quality race. The first two in the Brown Advisory, L'HOMME PRESSE and AHOY SENOR take on BRAVEMANSGAME, the unbeaten chaser from the Nicholls yard who was taken out of Cheltenham because of the heavy ground. This surface will be fine and he's favourite but L'HOMME PRESSE is every bit as good a jumper and may just be too quick on this sharp track - it's a real race to savour.

The Marsh Chase over 4000m is the Aintree equivalent of the Ryanair but no Allaho and in truth not a classic renewal. FUNAMBULE SIVOLA was perhaps a fortunate runner up in the Champion Chase owing to the failings of others and Ascot chase winner FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES looks a worthy favourite. SCEAU ROYAL runs over 4000m for the first time and if the extra yardage brings improvement he'll be very close. ALLMANKIND won the Old Roan over course and distance last autumn but has run poorly twice since and I quite like CAPTAIN GUINNESS each way. He won a Group 3 at Navan last time  and while, like SCEAU ROYAL, this is a new trip, I think he could find some improvement and 10s looks a big price.

The 4850m Sefton Hurdle for the staying novices looks wide open. BANBRIDGE won a handicap at Cheltenham but I prefer GELINO BELLO back up at this trip on this ground while the unbeaten SKYTASTIC has to step up a good deal in class but could be anything.

Just a quick mention Newmarket's three day Craven meeting starts next week and the 5-day entries are through for the opening day.

Last year's 2000 Guineas runner up MASTER OF THE SEAS starts his 4-y-o campaign in the 1800m Earl of Sefton while CACHET, who was fourth in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf, drops back to 1400m for the Nell Gwyn - more on those after the weekend.

Saturday is the big day at Aintree with the feature Grand National over 6800m the feature.

We'll come to that presently but first the championship races which on any other card would be the features but end up being the supporting undercard on this day.

The Mersey is for the intermediate novice hurdlers over 4000m. With no Sir Gerhard, this has the feel of a consolation race but his absence should help THREE STIPE LIFE who has chased him home at both Leopardstown and Cheltenham. He looks the obvious one and has 7 lbs in hand on the ratings on the likes of NORTH LODGE, STAGE STAR and COLONEL MUSTARD who have all run well enough - STAGE STAR won the Challow, NORTH LODGE won a Grade 2 at Kelso and COLONEL MUSTARD was third in the County but they've all put in lesser efforts. WALKING ON AIR has won both his hurdles and was impressive enough in an admittedly ordinary race at Newbury. He's with Nicky Henderson and it's likely he's been specifically targeted at this race. On form, he has it all to do with THREE STIPE LIFE.

The 3200m Maghull Chase sees EDWARDSTONE bid to follow up his Arkle success. You just have to wonder if this is one journey too often to the well and whether his jumping will stand up to the faster ground and quicker circuit but on all known form he wins. He's beaten THIRD TIME LUCKI twice including in the Kingmaker at Warwick and while GENTLEMAN DE MEE has won his last two chases with authority, they have been in much lesser company.

While some of the Aintree championship races lack star quality, that's certainly not true of the Liverpool Hurdle for the stayers. The first, second and fourth from Cheltenham re-oppose - FLOORING PORTER made every yard at Cheltenham and Aintree is a front runner's track. THYNE HILL did very little wrong in defeat but was still three lengths down at the line. CHAMP was well held in fourth and I can't see him enjoying this tight track The only problem is FLOORING PORTER isn't consistent - he threw in a stinker at Punchestown last year after Cheltenham whereas we know THYNE HILL will give his running - he won this last year and I've had a decent bet at 7/2.

Now for the big one in every sense - 30 fences, 40 runners, £500,000 to the winner. 

It's not a race in which I like to play but it's the biggest betting race in the whole year - it's not quite the Melbourne Cup but in betting and public terms it's the nearest thing. As always, wide open - currently 8/1 the field. DELTA WORK won the cross country race at Cheltenham but had a hard enough race. SNOW LEOPARDESS won the Becher over 5000m over the big fences last December and the assumption is she'll get the trip on the decent ground. ANY SECOND NOW was third last year but is a stone higher.

Last year's winner MINELLA TIMES is also much higher above the weights as you would expect and hasn't set the world on fire so far in two runs pulling up last time.

Of the others, ECLAIR SURF won the Classic Chase at Warwick and was second to last week's Scottish National winner in the Eider over 6600m at Newcastle so the trip presents no problem. This is his first go over the National fences so that's one question and I think they may go quick enough early but he's a sporting bet at 14s. FIDDLERONTHEHOOF was second in the Brown Advisory last year and has been clearly aimed for this race since - he'd be on my short list at 20s.

Gordon Elliott runs no less than eight and RUN WILD FRED would be my idea of his best - he was second over 6000m at Cheltenham and should be there or thereabouts.

Looking down the list, SANTINI, a huge horse who might love these fences and was eighth in the Gold Cup and at 40s he's a chance bet.

There's a good chance I've not even mentioned the winner but my short list - say three against the field would be:

FIDDLERONTHEHOOF

RUN WILD FRED

SANTINI

It's a bit of a lottery but it's a wonderful spectacle. 

The first day of the Aintree Grand National meeting took place on a wet and blustery afternoon. Not a lot of rain fell - only 3 mm - but it was unpleasant for the spectators and enough to turn the ground Good to Soft on the hurdle, Mildmay and National courses alike.

Four championship races kicked off the meeting.

I can't find a replay of the Manifesto Novices Chase but MILLERS BANK, who had blundered his jockey away twice this season, seemed again to improve for the decent ground and was too good for WAR LORD who seemed to stay the 4000m well enough. PIC D'ORHY never looked happy making mistakes and it transpired he had a breathing problem and he was pulled up five out. The Irish fancy GIN ON LIME had been backed into 5/2 but was headed and faded from two out. 

The Jewson 4-y-o Hurdle over 3200m saw Triumph Hurdle third PIED PIPER up against the Fred Winter winner BRAZIL.

Jewson 4-y-o Juvenile Hurdle: 

An extraordinary race and aftermath. KNIGHT SALUTE battled back to join PIED PIPER on the line and after several minutes the Judge called a dead heat immediately followed by a Stewards' Enquiry. We saw the two jockeys giving evidence and Paddy Brennan (on KNIGHT SALUTE) claimed he had lost nothing when PIED PIPER (ridden by Davy Russell) edged left jumping the last. 

Despite that, the Stewards ruled enough interference had occurred to change the result and given it was a dead heat and having seen all the angles you can see their point. If it had been a neck or a head they might well have kept the places but a dead heat is literally as close as it gets and the slightest impact is going to affect that. It's certainly possible having seen the evidence to argue KNIGHT SALUTE might have won with a clear passage. Thus was the Triumph Hurdle form reversed (KNIGHT SALUTE was ninth and PIED PIPER third) and you can argue KNIGHT SALUTE had always looked better on flatter tracks but both ran fine races and were nicely clear of BRAZIL who, I suspect, will be more of a player next season.

On then to the Betway Bowl, a chase over 4800m which is essentially Aintree's version of the Gold Cup. The Cheltenham third, PROTEKTORAT and fifth placed ROYALE PAGAILLE faced the Irish Gold Cup winner CONFLATED and previous winner of this race, CLAN DES OBEAUX.

Betway Bowl: 

CLAN DES OBEAUX regained his title despite a late challenge from CONFLATED. Given he won this race by 26 lengths last year, you could argue the form isn't as strong but this was a deeper field and this was an excellent performance by a top notch chaser who, let's not forget, has won the King George in his time.

CONFLATED ran a fine race and is a serious contender for next year's top chases. KEMBOY would be a champion if all the top races were at Leopardstown and as Aintree isn't a million miles from Leopardstown it wasn't a great surprise to see KEMBOY put up a decent effort - he's a bit like the winner, a specialist on the flatter tracks.

Those who ran in the Gold Cup disappointed - it's a notoriously hard race - but PROTEKTORAT will, I think, be a key player next season with more experience.

The final Championship race was the 4000m Aintree Hurdle which saw Champion Hurdle second and third EPATANTE and ZANAHIYR clash alongside the specialist 4000m types.

Betway Aintree Hurdle: 

An emphatic win by EPATANTE who had ZANAHIYR cooked when the latter came down at the last. I must confess I think she'd make a decent staying hurdler and it might just be she doesn't have the pace to be a 3200m hurdler - to be fair, her bad luck has been to be around at the same time as the brilliant HONEYSUCKLE. MONMIRAL inherited second but I wouldn't count out ZANAHIYR who is only a 5-y-o and could well be a big player in the hurdle championship races next year. The good juveniles often struggle in their first season in open company and come through in their second. 

The specialist 4000m types were no match for the speedier sorts on this flatter track.

While I'm chewing over Aintree, the Flat season kicks into gear with the three day Craven meeting starting tomorrow at Newmarket (along with the breeze up sale which starts each day at 5.30pm after racing).

Tomorrow's racing features the Group 3 Earl of Sefton over 1800m for which MASTER OF THE SEAS is strong favourite at 11/10. He had a truncated campaign last year having won the Craven and finished runner up in the 2000 Guineas. The decent ground should suit but he faces a decent rival in Group 3 winner MEGALLAN representing the Gosden/Dettori combination.

The first two in last autumn's Rockel meet in the Nell Gwyn over the same distance. HELLO YOU beat CACHET that day but the two were fifth and fourth respectively in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. There's very little between them to be honest and it's a race I'll be watching rather than playing.

Wednesday's two Group 3 races feature the Abernant for the sprinters over 1200m. EBRO RIVER was a smart juvenile last year and it's fascinating to see him pitched in against the older horses at the start of his 3-y-o campaign. He contested many of the top juvenile races winning the Phoenix Stakes and clearly connections have decided he won't see out a classic distance. He gets all the weight from his elders and with GARRUS fairly moderate on his seasonal bow at Doncaster, the younger horse has a big chance.

The Craven is an acknowledged 2000 Guineas trial and last year's juvenile champion NATIVE TRAIL is 2/5 to kick off his 3-y-o campaign. Wins in the National and the Dewhurst confirmed his position as the top colt and while Aidan O'Brien's STAR OF INDIA could be anything, I'll be looking for an impressive performance from the 2000 Guineas favourite.

Good Friday sees the climax of the winter flat season with the all-weather championship finals day at Newcastle.

Saturday sees Newbury's big spring flat meeting with three Group 3 races - the John Porter is over 2400m for the older horses. Top rated is THUNDEROUS who hasn't been seen since running fourth in the Hardwicke last summer. ILARAAB won two Group 3 races over this distance including the St Simon over this course and distance last autumn but they were on soft ground and this turf may be quick enough first time up.

The two 3-y-o classic trials are the Fred Darling for the fillies and the Greenham for the colts, both over the straight 1400m. 13 have been entered for the Fred Darling and clear top rated is WILD BEAUTY who won a Grade 1 in Canada before a decent fifth to INSPIRAL in the Fillies Mile. JUMBLY won a Listed on soft ground in the autumn and I'm more interested in the once-raced SHAARA, a daughter of Shamardal who won nicely at Yarmouth on debut and could be anything.

With NATIVE TRAIL due to run at Newmarket this Wednesday afternoon, the Greenham looks like having eight runners but three are quality colts. ANGEL BLEU won the Vintage at Goodwood and followed up in the Jean Luc Lagardere at Longchamp and the Criterium International at Saint Cloud. The problem is his best form is over further on softer ground. LUSAIL was a speedy colt last year winning the Gimcrack at York but was last in the Champagne at Doncaster on his first try at 1400m. It's possible he'll see the trip out with some physical development over the winter and if they go a steady gallop, he'll have a big chance.

PERFECT POWER won the Middle Park and the Morny over 1200m so has proven Group 1 form. He's by Ardad, a sprinter but the dam went 2000m so he's worth a try at the trip and on his best form he could be the one.

The second day of the Grand National meeting took place on Good to Soft ground but the weather was much improved with a fine afternoon.

Four championship races once again as well as the Topham over the big National fences.

The Top Novices Hurdle over 3250m was Aintree's equivalent of the Supreme at Cheltenham and the runner up at Prestbury Park, JONBON, went off a strong favourite with the most interesting opposition being the ex-French galloper EL FABIOLO, representing Willie Mullins, who had won his only Irish hurdle way back on New Year's Day at Tramore:

Betway Top Novices Hurdle: 

JONBON got the job done but it was hard work and EL FABIOLO is clearly a horse of huge talent and it'll be fascinating to see how he will fare as a year younger than the winner. I believe JONBON will go chasing next year and clearly he's an exciting prospect. I'm not convinced EL FABIOLO would have won with a clean jump at the last but it would have been interesting. The obvious question is how good must CONSTITUTION HILL be and I understand his enterprising owner wants to take on HONEYSUCKLE at Punchestown which will be a race to savour.

El FABIOLO may yet prove a better chaser than JONBON - it wouldn't be the biggest surprise . The front two were 20 lengths ahead of the others.

From the speedy novice hurdlers to the staying novice chasers and a small but select field for the Mildmay Novices Chase over 5000m featuring the first two home in the Brown Advisory at Cheltenham in the form of L'HOMME PRESSE and AHOY SENOR and the unbeaten BRAVEMANSGAME who was a late scratching at Cheltenham on account of the heavy ground.

Mildmay Novices Chase: 

A bit of a turn up with AHOY SENOR, who won the Grade 1 staying novice hurdle (of which more in a moment) at 66s last year, made every yard and in the end did it well. BRAVEMANSGAME was very disappointing looking very short of pace on this sharp track - as an aside, while his trainer thinks of him as a Gold Cup horse, I'd love to see him in the National. L'HOMME PRESSE has always looked better on ground with some juice and it might just have dried up too much for him.

AHOY SENOR has had a very good novice season - whether he's up to a Gold Cup I'm less certain but he will be a factor in the big staying chases. FURY ROAD ran well and considering how far GALOPIN DES CHAMPS beat him at Leopardstown, connections of the latter might have missed an opportunity.

The afternoon's feature was the Marsh Chase over 4000m - in essence. Aintree's version of the Ryanair but with ALLAHO missing, FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES looked a warm order to follow up his 2021 success in this race despite the presence of some speedy types including HITMAN and FUNAMBULE SIVOLA.

Marsh Chase: 

An authoritative performance by FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES and it's unfortunate for the horse he's around at the same time as ALLAHO - these two dominate the 4000m division and while ALLAHO is top dog, FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES is a clear second. He won the Ascot Chase and followed up here. HITMAN saw out the trip really well and I suspect we'll see him over this distance more next season while the veteran SCEAU ROYAL, with solid Grade 1 form over chases and hurdles, acquitted himself honourably in third.

For context, ALLAHO beat FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES 12 lengths in the 2021 Ryanair and in the Horse and Jockey at Thurles in January this year it was the same.

The Sefton was the 4800m race for the staying hurdlers and looked wide open with BANBRIDGE, the winner of a handicap at Cheltenham, going off favourite.

Sefton Novices Hurdle: 

An emphatic win for GELINO BELLO who had won a Grade 2 at Cheltenham before Christmas and performed with credit in a seriously competitive handicap hurdle at Kempton. With one or two running below expectations and perhaps not the strongest renewal, there are questions over the quality of this form. Nonetheless, GELINO BELLO transfers to the bigger obstacles next season as a serious prospect (AHOY SENOR, last year's winner, has done pretty well). GENTLEMAN AT ARMS represented the small stable of Stuart Edmunds and ran a blinder in defeat - he's another for fences and as he's a year younger there could be some improvement left.

The likes of BANBRIDGE and SKYTASTIC couldn't cope when the pace quickened in the straight and both might have preferred slower ground. 

Stodge, I have enjoyed your comments on this site over several years.

I am the sort of gentleman that if I was meeting you for a pint or two of the finest English ale I would say;

You put down 100 quid; I put down 20 quid.  I am saying that Claymore will beat Native Trail in the 2000 Guineas.

Would you be brave enough to take such a  gentlemanly wager?

Last time I looked Native Trail was 6/4 and mine is as rough as 33/1.  Would you be a man or a mouse?

I am the sort of person who would buy you a couple of pints, and a suitable chaser, out of your 100 quid, whilst we determine a follow up wager on either the Dante or the Derby.

11 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Stodge, I have enjoyed your comments on this site over several years.

I am the sort of gentleman that if I was meeting you for a pint or two of the finest English ale I would say;

You put down 100 quid; I put down 20 quid.  I am saying that Claymore will beat Native Trail in the 2000 Guineas.

Would you be brave enough to take such a  gentlemanly wager?

Last time I looked Native Trail was 6/4 and mine is as rough as 33/1.  Would you be a man or a mouse?

I am the sort of person who would buy you a couple of pints, and a suitable chaser, out of your 100 quid, whilst we determine a follow up wager on either the Dante or the Derby.

I'd take you on as far as the Guineas is concerned but I'd be much more doubtful about the Derby.

CLAYMORE is very stoutly bred on the dam side with a lot of German influence which suggests slow turf and distance might suit. The sire, NEW BAY, has done quite well - his most successful progeny up here would be SAFFRON BEACH who proved herself a good 1600m type last year but the dam is by High Chaparral out of a Monsun mare so you'd think 2400m would be ideal. I'd be more interested in the 50/1 for the Derby than the 33s for the Guineas if I'm being honest.

The offer of a drink is however much appreciated and I hope one day to take you up on it.

With 2020 lost and 2021 taking place behind closed doors, the return of nearly 70,000 spectators brought the atmosphere back to Grand National day which had been missing since the spring of 2019.

A glorious afternoon with sunshine and a chill breeze left the ground just on the slow side of good for the final day of the Aintree Festival.

Before the big race, three more championship races on the Mildmay course starting with the intermediate novice hurdlers in the Mersey over 4000m. Favourite was Ballymore runner up THREE STRIPE LIFE who could win this Grad 1 in the absence of top Irish horse Sir Gerhard.

Mersey Novices Hurdle: 

A convincing performance by THREE STRIPE LIFE who was no match for SIR GERHARD at Cheltenham but was too good for these. MIGHT I had finished behind CONSTITUTION HILL and JONBON on his last two runs so is a useful form yardstick and we can argue THREE STRIPE LIFE and JONBON come out closely matched on this evidence which leaves the intriguing thought of SIR GERHARD vs CONSTITUTION HILL for the top novice hurdler - it won't happen but it's a thought. I do think MIGHT I could be a decent novice chaser next year. WALKING ON AIR blundered away his chance but I know they rate him highly at the Henderson yard and unfortunately ELLE EST BELLE suffered a fatal heart attack on the run in.

The speed novice chasers had their turn in the Maghull over 3200m and Arkle winner EDWARDSTONE went off 4/7 to follow up his Cheltenham success:

Maghull Novices Chase: 

Was it the end of a long season? I'm not sure but EDWARDSTONE's colours were decisively lowered here by GENTLEMAN DE MEE whose form has been transformed by front running tactics and far from setting the race up for the Arkle winner, were decisive in their own right. He's now won three chases from the front and will be a fascinating recruit to what looks a busy 3200m division next year - remember SHISHKIN and ENERGUMENE - as will EDWARDSTONE who I think does better on more galloping tracks. 

Harry Skelton did wonders to stay with THIRD TIME LUCKI at the penultimate ditch but was well held in third.

The staying hurdle division was well represented in the Liverpool over 4800m. Stayers Hurdle winner and second, FLOORING PORTER and THYNE HILL (the latter won this last year) along with fourth placed CHAMP headed what looked a strong field.

Liverpool Hurdle: 

Another win for Mark Walsh and owner JP McManus but this time it's Gordon Elliott at the double with SIRE DU BERLAIS springing a real shock cutting down FLOORING PORTER from the last to win a shade cosily. Let's not forget he chased home FLOORING PORTER in the 2021 Stayers Hurdle but his form this campaign hadn't been that strong and he'd been well held in a handicap at Cheltenham. This was a return to his very best at the top table.

FLOORING PORTER did what he always does - jumped well and set the pace but Mark Walsh cleverly moved up just as Danny Mullins on FLOORING PORTER tried to get a breather on the home turn and that was a decisive move. The front two were 20 lengths clear of CHAMP and that shouldn't be forgotten. 

On then to the big one - 40 runners, 30 fences including the iconic Becher's Brook, Canal Turn, Valentine's Brook and the Chair - just over 6800m in distance, the Grand National which, despite a first prize of £500,000 is only a Grade 3 because it's a handicap. Favourite on the off was last year's third ANY SECOND NOW at 15/2 on the way of a decent win in the Bobbyjo at Fairyhouse. Last year's winner MINELLA TIMES was 9/1 along with SNOW LEOPARDESS, the Becher winner.

Grand National: 

Not a dry eye in the house as Sam Waley-Cohen, who had announced after pulling up on JETT in the Foxhunters on Thursday this would be his final ride, signed off in style. Riding for his father and for trainer Emmet Mullins, whose first National runner this was, Waley-Cohen brought the unconsidered NOBLE YEATS home at 50/1.

He's the first 7-y-o winner since 1940 but he chased home AHOY SENOR in the Towton at Wetherby in February and the latter had run second in a Grade 1 at Cheltenham and won the Mildmay on Friday so this wasn't perhaps as remarkable a piece of form as seemed at the time. NOBLE YEATS ran off 147 - AHOY SENOR is now rated 161 and you could argue NOBLE YEATS was let in with a real chance. In other words, a good novice beat experienced handicappers and exposed perhaps a loophole which others may look at in the years to come.

ANY SECOND NOW made a few mistakes but he was 7 lb higher than last year and against such a well-weighted opponent cost him the race. 

The front two were 20 lengths clear of DELTA WORK who ran well under his big weight. I fancied SANTINI and he ran a huge race in fourth while FIDDLERONTHEHOOF might be one for next year if he's campaigned well and can keep a similar weight. SNOW LEOPARDESS hated the experience - her form is on much slower ground. MINELLA TIMES fell at Valentine's when jumping into the back of another horse.

The time was very decent - 9 minutes 3.06 seconds - suggesting the ground was near perfect.

15 got round but unfortunately ECLAIR SURF and DISCORAMA lost their lives - the latter suffered a pelvic injury on the flat while the former took a horrible fall at the 3rd which was not jumped on the second circuit.

Saturday's final declarations are through.

No big changes at Newbury - the Fred Darling looks wide open and I fancy PERFCT POWER in the Greenham though whether we'll see classic winners on display is open to question.

In Ireland, Fairyhouse stages its big Easter meeting with the Irish Grand National on Monday. On Sunday, the 4000m Grade 1 Novices Chase has 13 entries and the standout is GALOPIN DES CHAMPS who fell at Cheltenham with the Turners at his mercy and remains a really exciting prospect.

Mid way through the Easter weekend and a quick canter through the midweek action at Newmarket's Craven Meeting.

Unusually, it was fine and warm for the three days and the Rowley Mile produced genuinely Good ground after a dry winter and spring.

The first meeting of the new season at HQ is all about the maidens and the classic hopefuls.

Godolphin's NEW SCIENCE won the 1400m Listed Handicap - he's well off the top of the pecking order at the Appleby yard and the trainer suggested the Jersey might be his target. He's by Lope de Vega out of a Galileo mare so I think further wouldn't be an issue and neither would slower ground. Last year's 2000 Guineas runner up MASTER OF THE SEAS won the 1800m Group 3 for the older horses with some authority - he's lost his crown jewels so there's plenty of racing in his future and his next target might be the Lockinge followed by the Queen Anne.

Highclere Racing, one of the most successful of the syndicate operations up here, had the winner of the 1400m Nell Gwyn for the 3-y-o fillies with CACHET (Aclaim - Poyle Sophie ex Teofolio) who will head for the 1000 Guineas for which she is 14s. She upheld Breeders Cup form with HELLO YOU who was third but they were split by ALMOHANDESAH who's a daughter of Postponed and a home bred of Sheikh Obaid who has a lot of horses with Roger Varian. She could be one to follow.

The 1600m 3-y-o fillies maiden saw the front two pull eight lengths clear of the others. The winner, CRENELLE,  is a Juddmonte homebred by Kingman out of a Dansili mare. She had some decent form but was all out to hold off FONTEYN, another Sheikh Obaid filly but this one is a daughter of Farhh, who had the misfortune of being in the same crop as Frankel and she's the first foal of an unraced Cape Cross mare so another for the notebook.

Wednesday saw the return of 2000 Guineas and Derby favourite NATIVE TRAIL in the 1600m Craven and, sent off 1/4 favourite, won with authority as you would expect. I came out of the race thinking the horse could easily go 2000m if not further and just wondering if 1600m on really quick spring ground would be ideal. He's not short of pace or class and he's not 2/1 favourite for no reason. CLAYMORE chased in vain up the hill but his breeding also suggests further and possibly easier ground will help.

The opening 1400m fillies maiden saw favourite AMEYNAH won easily. She is by Exceed and Excel out of an Iffraaj mare but despite that is a full to an 89-rated handicapper who runs over 2400m. The second, ENSHRINE, was running on well late - she's by Ulysses out of a Blame mare and a half to a Group 2 winner called SACRED.

The Wood Ditton is a rarity for the UK but less so in other jurisdictions - it's for unraced 3-y-o over 1600m. In the days before all weather racing, it was a huge Guineas trial and the first chance to get slower-maturing types on the track. The quality varies a lot from year to year - last year's winner PETER THE GREAT ended up gelded and is now a 90-rated handicapper.

Favourite was SECRET STATE, a son of Dubawi out of Jacqueline Quest, who was disqualified when first the post in the 2010 1000 Guineas. He's a full to the useful sprinter ONASSIS but while he was strongly fancied he ran a strange race getting badly outpaced going into the Dip and running on well on the climb to the line. He certainly ran like a horse who would want further. The winner however was the John and Thady Gosden trained FRANCESCO CLEMENTE who's another son of Dubawi but this one is out of a Galileo mare who has thrown one or two decent ones including the filly Abingdon a few years back. Despite veering left, FRANCESCO CLEMENTE saw it out well and is another for whom 2000m would be a logical next step.

HMQ had the third with KITEFLYER who is by Iffraaj out of a Danehill Dancer mare. He shaped with a lot of potential.

Godolphin may have lost out in the Wood Ditton but won the 2000m Novice Confined (for horses who have run no more than once) with NEW LONDON,  another son of Dubawi but this time out of a Manduro mare and a full to a fair handicapper in AL DABARAN.

The final day was the quietest in terms of quality but still some interesting racing. The opening 1400m maiden for the colts and geldings went to OUT FROM UNDER, a son of Dubawi out of a Pivotal mare called Koora making him a full to the useful Godolphin stayer KEMARI. There's no doubt OUT FROM UNDER will get further with time and I look forward to seeing him on slower ground as well. 

There are only two juvenile races at the meeting and the second produced a very taking winner in TAJALLA , the first runner for first-season sire Kessaar and the first foal of a Society Rock mare. Kessaar won the Mill Reef in 2018 and didn't race after his juvenile campaign.

Performance of the day came from the 3-y-o EYDON who won the 1800m Feilden at 22/1. He's by Olden Times and the first foal of a Frankel mare, Moon Mountain. The progeny of Olden Times tend to improve with both time and distance so it may be EYDON is a live Derby outsider and could be a serious Leger contender down the track. He's currently 25/1 for Epsom.

Just a word on the week ahead up here - Friday sees a decent card at Sandown with the first British Group 2 of the season - the Mile.

9 have been entered but the clear favourite and clear top rated is the filly ALCOHOL FREE who last year won the Coronation at Royal Ascot and the Sussex at Goodwood. She was third in the Falmouth over the straight 1600m on the July Course and patently didn't stay the 2000m in the Juddmonte.

She started her 3-y-o campaign winning the Fred Darling before running a close fifth in the 1000 Guineas. The evidence is a round 1600m suits better than a straight track and for all she has won big races on slow turf, she can go on better ground and looks well in front of these if turning up on song.

Two supporting Group 3 events - the Gordon Richards is for the older horses over 2000m. MOSTAHDAF has to carry a 3 lb penalty for a Group 3 win at Newmarket last autumn but he improved rapidly through the late summer and autumn and has every chance against AL AASY who, although better rated, probably wants further and the likes of JUAN ELCANO.

Last year's Classic Trial proved one of the most informative races of the season for the 3-y-o. ALENQUER beat the Godolphin pair of YIBIR and ADAYAR and it's fair to say all three went on to bigger and better things. Whether there's anything of that quality in this year's renewal is debatable - Godolphin have the favourite again in GOLDSPUR who won over 2000m as a juvenile and was third in the Criterium de Saint Cloud. 

Both CASH and the Aidan O'Brien trained RIVER THAMES won their sole juvenile races and could be anything.

The focus switches back to the jumps for the final time this campaign on Saturday as Sandown stages the Jumps Finale meeting. The final Grade 1 is the Celebration over 3200m. Nine have been entered including Tingle Creek winner GREANETEEN and NUBE MEGRA, who was well behind in the Tingle Creek but for whom quick ground is a real plus.

The continuing dry spell has kept the ground unusually fast for the time of year. Tomorrow's Taunton meeting has been abandoned because the ground is too hard and on Friday it's Good, Good to Firm in places at Sandown for their flat meeting.

Just six stand in the Group 2 Mile and ALCOHOL FREE remains a solid odds on favourite against MUTASAABEQ whose win at Thirsk was on soft ground. It's hard to see the Group 1 winning filly losing if she turns up fit and ready.

Just three go in the Gordon Richards but they are closely matched. MOSTAHDAF carries a 3 lb penalty and is 4/5 but I'd take him on. JUAN ELCANO was second in a Group 2 at York which is better form and he gets the weight. FOXES TALES couldn't cope with the Champion Stakes but that's a serious Group 1 - his Group 3 form was solid but I just favour JUAN ELCANO.

Seven stand in the Classic Trial for which GOLDSPUR remains favourite but support has come from RIVER THAMES in to 7/2 and clearly Ballydoyle aren't going to send the horse over just for some different air. The bare form is nothing special but he could be anything.

Just a note the Punchestown Festival kicks off next Tuesday.

Looking back to last weekend, we had the all-weather finals meeting at Newcastle on Good Friday. EARLOFTHECOTSWOLDS won the 3200m race in good style and such lofty aims as the Gold and Melbourne Cups were touted after the race. The French had a good day bagging a couple of winners.

On Saturday Newbury staged its Spring meeting - the Group 3 John Porter saw MAX VEGA regain the winning thread on a track he seems to really like. It's easy to forget he was 14th in the 2020 Derby and he's shown some fair form at middle and longer distances. The Fred Darling for the classic fillies saw the front two in the market fight out a good finish with Godolphin's WILD BEAUTY just holding off JUMBLY. In truth, they all finished in a bit of a heap and WILD BEAUTY was well held by INSPIRAL last autumn so it's probably sensible not to go too overboard about the form. WILD BEAUTY is joint sixth best at 12s in the ante post market for the 1000 Guineas.

The Greenham is the colts race over 1400m and PERFECT POWER, last season's Morny and Middle Park win, saw out the extra 200m really well and recorded a more than decent time - the big question is whether another 200m will help and to be fair trainer Richard Fahey wasn't convinced. The faster the ground, the better but the 2000 Guineas is rarely a dawdle and any stamina limitations in what turn out to be sprinters are cruelly exposed.

The Gimcrack winner LUSAIL put up a decent effort in second but to be honest, like the winner, he might be a Commonwealth or Jersey type rather than a classic colt. ANGEL BLEU was probably not helped by the quicker ground and I just wonder if The Curragh might be better.

On to Sunday and day one of the Fairyhouse Easter meeting saw the Mares Novice hurdle winner from Cheltenham, LOVE ENVOI, decisively beaten by the lightly raced BRANDY LOVE who, although six, was having just her fifth race. To say she's a slow burning talent wouldn't be out of place but Willie Mullins is the epitome of patience  and this winner could be very good next season.

The star of the show was GALOPIN DES CHAMPS who was back to his brilliant best despite a less than fluent effort at the last. He made all and having beaten MASTER McSHEE nine lengths at Leopardstown in February thrashed him eighteen lengths here. GALOPIN DES CHAMPS blotted his copybook at Cheltenham in the Turners with BOB OLINGER stuffed and is now 4/1 joint favourite with this year's winner A PLUS TARD for the 2023 Gold Cup and that's one to keep all jumps fans happy during the long summer months ahead.

Looking ahead to the weekend and small fields are the order of the day at Sandown's Jumps Finale fixture. 

The taps have bene turned on to ensure Good ground for the jumpers but only five go in the Celebration Chase, the final UK Grade 1 over 3200m. The clash between NUBE NEGRA and GREANETEEN intrigues and there's little between them despite the Tingle Creek form. I think NUBE NEGRA comes into this the fresher horse and for that reason I give him the edge. SCEAU ROYAL is interesting back at this trip having failed to stay 4000m at Aintree a fortnight ago. ROUGE VIF is decent on his day but that's not been for a while and it's a big ask even after corrective wind surgery.

The Oaksey Chase is a Grade 2 over 4400m - just fur go to post and to be honest it's a poor race. SAINT CALVADOS was fifth to FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES at Aintree in the Melling (MISTER FISHER pulled up) and that might be good enough in these calmer waters. Just four in the Grade 2 Select Hurdle over 4200m. McFABULOUS was no match for EPATANTE at Aintree but wasn't disgraced but INDEFATIGABLE was going strongly in the Grade 1 Mares Hurdle when falling at Cheltenham and while I'm not certain she'd have won that effort puts her right in this.

More rain in Ireland but the Punchestown Festival which starts on Tuesday next week goes ahead on Good to Soft ground. Three Grade 1 races on the first day - I've already mentioned the 3200m chase but we also have the 3200m novice hurdle in which Ballymore winner SIR GERHARD leads the entries while BOB OLINGER, arguably the most fortunate winner at Cheltenham, bids to maintain his unbeaten fencing record in the 4800m novice chase. 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:50 AM, Ohokaman said:

They will all be most welcome - unfortunately, it looks as though ZAAKI won't come this year because they want to win the Cox Plate with him.

The sprint division up here doesn't look too strong yet and there could be some easy pickings at Ascot - by Newmarket, the Commonwealth Cup horses will be in the mix and it will be tougher.

I'll get to reviewing the weekend's action in due time but it's a very busy week with both jumps action in Ireland at Punchestown and all roads on the flat scene heading to the Newmarket Guineas Festival starting on Friday.

I'll start with the Flat racing first.

Wednesday sees the opening card of the season at Ascot where the continued dry spell has left the ground Good to Firm. It's billed as "Trials Day" for the Royal meeting which is just seven weeks away (!).

Three of the big races from June do have vaguely recognisable trials - the Sagaro over 3200m is the Gold Cup trial albeit the big race is of course over 800m further. Seven go to post and the top rated is TASHKHAN who chased home TRUESHAN in the Stayers race on Champions Day. The problem is all his form is on a slow surface and this is going to be quick ground for the time of year. That's less of an issue for PRINCESS ZOE who chased home the ill-fated Subjectivist in last year's Gold Cup. You'd think she's want every inch of 4000m and this might surprisingly be on the sharp side. 

I quite like WORDSWORTH from the Aidan O'Brien stable. He was second to KEMARI in the Queen's Vase over 2800m last June and chased home HURRICANE LANE in both the Irish Derby and the Grand Prix de Paris. Later efforts were more moderate but he returned with a nice win at Gowran Park a couple of weeks ago and that race fitness will be a big help.

Just five go in the Group 3 Commonwealth Cup Trial over 1200m. GO BEARS GO was a seriously good juvenile running third in the Phoenix, runner up in the Norfolk and the Flying Childers and winning the Railway. If he's kept that form, he'll go close but he faces the first and second from the Mill Reef, WINGS OF WAR and HIERARCHY (the former has to carry a 4 lb penalty) as well as the useful Hannon type EHRAZ. It'll be a race to watch closely.

The Paradise over the straight 1600m is billed as a Queen Anne Trial but I suspect none of the four will see which way BAAEED goes in June. VALIANT PRINCE represents Charlie Appleby and Godolphin and looked good in a couple of Meydan handicaps.

Friday sees the first day of the Guineas Festival at Newmarket - the ground is Good, Good to Firm in places on the Rowley Mile. The opening day feature is the Jockey Club Stakes, a Group 2 over 2400m. YIBIR is 1/2 favourite and he ran a fine race in defeat in the Sheema Classic on World Cup night. He's well ahead of the others on the figures and should win this.

Saturday has the Palace House for the sprinters over 1000m and of course the first classic of the season, the 2000 Guineas over the 1600m. 19 have been entered and NATIVE TRAIL is currently around Evens. Sunday has the Group 2 Dahlia for the fillies and mares and the 1000 Guineas also over the straight 1600m. 16 have been entered but the huge news yesterday was the scratching of long time ante post favourite INSPIRAL Aidan O'Brien's TENEBRISM is now 11/4 favourite with DISCOVERIES 11/2 and impressive Naas maiden winner TUESDAY at 8s.

More on these races later in the week.