RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Stodge (or anyone else knowledgeable) - what do you think about Crystal Pegasus as a 3200m prospect in a race like the Sydney Cup. 

Was strong at end of slow (early) 2600m event at Flemington. Would it be as effective if the pace was quicker from the start.

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, Hufkissen said:

Stodge (or anyone else knowledgeable) - what do you think about Crystal Pegasus as a 3200m prospect in a race like the Sydney Cup. 

Was strong at end of slow (early) 2600m event at Flemington. Would it be as effective if the pace was quicker from the start.

Thanks in advance.

Raced in the UK up to 2400m - beaten at Wolverhampton on the Tapeta on his only try at the trip. The dam never went further than 2000m so I'd have thought a true-run 2600m might be an ask. A slower pace race might play to his speed over shorter trips. The one thing his UK form suggests is avoid Soft or Heavy ground - he won on ground described as Good/Soft at Bath but it never gets too slow there thanks to the downland turf. 

I'd be doubtful about 3200m to be honest even though I know 2000m horses have performed over the trip.

1 hour ago, stodge said:

Raced in the UK up to 2400m - beaten at Wolverhampton on the Tapeta on his only try at the trip. The dam never went further than 2000m so I'd have thought a true-run 2600m might be an ask. A slower pace race might play to his speed over shorter trips. The one thing his UK form suggests is avoid Soft or Heavy ground - he won on ground described as Good/Soft at Bath but it never gets too slow there thanks to the downland turf. 

I'd be doubtful about 3200m to be honest even though I know 2000m horses have performed over the trip.

Thank you for your help.

Off then to Meydan for "Super Saturday" - the big Trials evening for World Cup night at the end of the month.

Not a bad card in its own right with two Group 1 races, one on the grass and one on the dirt and a strong Group 2 on the turf for the stayers.

Starting then with the Dirt Group 1 - the third and final Al Maktoum Challenge over 2000m.This looked wide open with HYPOTHETICAL and EVERFAST the main fancies. The latter had run a moderate third in the second round of the Challenge behind the American superstar HOT ROD CHARLIE while the former had impressed when winning a Group 3 over 1600m.

AL Maktoum Challenge Round 3: 

A strong performance from HYPOTHETICAL who, once he'd got to the front, saw it out really well. As we know at Meydan, it's hard to come from behind on the dirt so to go all the way over from stall 14 and still win is quite impressive. REMORSE ran a decent race in second from the three stall - he was runner up at Jebel Ali last time which is the secondary course. EVERFAST flattened out and that may be as good as he is - remember HOT ROD CHARLIE was 13 lengths in front of him last time so while it wouldn't surprise me to see HYPOTHETICAL in the World Cup field, I can't see him being good enough.

The turf Group 1 was the jebel Hatta over 1800m. BARNEY ROY was a late scratching but 2021 winner LORD GLITTERS faced another strong Godolphin rival in ZAKOUSKI while ALFAREEQ looked the best of the Shadwell runners.

Jebel Hatta: 

A race ruined to some extent by a lack of pace which meant it became a 500m sprint off the home turn. That did LORD GLITTERS no favours at all but those close to the pace had a real advantage and ALFAREEQ did it really well - he was second in the Zabeel Mile last time but had form over this slightly longer trip. FINEST SOUND ran a huge race for the Crisfords - he was a handicapper last summer but improved to finish third in Group 3 company on his last run at Newmarket and clearly the improvement has continued and this 5-y-o gelding looks a useful took for a British campaign. URSA MINOR was a long way behind these on the figures but ran very well while ZAKOUSKI disappointed again, perhaps another to not enjoy the dawdling early gallop.

The Group 2 on turf was the City of Gold over 2400m. HUKUM looked a strong favourite for Shadwell but Godolphin were strongly represented with GLOBAL STORM perhaps the best of theirs. However, the favourite got there but only after a protracted duel with WITHOUT A FIGHT who was another Crisford runner to put up a fine effort. Indeed, in the Geoffrey Freer at Newbury last August, HUKUM beat WITHOUT A FIGHT by six lengths - today there was just a head between them and HUKUM was 3 lbs better off so one of them has improved. I'm really looking forward to seeing WITHOUT A FIGHT this summer and could he be an early shout for Melbourne next autumn?

GLOBAL STORM put up a good effort in third and was slightly short of room close home while AL MADHAR was best of the locals in fourth.

On the undercard, the Godolphin horse MAN OF PROMISE bolted up in the 1200m Group 3 turf sprint and will go to the Al Quoz Sprint on World Cup night. He beat the Abbaye winner A CASE OF YOU by nearly five lengths and while EMARAATY ANA flopped and ACKLAM EXPRESS disappointed this was a smart performance full of promise.

The Ras AL Khor is a new race over 1400m on the turf. Godolphin sent a powerful team headed (arguably) by AL SUHAIL and they came home 1-2-3-4 but AL SUHAIL was outside those finishing well back and it was Frankie Dettori on STORM DAMAGE who utilised a low draw to sit behind Buick on AL SUHAIL and swept into the lead 350m out clearing away for a nice win. Outsiders MUTAFAWWIG and PATH OF THUNDER followed the winner home with D'BAI, who missed the start, running on nicely for fourth.

4 hours ago, stodge said:

No problem - just for you (and you heard it here first) - WITHOUT A FIGHT wins the 2022 Melbourne Cup.

Okay, will keep an eye on it. Owned by one of the battling Sheiks?

A quiet spell leading up to next week's fun and games in Gloucestershire.

The ground at Cheltenham improved to Good to Soft after a dry, warm day but showers are forecast tomorrow.

Day One has four Grade 1 races and I'll have a full preview on Sunday - the championship races are the Supreme for the novice hurdlers over 3200m, the Arkle for the novice chasers over 3200m, the Mares hurdle over 4000m and the Champion Hurdle over 3200m.

Just 10 have been entered for the Champion and HONEYSUCKLE is 8/15 to follow up her 2021 success. Indeed, so dominant is she the second favourite is a horse that's been off for a year in the form of APPRECIATE IT, who was a 24-length winner of the Supreme last year. The third favourite, TEAHUPOO, has never run in a Grade 1 and the best of the home team is the mare EPATANTE who was 10 lengths behind HONEYSUCKLE last year. ADAGIO was second in the Triumph last year and ran well behind GOSHEN at Wincanton - I've had a small each way bet at 16s.

Wednesday sees the Ballymore for the intermediate novice hurdlers over 4000m, the Brown Advisory for the staying novice chasers over 4800m, the Bumper (or NH Flat Race) over 3200m and the feature is the Champion Chase over 3200m. 10 have been entered for the last named and it looks between the Irish chances ENERGUMENE and CHACUN POUR SOI and the 2021 Arkle winner SHISHKIN. SHISHKIN and ENERGUMENE fought out an epic dual in the Clarence House at Ascot with the former prevailing while CHACUN POUR SOI has never run to the same form in England as he has in Ireland. I like NUBE NEGRA each way - he was second in this last year and loves decent ground. I'm on each way at 10s.

The feature next Thursday is the Stayers Hurdle over 4800m and on Friday all roads lead to the Gold Cup for the championship chasers over 5200m.

Final declarations are through for the first day of the Cheltenham Festival on Tuesday. Weekend rain has eased the ground back to Good to Soft, Soft in places which for the jumpers is pretty much ideal. The traditional Anglo-Irish rivalry has been re-ignited by the 23-5 drubbing dealt out by the visitors last year and of course Thursday next week is St Patrick's Day.

Four Grade 1 races to give the opening day a real boost.

Supreme Novices Hurdle:  

The championship race for the 5-y-o and upward novice hurdlers - these have often come through the point-to-point or Bumper spheres. With just 9 declared, it's short on quantity and long on quality. The current joint favourites are from either side of the Irish Sea. Nicky Henderson, one of the top two British trainers, saddles two and both have real chances - CONSTITUTION HILL is the more favoured in the market disputing favourite position. He ran second in an Irish point last spring and has won both his British hurdle starts by wide margins - the second being the Grade 1 Tolworth on heavy ground by 12 lengths. 

He's short on experience and the absence of a big field will help but he's going the other way round and that's a question but he jumps leanly and brings a high level of form. His stable mate JONBON is a year older and won both an Irish point and a Newbury Bumper before his three winning hurdle races this spell.  He's won both the Kennel Gate and the Rossington Main and shown flat tracks hold no terrors but Cheltenham is undulating and he'll not be in his comfort zone. I'd fancy him more on better ground.

The Irish are of course heavily involved - DYSART DYNAMO has won two Bumpers and two Hurdles by wide margins and was particularly impressive at Punchestown in mid January. He swerved Leopardstown and comes here seemingly in fine form. On last season's form, KILCRUIT would have been the clear choice - he was runner up to SIR GERHARD in the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham and went one better in the equivalent at Punchestown. He looked an obvious hurdler but was turned over at 1/14 at Cork and 4/9 at Leopardstown and while he made amends at Punchestown last time, the sense for me is 3200m is short enough and when the taps get turned on coming down the hill, he's going to struggle for all I expect him to be finishing well.

The one I like at a price is MIGHTY POTTER who won the Grade 1 over this distance at Leopardstown at Christmas having run a close third in the Royal Bond when the ground might have been quick enough.

My call is MIGHTY POTTER at 8/1 is the each way value but I think CONSTITUTION HILL is the one to beat.

Arkle Novices Chase

The championship race for the speedy first season chasers. This has been won by some very good horses and last year of course SHISHKIN sauntered home and we'll see him in the Champion Chase on Wednesday. 11 go this time but perhaps just a sense this isn't the strongest of chasing crops. EDWARDSTONE is the solid favourite for the home team - he won the Henry VIII at Sandown and was perfectly good in the Kingmaker last time. His jumping is his biggest asset and with a clear round he's going to take a lot of beating.

BLUE LORD and RIVIERE D'ETEL were first and second in the Irish Arkle at Leopardstown. The latter made a mess of the last which cost her the race and even in receipt of the 7lb mares allowance I can't see her jumping standing up to the Cheltenham test. The three have a little in hand of the others on the figures - HAUT EN COULEURS fell in the Irish Arkle and the likes of GABYNAKO and MAGIC DAZE just don't look good enough.

Despite 7 of the 11 runners coming from Ireland, I think this race stays in England courtesy of EDWARDSTONE.

Close Brothers Mares Hurdle:

The championship race for the intermediate mares and one which doesn't deserve Grade 1 status and illustrates hat happens when the breeders get too much power. The horses are rated 145-150 which is really Grade 3 but those with broodmares want to enhance their offering before sending it to a Leger winner.

It's wide open and the Irish have a strangle hold. STORMY IRELAND won the Relkeel last time having finished 36 lengths behind HONEYSUCKLE at Fairyhouse (that illustrates the quality gap). QUEEN'S BROOK was third in the 2020 Champion Bumper but hasn't really improved while MARTELLO SKY looks the best of a moderate home challenge.

STORMY IRELAND, with her solid course and distance form, looks the one.

Champion Hurdle:

I wonder if the weakness of the mares race derives from the fact the top mares are now taking on the geldings helped by the 7 lb allowance. I previewed this race in my previous - I expect HONEYSUCKLE to retain her crown and I've backed ADAGIO at 16s for a place.

You can almost smell the anticipation with Cheltenham just 21 hours away as I write (could also be the drains at Stodge Towers of course) and I'm already looking ahead to the second day and its four championship races:

Ballymore Novices Hurdle:

Over 4200m, this is the race for the intermediate novices and often the most significant for future chasers. Just nine go to post so another small field and six from Ireland. SIR GERHARD is the 8/11 favourite and I think connections have done themselves a huge favour swerving the Supreme tomorrow. He beat KILCRUIT in the Champion Bumper last year but at Punchestown was beaten into third by the aforementioned. As a hurdler, he's done nothing wrong and his maiden win at Leopardstown's Christmas meeting was hugely impressive. He duly followed up at the Dublin Racing Festival in Grade 1 company beating THREE STRIPE LIFE by six lengths and suggesting a step up in trip would only help. 

I really like to see these Bumper types going over 4000m as 3200m over jumps is often too sharp for them. SIR GERHARD will improve for the trip and he's hard to oppose. The best of the British is STAGE STAR who won the Challow at Newbury at Christmas so you could argue his form is pretty strong and I certainly think he's over priced at 7s and worth a play.

Brown Advisory Chase

Over 4800m, the championship event for the staying novices but it can take a lot out of a horse and surprisingly not that many have gone on to Gold Cup glory in recent times. Eleven go and this is one of those rare events where the Irish are playing second fiddle to the home team. Favourite overnight is BRAVEMANSGAME who was won all four steeplechases and turned a seven lengths defeat to AHOY SENOR in last year's Sefton Hurdle at Aintree into a seven length victory in the Feltham at Kempton.

BRAVEMANSGAME is a superb jumper or "lepper" as the Irish call it and as long as his jumping remains of that quality, he's the one to beat.  He gave the weight in a Limited Handicap at Newbury last time but he has huge claims on level terms with these.

His main opponent is L'HOMME PRESSE, also unbeaten in four chases but he's not gone beyond 4000m and while he was impressive in the Scilly Isles last time, the extra 800m against a hors with proven stamina such as BRAVEMANSGAME is the question. AHOY SENOR looks held by the favourite. The Irish challenge is headed by FURY ROAD, who won the Neville Hotels Chase at Leopardstown at Christmas but was put in his place by GALOPIN DES CHAMPS (of whom more in the next contribution) last time. BEACON EDGE won the Drinmore at Fairyhouse and would have claims on that but his jumping is far from reliable and he's fallen twice in four chasing runs.

Champion Bumper:

A 3200m Flat race might seem an anomaly at the premier jumps festival but this race is viewed by many as the race of the week in terms of spotting the future hurdling and chasing stars. Last year's winner SIR GERHARD is strong favourite for the Ballymore while the 2020 winner FERNY HOLLOW was a strong fancy for the Arkle before being sidelined with an injury. The 2019 winner ENVOI ALLEN was strong favourite for the Marsh before falling last year. 

It's usually an Irish benefit and while there's a field of 22 declared, the bookies think only three matter. REDEMPTION DAY is probably the Willie Mullins second string for all he won a significant Bumper at Leopardstown's Christmas meeting. He literally could be anything but he faces two well-touted and potentially top-class rivals and their clash has polarised Irish racing opinion. In the Gordon Elliott corner we have AMERICAN MIKE, a facile winner of two races including a Listed before Christmas. In the Mullins corner, we have FACILE VEGA, the second foal of the champion mare Quevega. He won the Grade 2 Future Stars at the Dublin Racing Festival in a canter so which side would you be on? FACILE VEGA is 6/4, AMERCAN MIKE is 5/2 - that makes REDEMPTION DAY at 6s an each way bet to nothing.

Queen Mother Champion Chase:

The championship race for the speed chasers. On the ratings, there's very little between SHISHKIN (177), ENERGUMENE (175) and CHACUN POUR SOI (176) and they are ahead of NUBE NEGRA (168) who was second in this last year while last year's winner PUT THE KETTLE ON is at 33s. What I'm saying is by most measures this is a much stronger renewal than last year when CHACUN POUR SOI was only third - hang on a minute. 

Yes, it's complicated by the fact CHACUN POUR SOI has never performed in England the way he does in Ireland. Apart from his narrow defeat in this race last year, he was a tailed off fifth on his seasonal re-appearance in the Tingle Creek but we know CHACUN POUR SOI starts the campaign rustier than my golf swing but improvs with racing and he certainly looked better at the Dublin Racing Festival.

The fact is however he now faces two potentially exceptional two mile chasers from last year's novice ranks. SHISHKIN has won all seven of his chases. He thrashed ELDORADO ALLEN twelve lengths in the Arkle last year and this year won the Desert Orchid slamming Tingle Creek winner GREANETEEN and then won an epic duel in the Clarence House with ENERGUMENE.

The latter is no mug, however. His defeat to SHISHKIN at Ascot was his first in six chases including a demolition job of a top field at Punchestown last spring.

I've backed NUBE NEGRA each way but who wins? SHISHKIN is the obvious choice with course experience but I thought ENERGUMENE gave him a real fright at Ascot and on slightly better ground, were I to be offered a free £100 bet, I'd be on the Irish horse at 7/2 to upset the favourite (though obviously I'd want NUBE NEGRA to beat them both).

On then to Thursday which used to be the weakest of the days but less so now.

Three championship Grade 1 races on the card:

Turner Novices Chase:

The championship race for the intermediate novice chasers and incredibly not only just four runners but no British trained representative which is extraordinary. On paper, it's the most mouthwatering of clashes between BOB OLINGER and GALOPIN DES CHAMPS. The former has only been beaten once in seven outings and that was when going down by a length on his hurdle debut to the Bumper winner FERNY HOLLOW. His two chase wins have been impressive but this is the acid test.

The most impressive winner of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival was GALOPIN DES CHAMPS who hacked up in a 4200m beginners chase and then won the Grade 1 at the Dublin Racing Festival. He was a top novice winning the Grade 1 staying novices hurdle at Punchestown and technically he's 3 lbs ahead of BOB OLINGER on the figures. 

This reads akin to the great Arkle-Mill House battle of 1964 and there are echoes. I can see why BOB OLINGER is favourite given his proven speed which could be invaluable if it's tactical. 

Ryanair Chase:

A more recent addition to the Cheltenham menu but it has filled a gap between the 3200m and 4800m events. Nine go to post and ALLAHO bids to follow up his convincing win of last year. He won a very strong John Durkan and was an easy winner of the Horse & Jockey at Thurles and comes here as one of the highest rated jumps horses. CONFLATED won the Irish Gold Cup last time and did it really well - it's arguable whether the drop back in trip is ideal and many thought the Gold Cup would be the more logical target but it may be the flat track speed he showed at Leopardstown will play well here.

Of the others, ELDORADO ALLEN won the Denman at Newbury last time and has some decent form at 4000m for all he has about 10 lbs to find at the ratings with ALLAHO. The one I like at a price is JANIDIL at 14s. He was well behind CONFLATED ad GALVIN in his past two runs at 4800m and the fact he got to within two lengths of ALLAHO in the John Durkan makes me think the 4000m is his trip and I fancy him strongly to be in the three.

Stayers Hurdle:

10 go in the championship race for the staying hurdlers over 4800m. It's actually an intriguing and open contest in contrast to many others this week. Last year's winner FLOORING PORTER was second to KLASSICAL DREAM after a bad start at Leopardstown. The fact is FLOORING PORTER benefitted from the absence of a crowd last year - he has plenty of temperament and it's quite possible he could burn all his energy before the start.

KLASSICAL DREAM has a serious chance - after a long break, he returned on decent ground at Punchestown last spring and beat a class field. However, he flopped last time in the Galmoy and that's left a question especially if, as seems possible, he is taken on for the lead.  The two Irish are top rated at 166 and 164 respectively but the three top British challengers are all above 160 and there's not much between them. 

CHAMP won the Long Walk at Ascot beating THYNE HILL and PAISLEY PARK but the last named got his revenge with an extraordinary win in the Cleeve last time, despite losing 20 lengths at the start. THYNE HILL looks the safe bet for all he has been beaten in this before - the drying ground will help and he's had a quiet preparation. The other five are all in the 140s and low 150s so have plenty to find. ROYAL KAHALA won the Galmoy last time but I'm to be convinced about the form.

There won't be a dry eye in the house if PAISLEY PARK can regain his title but it's a big ask. KLASSICAL DREAM has a big chance if bouncing back from the Galmoy but THYNE HILL looks the percentage call. 

I'll get to the review of day one shortly but for neatness I'll round off the previews with the final day's action on Friday.

The huge news has bee the large amount of rain - far more than expected - which fell yesterday and today. The ground is officially heavy but with two fine and sunny days forecast, I'm sure it'll dry back to soft pretty quickly tomorrow.

By Friday, we could be back nearer Good to Soft as it does drain well at Prestbury Park.

Three championship Grade 1 races on the final day:

Triumph Hurdle:

For the juvenile hurdlers over 3200m, this isn't a race which generally launches careers and if anything tends to end them. It used to be run at a murderous pace which would bottom inexperienced horses but with only 12 going this year, there's every chance we'll see something more sensible.

The Irish dominate the ante post market with VAUBAN favourite after his defeat of FIL D'OR at the Dublin Festival in early February. On his hurdling debut, VAUBAN had been beaten by PIED PIPER at Punchestown and there was some surprise but in hindsight with PIED PIPER winning a Grade 2 at Cheltenham, perhaps VAUBAN just failed for experience. It's not easy to choose between them but Willie Mullins has made no secret of the regard in which he holds VAUBAN.

The British look outclassed but I'm less convinced especially if the ground is much softer than expected. PORTICELLO won the Finale on deep ground at Chepstow having just lost out to KNIGHT SALUTE in the Finale at Doncaster - KNIGHT SALUTE seems best on a sound surface and was a convincing winner of the Adonis for all the second, TEDDY BLUE, ran home strongly. PORTICELLO would be my each way shout against the Irish at 14s.

Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle:

The championship for the staying novices over 4800m and with nineteen runners, a serious race. GINTO won the Lawlor's at Naas over New Year and swerved Leopardstown - he may be the best of these but I'm not convinced. HILLCREST won the Prestige at Haydock and heavy ground would hold no fears - the truth is, he's a chaser in the making.

Plenty have chances not least MINELLA COCOONER, SHANTREUSE and STAG HORN and to be honest I don't see a punting angle . HILLCREST is my idea of the winner but I'll be keeping a close eye on the ground.

Gold Cup:

Worth over £350,000 to the winner, this is national hunt racing's Blue Riband, the championship staying chase over 5200m. 11 go to post including the last three winners in MINELLA INDO (2021) and AL BOUM PHOTO (2019 and 2020). It's almost unheard of a horse to win a Gold Cup, lose it and then win it again. 

Joint favourites currently are A PLUS TARD and GALVIN. A PLUS TARD tore apart the best of the British at Haydock in the Betfair but in the Savils at Leopardstown at Christmas just came off second best to GALVIN. The latter won the 6000m National Hunt Chase last year so the track and the trip hold no fears.

MINELLA INDO remains top rated but flopped at Kempton in the King George and was well held by CONFLATED in the Irish Gold Cup. It could well be Cheltenham will re-invigorate but it will have to. AL BOUM PHOTO has had his usual light preparation - he was third in last year's Gold Cup and second at Punchestown. I think the softer ground will help him by blunting the superior tactical speed of some of the others.

The best of the British now seems to be PROTEKTORAT who was an emphatic winner at Aintree last November but he's never mixed it with the very best at this level and I have my doubts. TORNADO FLYER won the King George at Kempton but this is a totally different race and I'm not convinced he'll stay the trip.

The softening ground gives proven stayer and mudlark ROYALE PAGAILLE a chance but I can't forget he as 50 lengths behind MINELLA INDO last year.

MY idea of the winner is GALVIN but despite the history, I think AL BOUM PHOTO is the each way bet at 14s.

The opening day of the Cheltenham Festival took place on a dry afternoon with the ground officially described as Good to Soft but the times and those walking the course suggested it was a bit faster than that and nearer Good ground.

Four Grade 1 races on a stellar opening card kicking off with the Supreme Novices Hurdle which for many was the race of the week. Nicky Henderson saddled two fancied runners in CONSTITUTION HILL and JONBON while the best of the Irish looked to be DYSART DYNAMO.

Supreme Novices Hurdle: 

No prisoners taken and in the end only one prevailed and it was a scintillating 22-length win for CONSTITUTION HILL who emulated APPRECIATE IT (of whom more anon) in 2021. JONBON was made to look ordinary by his stable companion and DYSART DYNAMO was already beaten when coming down two out.

KILCRUIT ran as though another 800m wouldn't go amiss which is typical of Bumper performers but the winner was right out the top drawer and indeed ran his 3200m 5.7 seconds quicker than the Champion Hurdle (of which more also anon). Immediately post race owner Michael Buckley suggested CONSTITUTION HILL might go to Punchestown which would be interesting but clearly he's going to be a Champion Hurdle contender in 2023 if all goes well and a most exciting prospect he would be.

I'm not sure what they will do with JONBON - perhaps send him over fences or they could try to work a different route than CONSTITUTION HILL.

Following that, we had the first Novice chase of the meeting for the speedballs over 3200m. Favourite was the Alan King trained EDWARDSTONE who had impressed in five runs including the Henry VIII at Sandown and the Kingmaker at Warwick.

Racing Post Arkle Novices Chase: 

A prime example of jumping winning jumps races as EDWARDSTONE put in a faultless display (including a nifty swerve to avoid a fallen rival) and was just too good for the others though GABYNAKO ran a blinder at second at a big price. You'd think they might go further with EDWARDSTONE who looks as though 4000m would be ideal - I'd love to see him in a King George on decent ground. I suspect he'll got to Aintree and that will be his lot. The others looked a bit ordinary and after a couple of very strong years for the novice chasers just a suspicion this crop may not be as good.

Next was the Mares Hurdle over 4000m - known as the David Nicholson after the famous trainer this wasn't the strongest renewal and is really only a Grade 1 in name.

Close Brothers Mares Hurdle: 

A double for trainer Nicky Henderson and jockey Nico de Boinville following CONSTITUTION HILL's win in the opener. MARIE'S ROCK benefitted from the solid pace as she can be a little headstrong. She's only rated 140 which is absurdly low for a Grade 1 and had won handicaps this year. The Irish challenge hit the crossbar with second, third and fourth places - QUEEN'S BROOK looked the winner coming down to the last but didn't quite get home while STORMY IRELAND found little for pressure from the last.

On then to the feature of the first day, the Champion Hurdle over 3200m. HONEYSUCKLE won this last year starting a miraculous spell for trainer Henry de Bromhead and jockey Rachel Blackmore. To be fair, HONEYSUCKLE has always looked something special and came into this race unbeaten in 14.

Champion Hurdle: 

The roof lifted off the stands and the Queen reigns supreme. HONEYSUCKLE made it 15 straight here and to be honest she was just too good for these. Some will question, with EPATANTE finishing second, the wisdom of a 7 lb allowance for the mares and that's a debate which is going to rage over here. Would ZANAHIYR have won if the allowance were 3 lbs? Frankly, I doubt it but the allowance means the top mares can run against the geldings and the Grade 1 Mares Hurdle looks an ordinary race.

Blackmore did nothing wrong and HONEYSUCKLE is exceptional - EPATANTE flattened the last but it made no odds and some reputations were well and truly trashed in her wake. How she would go against CONSTITUTION HILL is a question many will be musing over in the months to come. For now, I imagine a run round Punchestown before the summer off would be the plan. I think EPATANTE might go to Aintree and then Sandown.

With the Irish winning two of the other races, the Prestbury Cup score after the first day was UK 4 Ireland 3. The times suggested the chase course in particular was rising fast with all three steeplechases being run in below standard times.

The second day of Cheltenham took place in contrasting conditions to the first day. Rain, which started at 9 am, fell all day amounting to nearly an inch. The problem was clerk of the course, Jon Pullin, had been advised there would be little or no rain and following the fast times of the first day, had selectively watered overnight.

Rain on watered ground meant a rapid deterioration in ground conditions from Soft at the start of racing to Heavy by the time of the feature Champion Chase. The ground was wet and sloppy rather than holding so they were getting through but it undoubtedly impacted on events.

Four Championship Grade 1 events on the card starting with the Ballymore for the intermediate novice hurdlers over 4200m. SIR GERHARD, last year's Champion Bumper winner, had swerved the Supreme the previous day and went off odds on favourite against what didn't look the strongest of opposition:

Ballymore Novices Hurdle: 

A commanding and authoritative performance by SIR GERHARD and while some pundits after the race were musing on the horse dropping back in trip, that's the last thing I would do. He looks every inch a chaser and I could see him in a Gold Cup field in 2024. To be fair, THREE STRIPE LIFE was eight lengths behind SIR GERHARD in the Bumper last year and cut the gap to three and a half lengths and I though the third (completing a clean sweep for the Irish) also put up an effort full of promise but SIR GERHARD just looked so much better on the slower ground over this longer trip and it'll be fascinating to see where he goes next.

The staying novice chase, the Brown Advisory, lost some of its lustre when a clearly angry Paul Nicholls withdrew BRAVEMANSGAME on account of the ground - I suspect the horse will now got to Aintree. With FURY ROAD also scratched, it was a reduced field which went to post and new favourite was L'HOMME PRESSE who looked certain to enjoy the ground but who had never gone beyond 4000m.

Brown Advisory Novices Chase: 

Clearly, stamina was not an issue and L'HOMME PRESSE gave trainer Venetia Williams and jockey Charlie Deutsch their first Festival winner. It was also a huge success for Sandown Park who saw the three winners of their Grade 1 events - CONSTITUTION HILL (Tolworth), EDWARDSTONE (Henry VIII) and L'HOMME PRESSE (Scilly Isles) - all follow up at Cheltenham for the first time. 

L'HOMME PRESSE looks a serious horse to follow and I'd love to see him in the Betfair at Haydock if the ground comes up soft. I think he would have beaten FAROUK D'ALENE even if the latter had stood up two out but AHOY SENOR comes out of this with a lot of credit. He doesn't jump with the fluency needed at this stage and if connections can get that sorted, he looks a very nice prospect. 

The Champion Bumper ended the card by which time conditions were bordering on the desperate. This had been billed as a match between AMERICAN MIKE and FACILE VEGA 

Champion Bumper: 

With parts of the course waterlogged, this was as bad as you'll ever see at Cheltenham but FACILE VEGA handled the conditions superbly and saw off AMERICAN MIKE comfortably with JAMES'S GATE running a decent race in third. How good will the winner turn out? Impossible to know at this time - we know what happened to SIR GERHARD and it may well be FACILE VEGA ends up in the 2023 Ballymore rather than the Supreme but it's far too early to tell. I know Gordon Elliott thinks a lot of the runner up and I'm sure he'll fancy his chances on better ground perhaps at Punchestown in a re-match.

The Champion Chase was the day's feature but with NUBE NEGRA withdrawn (taking my ante post voucher with it), only seven went to post but the race appeared to rest between CHACUN POUR SOI and the two exciting novices from last year, SHISHKIN and ENERGUMENE, who had clashed so brilliantly in the Clarence House at Ascot.

Queen Mother Champion Chase: 

A race full of drama. SHISHKIN never went a yard and was pulled up before halfway. To be fair, Nicky Henderson didn't directly blame the Clerk of the Course and he has in the past taken SHISHKIN out of races run on very soft or heavy ground. Perhaps he thought the horse could handle wet ground but the writing was on the wall the second the tapes went up.

CHACUN POUR SOI was travelling well in front when blundering at the ditch and firing Patrick Mullins out the front door. With his opposition gone, Paul Townend kept it simple on ENERGUMENE and won very easily. FUNAMBULE SIVOLA maintained the excellent Festival for Venetia Williams in second and while it was an anticlimactic farewell, POLITOLOGUE finished fourth and got a good round of applause as he left the unsaddling enclosure. ENERGUMENE is a very good horse - whether there'll be a re-match with SHISHKIN at Aintree is, I think, doubtful. I suspect SHISHKIN will go 4000m at Aintree and ENERGUMENE will head for Punchestown.

Elsewhere, dual Grand National winner TIGER ROLL ran his final race in the 6000m Cross Country Chase and he so nearly made it a victorious send off but was ironically beaten by his stable mate in the same ownership, DELTA WORK. I wasn't too impressed by those booing the winner as he came in and it must have been mixed feelings for trainer Gordon Elliott and owner Michael O'Leary but the latter has always worn his heart on his sleeve with the horse who owes no one anything and has won £1.2 million in win and place money including 5 Festival wins.

The third day of the Cheltenham Festival saw a much improved afternoon weather-wise with a dry spell albeit with cloudier periods.

For those ignorant of Prestbury Park, there are two separate courses - the Old and the New. The first two days of the meeting took place on the Old Course which, by the end of Wednesday's deluge, was a churned-up quagmire. However, the New Course had fresh ground and hadn't been watered by the Clerk on Monday evening - yes, it had taken a lot of rain but was in much better shape and described as Soft.

After two days, the Irish led the Prestbury Cup 8-6. 

There were some withdrawals on account of the changed going but nothing seriously affecting the three Grade 1 races which turned with just four runners in the Turners Novices Chase over 4000m. This featured, as it was St Patrick's Day, a full-blooded Irish clash between BOB OLINGER and GALOPIN DES CHAMPS. Both were unbeaten over fences - over hurdles, BOB OLINGER had the better form overall but both had won races at the 2021 Festival.

Turners Novices Chase: 

As we all know, horse racing is life - drama played out on stages many and various where fates are decided on decisions taken in a moment.

For Paul Townend, it was all going so well until after the last when GALOPIN DES CHAMPS, a bold and exuberant jumper, paid the penalty for one bold jump too many. Let's be fair - he had BOB OLINGER cooked and Rachael Blackmore on the latter seemed almost embarrassed by the media attention as her horse hadn't run well but had ended up a Grade 1 winner. As for GALOPIN DES CHAMPS, the sky really is the limit. Is he a future Gold Cup winner or could be back for the Ryanair instead? They will have to bring his jumping under some kind of control as currently he is his own worst enemy but he's as exciting a talent as any I've seen for a while.

The Ryanair saw last year's winner ALLAHO sent off 4/7 to follow up.

Ryanair Chase: 

A devastating performance from ALLAHO who is supreme at the niche distance of 4000m. They tried him at shorter last year at Punchestown and he was no match for a CHACUN POUR SOI at the top of his game. Could he go further? You think of a race like the King George on a flat track and I'd love to see him in that race against L'HOMME PRESSE and perhaps GALOPIN DES CHAMPS - it'll never happen but a man can dream.

My each way ticket on JANIDIL just paid off - he was never close to the winner at any time and the British challengers were completely put in their place. Next year may be tougher IF GALOPIN DES CHAMPS turns up and I'd pay good money to watch that but for now ALLAHO is just top dog at this trip.

The feature race was the Stayers Hurdle which, in contrast to some of the other races, looked wide open with the field headed by last year's winner FLOORING PORTER in a race which included past winners PAISLEY PARK and LISNAGAR OSCAR. Favourite was fellow Irish challenger KLASSICAL DREAM who had looked good earlier in the season but who had flopped in the Galmoy last time:

Stayers Hurdle: 

Another champion re-gained his title and this was the race of the week so far in my book. A brilliant bit of front running riding by Danny Mullins especially the way he stacked them up at the top of the hill and quickened off the home turn. THYNE HILL was one of the first off the bridle but held on for second in front of PAISLEY PARK and CHAMP with the three again finishing on top of each other - they were split by five lengths in the Long Walk and by a length and a quarter here. KLASSICAL DREAM did too much too early I thought and perhaps a flatter track and quicker ground will help.

The Flooring Porter Syndicate are a group of Irish lads led by a publican who paid 10,000 euro for the horse and are collectively madder than a box of frogs. 

After another enthralling day which the British won 4-3, to make the score in the Prestbury Cup 11-10 to Ireland going in to Gold Cup day.

The final day of the Cheltenham Festival took place on a glorious afternoon with warm early spring sunshine. The New Course had dried to Good to Soft for the Gold Cup, the feature of the whole week.

The card opened with the Triumph Hurdle, the championship for the 4-y-o hurdlers over 3200m.

The Irish looked to be in a dominant position with VAUBAN, from the Willie Mullins yard, opposed by the unbeaten PIED PIPER and FIL D'OR from the Gordon Elliott stable.

Triumph Hurdle: 

A superb performance by VAUBAN, who is rated 101 on the flat and just had too much speed for the Elliott pair up the hill. PIED PIPER had upset VAUBAN on the latter's hurdling debut at Punchestown at New Year but heavy ground didn't help the second that day and the fitting of a tongue strap had the desired effect at Leopardstown and now here.

Talk already of the 2023 Champion Hurdle but enthusiastic owner Rich Ricci was also talking about a "dual purpose" campaign keeping the horse going through the summer with possible targets the Ebor and, whisper it quietly, the Melbourne Cup. Mullins has had a number of near misses at Flemington but VAUBAN would be comparable to FIORENTE who was rated 108 before his first Melbourne Cup run. The idea of a Melbourne Cup winner winning a Champion Hurdle - well, we'll see. Both placed horses ram well and FIL D'OR looks a chaser in the making.

From the speedy juveniles to the staying novices with the Albert Bartlett over 4800m. This looked wide open with pre-race support for both the English trained HILLCREST and the Irish challenger GINTO.

Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle: 

A rotten week for Gordon Elliott continued with GINTO becoming the fourth fatality of the Festival breaking down before the second last. With HILLCREST flopping, this was left once again to team Mullins who racked up their third win of the day with the unbeaten MR NICE GUY having too much stamina for MINELLA COCOONER who did himself no favours by running too free and jumping too extravagantly. 

Incredibly, this was only the winner's second hurdle race and he looks to have a big future though whether he'll be heading for the Stayers Hurdle or over fences remains to be seen. The second needs to improve his racing style as he clearly has bags of ability. BARDENSTOWN LAD ran well to make it a 1-2-3 for the Irish and BALLYGRIFFIN COTTAGE, for whom fences look inevitable, leading home the British in fourth.

So to the big race of the meeting, the Gold Cup, over 5200m. With past winners MINELLA INDO and AL BOUM PHOTO in the field, the Irish already looked to have all the cards but neither were at the top of the market with last year's runner up A PLUS TARD favoured over GALVIN leaving PROTEKTORAT the best of the home defence.

Cheltenham Gold Cup:  

A brilliant performance by A PLUS TARD who came home 15 lengths to the good from last year's winner MINELLA INDO decisively reversing places from 2021. He's been given a rating of 183 as the third best winner of modern times (behind KAUTO STAR and DENMAN) and it's no surprise. Following is 22 length demolition of the British challengers at Haydock last November, A PLUS TARD relished the steady gallop (despite which, the time was decent) and the drying ground.

Back next year? He's only eight so no reason why not - L'HOMME PRESSE looks the one from the novices though I imagine BRAVEMANSGAME will be a challenger as well. As for the others, PROTEKTORAT ran a fine race in third despite belting the last and he just held off GALVIN and ROYALE PAGAILLE who was much closer this year than last and ran a fine Grand National trial.

AL BOUM PHOTO was sixth and I just wonder if we've seen the last of him at the very top level - CHANTRY HOUSE and TORNADO FLYER were both pulled up - both look more like flat track performers and a race like the King George will suit better.

Despite Henry de Bromhead winning both the Gold Cup and the Champion Hurdle, the day and the meeting belonged to Willie Mullins who saddled 5 winners on the final day and 10 at the meeting to run away with the Trainer's title while his lead jockey Paul Townend won the jockeys' title.

Having been just 11-10 up at the beginning of the final day, the Irish won all seven races to end up 18-10 ahead of the British - not quite the rout of 2021 but still a clear and convincing victory. Record crowds in excess of 60,000 illustrated the continuing appeal and success of the Cheltenham Festival and commercial pressure for a fifth day may be irresistible. At the edges, some complaints over the price of food and drink and poor quality bar service but those are the lessons the course will have to consider going forward. 

So, you're no doubt asking, how was Cheltenham for @stodgeand his ludicrous selections.

Day One:

MIGHTY POTTER - £5 each way at 8/1 - LOST

EDWARDSTONE - £10 Win at 5/2 - WON - Return £35

STORMY IRELAND - £10 Win at 4/1 - LOST

ADAGIO - £5 each way at 16/1 - LOST

Day One LOSS: £5

Day Two:

STAGE STAR - £5 each way at 15/2 - LOST

L'HOMME PRESSE - £10 Win at 9/4 - WON - Return £33.50

NUBE NEGRA - £5 each way at 14s - LOST

ENERGUMENE - £10 Win at 5/2 - WON - Return £35

REDEMPTION DAY - £5 each Way at 6/1 - LOST

Day Two Profit: £18.50

Overall meeting; UP £13.50

Day Three:

JANIDIL - £10 each way at 14/1 - SECOND - Return £45

THYNE HILL - £10 each way at 5/1 - SECOND - Return £22.50

Day Three Profit: £27.50

Overall Meeting: UP £41

Day Four:

PORTICELLO - £10 each way at 14/1 - LOST

AL BOUM PHOTO - £10 each way at 14/1 - LOST

Day Four Losses : £40

Overall Meeting; UP £1

Basically, I broke even which, as Kenny Rogers reminds us, is all for which a gambler can hope....

As Cheltenham recedes into memory, a lovely warm sunny week of weather heralds the return of "proper" racing with the English and Irish turf flat race seasons starting on Saturday and Dubai World Cup night at Meydan.

I'll preview the latter starting tomorrow As far as Doncaster and The Curragh are concerned, both are set to start on Soft ground though that might improve through the week. Both start with a 1000m maiden for the juveniles - unusually in Ireland, there is no Aidan O'Brien entry. 

Saturday sees World Cup Night at Meydan - the climax of the Emirates Racing season.

Five Group 1 and three Group 2 races make it as strong a card as any in the year - rivalled only by the Arc and the Breeders Cup in terms of sustained quality. Will we see Godolphin dominate or will the Japanese, emboldened by their performance on Trials night and before that the Breeders Cup, come to the fore?

Going through the Group 1 races first:

AL QUOZ SPRINT:

Run over 1200 rather than 1000m on the grass, a full field of 16 runners goes to post. The betting suggests a match between two Godolphin runners in MAN OF PROMISE and CREATIVE FORCE. The former was 50/1 when finishing eighth in this last year but he looked to have improved a lost when bolting up in a Group 3 three weeks - William Buick has chosen him but this is still a big step forward.

James Doyle is on CREATIVE FORCE who was fifth in the July Cup and sixth in the Haydock Sprint Trophy before winning the Champions Day Sprint on slower ground. He's solid at 1200m but I can't help but feel a stiff 1200m would suit better than this flat track and the absence of a prep race is another concern. SUESA is better known as a 1000m filly but has form at 1200m - she was fourth in the Nunthorpe and fifth in the Abbaye but again has had no prep run - that said, I think she'll love the flat 1200m.A CASE OF YOU won the Abbaye in the Longchamp mud and I'm not convinced he's as effective on better ground. EMARAATY ANA won the Haydock Sprint Trophy but was a long way behind MAN Of PROMISE three weeks ago.

It's the epic question of solid recent form against superior but older form. MAN OF PROMISE looked very good but has to prove it at this level. SUESA is no more than a tentative suggestion and this isn't a race for me to be having a bet.

GOLDEN SHAHEEN:

The Dirt equivalent of the above and the first clash of the night between America and Japan. DR SCHIVEL was second in the Breeders Cup Sprint but flopped in the Malibu though he might not have seen out the 1400m. He's clear top rated and has claims - the best of the Japanese looks like last year's runner up RED LE ZELE who has a decent draw and we know gtets a little further for all his recent Japanese form (up to 1600m) has been uninspiring.

DUBAI TURF:

Over 1800m on the grass. LORD NORTH won this last year and was having his first outing since when going down to ALENQUER at Lingfield in the Winter Derby. That may be decent form and I think LORD NORTH will go close - he faces, in SCHNELL MEISTER, a serious Japanese opponent who was runner up in a Group 1 over 1600m last time. He's won at 1800m and must be respected. MOHAAFETH looked good early last summer but had his limitations exposed in the Juddmonte while COLONEL LIAM won the Pegasus World Cup Turf last time and on that is right in this.

There won't be a dry eye in the house if LORD GLITTERS wins but this looks a very tough renewal and I think LORD NORTH will follow up last year's success.

SHEEMA CLASSIC:

Worth £2.7 million to the winner and the top turf race of the card - over 2400m. A stellar field with six rated over 120. I mentioned ALENQUER and a win for LORD NORTH in the Turf would be a big compliment for this one who I rate very highly but he's got a lot to do on the numbers.

YIBIR was a revelation winning the Voltigeur at York, the Jockey Club Derby at Belmont and the Breeders Cup Turf at Santa Anita on his last three runs. It's no surprise he's favourite but in his first run as a 3-y-o he was behind ALENQUER and ADAYAR at Sandown and that was very strong form.

There's a strong Japanese challenge headed by Japan Cup second and third AUTHORITY and SHAHRYAR and the former won in Saudi Arabia four weeks ago. Hong Kong Vase winner GLORY VASE is top rated on 123 and his win at Sha Tin obviously needs to be respected. I've been waiting for DUBAI HONOUR to run at this trip and he's my idea of an each way type at 12s having run well through the line at Sha Tin. The likes of STELLA VELOCE and PYLEDRIVER are Group 1 winners but only have at best each way claims in this field.

My idea of the Melbourne Cup winner, WITHOUT A FIGHT, is here at 50/1 and that tells you all you need to know about the quality of this race. As to who wins the Sheema Classic, ALENQUER could be underrated by the handicapper and I fancy DUBAI HONOUR each way but YIBIR probably is the one with the improvement.

DUBAI WORLD CUP:

Though now dwarfed by the Saudi Cup, this is the second most valuable race in the world with £5.3 million going to the winning Owner(s).

11 go to post but on all known form only two matter - LIFE IS GOOD was brilliant in the Breeders Cup Dirt Mile and equally impressive slamming KNICKS GO in the Pegasus. He wasn't stopping at 1800m that day but this is 2000m and that's the only question. Against lesser types, he might get away with it but he faces HOT ROD CHARLIE who was impressive in the Al Maktoum Challenge last month.

HOT ROD CHARLIE was runner up in both the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont and was disqualified after being first pas the post in the Travers. The one real blot on his form was the fourth in the Breeders Cup Classic but his strong course and distance form puts him right in this and in a position to exploit any stamina flaws in LIFE IS GOOD. 

COUNTRY GRAMMER and MIDNIGHT BOURBON were second and third behind the local outsider EMBLEM ROAD in the Saudi Cup and there are questions over the value of the form of that race. I take HOT ROD CHARLIE to upset the favourite.

As for the three supporting Group 2 races, AL  NEFUD should be able to utilise his Dirt experience to win the 1600m. Chaudenay winner MANOBO was very impressive in a 2800m Group 3 and should relish the step up to 3200m in the Gold Cup.. Finally, PINEHURST and SEKIFU were first and second in the Saudi Derby four weeks ago and may well occupy the same positions in the UAE equivalent.

The Meydan Carnival ended with the stellar occasion that is World Cup night - arguably one of the top three single days racing of the year outside the UK - I'd put it alongside the Arc and the second day of the Breeders Cup as the best card on a single day.

Five Group 1 races on the card and three decent supporting Group 2 events. 

The opening championship race was the turf sprint over 1200m. Godolphin had a strong hand headed by MAN OF PROMISE who had won well over the course and distance last time beating Abbaye winner A CASE OF YOU. They also had CREATIVE FORCE, winner of the Champions Day Sprint at Ascot while the French filly SUESA had won well at Goodwood and finished fourth in the Nunthorpe.

Al Quoz Sprint: 

The form of the Turf Sprint three weeks ago comprehensively reversed with A CASE OF YOU, despite sweating profusely, coming out on top defeating HAPPY ROMANCE, who had run well in Saudi Arabia last time with MAN OF PROMISE third. The winner had the favoured stands side draw while HAPPY ROMANCE came from six so you can upgrade the runner up's performance I think.  It'll be interesting to see if A CASE OF YOU is prepared for the King's Stand at Ascot - I suspect the second will stay at 1200m for a race like the Platinum Jubilee.

The equivalent on the Dirt was the Golden Shaheen over 1200m which looked a clash between America, represented by four challengers including Breeders Cup Sprint runner up DR SCHIVEL and the Japanese, headed by the runner up in this race last year, RED LE ZELE

Dubai Golden Shaheen: 

One for the locals as the veteran SWITZERLAND won this decisively. I had hoped DRAIN THE CLOCK would make all but he ran out for steam with 200m to go. SWITZERLAND had run sixth from a wide draw in Saudi and scoped dirty after so that was a valid excuse - even so, it took quite a lot to see him as a Group 1 winner.  Out of the pack came the fancied horses but the bird had flown. RED LE ZELE finished second again just in front of DR SCHIVEL and CHAIN OF LOVE so the Japanese were second and fourth having been drawn two and one respectively.

Back to the turf for the next over 1800m and with LORD GLITTERS a late scratching, could 2021 winner LORD NORTH follow up against a strong Japanese challenge headed by SCHNELL MEISTER and PANTHALASSA?

Dubai Turf: 

A tremendous race. Yutaka Yoshida almost rode the perfect race in front on PANTHALASSA but Frankie Dettori showed there's no point getting older if you don't get wiser but he needed every inch of turf to force LORD NORTH's head to a dead heat at the line with the unconsidered VIN DE GARDE a nose back in third. I note the front three were nicely clear of the others headed by SAFFRON BEACH who looks as show she will be as strong force in fillies races in Europe this summer.

As for the Japanese, let's not forget VIN DE GARDE had chased home LORD NORTH in this last year albeit beaten three lengths so he got much closer but Dettori just pulled it out of the fire but another example of the growing strength of Japanese turf racing.as LORD NORTH is a serious horse and multiple Group 1 winner in the UK. 

The feature turf racing of the card was the Sheema Classic over 2400m. Another strong Japanese challenge headed by Derby winner and Japan Cup third SHAHRYAR and the horse who finished one place in front of him last November and who had won well in Saudi last time, AUTHORITY. They faced a strong Godolphin challenge headed by Breeders Cup Turf winner YIBIR.

Sheema Classic: 

Another victory for Japan - indeed, a 1-3 as SHAHRYAR enjoyed being prominent and quickened well off the slow gallop. YIBIR was last early, forced to come wide and came home like a train but couldn't cover the ground in time. However, that rates a huge run in my view and I expect in races like the Coronation Cup and the King George YIBIR will have a more generous pace at which to aim and he's clearly going to be a big player.

They all finished in a heap with even WITHOUT A FIGHT no more than five or six lengths down in twelfth. PYLEDRIVER ran really well in fourth to show he can mic it with the very best after his Hong Kong efforts. AUTHORITY was given a free up front and one or two might be asking why they didn't force a stronger gallop. Nonetheless, yet another superb result for Japan.

The feature was the £5.3 million Dubai World Cup, the world' second richest race after the Saudi Cup. The second and third in that, COUNTRY GRAMMER and MIDNIGHT BOURBON, cam eon to this but now faced Pegasus and Breeders Cup Dirt Mile winner LIFE IS GOOD and Kentucky Derby winner up HOT ROD CHARLIE who had looked so good over course and distance last time.

Dubai World Cup: 

At the top of the straight, you'd have been forgiven for thinking LIFE IS GOOD was going to prove to be the superstar he had seemed at both Del Mar and Gulfstream but the fuel gauge went from full to empty in strides and he collapsed and took the race with him.

Both COUNTRY GRAMMER and HOT ROD CHARLIE had conversely looked in trouble on the home turn but both ran on strongly though Dettori had always had the winner handy whereas Flavien prat on HOT ROD CHARLIE was pushing along after 600m and the horse ran as though he'd want another 400m. The winning time was just under 2 minutes 5 seconds. It would be remiss not to mention the other finisher - CHUWA WIZARD, who I backed in this last year at 20s when it finished second and it ran another huge race.

The three supporting Group 2 races started with the Mile on the Dirt which looked (arguably) one of the best prospects for the locals with AL NEFUD and STORM DAMAGE both strongly fancied but the former ran a shocker trailing home last and it was the unconsidered 80/1 shot BATHRAT LEON who won for Japan making nearly every yard. He had run poorly on his only previous dirt run so that was a real head scratcher.

The Dubai Gold Cup over 3200m was the staying race n the card. Strong favourite was the local Godolphin runner MANOBO who had won the Chaudenay on Arc day an broken the 2800m track record on his last win. However, his stable mate VOLCANIC SKY set the pace and it was too slow for the favourite who pulled away crucial reserves of energy which would find him out in the final 100m. MANOBO worked through the field and challenged VOLCANIC SKY 300m down taking the lead but the Japanese runner STAY FOOLISH was produced by Christophe Lemaire to challenge and as MANOBO's energy ran out the Japanese challenger toom over in the final 50m and scored by half a length. I'm sure William Buick was cursing the lack of early pace and there's no doubt in my mind he'd have won with a stronger gallop.

Finally, the UAE Derby over 1950m which saw Saudi Derby winner PINEHURST go off a narrow favourite over the UAE 2000 Guineas winner AZURE COAST and the likes of COMBUSTION and SEKIFU mounting another strong Japanese challenge. However, none of these figured at the business end as CROWN PRIDE scored another for Japan running down locally trained SUMMER IS TOMORROW.

So, of the eight races on the Meydan card,  Japan won four and a half - the three Group 2 races, the Sheema Classic and a dead heat in the turf and was hugely competitive across the card albeit with one or two of their fancied runners not performing. The Europeans won one and a half, the British with LORD NORTH dead heating in the Turf and the Irish with A CASE FOR YOU in the Al Quoz Sprint. The locals won the Golden Shaheen with SWITZERLAND and the Americans won the big one with COUNTRY GRAMMER. It's hard however not to come way with the sense the rising star (or should that be sun) in world racing is Japan - the Breeders Cup and the Hong Kong International meeting suggested it, the Saudi Cup meeting confirmed it and now in Meydan the Japanese have shown they have the best horses across the board and teal strength in depth). It would be wonderful to see a strong Japanese challenge at Ascot  and perhaps at Flemington to further illustrate their strength.

The Americans remain just about on top in dirt racing and it was a good night for Europe particularly and perhaps surprisingly in the turf sprint and let's not forget LORD NORTH was sandwiched by two Japanese and Japanese horses placed in both the Shaheen and the World Cup as well.

Just a couple of notes from Saturday's opening flat card at Doncaster. It was a good day for Richard Hannon with CHINDIT returning in style to win the Doncaster Mile. His 3-y-o campaign started with a win in the Greenham fifth placings in the 2000 Guineas, St James's Palace and Jacques le Marois so he mixed it with the very best. There was some question as to whether he really stayed the 1600m but he saw it out well on Saturday and the plan looks to be the Lockinge where, presumably, he'll have to take on BAAEED.

The opening 1000m juvenile saw an impressive win from PERSIAN FORCE, also from Team Hannon, who bolted in by five lengths. He's by Mehmas out of Vida Amorosa making him a full to the same stable's GUBBASS who raced up to 1200m as a juvenile but was basically a sprinter. I suspect the aim will be the Coventry at Ascot.

Press day at Ballydoyle today and Aidan O'Brien was waxing lyrical on the chances of both LUXEMBOURG and POINT LONSDALE, both of whom will run in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket. Aidan's best filly seems to be TENEBRISM but the real interest was his very positive comments concerning the unraced WATERVILLE (Camelot - Holy Moon), a half to the really good Sea of Class, who just failed in the Arc. Said WATERVILLE is supposedly Derby standard so his first run will be eagerly awaited.

Having just got started, the Flat goes back into the shadows with jump racing dominating for the next couple of weeks. The feature this coming weekend is the Scottish Grand National over 6400m at Ayr.

Following the impressive showing of PERSIAN FORCE in the Brocklesby at Doncaster, Aidan O'Brien's first juvenile bolted up by seven lengths at Navan yesterday.

Over 1000m on good ground, NEW YORK CITY (Invincible Spirit - Rajeem (ex Diktat)) ran away with the opening maiden. He's a full to INVINCIBLE ARMY, currently standing for 7,500 euros at Yeomanstown Stud in Ireland. 

INVINCIBLE ARMY raced from 2017-19. As a juvenile, in his opening race, he was runner up to a certain MASAR who would go on to win the following year's Derby. He never raced beyond 1200m but was placed in the Gimcrack and the Mill Reef as a juvenile and a decent fourth in the Commonwealth Cup as a 3-y-o.

On that evidence (and his performance yesterday), you'd think NEW YORK CITY might be quite a precocious type so a clash with PERSIAN FORCE in the Coventry is already being talked about as a Ascot highlight. 

As for INVINCIBLE ARMY, his first crop will be juveniles this season - it will be fascinating to see how they fare and particularly if there are any speedy types who might also get to Ascot.

22 hours ago, Craig hitchcock said:

Thank you for the great insights into Cheltenham week , it was certainly great viewing and looking forward to the uk flat season now underway.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words - feel free to chip in with any comments, questions and the like.

Not much to report today but it was Joseph O'Brien's press day yesterday and all the attention on his Cox Plate winner STATE OF REST who will be aimed at a repeat visit to Moonee Valley in the autumn. He'll start in the Tattersalls Gold Cup on May 22nd and if he looks competitive at Group 1 level, races like the Prince of Wales, Eclipse and the Juddmonte might be on the agenda before he is prepared for his Australian campaign.