RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Next week is the five day Glorious Goodwood meeting - the backdrop of the course on the Sussex Downs is one of the finest in the UK. 

The ground is currently a watered Good, Good to Firm in places but unsettled conditions are forecast into the weekend and it won't be an easy call for the course clerk as showers and storms can be very hit and miss.

The quality of the meeting has improved a lot in recent years - there are now three Group 1 races, the Goodwood Cup, the Sussex and the Nassau - these are on the first three days. The final day sees the very valuable Stewards Cup handicap over 1200m.

We've got the entries through for the big races on day one.

13 go in the Goodwood Cup over 3200m. With SUBJECTIVIST injured, STRADIVARIUS has been installed as 4/6 favourite to win this race for an astonishing fifth occasion. No other horse has won this race four times and his rider, Frankie Dettori, would be the first to win six renewals if they can follow up.

It's fair to say the Gold Cup probably wasn't Dettori's finest hour on the horse as he got a very long way back and while he'd not have beaten the winner, he should really have been second or third. SPANISH MISSION was third and re-opposes but he's finished behind STRADIVARIUS plenty of times including in this race. Gold Cup also rans such as SANTIAGO, SERPENTINE, NAYEF ROAD and EMPEROR OF THE SUN were all miles behind and I see little prospect of any of them reversing.

AMHRAN NA BHFAINN made every yard in the Curragh Cup over 2800m and has possibilities but I can't imagine him being that much rope by these quality stayers.

The supporting Group 2 races are the Vintage for the juveniles and the Lennox, both over 1400m. The former has 11 entries and Coventry winner BERKSHIRE SHADOW faces July Stakes winner LUSAIL. The Lennox is one of the most competitive quality races of the season - 23 have been entered. Charlie Appleby has entered both last year's winner SPACE BLUES who is top rated but hasn't been seen since a slightly disappointing run in the Al Quoz Sprint and CREATIVE FORCE, who was a fine fifth in the July Cup. SAFE VOYAGE was the biggest certainty in history at Chester the other day but I missed him (aarrgghh) and he'd have real claims if there was plenty of rain but I'm more interested in LOPE Y FERNANDEZ whose Queen Anne second reads well in the context of this race.  

Final declarations are through for Saturday and just six will line up in the Group 1 King George over 2400m. As expected, ADDEYBB was scratched along with JAPAN and MOGUL.

More hot sunshine has left the ground at Ascot Good to Firm but showers and storms are forecast for Saturday.

The six runners are rated between 117 and 122 so this is a true Group 1 race with no pacemakers or lower-grade animals to make up the numbers.

WONDERFUL TONIGHT won the Hardwicke beating BROOME but it's well documented she's much better on wet turf and we can't rely on the rain coming in time. BROOME went from Ascot to beating EBAIYRA in the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud. perhaps that wasn't the strongest Group 1 ever but it was still a fine performance - the problem is he too seems to need a slower surface to produce his best form.

MISHRIFF won the Saudi Cup and the Sheema Classic and in the latter he beat CHRONO GENESIS, who is arguably the best in Japan currently. The problem is MISHRIFF disappointed me in the Eclipse and while the step up in trip might help, all his best form is at 2000m so unless it's a real tactical crawl, I'm not convinced.

LONE EAGLE carried my money in the Irish Derby but was run down by HURRICANE LANE who, as we know, followed up in the Grand Prix de Paris last week. The problem is he's held on two bits of form by ABAYAR, directly on Sandown Classic Trial running and indirectly through HURRICANE LANE. He gets the weight from the older horses but on the balance of his form may just come up short.

ADAYAR won the Epsom Derby under an inspired ride from Adam Kirby and you can of course argue the form has been paid compliments aplenty by both HURRICANE LANE and indeed American Grade 1 winner BOLSHOI BALLET. The big question this race is going to answer is whether ADAYAR was a fortunate Derby winner or whether he is the real deal.

He gets 8 lbs from LOVE and if you look back through the history of the race, the really good 3-y-os have had the edge over the older horses. LOVE is of course no mug - she was the clear top middle distance filly of last season and we'll never know if she would have on the Arc. She won the Prince of Wales the hard way from the front and all the evidence is 2400m on fast ground is her optimum.

This is one of those races you can argue so many ways but it hinges on whether you think ADAYAR is a decent Derby winner. You could argue SERPENTINE was a much more convincing winner in 2020 but he hasn't set the world alight since and Adam Kirby got the dream run at the right time and it might just be the way the race was run made ADAYAR look better than he is - however, he beat HURRICANE LANE fair and square and that horse has been very good twice since but against his own age group.

As I say, normally you'd fancy the classic 3-y-os getting the weight but LOVE is exceptional and on that basis, assuming the ground stays quick, she gets my vote. If it goes soft or heavy, WONDERFUL TONIGHT comes right into the equation along with BROOME but as we are, LOVE is my choice but, unusually for me, I'm not having a bet - this is one to savour.

Just five go in the Group 2 York Stakes over 2000m. Good though ARMORY is, I think he has a lot on giving 12 lbs to MOHAAFETH, who looked very good in the Hampton Court last time. 

12 have been entered for next Wednesday's Group 1 Sussex at Goodwood over 1600m. Six 3-y-os take on six older horses but the former look to have the edge. POETIC FLARE, the English 2000 Guineas and St James's Palace winner, is 4/5 to follow up and he's hard to oppose. ALCOHOL FREE splashed home in the Coronation but was beaten in the Falmouth (admittedly not by much). 

SNOW LANTERN won that and is entered but I suspect she won't run and neither will ORDER OF AUSTRALIA.

I remember TILSIT winning a Newcastle maiden by twenty lengths as a juvenile - this year he was just denied by SKALLETI in the Ispahan and won the Group 2 at Ascot a fortnight ago beating CENTURY DREAM. I can't see him giving the weight to the classic winners but he and LOPE Y FERNANDEZ are solid performers.

Quite an interesting set of cards this afternoon in the UK. At Ascot, EHRAZ, the juvenile that went straight into everyone's notebook on debut at Newmarket, absolutely bolted up over 1200m winning by four and a half lengths at the not desperately rewarding odds of 4/9. He looks an interesting prospect and I wonder if they'll consider a tilt at the Gimcrack.

The Listed Valiant over 1600m saw another easy winner in DREAMLOPER, confirming the good form of trainer Ed Walker. She put up a decent time performance on the quick ground - the  disappointment was last year's Fillies Mile runner-up INDIGO GIRL, who was well held in fourth.

Another star filly from 2020 making her re-appearance this evening is ALPINE STAR, who won the Coronation Stakes, was runner up in the Diane and chased home PALACE PIER in the Marois before ending up getting chinned by subsequent Breeders Cup winner TARNAWA in the Opera. She was 4/5 to win a 2000m Listed at York but just got pipped by 22/1 ARISTIA.

No rain yet at Ascot ahead of tomorrow's big race. 

Moving ahead to Thursday and we have the five day entries for the third day at Goodwood.

10 have been entered for the Nassau over 2000m for the fillies and mares. AUDARYA, who ran LOVE so close in the Prince of Wales, is 9/4 favourite with Falmouth winner SNOW :LANTERN at 7/2. You could certainly argue LADY BOWTHORPE didn't get the run of the race at Newmarket and she's interesting at 6s. However, Aidan O'Brien has entered his Irish 1000 Guineas runner up and Diane winner JOAN OF ARC and she brings solid classic form.

15 have been declared for the Group 2 Richmond for the juvenile colts over 1200m. The July Stakes form from Newmarket gets a run-out but the presence of Super Sprint winner GUBBASS and Norfolk winner PERFECT POWER makes this, as ever, an intriguing race.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, Swoopa said:

Agree Ohoka, the firmer good was probably  more in his favour than Mishriff.But has joined some elite company! Will  they now go for The Arc or leave that for The Hurricane?

The winner did a little wrong - he was reefing and pulling all the way down to Swinley Bottom but in the end he was too good with the weight concession.

You could argue he beat LONE EAGLE a lot further than HURRICANE LANE did so I imagine he'll be the Arc fancy but they could possibly run them both - or send HURRICANE LANE to the Cox Plate perhaps??

My first opportunity to review a splendid weekend's racing up here.

The feature on Saturday at Ascot was the Group 1 King George & Queen Elizabeth Qipco Stakes (to give it its full title) over 2400m. The expected thunderstorms failed to materialise and with the ground Good to Firm, Firm in places WONDERFUL TONIGHT was a predictable late defector.

@Ohokamanhas provided a link to the race. I thought David Egan rode a superb race on MISHRIFF - he moved up in the straight thwarting Ryan Moore's plan to move out and attack ADAYAR but I suspect, apart from the places, it made no difference.

There have been some average and poor Derby winners who have come to the King George and failed despite the weight concession but clearly ADAYAR is well up to the standard of Derby winners - he's the first in 20 years to do the double (not that many have tried in truth recently). It also looks increasingly we have a decent batch of 3-y-o middle distance colts for the first time in a while. HURRICANE LANE beat LONE EAGLE a nose in the Irish Derby - ADAYAR beat him nine lengths on Saturday. ADAYAR beat HURRICANE LANE seven and three quarter lengths at Epsom so the superiority was there and the form has been reproduced almost to the ounce.

Despite doing a lot wrong early, ADAYAR is clearly a very good horse and ALENQUER's defeat of him at Sandown looks better and better. I think we can put the Lingfield defeat down to the ground and clearly, were he to be risked on soft ground in Paris in October, you'd have to be concerned. The problem now is 2400m Group 1 opportunities on fast ground are very few and far between from here on. There's also the small matter of SNOWFALL, the dominant middle distance filly. ADAYAR would have to give her weight in Paris and you'd be a brave man to choose him over her if the ground turned soft.

MISHRIFF did very little wrong in defeat and for all John Gosden was saying before the off he was a 2000m horse, they ran a very strong time for the 2400m (2.5 seconds below Standard at 2 :26.54 but the ground was very lively) and you couldn't say the horse didn't stay. It's a conundrum now for Mr Gosden where he goes - York or perhaps Paris or even both?

LOVE was a little disappointing - was it too soon after a hard race in the Prince of Wales? I can accept her not being able to give 8 lbs to an above-average Derby winner - time may tell that was impossible - but she was a length and three quarters behind MISHRIFF and over a trip and on ground you'd think would be her optimum she flattened out in the final 200m. It will either be back in trip or back to her own gender I suspect so the Juddmonte or the Yorkshire Oaks.

BROOME and LONE EAGLE were beaten a further six lengths - that's not to say they ran badly but this is as good as it gets and while they are not at the top of the ladder, they are only a couple of rungs down and each will continue to play their part in serious races this season.

Up at York, the winning streak of MOHAAFETH came to a juddering halt as he was beaten into third in the Group 2 York Stakes behind BANGKOK and JUAN ELCANO. To be honest, I thought at the top of the straight he was far enough off the pace and in making the ground to get to a prominent position in the final 150m, he used up all his petrol and was on fumes close home. I'm not sure Jim Crowley will consider that one of his finest rides. Given he was beaten a head and a neck, sitting so far back (albeit to get the horse relaxed) was a notch overdone.

We had a right deluge here in London yesterday - I've lived in my part of the capital for 15 years and I've never seen our garden flooded and having to keep the water from getting in the house.

30mm of rain fell at Goodwood and the ground was changed to Soft, Good to Soft in places. More showers are forecast after a dry day today and it can get quite testing on the downland turf so we'll see.

Not surprisingly, all the cash has come for TRUESHAN against STRADIVARIUS in the Goodwood Cup tomorrow. The latter has eased from 4/5 to 7/4 with the former 2/1 from 10/3. All I'll say is STRADIVARIUS can handle wet ground but not sticky ground and it may be with the dry and humid today it'll be more the latter than the former.

POETIC FLARE is 4/5 to win Wednesday's Sussex for which ten have been declared. The 3-y-o fillies ALCOHOL FREE and SNOW LANTERN are priced behind ORDER OF AUSTRALIA, who has to give them 11 lbs which, as we've seen, is no easy task. It looks a race dominated by the 3-y-o - the two fillies are both Group 1 winners in their own right and backing SNOW LANTERN each way at 7s looks a bet to nothing - POETIC FLARE is a Guineas winner and looked so good at Ascot. My worry would be something doing him for speed or Kevin Manning getting into traffic trouble.

The irony of the different weight for age scales over different distances means BATTAASH only has to give DRAGON SYMBOL 4 lbs in Friday's Group 2 King George Stakes over 1000m. BATTAASH, like STRADIVARIUS in the Goodwood Cup, is bidding to win this for the fifth time and for all he was slightly disappointing in the King's Stand, this easy Goodwood 1000m is ideal and he could well burn these off.

Saturday's Group 2 feature is the Lillie Langtry for the fillies and mares over 2800m and no one will have been happier to see the rain than David Menusier, trainer of WONDERFUL TONIGHT. If we get more showers and the ground stays soft, she'll take a lot of beating. Lancashire Oaks winner ALPINISTA looked good last time but WONDERFUL TONIGHT is a Group 1 performer at Group 2 level.

Just a quick snippet - the King's Stand winner OXTED will miss the rest of the season due to a bone fragment in a knee which will require surgery.

He had twice finished behind STARMAN - in the Duke of York and then the July Cup a couple of weeks ago when he was a close third beaten less than a couple of lengths.

Further rain last night turned the Goodwood ground Heavy, Soft in places for day one of the Festival meeting.

The ground was upgraded to Soft during the afternoon as the predicted showers failed to materialise.

Just six stand in Thursday's Group 1 Nassau - AUDARYA is 6/4 favourite after her fine run behind LOVE at Ascot and while LOVE was perhaps a shade disappointing in the King George, that was a special race. AUDARYA won the Romanet on soft ground last year so she should be fine.

I think she'll be too good for LADY BOWTHORPE who tries 2000m for the first time. She won over the straight 1800m at Newmarket so you'd think she'd see it out but the slow ground does ask a question. The 3-y-o classic form is well represented by Irish 1000 Guineas winner EMPRESS JOSEPHINE and Diane winner JOAN OF ARC and as we saw on Saturday the weight for age concession can make a huge difference.  The 3-y-os get 9 lbs from the older horses and I just wonder if JOAN OF ARC may be the one to take full advantage.

Seven go in the Group 2 Richmond for the juvenile colts. ASYMMETRIC is favoured over GUBBASS and PERFECT POWER but the latter two have looked best on quick dream. ASYMMETRIC has won on good/soft but her breeding suggests a sound surface suits. I quite like EBRO POWER, who I supported over the cliff at Ascot and Newmarket but I can't quite get past his convincing win at Sandown on slow ground.

Plenty of excitement on the first two days at Goodwood but the weather remains far from settled - tonight's Sandown card was cut short by a heavy storm.

The ground has improved to Soft, Good to Soft in places.

Friday's Group 2 King George over 1000m has 13 runners - with STRADIVARIUS missing out on Tuesday, BATTAASH has his turn at making history by winning this race for the fifth time. 

His principal opponent, DRAGON SYMBOL, wasn't even born when BATTAASH won this for the first time.

However, nothing lasts for ever - BATTAASH was fourth in a King's Stand where the speed merchants cut their own throats - if the ground gets back nearer to Good, he has a huge chance and may have too much speed for DRAGON SYMBOL who was runner up in both the Commonwealth Cup and the July Cup on his last two runs - in the former of course he was first past the post before being demoted in the stewards' room. The problem is these races were over a stiff 1200m and I just wonder if he'll be found out over a sharp 1000m.

ART POWER ran well in both the Diamond Jubilee and the July Cup but again could be a 1200m type.

GLASS SLIPPERS is interesting and especially if we get more rain - she's not been seen since winning the Breeders Cup Turf Sprint having run second in the Abbaye on Heavy ground.

LIBERTY BEACH was third in Paris he was six lengths behind BATTAASH in the 2020 renewal of this race but that was on quick ground. 

Both GLASS SLIPPERS and LIBERTY BEACH come into this if we get more rain but if the ground dries, BATTAASH looks the safest option.

The first day of the Glorious Goodwood Festival took place against a backdrop of unseasonal conditions. 60mm (two and a half inches) of rain had fallen since Sunday and the effect on watered ground was inevitable though the old downland turf seemed to have taken it well.

A morning report of Heavy, Soft in places was changed to Soft, Heavy in places after the first race as conditions, though testing, improved under dry and bright skies.

The deluge led to an equal flood of non runners with a number of notable late scratchings including LUSAIL from the Vintage and both STRADIVARIUS and SPANISH MISSION from the Goodwood Cup.

The latter was the Group 1 feature on the opening day and TRUESHAN, who had romped home in the Champions Day Stayers under heavy conditions last autumn, was backed into 6/5.

Goodwood Cup:  

In the end, TRUESHAN won this easily despite running a little free at halfway. AWAY HE GOES was 33/1 but outran those odds and is clearly a decent stayer on slow turf. I'm not sure SIR RON PRIESTLEY enjoyed the ground at all and once again the Ballydoyle contingent disappointed with SANTIAGO and SERPENTINE moderate and AMHRAN NA BHFIANN tailed off.

I'm not sure this told us a great deal in all honesty - TRUESHAN is very effective on this ground and had a lot on giving weight away in the Northumberland Plate. STRADIVARIUS will go to the Lonsdale at York but with SUBJECTIVIST off the scene, the staying division, in truth, looks very weak currently.

The supporting Group 2 races were both very interesting - the Vintage for the juvenile colts saw ANGEL BLEU back up from a Listed win at Ascot last Saturday. He had spring form on soft ground and did this well. BERKSHIRE SHADOW was conceding the 3lb Group 2 penalty for his Coventry win and was arguably the first off the bridle but he ran home very well to take second and you'd think connections will be looking forward to 1600m on quicker ground.

The Lennox over 1400m was ravaged by six non-runners but the Godolphin pair of SPACE BLUES and CREATIVE FORCE brought serious credentials to the table but both were denied by KINROSS who has emerged from the wilderness in his last two efforts. He was sixth in the 2000 Guineas last year and eighth in the Jean Prat but a Meydan campaign was unsuccessful. The making of him has been, a sis so often the case with colts, the removal of the wedding tackle. Since being gelded, he won a Group 3 at Haydock and now has a Group 2. He clearly goes on slow turf and you'd have to put him right in the frame for a race like the Hungerford if ground conditions suit.

CREATIVE FORCE was getting 7 lbs from the winner and did nothing wrong in defeat going down by a neck. He's a smart 3-y-o at this trip and I'd love to see him in the Foret. SPACE BLUES was running his first race in four months and finished fourth, beaten less than a length. He's certainly no back number. SAFE VOYAGE anticipated the start and lost his race before it began.

The times were 6-8 seconds above Standard across the card which certainly suggested slow ground and when they come to the stands rail, as they did in the Goodwood Cup, that's a sure sign of soft ground. 

To be honest, the Goodwood Festival ends on a quiet note on Saturday and it's a very quiet weekend up here.

The Group 2 Lillie Langtry over 2800m for the fillies and mares has drawn a field of nine and with the ground in her favour Hardwicke winner WONDERFUL TONIGHT is 4/5.

She won the Royallieu and the Champions Day Fillies and Mares last autumn. She was fifth to TARNAWA in the Vermeille on good ground and the latter went on to win the Opera and the Breeders Cup Turf so this is the highest level of form.

DIVINELY was second in the English Oaks and third in the Irish Oaks and if you think SNOWFALL could be a bit special,  14/1 is worth crawling over broken glass for an each way bet. DIVINELY gets 15 lbs from WONDERFUL TONIGHT and I just don't understand the price difference. 

The second day of Goodwood saw the weather improve with a strong drying wind but showers never far away.

The ground was upgraded from Soft to Soft, Good to Soft in places.

The big Group 1 feature of the day and arguably the feature race of the whole meeting was the Sussex Stakes over 1600m. This was the first big clash of the generations at the classic mile distance. With Queen Anne winner PALACE PIER side lined, the older horses looked weaker than usual this year. The pick was probably Ispahan runner up TILSIT but he had a lot to do to give weight to three Group 1 winning 3-y-os who dominated the betting.

POETIC FLARE came here after a busy season - having won the English 2000 Guineas, he was only sixth in the Poulains but ran a fine second in the Irish 2000 Guineas before winning the St James's Palace by four lengths last time. The question seemed to be his effectiveness on slow turf.

He also faced two top fillies - SNOW LANTERN, the daughter of classic winners Frankel and Sky Lantern, came here after a win in the Falmouth at Newmarket where she had reversed Coronation Stakes form with ALCOHOL FREE who had run fifth in the English 1000 Guineas.

Sussex Stakes: 

Possibly the race of the season so far and for all POETIC FLARE's bravery, he was always second fiddle to the winner who was given a peach by Oisin Murphy.  I suppose you could argue he got the run through and Jamie Spencer on SNOW LANTERN didn't but this was conclusive enough on this occasion. 

One or two people had argued SNOW LANTERN would have been better suited going for the Nassau over 2000m and while you can't blame the horse's connections for wanting a tilt at the bigger prize, you just have to think she was done for speed at a crucial point.

There were some (and you can count me amongst them) who thought ALCOHOL FREE wouldn't see out the stiff Ascot Round Mile but she did despite the conditions and she's a class act at this trip especially on an easy track and you could see her in a race like the Moulin or the Breeders Cup Mile.

POETIC FLARE did little wrong for all he was clearly second best on the day. Was the ground a factor? Perhaps and you'd think back on a quick surface in a race like the Marois he'd be in his element. It may just be he's come up against a really special filly and the fact the two finished clear of the others suggests to this observer both are very good.

The big disappointment was TILSIT who faded to finish last while the ground clearly didn't suit ORDER OF AUSTRALIA.

On the undercard, a convincing win in the Group 3 Molecomb for ARMOR, a son of No Nay Never out of a High Chaparral mare who was moderate in France. He blitzed these and could be an early clue for next year's Commonwealth Cup. 

The big Deauville meeting kicks off next week.

It's not racing every day by any stretch but the centre of French racing moves to the Normandy coast in August and there are four or five Group 1 races starting on Tuesday with the Rothschild for the fillies and mares over the straight 1600m.

The ground is currently Good to Soft.

The Rothschild is essentially France's version of the Falmouth - a clash between the generations. To be fair, with the top British classic fillies running in the Sussex last week, the 3-y-o challenge relies on MOTHER EARTH, who is closely matched with ALCOHOL FREE on their run in the Coronation at Ascot and with SNOW LANTERN on their run in the Falmouth.

NOVEMBA, the German 1000 Guineas winner, was fourth when MOTHER EARTH was third at Ascot and has claims as does PRIMO BACIO who was fifth in the Falmouth just behind LADY BOWTHORPE, the Nassau winner from last Thursday.

COEURSAMBA won the Pouliches but has to bounce back from a moderate effort in the Diane.

The older fillies all look below Group 1 class - mostly Listed winners.

I think MOTHER EARTH may be too good for PRIMO BACIO and COEURSAMBA and further illustrate the strength of this season's group of classic fillies.

The third day at Goodwood took place on a fine afternoon with the wind much lighter than on the Wednesday.

The ground continued to improve and was called Good to Soft, Good in places,

The third and final Group 1 feature at the meeting was the Nassau over 2000m for the fillies and mares. You could call it Goodwood's female version of the Eclipse and given the strong performances by the classic 3-y-o in the King George and the Sussex, there was plenty of support for Diane winner JOAN OF ARC but she faced a couple of strong older fillies in LADY BOWTHORPE, who was making her first attempt at 2000m after a strong late finish in the Falmouth and AUDARYA, a multiple Group 1 last year and a fine runner up to LOVE in the Prince of Wales at Ascot on her seasonal bow.

Nassau Stakes: 

A scintillating performance by LADY BOWTHORPE paying a huge compliment to Sussex winner ALCOHOL FREE and connections of SNOW LANTERN, who had considered the Nassau before opting for the Sussex, must have been regretting their choice on this evidence.

Let's not forget LADY BOWTHORPE got to within a length and a half of PALACE PIER in the Lockinge and the move from a stiff straight 1600m to an easier 2000m perhaps wasn't such a journey as might have been imagined. The winner is in the Matron back over 1600m but I wonder if connections will be thinking of the Opera or perhaps going to America for the Filly & Mare Turf. It was an amazing emotional story for the trainer, William Jarvis, for whom it was a first Group 1 winner since Grand Lodge in 1994. That was before jockey Kieren Shoemark was born and it was redemption for a jockey who has endured his share of problems and for whom this was a first Group 1.

Kudos to Owner Emma Banks who stuck with Shoemark when Oisin Murphy was available - sometimes, loyalty is rewarded.

Runner up ZEYAADAH was second in the Cheshire Oaks and was fancied for Epsom but she flopped badly and her road back has come via a Group 3 on the all-weather at Newcastle.

JOAN OF ARC battled on well enough but her limitations were exposed and it may be the Diane was a soft Group 1. AUDARYA was very disappointing - it's interesting to note both her and LOVE haven't come on for their Ascot runs and I suspect that was a really tough race which bottomed both fillies.

The Group 2 Richmond for the juvenile colts saw a bunch finish with the first five split by barely a length. ASYMMETRIC had to show plenty of courage to get through a narrow gap and win The second, KHUNAN, reversed Ascot form with the fifth, PERFECT POWER, who perhaps didn't get the run of what was a messy race. It hasn't really advanced our knowledge of the juvenile hierarchy at 1200m. At 1400m, Chesham and Tyros winner POINT LONSDALE leads the pack and it's little surprise to see him head the 2022 2000 Guineas market.

Just a mention of the Group 3 Gordon which went to Irish raider OTTOMAN EMPEROR who has Australian ownership:

https://www.oti.com.au/

He did it well seeing off the late challenge of SIR LUCAN and Epsom Derby fifth THIRD SPIRIT. Trainer Johnny Murtagh suggested the Leger as the obvious target (Gordon winners often go to Doncaster in mid September) and while ruling out an Australian campaign this year, I got the distinct impression OTTOMAN EMPEROR will be heading south next year - a long range Melbourne Cup plot (you heard it here first)?

Excellent timing from @Ohokamanas he's led me right into the fourth day look back from Goodwood.

The ground had continued to dry and was officially Good, Good to Soft in places  but the showery and blustery conditions returned with a vengeance through the afternoon and played their part in the proceedings.

No Group 1 race on the card and the feature was the Group 2 King George Stakes over 1000m.

BATTAASH was bidding to win the race for the fifth consecutive year and had produced some stellar performances in past renewals but faced a strong field, notably some young 3-y-o sprinters including DRAGON SYMBOL, demoted after being first pas the post in the Commonwealth Cup, and the French filly SUESA, who had been favourite at Ascot but for whom it had all gone wrong.

King George Qatar Stakes: 

This was a stunning performance by SUESA who atoned in spades for her Ascot disappointment when she saw far too much light and pulled away her chance. The strong wind blowing diagonally across the track did the frontrunners no favours and you'll note both DRAGON SYMBOL and GLASS SLIPPERS also came out of the pack to take the minor honours.

SUESA was installed as 11/4 favourite for the Nunthorpe at York after this while DRAGON SYMBOL is at 6s and the American GOLDEN PAL at 7/2. It certainly feels like a changing of the guard in the sprinting division as the 3-y-o take over. You'd just to have wary if the ground came up quick at York but she's got real speed to burn.

DRAGON SYMBOL did little wrong for all an easy 1200m might be ideal and perhaps we'll see him at Haydock.

The one I took from the race was GLASS SLIPPERS who was having her first run since the Breeders Cup last autumn. I thought she ran a fine rac eon re-appearance and wherever SUESA ends up, I suspect GLASS SLIPPERS will be waiting.

BATTAASH was retired after finishing a well held seventh. To be honest, he's not really come back from the injury he sustained earlier in the year but let's remember him in his pomp on this course and track as he was something special.

@Ohokamanhas already mentioned BAAEED and this unbeaten colt made it four from four with an impressive six and a half length win in the Group 3 over 1600m. He's already rated 119 and off this you could see him up into the mid-120s which is stratospheric for a horse who has never run in let alone won a Group 1 or a Group 2. On a strict line through EL DRAMA, he comes up close to ST MARK'S BASILICA which is the very top of the tree among the 3-y-o. It does seem we have a very strong 3-y-o crop this year and some might wonder why BAAEED wasn't allowed to run against ALCOHOL FREE and POETIC FLARE in the Sussex. On this evidence, he wouldn't have been out of place but the Haggas team are anxious to bring this talent along slowly and carefully and this may pay dividends in the long run. 

He looks like he would go 2000m and the Irish Champion would be where I'd send him but he's not mine and either the Group 2 Celebration Mile at the end of August or the Moulin in early September look more likely targets. Could he go 2000m as a 4-y-o? It's a tantalising prospect but so which will depend on which of this year's other top 3-y-o stay in training.

MOGUL was a late scratching for the 2400m Group 3 and this enabled improving Godolphin horse PASSION AND GLORY to make every yard. This was only his tenth race yet he's a 5-y-o, he didn't run at two and missed his 4-y-o campaign having been off the track from October 2019 to January 2021. A couple of moderate handicap runs in Dubai and he fetched up to Lingfield in a class 3 off 90 and won well. Now, he's winning a Group 3 off 112  and is possibly only now coming to his peak. He saw out the 2400m here but I'm to be convinced a stiff 2400m would suit - as a gelding, his opportunities at the highest level are restricted.

Quick word on the coming week up here.

The three day Brighton Summer Meeting is long on seaside and very short on quality.

On Saturday, we have the return of the Shergar Cup at Ascot - the team jockeys event. Sunday sees the Group 1 Phoenix Stakes at The Curragh - this is the first of the series of late summer/autumn juveniles which culminate at Irish Champions Weekend with the Moyglare and the National.

27 have been entered and the eye is drawn to Railway winner GO BEARS GO.

Also on Sunday we have the Maurice de Gheest over 1300m at Deauville.

The final day of the Goodwood Festival saw the return of the heavy showers which had plagued the early part of the meeting.

The ground was downgraded to Soft after the first and it looked pretty cut up through the afternoon.

The final day feature was the Group 2 Lillie Langtry over 2800m which saw Hardwicke winner WONDERFUL TONIGHT sent off at 4/5 to continue her build up to the Arc. 

Lillie Langtry Stakes: 

Let's be honest - she was entitled to win this given her Group 1 winning form from last year and was running off a mark of 117. TRIBAL CRAFT is a proven 2800m horse and was running off 104 so to talk about her as an Arc winner on this evidence is pretty flimsy.

To be fair, winning over 2800m in France isn't the same as winning over 2800m in England given the more generous nature of the pace in English races and I think WONDERFUL TONIGHT was running on fumes in the final 100m. The slower pace of a 2800m race compared to a 2400m race did her no favours as I thought she was plenty keen enough in the early stages.

Would she have won a soft ground King George? It's speculation but you could argue she's have gone closely and on a day when the English Oaks fourth SAVE A FOREST won a 2400m Listed at Newmarket, the English Oaks third and Irish Oaks runner up was well beaten here. Now, SNOWFALL beat them both by a mile at Epsom and easily beat DIVINELY again at The Curragh but I'm starting to have more doubts about the quality of the 3-y-o middle distance fillies than the colts.

The plan for WONDERFUL TONIGHT is either the Yorkshire Oaks or the Vermeille before the Arc and I doubt we'll see her over 2800m again in England. As long as there is some juice in the ground and a strong gallop, 2400m looks her optimum.

I'm not sure she should be 7/1 second favourite for the Arc - there's an assumption it'll be soft in Paris in October which isn't always the case. She has to give a little weight to the classic colts let alone SNOWFALL but if she gets her conditions, she goes with every chance.

The Deauville August meeting opened this afternoon on Soft ground.

The first Group 1 of the meeting was the Rothschild for the fillies and mares over 1600m. Given we had the likes of ALCOHOL FREE and SNOW LANTERN in the Sussex and LADY BOWTHORPE and JOAN OF ARC in the Nassau last week, you'd be forgiven for thinking the Rothschild might be a below par race.

To be fair, it attracted both the English 1000 Guineas winner MOTHER EARTH, the Pouliches winner COEURSAMBA and the German 1000 Guineas winner NOVEMBA as well as the useful PRIMO BACIO.

Prix Rothschild: 

After a moderate Goodwood, I was glad to get one right for a change but all the credit goes to Ryan Moore and the filly.

A desperate finish with the front four split by less than a length but MOTHER EARTH showed plenty of courage and Moore realised the ground just under the stands rail at Deauville is the place to be. 

SAGAMIYRA is a typical late developing Aga Khan type - she's a 4-y-o but this was just her fifth race so clearly she's improving fast. 

COEURSAMBA and PRIMO BACIO weren't beaten far and arguably the latter was a shade unlucky in what looked a bit of a rough race behind the pace. I really think PRIMO BACIO will get a Group 1 somewhere and she could do with a change of fortune. COEURSAMBA didn't have any excuses I could see - perhaps a turning 1600m might be better for her.

Moore grabbed another Group prize when English raider OSCULA downed the local favourite ZELLIE in the Group 3 for the juvenile fillies over 1400m. OSCULA had run third in the Albany and fourth in the Duchess of Cambridge behind SANDRINE but looking as though the step up in trip would really suit and so it proved. She's in the Lowther at York but I'm not convinced dropping back in trip will be to her advantage.

Just a couple of snippets this evening.

I wouldn't normally bother with a Group 3 at Leopardstown on a Thursday evening but tomorrow's Ballyroan Stakes sees the long-awaited return of TARNAWA, rated 122, and arguably one of the best around currently.

Last year, she won the Vermeille, the Opera and the Breeders Cup Turf. 

Trainer Dermot Weld has this evening cautioned those tempted to wade in at 1/6 that she is now a 5-y-o and isn't as forward as she was this time last year. 

All roads lead to the Arc for which she is 7/1 fourth favourite.

Two big news items up here this morning - the first is the anger in Ireland over the continued restriction in numbers allowed to attend race meetings. At Goodwood on Saturday, there was a near 25,000 sell out crowd but for this Sunday's Phoenix Stakes meeting, the crowd limit at The Curragh has bene capped at 500. The issue isn't so much the difference between the UK and Ireland but within Ireland 40,000 will be allowed at Croke Park for the hurling final on August 14th.

The other big news item is the impact of the changes announced by Racing Victoria on entries for the spring carnival. It seems neither Godolphin nor Coolmore are keen to play by the new rules and Charlie Fellowes, though still entering PRINCE OF ARAN, has expressed his disapproval of the changes.

I imagine the Melbourne Cup will still be the race that stops a nation - the rest of the racing world may not be so interested. 

5 hours ago, stodge said:

Just a couple of snippets this evening.

I wouldn't normally bother with a Group 3 at Leopardstown on a Thursday evening but tomorrow's Ballyroan Stakes sees the long-awaited return of TARNAWA, rated 122, and arguably one of the best around currently.

Last year, she won the Vermeille, the Opera and the Breeders Cup Turf. 

Trainer Dermot Weld has this evening cautioned those tempted to wade in at 1/6 that she is now a 5-y-o and isn't as forward as she was this time last year. 

All roads lead to the Arc for which she is 7/1 fourth favourite.

Two big news items up here this morning - the first is the anger in Ireland over the continued restriction in numbers allowed to attend race meetings. At Goodwood on Saturday, there was a near 25,000 sell out crowd but for this Sunday's Phoenix Stakes meeting, the crowd limit at The Curragh has bene capped at 500. The issue isn't so much the difference between the UK and Ireland but within Ireland 40,000 will be allowed at Croke Park for the hurling final on August 14th.

The other big news item is the impact of the changes announced by Racing Victoria on entries for the spring carnival. It seems neither Godolphin nor Coolmore are keen to play by the new rules and Charlie Fellowes, though still entering PRINCE OF ARAN, has expressed his disapproval of the changes.

I imagine the Melbourne Cup will still be the race that stops a nation - the rest of the racing world may not be so interested. 

And the folks down here won’t care a jot Stodge…..it will be just like old times…..