RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

19 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Loved the National Hunt when living in England Stodge. Hope your bets came in for you. 

That Sandown is a great course for both jumps and flat racing. I attended the December meeting you refer too. In 1994 I think it was.

I recall you catch the train to the back of the course, then some walk to the grandstand. Also attended Exeter October meeting the same year. A more rustic course.

I might have been at that meeting as well, my friend. I used to work in Kingston so it was easy to take the afternoon off and head down to Esher for the racing. I never went on the Saturday but the Friday was a decent meeting though the Grade 2 Novice Hurdle always seemed to turn up a funny result.

The train still drops you at Esher and if you're at the front of the train from London there's a gate takes you down to an entrance on the far side of the track opposite the stands (known as the Giggs Lane entrance to the locals). Then it's a walk across the course and the karting track to get to the paying bit from where you could cross the track to the Grandstand or Members Enclosures. 

As you say, one of the best viewing tracks anywhere but that's how it was designed - it's called the Esher Slopes because the stands are well above the track so you can look down and over the whole track - the sprint track up the middle of the course is notorious for its deceptive winning post and the bookies used to have people down there who would tic-tac the number of the winning horse over to the stands where the bookies would happily relieve the mug punters trying to bet on any photograph.

It's very pricey these days - the other problem is the summer evenings are almost all "Music" nights - it can be £50 admission and unless you're a fan of the performer it's a lot of money for what is normally an average 6-race card.

14 minutes ago, stodge said:

I might have been at that meeting as well, my friend. I used to work in Kingston so it was easy to take the afternoon off and head down to Esher for the racing. I never went on the Saturday but the Friday was a decent meeting though the Grade 2 Novice Hurdle always seemed to turn up a funny result.

The train still drops you at Esher and if you're at the front of the train from London there's a gate takes you down to an entrance on the far side of the track opposite the stands (known as the Giggs Lane entrance to the locals). Then it's a walk across the course and the karting track to get to the paying bit from where you could cross the track to the Grandstand or Members Enclosures. 

As you say, one of the best viewing tracks anywhere but that's how it was designed - it's called the Esher Slopes because the stands are well above the track so you can look down and over the whole track - the sprint track up the middle of the course is notorious for its deceptive winning post and the bookies used to have people down there who would tic-tac the number of the winning horse over to the stands where the bookies would happily relieve the mug punters trying to bet on any photograph.

It's very pricey these days - the other problem is the summer evenings are almost all "Music" nights - it can be £50 admission and unless you're a fan of the performer it's a lot of money for what is normally an average 6-race card.

That Friday fixture  was the  first meeting I ever attended as a kid in 1983  , never forget seeing the horses up close for first time flying over the fences  . Stood down back straight . Couple of horses I saw on that card were West Tip and Decent Orchid . Dessie didn't last out the trip in the Winter Novices Hurdle and was beaten by a horse trained by Josh Gifford called Catch Phrase .

My go to collect at Sandown  back in day was always a Jenny Pitman horse in the last race  bumper there , got a great double there once Esha Ness the Grand National winner that wasn't onto another of hers in the other division. Seemed like a fortune winning 30 odd quid as a kid .

Chance for me to review last Sunday's action in Hong Kong which effectively brings down the curtain on the turf season in the Northern Hemisphere.

Four quality races saw the top locals take on challengers from Australia, Japan, Britain, Ireland and France among others.

The opening event was the Vase over 2400m. The local champion EXULTANT set the pace but did plenty in front as far as I could see and it was set up beautifully for Ryan Moore who eased into the race on the home turn and readily picked off EXULTANT who just held off COLUMBUS COUNTY for the minor honours. MOGUL was getting 5 lbs weight for age from the locals but he did this really well. I've always thought he wanted fast ground and enjoyed the Sha Tin turf. It marked a fine end to a season which had started with frustration at Epsom but ended with a win in the Grand Prix de Paris, a fine effort in the Breeders Cup Turf and now victory in Hong Kong. You'd have to say on this evidence at 2400m the Europeans are dominant - they put the Americans away at Keeneland and have now seen off the best of Hong Kong on their own patch. The Japanese may argue the point but until we see a clash (Meydan perhaps) we won't know.

On then to the Sprint over 1200m and it was the Australians and Japanese who posed the threat to the locals with Everest winner CLASSIQUE LEGEND leading the raiders. However, the horse had no luck whatsoever missing the kick completely and always struggling to find any kind of racing room. Up front HOT KING PRAWN looked ominous but it was the Japanese raider DANON SMASH from the widest draw who prevailed to give Ryan Moore a quick double. In a bunch for the minors JOLLY BANNER and RATTAN finished second and third but this was a fine performance by the Japanese raider.

On then to the Mile where Breeders Cup Mile winner ORDER OF AUSTRALIA was bidding for a unique double. Normal Ballydoyle jockey Ryan Moore was on last year's winner ADMIRE MARS for Japan but this one stayed very much at home with GOLDEN SIXTY putting up a dominant display to come from the rear and win by two lengths going away. He's a real champion having mopped up the Classic series for the 4-y-o in 2019. Having trousered £1,378,000 here, I suspect connections won't be rushing to come to Ascot but this is a serious racehorse. SOUTHERN LEGEND and ADMIRE MARS filled the minor places.

Finally, we had the Cup over 2000m where MAGICAL was bidding to add another win to her formidable record but she faced a three-prong Japanese challenge led arguably by DANON PREMIUM, the useful French horse SKALLETI not to mention the locals led by FURORE. FURORE turned out to be simply not good enough coming home fifth. The Japanese finished 1-2-4 with MAGICAL running another fine race beaten barely a length in third. While it was a Japanese-trained horse who prevailed, it was due to the local knowledge of one Zac Purton who drove NORMCORE to the lead in the final 150m and held off the late challenges of WIN BRIGHT and MAGICAL.

A tremendous set of races - the Japanese won two, the Irish one and the locals one and it's fair to say we saw sparkling performances from the victors not least from GOLDEN SIXTY and MOGUL.

That's one of the delights of global racing and whether some of these will turn up in Riyadh at the end of January or in Meydan later the competition between the racing powers is likely to be fierce once again.

Moving into mid-winter up here and while it's not that cold yet we've had a lot of rain.

Saturday's Group 1 feature at Ascot is the Long Walk Hurdle which, as you'd expect, is a marathon over 4800m. The ground in Berkshire is Soft with more rain forecast. 10 have been entered and this is a big step in the long distance hurdle championship pattern. The Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury at the end of last month saw THYNE HILL defeat the former Cheltenham World Hurdle winner PAISLEY PARK, who won this race in 2018. A lot think the places will be reversed over the stiffer track but I'm less convinced.

MAIN FACT has won four on the bounce and moved through handicap into pattern company but this is a tougher race and his limitations may be exposed. I quite like the mare ROKSANA who won a Group 2 at Wetherby last time, She's not far off the principals on the numbers and at 8/1 she's an each way bet to nothing in my book.

Saturday's Long Walk Hurdle was run on Heavy ground at Ascot following overnight rain.

Favourite was THYNE HILL who had beaten former World Hurdle winner PAISLEY PARK at Newbury last month but this time the places were reversed in a wonderful finish. THYNE HILL was prominent all the way and turned into the straight with a narrow lead. I was getting excited about ROKSANA who was travelling well in behind while PAISLEY PARK, who had been chopped for space on the home turn, seemed to be struggling.

As they came to the last, THYNE HILL had seen off ROKSANA who had cried enough 300m out but Aidan Coleman got a fantastic run out of PAISLEY PARK and nailed THYNE HILL on the post. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq9QEnVRw

This was a superb race and in a season where clashes between the top horses in the various jumping divisions have been rare, this one delivered in spades. PAISLEY PARK is owned by Andrew Gemmill, who is blind but his excitement and passion for the sport and his love for the horse radiate.  Richard Johnson, the jockey on the runner-up, uttered a few choice expletives on crossing the line but I fail to see what he did wrong. My each way money was won on ROKSANA who ran well enough in third.

It's 1-1 and round 3 looks to be the Cleeve Hurdle at the end of January at Cheltenham which is the final British trial for the World Hurdle. THYNE HILL was an unlucky fourth in the Albert Bartlett, the novice equivalent of the World Hurdle, last year and I think round Cheltenham and especially on better ground, he'll beat PAISLEY PARK who relished every inch of the 4800m at Ascot and the heavy ground. On a quicker surface, he'll be tapped for speed.

It's now all eyes on the big Christmas Festivals in England and Ireland. In England, the King George on Saturday has attracted ten entries but the Irish raider, MONALEE, will probably miss the race with the Irish decision to ban travel between the UK and the Republic. Paul Nicholls runs four and has the top two in the ante post market. The winner in both 2018 and 2019,  CLAN DES OBEAUX is 7/4 favourite and he ran a perfectly good trial at Haydock. To be fair, this is CLAN DES OBEAUX's Gold Cup as he is much less effective going left-hand. Last year, he beat his stable mate CYRNAME by 21 lengths - the latter had beaten ALTIOR at Ascot and the race, I think, bottomed both horses as it was a real slog in the mud. CYRNAME won the Charlie Hall at Wetherby and if the ground is decent he has a real chance.

SANTINI was runner up in last year's Gold Cup and ran well enough at Aintree on his seasonal bow but I'm not convinced he has the speed of the Nicholls pair. LOSTINTRANSLATION was frankly poor at Haydock and with the Tizzard horses struggling for form, I'm happy to overlook him. At a huge price, I fancy SAINT CALVADOS each way at 25s. He was second in the Ryanair over 4000m at Cheltenham so he has an extra 800m but if the rain stays away and the ground is decent, he could well have enough stamina and speed to get involved.

The other Grade 1 on the card is the Christmas Hurdle over 3200m. Just seven go and four of them ran in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham a fortnight ago. SILVER STREAK was an unlucky second but for all that EPATANTE trotted up in the Fighting Fifth and 2/5 looks a fair price against these.

In Ireland, the four-day Leopardstown Christmas Festival kicks off with a 3200m Novice chase and I'll look at this and the other big races later in the week.

Back on the flat, news this evening that MAGICAL has been retired following her close third in Hong Kong and she will join the broodmare roster at Coolmore Stud.

MAGICAL won 12 races and ran second 8 times out of 28 appearances and amassed £4.8 million in win and place prize money.

She kept the very best company finishing second to ENABLE on three occasions. She won the Irish Champion Stakes twice and was twice second in the Breeders Cup Turf. It was perhaps her misfortune to be around at the same time as a couple of other superstar mares but at 2000m she was very good.

It will be fascinating to see where she goes for her first mating and her progeny will be of huge interest in the years to come.

Looks as though all tomorrow 's Boxing Day cards will go ahead despite Storm Bella.

I've already discussed the King George and the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton but failed to mention the Kauto Star Novices Chase, a Grade 1 which used to be called the Feltham. It's the mid-season championship steeplechase for the staying novices over 4800m and as Kempton is as far removed from Cheltenham as one track can be from another any horse which wins this and goes on to take the RSA at Cheltenham is worthy of championship status.

Seven go in tomorrow's renewal. THE BIG BREAKAWAY will appreciate the step back up in trip and with the Tizzard horses coming back into form, has claims. ENRILO won nicely at Exeter but that's a long way removed from Kempton and this speed test may not suit. IF THE CAP FITS was the best of these over hurdles but was turned over at Sandown last time and the likely winner to this observer is SHAN BLUE who has won both his chase starts at Wetherby ad has impressed with his jumping. That will be tested round Kempton but he looks the one.

A busy St Stephen's Day in Ireland with the opening days of the four day meetings at Leopardstown and Limerick. Grade 1 races for the novice chasers at both venues - at Leopardstown the Racing Post over 3400m has six runners. DARVER STAR was a progressive hurdler running second in the Irish Champion Hurdle before running third to EPATANTE at Cheltenham. As is often the case the best hurdlers don't always make the best chasers and after a facile debut chase win against ordinary opposition he was well held when third to FELIX DAISY in a Grade 2 at Punchestown last time and the latter comes here as the favourite. I prefer BLACKBOW from the Mullins stable who jumped really well on chase debut at Navan last month. 

At Limerick the meeting's Grade 1 takes place on heavy ground and is named after the former star Faugheen who won this last year. It's run over 3950m. Five go to post and four won last time out. ASTERION FORLONGE won a Grade 1 over hurdles and ran fourth in the Supreme Novices at Cheltenham. He won easily on debut despite jumping right and that won't be an issue at Limerick so has obvious claims. PENCILFULLOFLEAD was behind ASTERION FORLONGE over hurdles but has won both his chases including a Grade 2 at Punchestown over 4400m last time so he won't want for stamina in the ground. Stable companions JANIDIL and COLREEVY were fair hurdlers but both won nicely on chasing debut. I prefer the former and I have to mention ASSEMBLE who was beaten last time but that was by ENVOI ALLEN and there's nothing of that class in this field. It's a hard race to read - tentative pick (and only that) is JANIDIL.

Sunday's Irish Grade 1 races at Leopardstown include another run for Champion Chase favourite CHACUN POUR SOI in the 3400m Paddy's Rewards Chase. He faces NOTEBOOK and the useful mare PUT THE KETTLE ON who won nicely at Cheltenham last time. The 3200m Future Champion Novices Hurdle is the mid season championship for the Irish novice hurdlers. Stable companions BALLYADAM and CALL ME LYREEN suggest Gordon Elliott dominates this race.

In my Christmas Day euphoria (aided by a glass or two before and after lunch), I forgot to mention the Finale Junior Hurdle at Chepstow tomorrow which takes place subject to a 7.45am inspection at the Welsh track with heavy rain forecast overnight.

It's going to be a real slog for the 3-y-o novice hurdlers over 3200m. Favourite overnight is HOUX GRIS, a French import trained now by Paul Nicholls. For context, in recent years, a number of jumps trainers have bought horses from France where they start jumping a little sooner than in the UK. The French 3-y-o often jump better, know more and are used to handling heavy ground - the main Parisien jump track, Auteuil, is over-watered to produce heavy ground. 

I quite like ELHAM VALLEY who was rated in the mid-70s on the flat but won on hurdling debut at Sandown three weeks ago on heavy ground. 

It's doubtful any of this will have any great impact on the Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

Leopardstown's Monday card gets free-to-air coverage in the UK which will be most welcome. The Christmas Hurdle over 4800m is the Irish mid-season staying hurdle championship race and Gordon Elliott saddles the front two in the market. SIRE DU BERLAIS won the staying handicap hurdle at Cheltenham in March and on seasonal debut won over 4000m at Navan. He's about 7 lbs behind the likes of THYNE HILL and PAISLEY PARK on ratings but is improving. 

FURY ROAD finished in front of THYNE HILL when third in the Albert Bartlett at Cheltenham and won nicely at Punchestown on seasonal debut. I think he's the one in this race.

The Savills Chase over 4800m is the mid-season chase championship race. With Irish runners unable to go to Kempton this year, this looks a strong renewal. MINELLA INDO was second in the RSA (the novice chase championship race) at Cheltenham and has won twice in open company and impressed a number of watchers. This is a step up in quality and a big test.  

DELTA WORK won this last year and followed up in the Irish Gold Cup over the same course and distance in early February. He was fifth in the Gold Cup and also fifth, and a shade disappointing, at Down Royal on seasonal bow. He will have to improve on that but should still hold the likes of KEMBOY, who he beat three times last year and PRESENTING PERCY, who may be vulnerable to the sharper younger chasers round here. A PLUS TARD is a reliable stick and was third to MIN in the Ryanair but his form over this trip is much less convincing.

Boxing Day is always a big day in the UK as it is in NZ and it's the big mid-season jump races which dominate at Kempton, to the south-west of London. For those who don't know their UK tracks, Cheltenham is left-handed, undulating and galloping, a test of stamina especially in the staying races. Kempton is right-handed, sharp and level so any horse which can win the championship events at both courses is a true champion.  

The King George VI Chase is the second most important staying chase in the UK jumping pattern after the Gold Cup at Cheltenham in March. This year's renewal saw nine go to post on ground described as Good to Soft. The field included the second, third, sixth and eighth from the Gold Cup in March along with four other quality runners. Paul Nicholls trained four including the front two in the market, CLAN DES OBEAUX, who was bidding to win the race for a third time and CYRNAME who had beaten ALTIOR in their epic match at Ascot in November 2019 but had suffered from his exertions that day before returning in style at Wetherby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn37oZ4gO_o

Nicholls trained the winner but with his fourth string according to the betting. FRODON made every yard to score at 20/1 under an inspired ride by Bryony Frost, the daughter of Jimmy Frost, the trainer and in his day Grand National winning rider (Little Polveir). Bryony stacked up the field and utilised her horse's tactical speed (FRODON is very good at 4000-4400m) to get the stayers in trouble which she could on the reasonable ground.

WAITING PATIENTLY was fancied for the King George in 2018 but was brought down that day and it's been a long road back. He ran a huge race and must be heading for the Gold Cup. I thought Sam Twiston-Davies rode a poor race on CLAN DES OBEAUX. He got too far back and left the horse with far too much to do in the straight. He ran on for third and I'm sure you heard the expletives in Invercargill as he tipped out SAINT CALVADOS for third. I thought SAINT CALVADOS was too exuberant early and while he looked to have a chance turning for home he emptied approaching the last. 

SANTINI was fifth and the race wasn't run to suit - he will be much better at Cheltenham. CYRNAME flopped badly and it'll be debatable if he runs again after this.

A shock in the King George followed similar in the Christmas Hurdle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IRAkApClfk

This time, it was Adam Wedge on SILVER STREAK who produced the enterprising ride and easily held EPATANTE who did her cause no good when missing the third last. To be fair, her jockey, Aidan Coleman, said in a post-race interview he thought the mare wasn't travelling fully 1200m out so it is, as her trainer Nicky Henderson described "a bit of a head scratcher". Her defeat has thrown the Champion Hurdle wide open.

The Grade 1 Kauto Star novices chase saw a superb round of jumping by SHAN BLUE but he won't head for the RSA at Cheltenham and I can see why. He's a fast aggressive jumper and the 4200m of he Marsh Chase or a race at Aintree would suit so much better. The second, THE BIG BREAKAWAY, looks much better suited to the staying test at Cheltenham but he might also swerve the RSA for the 6400m National Hunt Chase.

In Ireland, ASTERION FORLONGE fell when leading five out in the Faugheen at Limerick. Willie Mullins still won the race but with COLREEVY who followed up his Punchestown success by just holding off PENCILFULLOFLEAD in a battling finish.

Willie Mullins made it a cross-the-card Grade 1 double with FRANCO DE PORT winning the Racing Post Novices Chase at Leopardstown. Stable mate BLACKBOW fell early on but the winner did this nicely seeing off DARVER STAR and the slightly disappointing FELIX DESJY.

With Chepstow lost to waterlogging (rescheduled for January 9th), Ireland took centre stage on Sunday with two Grade 1 races at Leopardstown where the ground had eased to soft after overnight rain.

The Paddy's Rewards Club Chase was the Grade 1 for the speedier chasers over 3200m and CHACUN POUR SOI kept on track for the Champion Chase at Cheltenham with an emphatic win. He had looked far from ready when winning at Cork on seasonal debut and this was still not the finished product but he jumped and travelled so much better on the better ground. NOTEBOOK chased throughout but was always second best with Arkle winner PUT THE KETTLE ON well held in third. CHACUN POUR SOI is now 2/1 favourite for the Champion Chase and it's going to take a good one to beat him.

The Future Champions Novice Hurdle over 3200m looked a match on paper between APPRECIATE IT for the all-conquering Mullins stable and BALLYADAM for Gordon Elliott. Mullins had bossed Boxing Day and continued in the same vein with APPRECIATE IT coming home by nine lengths. This was an impressive performance from a horse who knows his business - he had been expected to win the Champion Bumper at the Festival but was turned over by stable mate FERNY HOLLOW who has himself been ruled out of the rest of the season by injury.

APPRECIATE IT now heads the Supreme Novices Hurdle market and while I think second IRASCIBLE will come on a lot for this I think his future lies over fences next season. 

Tuesday sees more Grade 1 in England and Ireland.

Newbury has to survive a morning inspection with the threat of frost and snow The Challow Hurdle over 4000m has drawn six quality entries and was won last year by THYNE HILL so it's a big pointer to future stars. Horses often come to this race via a Grade 2 at Sandown at the beginning of December and that's the route for STAR GATE who is unbeaten in three runs. He's obviously very good and the forecast soft going should suit him more than BRAVEMANSGAME whose two hurdles wins have been on much faster ground.

THE GLANCING QUEEN was eighth in the Cheltenham Bumper and was some 20 lengths behind APPRECIATE IT that day. He won on hurdling debut and could be improving and will love the trip and ground. He's my idea of the winner but both DOES HE KNOW and WILDE ABOUT OSCAR come into the race in good form.

The final day at Leopardstown has two Grade 1 races - the Neville Hotels Chase is for the staying novices over 4800m. MONKFISH won the Albert Bartlett for the staying novice hurdlers at Cheltenham and looked to have made a smooth transition to chasing on his debut but this is a bigger test as you would expect. LATEST EXHIBITION was only beaten a neck that day and has won one of his two chasing starts. CONFLATED has claims but with the stable in red hot form  MONKFISH looks the one.

The Matheson Hurdle over 3200m is the Irish version of the Christmas Hurdle and with EPATANTE turned over at Kempton, the Champion Hurdle looks wide open. ABRACADABRAS and SAINT ROI were first and second in a pulsating Morgiana at Punchestown last time and back on this sharper track and on better ground you'd think SAINT ROI might be able to reverse the places. ASPIRE TOWER beat ABRACADABRAS at Down Royal but whether the Triumph Hurdle runner-up can follow up remains to be seen. SHARJAH was runner up to EPATANTE at Cheltenham but has had a long break since a couple of average runs in the summer.

Excellent action from Leopardstown on Monday which was shown on free-to-air tv in the UK.

Two Grade 1 races both of which had potential bearing on championship races in the spring. First was the Christmas Hurdle which, unlike its British counterpart at Kempton, is for the stayers over 4800m. FURY ROAD and SIRE DU BERLAIS dominated the market but both had to give best to FLOORING PORTER who has improved out of all recognition this year. Starting in July off 122 he won this Grade 1 off 150 which is a hefty 28 lbs (2 stone in old money) improvement.

To put it into context, Long Walk winner PAISLEY PARK and second, THYNE HILL, are both rated in the mid 160s so FLOORING PORTER still has some improvement to find to be a player in the World Hurdle at Cheltenham. THE STORYTELLER was last seen winning a Grade 1 chase at Down Royal but performed with credit here while SIRE DU BERLAIS ran his usual gutsy race but he just isn't up to the very top class. FURY ROAD got outpaced and it's fair to day Leopardstown isn't his track. On this evidence, he has a lot to find but back at Cheltenham I would expect a much better run though nothing we saw in Ireland would have worried the main English players in a division where the Irish are surprisingly weak currently.

The Savils Chase was arguably the race of the season so far both in Ireland and England and in sheer depth superior to the King George at Kempton. With the exceptions of dual Gold Cup winner AL BOUM PHOTO (due to run at Tramore on Friday) and MONALEE, all the top Irish chasers were in the field and favourite was the new kid on the block, MINELLA LIDO, who was runner up in the RSA at Cheltenham and had enhanced his reputation with two smooth wins this season. Unfortunately for his backers, he came to grief early as did DELTA WORK.

The all-conquering Mullins stable looked to have a stranglehold on the race as MELON led approaching two out but jockey Patrick Mullins couldn't see a stride, the horse jumped slowly and lost momentum and that was him done. KEMBOY went on and led over the last but closing all the time was A PLUS TARD from the Henry de Bromhead yard and in a slow motion finish young rider Darragh O'Keeffe galvanised A PLUS TARD home by half a length.

A PLUS TARD's previous efforts over the full 4800m hadn't inspired confidence for all he had run a fine race in the Ryanair and the form of that race continues to impress with MIN winning the John Durkan and SAINT CALVADOS not quite seeing out the King George but on a line through the Ryanair form you could argue FRODON comes out the best of these. We'll see come March. I suspect A PLUS TARD won't be in the Gold Cup field while KEMBOY didn't get home last year over the 5200m at Prestbury Park and I don't know why he should on this evidence.

It's fair to say Ireland's Gold Cup challenge beyond AL BOUM PHOTO looks weak after this but races like the Ryanair are up for grabs. Both DELTA WORK and MINELLA LIDO will, I expect, be in the Gold Cup field but both have questions to answer as far as their jumping is concerned.

Another good afternoon's sport on Tuesday (and on free-to-air television as well) in both England and Ireland.

The final day of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival saw two more Grade 1 events. The Neville Hotels Chase was for the stayers over 4800m and on paper looked between MONKFISH and LATEST EXHIBITION, who had finished first and second in the Albert Bartlett (the staying novice hurdle championship race) at Cheltenham in March. MONKFISH had looked very impressive on his chasing debut at Fairyhouse while LATEST EXHIBITION was well beaten by PENCILFULLOFLEAD at Punchestown (the latter finished second in the Faugheen at Limerick on Saturday).

MONKFISH did this well but I felt his jumping was at times sketchy - he's a big long-striding type who would, I think, do fine on quicker ground but LATEST EXHBITION matched him most of the way until the run-in. MONKFISH is a 6-y-o (as with all horses, it's his birthday on New Year's Day so we say up here he's "rising seven") and looks the part as a chaser and I can see why he's 2/1 favourite for the RSA at Cheltenham. I just wonder if LATEST EXHIBITION will run in the 4200m Marsh Chase instead. 

The Mathseon Hurdle over 3200m was the mid-season championship race and with EPATANTE failing at Kempton, it opened the door for the Irish challenge at Cheltenham. For the third year running, SHARJAH won and let's not forget he chased home EPATANTE at Cheltenham. It's arguable he runs best fresh and some of his Flat efforts recently have been uninspiring but this was a fine effort - he hurdles efficiently and effectively spending as little time in the air as possible. ASPIRE TOWER ran a fine race in defeat - let's remember she was second in the Triumph (the race where GOSCHEN blundered his jockey away at the last when clear) and won nicely at Down Royal so she may yet prove a big threat in March.

Both SAINT ROI and ABRACADABRAS were disappointing and both have some ground to make up on this effort.

At Newbury, on a cold and bleak afternoon, the 4000m Challow Hurdle for the staying novices was the Grade 1 feature. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCoPVQ5ujE

A small but quite select field but in the end BRAVEMANSGAME ran out a convincing winner. For his trainer to speak of him in the same breath as DENMAN is significant as the latter was a champion steeplechaser. That will ultimately be BRAVEMANGAME's er, game but that's next season. The target at Cheltenham is the Ballymore over 4200m though I suspect something will have too much tactical speed. STAR GATE was decisively beaten while those who watch the link will be pleased to know DOES HE KNOW and jockey David Bass are both fine.

With the traditional New Year's Day meeting at Cheltenham lost due to waterlogging, the main attraction tomorrow will be dual Gold Cup winner AL BOUM PHOTO's re-appearance at Tramore. The Mullins team were dominant at Leopardstown, winning eleven races and scooping most of the Grade 1 events. The race at Tramore is over 4400m and is the one AL BOUM PHOTO won last year before his win in the Gold Cup. He's 1/4 to win tomorrow.

Saturday's feature is the Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown run over 3200m for the novice hurdlers. It's set to be run on heavy and possibly quite sticky ground. Eight go to post and the 6/4 favourite is METIER who has won both his hurdle races impressively. He could be anything. GALICE MACALO ran well over course and distance in a Listed handicap last time while ADMIREL has also won two hurdle races albeit in lesser company than METIER. DO YOUR JOB was beaten at Haydock last time and has a little to find on the figures. 

2 hours ago, stodge said:

Another good afternoon's sport on Tuesday (and on free-to-air television as well) in both England and Ireland.

The final day of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival saw two more Grade 1 events. The Neville Hotels Chase was for the stayers over 4800m and on paper looked between MONKFISH and LATEST EXHIBITION, who had finished first and second in the Albert Bartlett (the staying novice hurdle championship race) at Cheltenham in March. MONKFISH had looked very impressive on his chasing debut at Fairyhouse while LATEST EXHIBITION was well beaten by PENCILFULLOFLEAD at Punchestown (the latter finished second in the Faugheen at Limerick on Saturday).

MONKFISH did this well but I felt his jumping was at times sketchy - he's a big long-striding type who would, I think, do fine on quicker ground but LATEST EXHBITION matched him most of the way until the run-in. MONKFISH is a 6-y-o (as with all horses, it's his birthday on New Year's Day so we say up here he's "rising seven") and looks the part as a chaser and I can see why he's 2/1 favourite for the RSA at Cheltenham. I just wonder if LATEST EXHIBITION will run in the 4200m Marsh Chase instead. 

The Mathseon Hurdle over 3200m was the mid-season championship race and with EPATANTE failing at Kempton, it opened the door for the Irish challenge at Cheltenham. For the third year running, SHARJAH won and let's not forget he chased home EPATANTE at Cheltenham. It's arguable he runs best fresh and some of his Flat efforts recently have been uninspiring but this was a fine effort - he hurdles efficiently and effectively spending as little time in the air as possible. ASPIRE TOWER ran a fine race in defeat - let's remember she was second in the Triumph (the race where GOSCHEN blundered his jockey away at the last when clear) and won nicely at Down Royal so she may yet prove a big threat in March.

Both SAINT ROI and ABRACADABRAS were disappointing and both have some ground to make up on this effort.

At Newbury, on a cold and bleak afternoon, the 4000m Challow Hurdle for the staying novices was the Grade 1 feature. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCoPVQ5ujE

A small but quite select field but in the end BRAVEMANSGAME ran out a convincing winner. For his trainer to speak of him in the same breath as DENMAN is significant as the latter was a champion steeplechaser. That will ultimately be BRAVEMANGAME's er, game but that's next season. The target at Cheltenham is the Ballymore over 4200m though I suspect something will have too much tactical speed. STAR GATE was decisively beaten while those who watch the link will be pleased to know DOES HE KNOW and jockey David Bass are both fine.

With the traditional New Year's Day meeting at Cheltenham lost due to waterlogging, the main attraction tomorrow will be dual Gold Cup winner AL BOUM PHOTO's re-appearance at Tramore. The Mullins team were dominant at Leopardstown, winning eleven races and scooping most of the Grade 1 events. The race at Tramore is over 4400m and is the one AL BOUM PHOTO won last year before his win in the Gold Cup. He's 1/4 to win tomorrow.

Saturday's feature is the Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown run over 3200m for the novice hurdlers. It's set to be run on heavy and possibly quite sticky ground. Eight go to post and the 6/4 favourite is METIER who has won both his hurdle races impressively. He could be anything. GALICE MACALO ran well over course and distance in a Listed handicap last time while ADMIREL has also won two hurdle races albeit in lesser company than METIER. DO YOUR JOB was beaten at Haydock last time and has a little to find on the figures. 

I see Elliot and Henderson having a short break to check team for health . Elliot been bit unlucky lost Easywork to heart attack on gallops and see he had one drop dead at start at Ayr the other day , says withdrawn on vets advice !!!! . 

Saturday's Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown went to METIER who put in a sound round of jumping and was simply far too good for these. Whether he's a Supreme Novices candidate is debatable - all his Flat form was on soft or heavy ground and it probably will be a lot quicker in March.

That said, he's a decent type and beat SHAKE'EM UP ARRY by twelve lengths.

The rescheduled Welsh National takes place at Chepstow on Saturday along with the Grade 1 Finale Junior Hurdle. The threat this week is frost - Chepstow are as usual bullish about racing but they were bullish last month and got caught out so we'll see.

The onset of new restrictions over here has left racing where it is last June - behind no closed doors with not even Owners now permitted on course. 

For now, racing, as an elite sport (apparently) goes on but with little prospect of any immediate relaxation, Cheltenham are starting to bleat about the impact of staging the four-day Festival without crowds. After the furore which followed the staging of the meeting last year which some said encouraged the spread of the virus round the country (not much actual evidence for that in truth), it might have been better to observe a dignified silence but the local MP has whinged about the £60 million hit the town (and especially its hospitality industry) will take from a behind-closed-doors event.

I suspect by mid-March we'll see Irish runners allowed to compete though that's not certain and if they are absent, it wll undoubtedly significantly devalue the meeting.

11 have been entered for the rescheduled Finale Junior Hurdle at Chepstow and strong favourite is NASSALAM who has hosed up twice at Fontwell winning by 59 lengths and 49 lengths respectively. He probably didn't beat much and this is much tougher but he's proven over trip and ground. ADAGIO won the Triumph Hurdle Trial at Cheltenham but hasn't run on heavy ground while HOUX GRIS is a French import for the Nicholls stable who won at Auteuil last time.

Looks as though most of the weekend's racing will go ahead despite the current very cold weather thanks to the use of fleeces and frost covers but morning inspections still called at Chepstow, Wincanton and Kempton.

I've already discussed the Grade 1at Chepstow for which all the principals have stood their ground and 8 go to post.

Meydan returned yesterday and while it was a low-key start on the journey to the 2021 World Cup in late March, it was a strong opening for Godolphin and Saeed Bin Suroor who had a 1-2-3 in the 1000 Guineas Trial over 1400m on the Dirt. The winner was SOFT WHISPER, a filly by Dubawi out of a Sea The Stars mare so 2000m should be well within her compass but she took really well to the Dirt. She had won twice as a juvenile in the UK including over 1600m on soft ground at Pontefract which is as far removed as Meydan as you could imagine.

The big change was the slashing of prize money - the race last year had a first prize of £46k but yesterday poor old Sheikh Mohammed has to make deal with £22k and the handicaps were worth much less but we'll see if the prize money improves as we move further into the Carnival.

Looking back to the weekend and all the meetings went ahead as the cold spell began to ease. At Chepstow, the ground dried from Heavy to Soft and that was a big factor, I think, in the success of ADAGIO in the Finale Junior Hurdle. NASSALAM was always prominent and after early pacesetter BANNISTER gave away looked as though he was going to grind it out but he had beaten small fields in the Fontwell mud and this was a quality field on better ground.

ADAGIO challenged two out and readily went on winning well - the front two were well clear of HOUX GRIS who saved my each way pennies in third but was very one paced and it may be he already needs 4000m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEBvUe4h1c

Sad news today with the passing of Prince Khalid Abdullah at the age of 83. Prince Khalid was one of the most significant owner-breeders of the past 40 years. He established Juddmonte who rivals Coolmore and Godolphin as top racing and breeding operations. Prince Khalid owned some wonderful horses such as KNOWN FACT and of course OASIS DREAM, one of the foundation stallions at Banstead Manor Stud.

He owned arguably the two greatest horses of the modern era - DANCING BRAVE, the 1986 Derby and Arc winner and of course FRANKEL, the best horse of the 21st Century so far. FRANKEL's exploits need no repeating here and it's worth remembering the vintage 2012 Royal Ascot meeting where the wonderful BLACK CAVIAR strutted her stuff but FRANKEL stole the show with an 11-length demolition of a class field in the Queen Anne which remains the best performance I've seen on a racecourse in the past thirty years.

More recently, he owned dual Arc winner ENABLE.

I believe one of his sons, Prince Saud, may take on the racing business. Juddmonte currently has 250 horses in training round the world, a further 500 at its various stud operations and employs 250 people.

Not much to report at the moment - the weather is taking a toll of the turf jumps fixtures but the all-weather motors on and Saturday's two turf cards look fine at present.

BOB OLINGER was a convincing winner of the Grade 1 Lawlor's Novice Hurdle at Naas yesterday - a race rescheduled from last Sunday. He came home six and a half lengths clear in the 4000m event but it'll be interesting to see if he can carry this forward to the Dublin Racing Festival at Leopardstown in three weeks time.

At Meydan this afternoon, REBEL'S ROMANCE justified short odds by winning the 2000 Guineas Trial over 1400m on the Dirt. He made hard work of beating recent Jebel Ali winner MOUHEEB but the two were nicely clear of what looked a pretty weak field on paper.

On a quiet Monday up here, a couple of hints of warmer weather approaching.

Frankie Dettori has gone to Dubai and he will be riding at the Meydan Carnival which starts on Thursday. The opening card has three Group 2 races and I'll preview those tomorrow or Wednesday. The most interesting entry is CAPEZZANO who was impressive in the final of the Al Maktoum Challenge but flopped in both the World Cup and the Saudi Cup running last in both races.

Ascot have this morning announced changes to their programme for the five-day Royal meeting in June. In 2020, as a result of Covid-19, the usual schedule was amended and new races added to provide extra opportunities and to work with the rescheduled Guineas and Derby/Oaks meetings.

This year, all five days will have seven races with additional handicaps added to the end of the card. I'm not wholly convinced about this - Ascot is the quality Flat race meeting of the year and while I've no objection to races like the Hunt Cup, the Britannia, the Wokingham and the King George V, all of which have long traditions and are usually won by top-class horses, some of these new races look like padding aimed at boosting betting turnover.

87272-large.jpeg

To be honest, they have taken the opportunity to strengthen the Wednesday card a little - it's disappointing the Jersey remains a Group 3. 1400m races remain a huge problem in the UK - there are no Group 1 races at this distance apart from the Dewhurst for the juveniles and I think this is a major omission. The first two races on the Saturday are the 1400m races and that now looks the weakest card but it's a wonderful meeting and my favourite of the year.

No official word on prize money levels yet - the races are being advertised at the 2020 levels but it won't be until April he final word on the race purses is released. In 2019, the Diamond Jubilee was worth £340,000 to the winner but in 2020 that fell to £148,000. When BLACK CAVIAR won the race in 2013, it was worth £283,550 to winning connections so the prize money is atrocious in the global context and without sponsorship it's an issue Ascot are going to have to face if they want to attract runners from other parts of the world. 

The fields are through for the opening Meydan Carnival meeting on Thursday.

The Singspiel Stakes is a Group 2 over 1800m on the turf. 11 have been declared with five running under the Godolphin banner. Frankie Dettori is on the 4-y-o MILITARY MARCH who won both as a juvenile and on his only outing as a 3-y-o was fourth to KAMEKO in the 2000 Guineas. That's as good as it gets and a reproduction of that will do. MILITARY MARCH is top rated at 113 and old LORD GLITTERS is off 112. The latter is a reliable old stick and was third in the Dubai Turf in 2019. Whether he's quite up to that level now is debatable.

ZAKOUSKI won the Group 2 Meydan Mile in the spring and ended his British campaign with two wins in the autumn mud at Newmarket. Again, he's a useful type but if MILITARY MARCH is on top form, he's running for minor money.

The other Group 2 is the first round of the Al Maktoum Challenge over 1600m on the Dirt. CAPEZZANO is clear top rated and he bolted up in a Group 3 over course and distance last year before not coping with the big boys in either the Saudi Cup or the World Cup. There's a mix of regulars such as MILITARY LAW and KIMBEAR and into the mix comes Uruguayan Group 1 winner AJUSTE FISCAL who could be anything though I suspect the 1600m will be short enough.

The undercard features a 1200m Group 3 named after Dubawi. GOOD EFFORT has won three at Lingfield on the Polytrack but over further and I just wonder if he has the speed and I'm more interested in UPPER CLASS who as a southern hemisphere 3-y-o gets the allowances - he's won three in Uruguay over 1100m  and this could be right up his street.

Back in the UK, Saturday's Grade 1 at Ascot is the Clarence House Chase over 3200m.The ground is currently Soft but there's a lot of rain forecast this week so it could easily be Heavy on Saturday. 10 have been entered but three stand out - POLITOLOGUE benefitted from ALTIOR's absence to win the Tingle Creek and has plenty of form at Ascot. WAITING PATIENTLY is a fascinating runner - in the 2019 Tingle Creek, POLITOLOGUE was fifth and WAITING PATIENTLY a close third to DEFI DI SEUIL (of whom more anon). After more than a year off, WAITING PATIENTLY returned at last month's King George and ran a blinder finishing a close second to FRODON. 

Will he bring a similar level of form on Saturday? If he can. he should win but first run after a long break and then out four weeks later - it's a concern but a fast run 3200m on a stiff track might play to his strengths.

Then we have DEFI DU SEUIL who, following his 2019 Tingle Creek win, won this and went off favourite for the Champion Chase only to run a disappointing fourth to POLITOLOGUE (see above). Back at Cheltenham, DEFI DU SEUIL ran a shocker pulling up in a Grade 2. He's on a real recovery mission.

FIRST FLOW has progressed through handicaps and won the Grade 2 Castleford at Wetherby over Christmas. With one or two questions about the top three, he looks a decent each way bet at 10s assuming we get eight or more runners.

Sobering news today with a report from the BHA showing prize money has dropped back to 2002 levels in the wake of Covid-19. This is a huge blow to any attempts by British racing to present itself as an integral part of the global racing scene. As I said in a previous, British prize money levels are atrocious compared to what's on offer elsewhere. There's plenty of money in the sport (so we are told) so where is it all going?

Good news for Saturday with Haydock seemingly set to race though the small fields on offer and bottomless ground makes me wonder if all the effort to get the meeting on is worth it. Eight remain in the Clarence House at Ascot and I've gone in at 12s on FIRST FLOW as I'll get paid out if he finishes in the first three.

Gulfstream Park stages the two Pegasus races on Saturday but with no European participation. The turf race doesn't inspire much and my tentative choice would be ANOTHERTWISOFFATE who fan a Grade 2 at Santa Anita three weeks ago. 

The Dirt race has a winners prize of £1.4 million and has drawn Breeders Cup Dirt Mile winner KNICKS GO for whom this looks far enough albeit it's only an extra 200m. SLEEPY EYES TODD is another for whom the trip might be a worry while CODE OF HONOR would be the obvious choice if he could reproduce his 3-y-o form which saw him run second in the Kentucky Derby and win the Jockey Club Gold Cup. He could be the one to cut down KNICKS GO in the final 100m but at a price I'll offer COASTAL DEFENCE but it's another race to watch rather than play.

A quick look back at the highlights from the opening Carnival meeting at Meydan yesterday.

The Group 2 Singspiel over 1800m on the grass saw the clock turned back with the veteran 8-y-o LORD GLITTERS seeing off the Godolphin trio of ZAKOUSKI, DREAM CASTLE and ART DU VAL. The winner was owned by Geoff and Sandra Turnbull but Geoff died last summer. It was LORD GLITTERS first win since landing the Queen Anne in 2019 but he always competes close to the highest level and seems ideally suited by a stiff 1600-1800m. What worked for him in the Singspiel was the murderous early gallop set by MYTHICAL MAGIC which may have been to help the other Godolphin runners but ended up helping LORD GLITTERS more.

The first round of the Al Maktoum Challenge over 1600m on the Dirt saw MILITARY LAW return to form with a narrow win. He's a consistent type who was second to BENBATL and then well held by MATTERHORN in the third and final round of this race on World Cup Trials night - you could have argued others might have been too sharp for him but this wasn't the case. THEGREATCOLLECTION ran a decent second with SALUTE THE SOLDIER running third for Bahrain in a bunch for the minors. AJUSTE FISCAL ran a promising race in fifth as did another ex-South American horse, ROMAN ROSSO, in fourth.

The 1200m Dirt Sprint went to the ex-American SWITZERLAND while Frankie Dettori bagged a brace of winners with LAND OF LEGENDS winning the 1400m turf and EQUILATERAL who reversed Newbury form with LAZULI in the 1000m turf handicap.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:23 PM, stodge said:

Eight remain in the Clarence House at Ascot and I've gone in at 12s on FIRST FLOW as I'll get paid out if he finishes in the first three.

Hope some of you followed my musings and were suitably rewarded with a 14/1 winner.

Review to follow.

Haven't got round to the review of last weekend yet but we have the usual Meydan Carnival card on Thursday to consider.

The Group 2 is the Cape Verdi for the older fillies and mares over 1600m on the grass. Top rated is SUMMER ROMANCE who was eighth in the 1000 Guineas before winning a Group 3 at Epsom. She flopped again finishing last in the Rothschild so this is a recovery mission. That said, you'll do well to see a weaker Group 2 anywhere. 

There are two unbeaten fillies from Godolphin of interest. First we have the 5-y-o LAST LOOK who won three on the spin in 2019 but hasn't run for 524 days and Frankie Dettori has the leg up on STUNNING BEAUTY who won twice last summer, once by five lengths and then by seven lengths. These were ordinary races but she did it in the style of a useful filly and could make the step up.

Seven stand in the UAE 1000 Guineas on the Dirt. Again, not a strong field - MNASEK won well on debut at a big price last December and could be anything. SOFT WHISPER won the Trial for which SUPER CHIANTI was a late scratching having beaten NAYEFAH on debut. KHATUN won on debut in Sweden so I think I'd stick with SOFT WHISPER.