RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Last Saturday saw the second day of the Breeders Cup meeting at Del Mar, on the southern Californian coast just north of San Diego. A glorious afternoon (lucky barstewards) and a huge card of races.

Indeed, so many I'm splitting the review in two and concentrating for now on the first five events starting with the two turf races. The Turf Sprint over 1000m looked a tough one for the Europeans with a turn and firm ground to add to the superior early speed of the Americans. Wesley Ward was once again well represented with the race favourite GOLDEN PAL who had two British raiders, GLASS SLIPPERS and EMARAATY ANA on his inside.

Breeders Cup Turf Sprint: 

GOLDEN PAL ran 55.22 seconds for the 1000m which is pretty impressive and he blew this field away with a lightning fast start. LIEUTENANT DAN threatened in the home straight but the latter is more a 1200m horse and the winner was away and gone.

EMARAATY ANA, who's a Group 1 winner in the UK, couldn't live with GOLDEN PAL and ended up fourth. The Abbaye winner A CASE OF YOU was fifth while GLASS SLIPPERS ran eighth in what would turn out to be her final race and this Group 1 winning mare is likely to be a popular broodmare. The winner was in a different class but I'm not sure connections have it right with a plan to come to Ascot next year. He couldn't last out the 1000m at York in the Nunthorpe which is as flat as it gets - Ascot is a lot stiffer.

Unfortunately, the Al Quoz Sprint is now over 1200m  - the Meydan 1000m might work but that's also a straight track. It's likely with another year on his back he'll strengthen physically and that must be what connections are expecting. The second is decent and the first two were well ahead.

The Europeans have enjoyed a lot of success in the Filly & Mare Turf down the years with the likes of Midway Lady and last year AUDARYA defied an outside draw to win over 1800m at Keeneland. Del Mar's configuration meant the trip went up to 2100m which might have suited both her and LOVE = the two had fought out an epic duel in the Prince of Wales over 2000m at Ascot in June. I think that race bottomed both fillies if I'm being honest. WAR LIKE GODDESS looked the best of the locals while the Japanese had a serious contender in LOVES ONLY YOU who was beaten less than a length behind MISHRIFF ad CHRONO GENESIS in the Sheema Classic.

Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf: 

An inaugural Japanese Breeders Cup winner brought the Californian house down with wild scenes in the unsaddling enclosure. To be honest, that Sheema Classic form against two of the best 2000m colts in the world read very well and we knew she went on the ground from her form in both Japan and Hong Kong. We've seen in recent times Japanese racing improve to be one of the world leaders - the likes of DEIRDRE and LYS GRACIEUX have won Group 1 races in Europe and Australia and an Arc win will happen sooner or later.

It looked unpromising on the home turn as WAR LIKE GODDESS swept by but the favourite had to do a lot of running from a wide position to get competitive and that did for her in the final 100m. MY SISTER NAT ran a huge race at a big price while LOVE again looked as though she had done enough and I just wonder if that will be the last we see of her on the racecourse.

Of the other Europeans, AUDARYA had a wretched run round the final turn being checked at least twice. She ran home for fifth but in truth would probably only have got fourth. ROUGIR and ACANELLA finished seventh and ninth with QUEEN SUPREME last. 

I hope we'll see LOVES ONLY YOU in Meydan and perhaps we'll get a rematch with MISHRIFF.

The three Dirt races each had an odds-on favourite but only one obliged. In the Filly & Mare Sprint, GAMINE was expected to jump and dominate but she was pestered for the lead by second favourite BELLA SOFIA and they cut each other's throats leaving CE CE, who needs every inch of the 1400m, to sweep home for the upset.

The performance of the early part of the evening came from LIFE IS GOOD in the Dirt Mile who made every yard to win by five and a half lengths. Back in the spring, after slamming future Kentucky Derby winner MEDINA SPIRIT eight lengths in the San Felipe, LIFE IS GOOD was favourite for the Derby but he had a setback and was off for the better part of six months. His return started with a narrow defeat to JACKIE'S WARRIOR over 1400m but his last two wins back at a mile have been impressive. 

As you might expect, connections are keen to make up for lost time but deciding to swerve the Classic this year might turn out to have been very wise. The plans now are the Pegasus, the Saudi Cup and the Dubai World Cup and to win all three would net somewhere around USD 40 million for connections. That's a tall order but he's not had the long season others will have had so it's a challenge and presumably after a summer break the Classic next year would be the swansong. He would likely have to take on MISHRIFF in Riyadh and that's going to be one to savour through the winter.

His conqueror at Saratoga, JACKIE'S WARRIOR, was expected to bolt up in the Sprint over 1200m but while he broke well, it wasn't the best judged race by Joel Rosario. They went 21.88 seconds for the first 400m which is incredibly fast and that turned out to be the undoing of JACKIE'S WARRIOR who weakened tamely in the final 200m. DR SCHIVEL, the second favourite, travelled into the race well but he too was undone by the early speed and was on fumes in the final 50m allowing ALOHA WEST to come from well back to snatch the race on the wire. Kudos to Jose Ortiz who rode a very cool race on this still relatively inexperienced type. 

With a dry autumn up here, officials at Cheltenham have had to water to keep the ground just on the slow side of Good for the three day November meeting which starts tomorrow.

The problem s trainers with real soft or heavy ground performers aren't prepared to risk them on watered good ground at this time of year.

The result is a 4000m novice chase which will be a match. Seven go in the Grade 2 Ballymore Novices Hurdle over 4200m. Favourite is GELINO BELLO who hosed up at Aintree and could be anything but the Irish, buoyed by their demolition job at the Festival in March, are bringing a strong party. OFF YOUR ROCCO and BLAZING KHAL represent Gordon Elliott (now back training) and Charles Byrnes. The former is possibly better suited to quicker ground.

Nine go in Saturday's Grade 2 for the 3-y-o hurdlers over 3200m. This is very early in the campaign for these babies but the conditions they face here may not be too far removed from what they will encounter in March next year. Paul Nicholls has the favourite in MAGISTRATO who ran second at Auteuil back in April (the French send their 3-y-o over obstacles much earlier than the British or Irish), was bought and came over to the Nicholls year and absolutely bolted up at Chepstow. That looked full of promise.

Only four go in the 3200m Novice chase. CAPTAIN TOM CAT jumped superbly to beat MICK PASTOR at Wincanton last Saturday but both have it to do against THIRD TIME LUCKI who jumped superbly on his chase debut over course and distance at the last meeting and boasts solid Grade 1 hurdling form.

Meanwhile, the winter flat season gets into gear with a decent card at Lingfield - you don't often see 120 rated horses on the Polytrack but PYLEDRIVER goes in the 2000m Churchill Stakes, the first step on the road to the Winter Derby next year. He's been absent since winning the Coronation Cup at Epsom but that was over 2400m and I just wonder if it will all happen a bit quick round here at this trip. FELIX was second in this year's Winter Derby and ran a blinder when third to LORD NORTH in the Dubai Turf. FOX TAL has mixed it with the likes of HUKUM and TEONA this season but again the trip might be a problem.   

On then to the climax of the Breeders Cup meeting with the last four races on the ground building in value and prestige.

The Mile on the turf is a race the Europeans have often won - the real champions like Miesque and Goldikova are on the roll of honour. In 2020, ORDER OF AUSTRALIA won for Coolmore and in 2018 Juddmonte triumphed with EXPERT EYE. This time, Godolphin had the favourite with 1400m European champion SPACE BLUES but it was a case of deja vu before the race. In the Juvenile Turf, it had been ALBAHR who had reared up in the stalls and had to be scratched and this time it was MASTER OF THE SEAS in stall one who got agitated, reared up and had to be withdrawn. Would history repeat itself with he surviving Godolphin runner winning the race?

Mile: 

In the end, it was all incredibly simple. Will Buick got SPACE BLUES into a handy position from the three stall and the horse utilised his tactical speed from 1400m to hold position and then quickened off the home turn for a smooth win.

This was the horse's final race as he will now retire to stud the winner of 11 of his 19 races including Group 1 events such as the Maurice de Gheest and the Foret. In addition, he's another huge advertisement for his sire,  Dubawi, who is also the sire of the Juvenile Turf winner MODERN GAMES.

It was a race dominated by those drawn to the inside who controlled the race from the gate. SMOOTH LIKE STAIT set the pace but while no match for the winner kept on well for second. IVAR and RAGING BULL both finished strongly from off the pace which was pedestrian by American standards and didn't help those coming from behind. PEARLS GALORE was sixth, REAL APPEAL eighth and MOTHER EARTH tenth.

The Distaff over 1800m on the Dirt was the second win on the night for the Japanese but while LOVES ONLY YOU had a clear chance in the Filly & Mare Turf, the success of MARCHE LORRAINE at 50s was, as you might expect, a real stunner. Once again, as we saw a lot on the Dirt, the pace setters went far too fast - another sub-45 second 800m and the pace collapsed spectacularly on the home turn. MALATHAAT had every chance but Oisin Murphy (the British champion jockey but well known to Japanese racing fans) brought MARCHE LORRAINE thrpugh and he just held fast finishing DUNBAR ROAD in a thrilling finish.

The Turf over 2400m is a race the Europeans often, indeed, usually win. Once again, the visitors looked to have a dominant field with support for Arc runner up and defending Breeders Cup Turf champion TARNAWA over the Godolphin pair of WALTON STREET and YIBIR and Vermeille winner TEONA.

Turf: 

The European dominance of this division clear for all to see with the veteran CHANNEL MAKER (third in this in 2020) the only local in the first seven home.

An incredible meeting of Godolphin, Charlie Appleby and William Buick ending with a third winner and this horse has been transformed since losing his wedding tackle in the summer. This closed off a few options (such as the English Leger) but opened so many more and he's apparently much more tractable. Let's go back to the end of April and the Sandown Classic Trial where YIBIR finished third - the race was won by ALENQUER, the second was ADAYAR and the fourth LONE EAGLE. It's a strong contender for race of the season and Godolphin have an embarrassment of riches among the 3-y-o if you include HURRICANE LANE who after all has only won the Irish Derby, Grand Prix de Paris and English Leger.

With no concerns over stud duties, YIBIR is a really exciting prospect as a 4-y-o but with both ADAYAR and HURRICANE LANE also apparently staying in training not to mention the possibilities among the classic generation it's going to take a deal of dexterity in race planning but I suspect Charlie Appleby and his team will be relishing that challenge.

After what's been a quiet meeting for Ballydoyle, BROOME ran a blinder - I wonder if these left-handed tracks are his ideal - I remember him winning the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud and he's always seemed to prefer going that way. Irad Ortiz rode a peach and another day would have sealed the deal but he was up against a younger horse still on the upgrade. JAPAN ran a huge race in fourth after a couple of lesser efforts and both he and BROOME will head to Tokyo for the Japan Cup on November 28th (along with Jean Romanet winner GRAND GLORY).

TEONA ran a hugely respectable race in third having not had the best of runs 500m out. She was barely two lengths behind the winner and has improved leaps and bounds in the second half of the season and of course won the Vermeille. I'd love her to stay in training.

BOLSHOI BALLET was sixth and SISFAHAN seventh which were reasonable efforts. WALTON STREET was slightly disappointing in ninth while TARNAWA never showed in eleventh and was retired after the race. She will doubtless be a valuable addition to the Aga Khan's legion of broodmares and it'll be fascinating to see her progeny in a few years.

Finally, to the USD 6 million Classic. Over 2000m on the Dirt this remains one of the world's great races despite the emergence of newer more valuable events. It's basically the American version of the Arc de Triomphe, the ultimate generational clash over the classic distance. With the crop of 2020 moderate, this looked a clash between the best of the 2019 survivors, KNICKS GO and the stars of the current classic generation, MEDINA SPIRIT, HOTRODCHARLIE and ESSENTIAL QUALITY all closely matched ever since the Kentucky Derby including clashes in the Belmont, Haskell and other big events.

Classic: 

Unlike the other Dirt races, this was run at a sensible pace and essentially gifted to KNICKS GO on whom Joel Rosario was able to set his own fractions and despite some pre-race reservations about the trip, he was too good for the youngsters but they basically gave the race away. I can only think no one thought it was in their interests to go up and pressure KNICKS GO but that would open the race to the others.

In the end, KNICKS GO won by two and three quarter lengths clocking 1 minute 59.57 seconds for the 2000m which is nothing special in American terms. He goes for the Pegasus at the end of January which will be his final race - he may well face the not insignificant challenge of Dirt Mile winner LIFE IS GOOD who may yet turn out the best of the 3-y-o.

MEDINA SPIRIT, who ma or may not go into the record books as the Kentucky Derby winner, finished second, ESSENTIAL QUALITY third and HOTRODCHARLIE fourth with again no more than a length and a quarter between them.

Summary - on the Dirt, a few upsets but the emergence of LIFE IS GOOD and KNICKS GO as real champions. On the turf, a treble for Godolphin, Charlie Appleby and William Buick but a sensational sprinting performance from GOLDEN PAL. Two winners for Japan emphasising how global the racing world is becoming - all we need is for the best of Australia to come up for a try or to offer a southern version of the Breeders Cup. Would VERY ELLEEGANT have gone close in the Turf? You could argue she'd have been right in the mix on lines through SPANISH MISSION.

I'm off to the races tomorrow for the first time for a very long time.

A Monday afternoon at Plumpton awaits - 41 runners in 7 races starting with a match.

Some say match races (which is where modern horse racing began) are a waste. 

This was last Friday at Cheltenham:

Pleased to report all participants are fine. Had he not overjumped, MY DROGO would have won a mile as the eventual winner made a much worse mistake but had the experience and some fine jockeyship by Rachel Blackmore to thank for staying in the race (had either foot touched the grass she's have been deemed to have been unseated but her feet stayed in the irons so she didn't fall and therefore was quite within her rights to get the horse moving). 

Not the most successful afternoon in East Sussex but good to be back trackside and I'm off to Lingfield tomorrow.

More runners (47 in six races) and a couple of decent Class 3 events - the former carrying the top pot tomorrow of just under £6,000 to the winner.

Looking ahead - this Saturday sees decent cards at both Haydock and Ascot. Nine have been entered for the first UK Grade 1 of the jumping season - the 4800m Betfair Chase at Haydock. Early favourite is A PLUS TARD who win the Savils at Leopardstown last Christmas and was second in the Gold Cup.

At Ascot, a brace of Grade 2 races dominate - eleven go in the 1965 Chase over 4200m. DASHEL DRASHER won the Ascot Chase last season but all his form is on very soft or heavy ground. Gordon Elliott has entered dual National winner TIGER ROLL but he needs another 3000m I'd imagine. The Coral Hurdle over 4000m is sometimes an early sighter for Champion Hurdle hopefuls but this looks a moderate renewal. GOSHEN missed Wincanton a fortnight ago and while on his best form he'd pick these up and carry them he's shown enough quirks in recent runs to make me more than a little wary. BUZZ won the Aintree Hurdle and was last seen winning the 3800m Cesarewitch at Newmarket, is the current favourite. 

20 minutes ago, stodge said:

Not the most successful afternoon in East Sussex but good to be back trackside and I'm off to Lingfield tomorrow.

More runners (47 in six races) and a couple of decent Class 3 events - the former carrying the top pot tomorrow of just under £6,000 to the winner.

Looking ahead - this Saturday sees decent cards at both Haydock and Ascot. Nine have been entered for the first UK Grade 1 of the jumping season - the 4800m Betfair Chase at Haydock. Early favourite is A PLUS TARD who win the Savils at Leopardstown last Christmas and was second in the Gold Cup.

At Ascot, a brace of Grade 2 races dominate - eleven go in the 1965 Chase over 4200m. DASHEL DRASHER won the Ascot Chase last season but all his form is on very soft or heavy ground. Gordon Elliott has entered dual National winner TIGER ROLL but he needs another 3000m I'd imagine. The Coral Hurdle over 4000m is sometimes an early sighter for Champion Hurdle hopefuls but this looks a moderate renewal. GOSHEN missed Wincanton a fortnight ago and while on his best form he'd pick these up and carry them he's shown enough quirks in recent runs to make me more than a little wary. BUZZ won the Aintree Hurdle and was last seen winning the 3800m Cesarewitch at Newmarket, is the current favourite. 

Great stuff Stodge

I love the walk from the train station to Lingfield racecourse - England at it's best.

Had a cracking day there at a December meeting many years ago - had decent collects from a bookie first 3 races and he told me in loudly and in no uncertain terms not to come back again ;)

On 11/15/2021 at 9:31 PM, chelseacol said:

Great stuff Stodge

I love the walk from the train station to Lingfield racecourse - England at it's best.

Had a cracking day there at a December meeting many years ago - had decent collects from a bookie first 3 races and he told me in loudly and in no uncertain terms not to come back again ;)

Gorgeous day yesterday as well.

Not too successful punting-wise. It sounds as though you had a run-in with Barry Dennis

Saturday saw the second day of the Cheltenham November meeting. The ground remained on the quick side for the time of the year. The Grade 2 Novices Chase over 3200m saw THIRD TIME LUCKI enhance his Arkle prospects with an emphatic win. This was a degree of relief for Team Skelton who had suffered the dramatic fall of MY DROGO the previous afternoon.

Although THIRD TIME LUCKI got an 11/1 quote for the novice chase championship race, the post-interview with the trainer hinted Aintree and Punchestown were more likely objectives.

The Grade 2 for the juvenile hurdlers saw the 75-rated KNIGHT SALUTE win his third successive juvenile hurdle. It's really hard to fathom which flat horses will make good hurdlers sometime - this one never went beyond 1600m but he's by Sir Percy out of an Unfuwain mare so there's a hint he might have done better over further on the level.

At Lingfield, meanwhile, the Churchill over 2000m went to PYLEDRIVER who will be heading for the Hong Kong Vase, He held off HARROVIAN close home - whether he's up to Sha Tin I don't know but he goes there in form and we know he's a proven performer at 2400m.

Sunday saw the final day at Cheltenham and the Grade 2 Schloer Chase over 3200m was a class event. NUBE NEGRA did this well bouncing off the quick turf - let's not forget he only just failed to win the Champion Chase in March and if we get decent ground, he'll be on the premises but last year's Arkle winner SHISHKIN looks the one they all have to beat at the minimum trip. POLITOLOGUE ran a fine second but you'd think he 'd better over a right hand track and a little further. PUT THE KETTLE ON was a shade flat in third.

The other Grade 2 for the novice hurdlers over 4000m cut up to just three runners. I LIKE TO MOVE IT won well at 4/7 and can go on to bigger and better things.

Just three also lined up for the Grade 1 Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown. SHARJAH has been runner up in the last two Champion Hurdles but has always looked a class act on quicker turf and he showed this here winning well from ZANAHIYR. I suspect connections will be looking to win a third Matheson Hurdle at Leopardstown over Christmas. Whether he's a match for HONEYSUCKLE this year remains to be seen but he's a solid performer and if we get Good ground at Cheltenham, he'll be right in the mix. 

The continuing autumn drought is a real issue for the jumping stables up here. The Wednesday card at Ffos Las had 91 runners for its 7 races but it was running on Soft ground.

For many other tracks, artificial irrigation is barely holding the line and as Mother Nature will no doubt change course before long, some tracks are afraid of overwatering now and being vulnerable to waterlogging later in the winter.

It's Good to Soft, Good in places at Haydock where eight stand in the Grade 1 Betfair Chase over 4800m. This has been dominated by one BRISTOL DE MAI in recent years and he won it in 2018 when it was last run on Good ground. He beat that year's Gold Cup winner in NATIVE RIVER and now faces this year's runner up in A PLUS TARD. On a line through NATIVE RIVER, you can argue BRISTOL DE MAI has a lot to find but this is his track and his time of year and there's no reason why he couldn't win this again.

A PLUS TARD ran a blinder at Cheltenham with only MINELLA INDO proving his superior. He should be fine on the ground - the question s how ready will he be first time up as there's no doubt in my mind the Gold Cup will be his principal target?

WAITING PATIENTLY was a fine second to FRODON in the King George and you could argue that's good enough to win this - he's an enigmatic performer but another for whom conditions now look ideal. I'm less convinced by NEXT DESTINATION who needs to find about a stone with the best of these while ROYALE PAGAILLE came through the ranks on soft and heavy ground but was well held in the Gold Cup.

With eight in the field, an each way play on WAITING PATIENTLY at 13/2 is my call.

At Ascot, the ground is Good, Good to Soft in places. Six go in the Grade 2 1965 Chase over 4200m. This is a race I'm struggling with to be honest as there are doubts about all of these. DASHEL DRASHER was very good last season winning the Grade 1 Ascot Chase on Heavy ground - back in his younger days he had form on decent ground but I'm just doubtful whether on this ground he might not want a bit further. He's beaten both MASTER TOMMYTUCKER and BENNY'S KING while DEFI DU SEUIL and LOSTINTRANSLATION are on retrieval missions after dismal campaigns last winter, Both might well be helped by the decent ground but neither is getting any younger. This is a race to leave alone from a punting angle.  

Just five stand in the Grade 2 hurdle over 3900m. SONG FOR SOMEONE won this last year and followed up at Cheltenham last December but he was made to look ordinary by GOSHEN at Wincanton and flopped at Aintree. This may be the right time to catch him but he faces both the enigmatic GOSHEN and the more reliable BUZZ, The latter was second at Aintree when SONG FOR SOMEONE pulled up and was last seen winning the Cesarewitch at Newmarket. That should be good enough but if GOSHEN were to return to his really top form he would be a real player.

We also have the Bahrain Trophy at Sakhir tomorrow, It's only a Group 3 but carries a first prize of £262,500. In some ways, it's a precursor to the forthcoming Meydan Carnival and it's interesting to see Charlie Appleby run both ZAKOUSKI and BARNEY ROY. The former won two Group 2 races at Meydan last spring and came back off a long break to win impressively at Newmarket three weeks ago. BARNEY ROY was a top 3-y-o and after returning to training, won the Jebel Hatta in 2020. He was off for more than a year before a quiet return at Newmarket early last month. MAGNY COURS brings solid French Group form to the table.  

A late autumn Saturday and some decent weather for racegoers at the two main fixtures, Ascot and Haydock.

The latter saw the running of the first Grade 1 of the campaign, the Betfair Chase, which is registered as the Lancashire Chase. For history buffs, this race was run at the Manchester Racecourse at Castle Irwell until the track closed in 1963. It was them defunct until being revived at Haydock in 2005 primarily, I think, in response to the Champion Chase at Down Royal. It has now become one of the three recognised Grade 1 races for the championship staying chasers - the other two being the King George at Kempton on Boxing Day and of course the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

It has impacted other races notably the race known as the Hennessey Gold Cup (now known as the Ladbrokes Chase) at Newbury next weekend. In the old races, the top chasers would often run in the Hennessey carrying big weights (it's a handicap). The immortal Arkle carried 12 st 7 lbs and won it twice in 1964 and 1965 and was beaten by the future Gold Cup winner Stalbridge Colonist in 1966 (the winner was receiving 35 lbs).

Nowadays, it's easier for the championship standards to run off levels at Haydock than to give lumps of weight away at Newbury.

The favourite for this year's renewal of the Betfair was Gold Cup runner up A PLUS TARD in front of three-time Betfair winner BRISTOL DE MAI. NEXT DESTINATION was a notable late scratching. 

Betfair Chase: 

A PLUS TARD came home unchallenged by 22 lengths and was visually impressive but I think he was gifted the race by the indifferent jumping and tactics of his main opponents. BRISTOL DE MAI and ROYALE PIGAILLE took each other on and neither jumped, I thought, with any fluency. WAITING PATIENTLY and CHATHAM HOUSE LAD also belted more than  one fence each. On the quick ground, they were going fast and that's when the jumping suffers - A PLUS TARD, on the other hand, never touched a twig as they say and was frankly always in command even when just off the pace.

Does this flatter the winner? Certainly but that's not his fault or problem. It seems unlikely he'll come back to England for the King George and the Savils will be his Christmas option. On tis evidence, the English chasers are still miles behind the Irish and FRODON, good though he was at Down Royal, wouldn't be anyone's idea of a Gold Cup winner though he will no doubt be at Kempton. As for BRISTOL DE MAI, a disappointing effort and whether it's the end or not he owes his connections nothing.

At Ascot, a brace of Grade 2 races attracted small but select fields. The 1965 Chase went to LOSTINTRANSLATION who ironically won the Betfair in 2019 beating BRISTOL DE MAI. The 2020 campaign was awful ending with the horse pulling up in the Gold Cup but the Tizzard stable was also having a bad year but time has moved on, the stable is back firing and so is the horse and let's not forget he was a close third in the 2020 Gold Cup so he has mixed it at the very top table. However, he'll be 10 next year and it's a big ask for him to be competitive again at the highest level but who knows?

The ground was clearly too quickly for DRASHEL DASHER but DEFI DU SEUIL was a well beaten last of the four finishers and still has questions to answer.

The Ascot Hurdle saw BUZZ continue his upward trajectory with a smooth win over the pace setting SONG FOR SOMEONE who also ran with credit. I could imagine connections coming back to Ascot for the Long Walk at Christmas if the ground is reasonable - is he a Stayers Hurdle contender? He's yet to compete with the best in the division and we'll know more after the Gerry Feilden at Newbury next weekend who might be the key players. The division is in flux with a new generation of staying hurdlers in Ireland such as JAMES DU BERLAIS and FLOORING PORTER coming through.

Couple of other bits - LORD GLITTERS rolled back the years to win the Group 3 Bahrain Trophy edging out BARNEY ROY and MAGNY COURS in a thrilling finish and I suspect the rivalry between the front two will continue in Meydan in the new year.

Heard today ADDEYBB has been very ill - a septic blood clot on a hind leg after his disappointing run in the Champion Stakes. He's been nursed back to health but whether we'll see him again on a racecourse is uncertain.  

Plenty to talk about as the weekend approaches.

In the UK, the feature meetings are at Newbury and Newcastle.

Newbury stages its 2-day Winter Festival starting on Friday - the ground is currently Good to Soft. Friday sees two Grade 2 races - the Berkshire Novices Chase over 4000m and the Long Distance Hurdle over 4800m.   

Saturday has the Novice chase named after the former champion jump jockey John Francome over 4750m. At Newcastle, the Grade 1 Fighting Fifth Hurdle over 3200m is likely to see the return of the Champion Hurdle third EPATANTE. The ground in the north east is Good.

Sunday sees the biggest day of the Irish season to date with three Grade 1 races at Fairyhouse. The Royal Bond is the novice hurdle over 3200m, the Drinmore is the novice chase over 4000m and the Hatton's Grace over 4000m which might have a mouth watering clash between the Champion Hurdler HONEYSUCKLE and the Punchestown Stayers Hurdle  winner KLASSICAL DREAM at the intermediate distance. HONEYSUCKLE is 4/7 having won this race in both 2019 and 2020 and she beat last week's Morgiana winner SHARJAH six lengths in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

There's also the Japan Cup next Sunday morning (UK) at Tokyo.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, stodge said:

Plenty to talk about as the weekend approaches.

In the UK, the feature meetings are at Newbury and Newcastle.

Newbury stages its 2-day Winter Festival starting on Friday - the ground is currently Good to Soft. Friday sees two Grade 2 races - the Berkshire Novices Chase over 4000m and the Long Distance Hurdle over 4800m.   

Saturday has the Novice chase named after the former champion jump jockey John Francome over 4750m. At Newcastle, the Grade 1 Fighting Fifth Hurdle over 3200m is likely to see the return of the Champion Hurdle third EPATANTE. The ground in the north east is Good.

Sunday sees the biggest day of the Irish season to date with three Grade 1 races at Fairyhouse. The Royal Bond is the novice hurdle over 3200m, the Drinmore is the novice chase over 4000m and the Hatton's Grace over 4000m which might have a mouth watering clash between the Champion Hurdler HONEYSUCKLE and the Punchestown Stayers Hurdle  winner KLASSICAL DREAM at the intermediate distance. HONEYSUCKLE is 4/7 having won this race in both 2019 and 2020 and she beat last week's Morgiana winner SHARJAH six lengths in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

There's also the Japan Cup next Sunday morning (UK) at Tokyo.

You’ve probably heard that Waller is considering bringing Verry Ellegant and Nature Strip over your way….VE for the Arc…..possibly……:rolleyes:

Excuse the cynicism but we’ve heard that before with Winx. Believe it when it happens.

11 hours ago, Nerula said:

VE doesnt have an unbeaten record to protect so I think the owners may have a go. Be a great swan song!

Yes, she would be most welcome and I don't think 2400m on soft ground would hold any fears.

If her form against ADDEYBB is any guide, she would be more than capable of mixing it with the best up here.

As for NATURE STRIP, would a stiff 1000m at Ascot be better than 1200m? I'm not sure but the southern hemisphere sprinters are often superior to the Europeans - let's not forget BLACK CAVIAR won and the mare she beat, MOONLIGHT CLOUD, became a real champion running races like the Maurice de Gheest, the Marois and the Foret.

Just back from a reasonably enjoyable afternoon trackside at Lingfield.

One of the problems we have up here (being as far north as we are) is the Sun doesn't get very high as we move into winter (shortest day less than a month away). At Lingfield, the Sun was so low and bright they had to doll off three hurdles and four fences on one section of the course and it was almost impossible to view the racing from the stands.

None of that made any of my selections run any faster and I left without the necessary pot in which to urinate.

Never mind.

The continuing dry spell has impacted on the weekend races at Newbury and Newcastle although heavy rain and perhaps snow if forecast for both tomorrow and Saturday. For now, the Newbury ground remains Good to Soft, Good in places (watered). Tomorrow's card has 40 runners in 6 races and then 15 in the concluding and I have to admit competitive handicap hurdle.

Just four go in the Berkshire Novices Chase over 4000m but all are quality contenders who have won their seasonal debut races, MILLERS BANK looked impressive at Huntingdon but the horse who was 11 lengths behind him that day flopped badly on his next run finishing last at Fakenham. NASSALAM just got home at Ascot but all his form is on soft or heavy ground. TEA CLIPPER won nicely at Chepstow beating a useful one from the Nicholls yard and that stable runs PIC D'ORHY who won over 4200m at Ffos Las and just has the suspicion he'd want further.

It's not an easy race to call but I quite like TEA CLIPPER unless the rains come.

6 go in the 4800m Long Distance Hurdle and they include, in PAISLEY PARK and LISNAGAR OSCAR, two former versions of the Stayers Hurdle championship race at Cheltenham. The truth is neither is the horse they were and both look vulnerable to a young improver and that might be MRS MILNER who won the Pertemps Final at Cheltenham in March and looks ready for this step up. However, INDEFATIGABLE may be the fly in the ointment - he looked improved when winning the West Yorkshire at Wetherby a month ago and could still be ahead of his mark on this decent ground.

On to Saturday and just four go in the Grade 2 John Francome Novices Chase over 4800m. The all-conquering Henry de Bromhead sends over MR INCREDIBLE but I'm quite interested in FLASH COLLONGES for all he's been off 266 days since winning at Kelso. It's his fencing debut and he's certainly been pitched in at the deep end.

At Newcastle, the ground remains Good and Champion Hurdle third EPATANTE has five rivals in the Fighting Fifth over 3200m. She won this last year beating SCEAU ROYAL but the latter had a troubled run after a chaotic start which saw one horse fall and another get carried out. To be fair, SCEAU ROYAL looked very good at Wincanton the other day and connections must fancy their chances of overturning the Henderson mare. There's a complication in the form of the unbeaten MONMIRAL who swerved the Triumph at Cheltenham and won the equivalent at Aintree. Whether he's up to taking on these more experienced top notch hurdlers remains to be seen but he brings an intriguing dimension to the race.

18 stand in Sunday's Japan Cup over 2400m at Tokyo. The ground is officially Good to Firm on the turf track.

BROOME, JAPAN and GRAND GLORY fly the international flag and on recent form the first-named looks the best. Having finished mid division in the Arc, BROOME was a close second to YIBIR in the Breeders Cup Turf with JAPAN three lengths behind in fourth. GRAND GLORY won the Jean Romanet at Deauville and was just touched off by ROUGIR in the Opera. The problem is he's no form on fast ground and has never gone beyond 2000m so it's a guess.

We know BROOME will love the trip and the ground and Ryan Moore is a world class jockey.

What of the locals?  CONTRAIL was second to the immortal ALMOND EYE in the 2020 renewal of this race and his second to EFFORIA in the Tenno Sho over 2000m was a better effort and makes me think his season has been building to this. As for EFFORIA, he had been touched off by SHAHRIYAR in the Japanese Derby. After his summer break, the latter was fourth on soft ground in a Group 2 at Chukyo and that dents confidence a little.

The Japanese Oaks winner UBERLEBEN is the other 3-y-o in the field but she was well held in the Shuka Sho at Hanshin last time.

CONTRAIL looks a big player to this observer - this is such a tough race for the Europeans to win but I'd not be surprised to see BROOME finish in the first four.

We'll start the weekend review in reverse order (just to see who's still with me) and start with this morning's Japan Cup at Tokyo:

Japan Cup 2021: 

A fitting end to a superb racing career as CONTRAIL defied the odds of 3/5 and came home the winner of the Japan Cup. He was thwarted by the brilliant ALMOND EYE in this last year but he was just too good for these and goes to stud having won £8.3 million in win and place money.

He's by Deep Impact (naturally) out of an unraced daughter of Unbridled's Song. On ratings, he's a couple of lb behind A SHIN HIKARI who in his day won both the Hong Kong Cup and the Ispahan. I'd love to see some of his progeny racing beyond Japan.

AUTHORITY ran a fine race in second with the 2021 Derby winner SHAHRIYAR firmly put in place, nearly four lengths behind the 2020 winner.

Of the Europeans, GRAND GLORY ran a huge race in fifth collecting £212,000 for his connections. As I suspected, the fast ground was hat he wanted and I wonder if his connections will look to races in England next year where he's more likely to find quicker ground - a race like the Coronation Cup or the King George could be very interesting.

JAPAN and BROOME finished eighth and eleventh respectively.

Friday at Newbury saw the racing take place on ground described as Good to Soft.

The Berkshire Novices Chase wasn't short of incident as first PIC D'ORHY fell when leading four out and then MILLER'S TALE, who looked to be in control, fired Harry Bannister into orbit two out. That left NASSALAM to come home a mile ahead of TEA CLIPPER. Was NASSALAM a fortunate winner? Probably but the object of the exercise is to jump the fences.

The Long Distance Hurdle saw veteran and fan favourite PAISLEY PARK sent off head of the market to win this race again but though he raced more prominently and jumped better than has sometimes been the case, he's unquestionably lost a bit of his old edge and he was readily brushed aside from two out as the race developed between THOMAS DARBY and ON THE BLIND SIDE and the former proved much too good despite having made a couple of errors on the way round. 

I'll get to Saturday's action once I've stopped crying over my losses.

This coming weekend the quality remains strong with the two-day Sandown December meeting the highlight in Britain. For the first time, the Friday is getting free-to-air tv coverage. The ground on the Esher Slopes is currently Good to Soft but rain is forecast.

The Friday feature is a Grade 2 Novices Hurdle over 4000m but the quality card is Saturday which features two Grade 1 3200m steeplechases which mean the thrill of watching them jump the seven down the far side including the famous (or infamous) "Railway" fences (because they are near the railway). 

The Tingle Creek (named after the superb fencer from the 1970s) is for the championship level chasers. No SHISHKIN regrettably but a mouth watering clash between CHACUN POUR SOI and NUBE NEGRA.

The Henry VIII is the equivalent for the novices - THIRD TIME LUCKI has impressed twice at Cheltenham. This is a different test but his excellent jumping will be a big advantage even over these tough fences.

Sunday's feature in Ireland is the John Durkan over 4000m at Punchestown. This is a chase over that intermediate distance and is an early chance to see the Ryanair prospects from Ireland.

I try to bring my "Anecdotal Expertise" as it's been termed on another thread to matters in the far north so let's see how we look for the coming weekend.

Just five go in tomorrow's Ballymore Winter Novices Hurdle at Sandown, a Grade 2 over 4000m. All won on their last run so we're dealing with decent types and whatever they do in this it's quite likely all have a future at the winter game.

Overnight favourite is BRAVE KINGDOM who won a Chepstow novice hurdle which is usually an above average race. I saw VIVA LAVILA win at Lingfield a fortnight ago and for all she did it well the quality of what she beat is debatable.

Saturday is a decent afternoon's sport for jump fans - at Aintree, there's a race over the Grand National fences but we also have the Grade 2 Many Clouds Chase over 5000m which features the dual National winner TIGER ROLL. This isn't his type of race to be honest. PROTEKTORAT ran a blinder in the Paddy Power Gold Cup but his jumping wasn't without some issues and I prefer IMPERIAL AURA who lost the rider in the Betfair at Haydock a couple of weeks ago but he's a quality horse at this level and I take him over the former Gold Cup winner NATIVE RIVER who, at eleven, may find this happening all too quickly even on the forecast soft ground.

Sandown stages the two Grade 1 races of the day.  7 stand in the Henry VIII for the Novices over 3200m. THIRD TIME LUCKI looked a natural jumper at Cheltenham and if he brings that to Sandown he will take plenty of beating. EDWARDSTONE was brought down on chasing debut at Warwick but followed up well over the same track. WAR LORD and MINELLA DRAMA were split by a short head at Carlisle last time but are they up to the quality of the southern horses?

Five go in the Tingle Creek for the championship chasers over 3200m. CHACUN POUR SOI is the class act - he won two Grade 1 chases at Leopardstown and the equivalent at Punchestown but met defeat at Cheltenham when third, beaten a length and a quarter, in the Champion Chase. NUBE NEGRA was a length in front of him in second but was 25 lengths behind at Punchestown a month later on slower ground.

The ground is currently Good at Sandown and that will suit NUBE NEGRA and the latter also has the advantage of match fitness having won well at Cheltenham three weeks ago.

GREANETEEN was only just behind NUBE NEGRA and CHACUN POUR SOI at Cheltenham and followed up at Sandown at the end of the campaign but clearly needed the run at Exeter and has a fair bit to prove. HITMAN was well in front of him at Exeter and is an interesting improver who could take advantage if any of the favourites fail to fire. 

I'm not having a bet but NUBE NEGA would be my choice and especially so if the ground stays dry.

A bit late in the day perhaps but a chance to reflect on last weekend's racing up here.

The feature Grade 1 took place at a wintry Newcastle which had survived storm-force overnight winds and then had to endure hail and snow showers during the afternoon. The Fighting Fifth Hurdle over 3200m (named after a famous regiment from the city) is the first big championship hurdle race and together with the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton and the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham forms the pattern for the top hurdlers.

Fighting Fifth Hurdle: 

An early candidate for race of the season -an absolute thriller with EPATANTE and NOT SO SLEEPY inseparable on the line and SCEAU ROYAL close behind in third. 

I have to say EPATANTE jumped a lot better than she did at times last year and it seems whatever back problem was ailing her has been resolved. She travelled into the race really well but I suspect the snow-covered ground was pretty tacky and wouldn't have helped this free-going sort.

Nonetheless, kudos to NOT SO SLEEPY who's a quirky type but has plenty of ability. He beat BUZZ in a big handicap hurdle at Ascot, was fifth in the Champion Hurdle and is rated 100 on the Flat having run seventh in the Chester Cup. He's had a run on the flat at Doncaster so had race fitness but this was still a fine effort.

I suspect EPATANTE will go for the Christmas Hurdle as last year and it's possible she'll bump into NOT SO SLEEPY again. SCEAU ROYAL was undone by the slight softening of the ground caused by the snow but still ran well. The disappointment was MONMIRAL who never jumped with any fluency - it's notoriously hard for the second season hurdlers to mix it with the experienced types.

At Newbury, AHOY SENOR got some fancy quotes for the 2023 Gold Cup after a bloodless win in the John Francome Novices Chase. He slammed the Irish raider MR INCREDIBLE by 31 lengths and will, I suspect, head for the Feltham at Kempton over Christmas.

Sunday saw a strong card at Fairyhouse with three Grade 1 races run on Good ground as the long dry spell continued.

Royal Bond Novices Hurdle: 

Favourite backers must have though they were going to draw as MY MATE MOZZIE landed two lengths clear over the start but it was not to be as STATUAIRE cut him down in the final 50m to win a short head with MIGHTY POTTER close up in third. It's very early days and Christmas at Leopardstown will tell us a lot more but there's not yet a clear top Irish Novice hurdler on the scene and those looking for a banker for the opener at Cheltenham have plenty of searching to do.

Eight went in the Drinmore over 3200m for the Novice chasers and this looked wide open with LIFETIME AMBITION sent off 3/1 favourite.

Drinmore Novices Chase: 

Another exciting finish and it would have been brave to call BEACON EDGE the winner on the home turn as he was fourth and being ridden. In truth, he needed every inch of the trip to prevail and I think Cheltenham will be a big help but what won him the race was his jumping and that's what cost GABYNAKO who walked through the last two and that cost him close home. FURY ROAD ran a fine race and could be the one of these to take to Leopardstown at Christmas.

They were nicely clear of LIFETIME AMBITION who faded tamely from two out but one to note was CAPE GENTLEMEN who fell three out but certainly wasn't done with and could be a value bet next time.

On then to the Hatton's Grace and the seasonal re-appearance of the 2021 Champion Hurdler HONEYSUCKLE:

Hatton's Grace Hurdle: 

She was sent off at 2/5 and fully entitled to brush these aside and she did so with relish. It was a very taking performance and you'd have to say on the back of this and the Fighting Fifth,  the fact she's 4/5 for the 2022 Champion doesn't come as any surprise. She's actually at a bigger price (2s) for the Matheson over Christmas and there's just a suspicion Leopardstown isn't her favourite venue but the English have nothing to bother her at this time.

ABRACADABRAS will surely go up in trip after this - he's crying out for 4000m and if he were mine, I'd aim him at the Stayers which looks a weak division currently.

Ten go in Sunday's John Durkan Chase over 4000m at Punchestown where the ground has gone Yielding to Soft after recent rain.

It's a class field as you'd expect for a Grade 1 over the intermediate distance.

ALLAHO is clear top rated - he slammed FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES twelve lengths in the Ryanair but was outpaced by CHACUN POUR SOI at Punchestown. That was no disgrace and while the trip will suit, the lack of a run in this class against some of these is a worry.

FAKIR D'OUDAIRIES, after running second in the Ryanair, went to Aintree and won the Marsh Chase over 4000m by ten lengths. He went to Punchestown and went up to 4800m but didn't see it out and finished third to CLAN DES OBEAUX. His return at Clonmel was full of promise and he comes into this on form and with a big chance.

Favourite however is the enigmatic ENVOI ALLEN who was a top hurdler winning the Ballymore at Cheltenham in 2020. From there, he went novice chasing and looked the real deal hacking up in the Drinmore last year and he went to the 4000m Marsh Novices Chase at Cheltenham as 4/9 favourite only to fall early. He flopped at Punchestown and ended last season with questions to answer.

The come back run at Down Royal told us little as he beat trees and this is the real test against proven Grade 1 performers. If he wins this and wins it well, he'll be back on track but I think he has vulnerabilities in his jumping and I wouldn't back him with Scooby's money at 7/4. Some, like ASTERION FORLONGE and MELON, are on recovery missions but JANIDIL looks overpriced at 25/1. He won his Grade 1 at Fairyhouse though admittedly it probably wasn't the strongest race and I can excuse him not being able to cope with ENERGUMENE over 3200m at Punchestown. He's got to improve but he's the one among the bigger priced horses who could out run his odds.