RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Worth just shy of £715,000 to the winner, the Champion Stakes is one of the biggest races of the British season. Over 2000m, I suppose it's the end of season version of the Juddmonte and the winner of that race this year, MISHRIFF, was well fancied despite doubts over the ground but he faced a formidable opponent in Derby winner ADAYAR who had to come back from his fourth place in the Arc just 13 days earlier.

It was far from a two-horse race with former winner ADDEYBB one of a three-pronged attack from trainer William Haggas who also supplied AL AASY and the fast improving DUBAI HONOUR. The French also had a rare raider in Arc fifth SEALIWAY who was closely matched with ADAYAR on Paris form.

Champion Stakes: 

Arc weekend saw British, Irish and of German challengers sweep most of the big races but the French bounced back here with SEALIWAY just holding off DUBAI HONOUR. The second had made a good impression winning the Dollar from off the pace and this was another substantial step forward for this gelding who has improved 25 lbs since losing his wedding tackle. You'd think he'd be a significant force as a 4-y-o at 2000m.

The winner was eighth to ST MARK'S BASILICA in the Poulains and then a close second in the Jockey Club before taking the traditional French summer break before his fine run in the Arc. Once again, a light season proved invaluable whether via a late start or a substantial lay off. You could argue this confirms ST MARK'S BASILICA as the top 2000m performer given his wins in the Jockey Club, Eclipse and Irish Champion and that's a fair point though the second here has closed the gap quite a bit.

MAC SWINEY ran on for third - he's had a mixed time since winning the Irish 2000 Guineas but does seem to enjoy slower ground. MISHRIFF faded to fourth and John Gosden was adamant the late rain hadn't helped but I'm not convinced he quite sees out a stiff 2000m as he found both here and at Sandown and is better on a flatter track and quicker ground.

ADAYAR was disappointing - he took over 600m out from the weakening ADDEYBB but found little in the final 300m and I'm convinced he needs quick ground. He's not the first Derby winner to disappoint in the Champion and he won't be the last. After the first five, there was a big gap to ADDEYBB who set the pace but was readily brushed aside.

The time was just under 3 seconds below standard which was decent given the ground and compared well to the Queen Elizabeth II which was 3.67 seconds slow despite being run on the straight course which is normally quicker. That confirmed my view it was run at a strong gallop and favoured those with a bit of stamina on the soft ground.

Final thoughts - a double for Jim Crowley and Shadwell a fitting tribute to Sheikh Hamdan. A win for Godolphin and one for the French with TRUESHAN confirming his status as the top stayer. Nothing for Gosden or Aidan O'Brien which is unusual - not Dettori's best day at a course which he usually rides so well. Oisin Murphy was confirmed champion jockey but the trainer's title still has a little mileage though Charlie Appleby looks in pole position with only the Vertem Futurity this Saturday as the final Group One.

It's been 10 years since it was inaugurated but Champions Day has become a significant presence in the British flat racing season - its relationship with Arc Weekend remains ambiguous - the likes of TRUESHAN, SEALIWAY and DUBAI HONOUR all showed it's possible to back up from Paris but you need a horse who enjoys soft ground and hasn't had a long hard season. CREATIVE FORCE had been on the go since mid April but had enjoyed a short break. Arguably, his was the performance of the day but I suspect most plaudits will go to BAAEED - another who had been given a rest after the Moulin in early September.

After the excitement of Champions Day, a chance to catch breath slightly.

We still have the Vertem Futurity at Doncaster on Saturday - the final British Group 1 (of which more anon).

From there, we're off to Australia and then to America for the Breeders Cup (for the first time on free-to-air television in the UK - a real coup) on November 5th and 6th. After tha, it's the Japan Cup before we end up in Hong Kong in mid-December.

15 have been entered for Saturday's Vertem Futurity over 1600m at Doncaster. The ground on Town Moor is currently Good but plenty of rain is forecast. Ante post favourite is Aidan O'Brien's LUXEMBOURG who bolted up in the Beresford last time. He faces three strong home challengers in ROYAL PATRONAGE, who won the Royal Lodge beating COROEBUS, ANGEL BLEU, who won the Jean-Luc Lagardere last time and BAYSIDE BOY, who was third in the Dewhurst.

More on this later in the week.

In addition to the Vertem Futurity, we also have the Group 1 Royal Oak at Longchamp on Sunday. This is generally known as the French Leger as it's run over 3100m.

30 have been entered but forfeit stages remain - the likes of SKAZINO and VALIA would be likely contenders but we'll know more on Friday.

As a brief aside, TARHIB won the Class 5 novice stakes over 1200m at Yarmouth yesterday.

I'm mentioning it because he was returned at 1/40 - the shortest price for any horse for some time over here.

That means if I had walked up to a bookie with £40,000 and bet it on TARHIB to win I'd have walked away with £41,000 - still, better than any bank with current interest rates.

As always, the busy Autumn period means races get forgotten.

I did remember the Group 1 Vertem Futurity over 1600m at Doncaster. After heavy rain, the ground is now Soft at Town Moor and 10 have been declared for the final Group 1 race of the British flat season.

Favourite is Beresford winner LUXEMBOURG, unbeaten in two, and very much in the pattern of past Aidan O'Brien-trained winners of this race such as Saxon Warrior. He's a worthy favourite but the form of the stable isn't the best and he faces two strong home defenders. The first is Royal Lodge and Acomb winner ROYAL PATRONAGE who was arguably the beneficiary of a rare misjudgement by William Buick who went for home early on COROEBUS in the Royal Lodge only to tire and be run down close home.

ROYAL PATRONAGE comes into this race in form and we know he stays well. The enigma here is BAYSIDE BOY who won the Champagne and followed up with a fine third to NATIVE TRAIL in the Dewhurst. He brings the best form into the race but the question for me is whether he'll get the 1600m on soft ground. If he does, he might be the one against the front two and at 11/2 he looks an each way bet to nothing.

I'm worried about IMPERIAL FIGHTER who is improving but he was well held by COROEBUS a fortnight ago and will need to take another step forward. SISSOKO is trained by Donnacha O'Brien and won an 1800m maiden at The Curragh by six lengths last week. This is again a big step forward.

I'm on BAYSIDE BOY in the hope he'll stay the trip but if he doesn't LUXEMBOURG could well justify his status at the top of the market.

In France, the final big meeting at Saint-Cloud features their last two juvenile Group 1 races which I had forgotten. 

The ground is currently Good to Soft in Paris and assuming it stays not too bad, the two Group 1 races could be interesting.

The Criterium International over 1600m for the colts and fillies has seven runners - five colts and two fillies. ANGEL BLEU won the Lagardere on Arc day but ANCIENT ROME was a fast finishing third and over this extra 200m has a big chance. OSCULA was third in the Marcel Boussac and looks held while PURPLEPAY won a sales race over Arc weekend and could be on the upgrade.  

The Criterium de Saint Cloud over 2000m is the only Group 1 for the juveniles over this distance in the European pattern. GOLDSPUR just held off UNCONQUERABLE in the Zetland at Newmarket over this trip and I think the second has some hope of turning the places round but both face a strong double-handed challenge from Andre Fabre. DREAMFLIGHT won a Group 3 last time but I favour MARTEL who was a ready winner of a maiden last time on just his second run.

Apologies, it's actually just eight for the Vertem Futurity but that still keeps the each way bet on BAYSIDE BOY alive and he's been clipped into 4s this evening. The ground remains soft at Doncaster.

The ground has gone Very Soft at Saint-Cloud after heavy rain on Wednesday evening.

All 12 stand for Sunday's Royal Oak at Longchamp where it's also gone Very Soft.

This is going to make the 3000m a real slog - KEMARI was second in the Group 2 Chaudenay over the course and distance on the Saturday of Arc weekend when the ground wasn't so bad. VALIA was third in the Group 1 Royallieu over 100m less the next day after more overnight rain. I prefer VALIA who we know gets every yard of this trip.

SKAZINO didn't get home in the Cadran over 4000m but on his midsummer second to VALIA in the Prix Radio FG has claims.

SEARCH FOR A SONG won the Irish Leger in 2020 but put in a couple of lesser efforts before romping away with a Group 3 over 3200m last time.

One to consider against the leading fancies is SCOPE who ran away with a Listed at Ascot last time after a fair sixth in the Leger albeit well behind HURRICANE LANE who ended up third in the Arc. It's a big ask on form but sometimes at the end of the season these lightly-raced types can improve past those who've had a long hard season as we saw last weekend.

Autumn beckons here in the northern hemisphere and for Britain and France the final Group 1 races took place over the weekend before attention heads further afield.

At Doncaster, the ground was Soft for the Vertem Futurity for the colts over the straight 1600m. Aidan O'Brien's juveniles have certainly not been as dominant as in previous years and with the defeat of POINT LONSDALE, the Ballydoyle colts in particular have looked ordinary. LUXEMBOURG had moved to the top of the pecking order with a convincing win in the Beresford but he faced two useful types in Acomb and Royal Lodge winner ROYAL PATRONAGE and Dewhurst third BAYSIDE BOY.

Vertem Futurity: 

Workmanlike rather than impressive perhaps but LUXEMBOURG got the job done winning by a length and three quarters. There were some contrary views expressed after the race - I thought he was all stamina and while I'm sure he'd enjoy some better ground, the key thing for him will be to go further and I don't see why he wouldn't get the 2400m as his sire, Camelot, did.

On the other hand, both trainer Aidan O'Brien and jockey Ryan Moore mentioned the horse's high cruising speed and he wouldn't be the first Vertem winner to flatter to deceive in terms of stamina - perhaps the Guineas will be his race but Godolphin have plenty of ammunition to throw at him so it already looks a fascinating race albeit with the better part of six months to wait.

SISSOKO had previously won a Curragh maiden over 1800m and couldn't live with the winner in the final 100m. I think he's the more likely stayer and is the one I'd take out of this for races like the Derby. It didn't go well for BAYSIDE BOY with not much room on offer - he wouldn't have beaten the winner with a clear run but he would have got second. On a line through BAYSIDE BOY, you could argue there's not much between LUXEMBOURG and NATIVE TRAIL - the end of season ratings will be interesting.

Both HANNIBAL BARCA and IMPERIAL FIGHTER out ran their odds to finish a close fourth and fifth. The fourth had won a Salisbury maiden last time so this was a big step forward while IMPERIAL FIGHTER had finished behind ROYAL PATRONAGE in the Acomb and COROEBUS in a Group 3 but then that's Group 3 form in a Group 1 race and perhaps shows for all the hype COROEBUS still has something to prove at the highest level.

ROYAL PATRONAGE finished last having been eased after being struck into.

Off then to Saint Cloud for the final Group 1 juvenile races of the French season.

The Criterium International over 1600m was arguably France's version of the Doncaster race - Lagardere winner ANGEL BLEU.

Criterium International: 

I thought over the extra 200m ANCIENT ROME would reverse the Lagardere form with ANGEL BLEU but all he could do was cut the gap from a length and a half to a head. I thought Barzalona was a little short of room in the final 200m but it made no difference and ANGEL BLEU ends the season on a high and will take high ranking among the juvenile colts though some will argue he has needed soft or heavy ground to show his form and his form earlier on quick ground wasn't so inspiring.

PURPLEPLAY ran well against the boys and looks a real prospect for the Pouliches and the Diane next year and Andre Fabre will no doubt see ANCIENT ROME as a Poulains prospect on this evidence.

The only European Group 1 for the juveniles over 2000m is the Criterium de Saint Cloud and the first two from Britain's foremost equivalent race, albeit only a Group 3, the Zetland at Newmarket, looked to dominate the betting. Godolphin have plenty of strong juveniles as we know and GOLDSPUR looked another with real appeal after two wins but Frankie Dettori was on UNCONQUERABLE and there wasn't much between them on the Rowley Mile two weeks earlier.

Criterium de Saint-Cloud: 

Apologies for the French commentary.

A curious race but a fine piece of tactical riding from Ioritz Mendizabal on the 9/1 shot EL BODEGON - a son of Kodiac out of a Kingmambo mare and a full to the former Godolphin star BEST SOLUTION who won the 2018 Caulfield Cup and was eighth in that year's Melbourne Cup. 

Given that pedigree, he passed under my radar but had won plenty on soft ground both in a Sandown maiden on heavy and when winning a Group 3 at Chantilly last time. It looked a big jump to Group 1 but as I said, there wasn't much Group 1 form on offer so what we've had is a bunch of Group 3 horses running in a Group 1.

I thought GOLDSPUR was going well at the top of the straight but he found little and the trip on the ground might have been too much at this stage. The maiden STONE AGE ran second in front of the pack - UNCONQUERABLE was a long way back off a very slow pace (they ran 14 seconds above Standard for the 2000m) and ran on once it was all over.

The other point is the British finished 1st, 3rd and 6th. The Irish finished 2nd, 4th and 5th and the French finished 7th, 8th and 9th. 

For all SEALIWAY's success in the Champion, the unvarnished truth is France is slipping behind Britain and Ireland across the board currently. 

The final European Group 1 (I think) took place yesterday at Longchamp (ground heavy) with the Prix Royal Oak over 3100m. It looked wide open with the likes of KEMARI, VALIA and SKAZINO looking the more likely winners.

Prix Royal Oak:

It's often said up here you should follow a filly in form and SCOPE came into this having won a Listed race at Ascot by six and a half lengths but she was in here against some proven Group 1 performers and she just held off the strong finishing SKAZINO who confirmed his position as the top French stayer having won the Kergorlay at Deauville but let's not forget he was seven and a half lengths behind TRUESHAN in the Cadran so he's a way behind the top British stayers.

I don't know if SCOPE will tray in training next year - she obviously has paddock value after this - but she looks an interesting prospect in the Cup races.

There was a healthy gap back to GLYCON and SEARCH FOR A SONG while both KEMARI and VALIA were well beaten.

They ran just under 10 seconds above standard and in the ground it looked a genuine stamina test which really only the first two passed.

It's that time of the year when the Flat horses (the good ones) head overseas and the jumpers take centre stage.

I'll give an update of the British and Irish jumping season as we move through the big Christmas Festivals, the crucial Dublin Racing Festival in February on our way to the Cheltenham meeting in just under five months.

This Saturday sees the first Grade 1 of the new season - the Champion Chase over 4000m at Down Royal in Ulster where the ground is currently Good. 10 have been entered including the Gold Cup winner MINELLA INDO and the King George winner FRODON but we'll see who turns up on the day.

Couple of bits of news this evening.

STRADIVARIUS will race on in 2022 as an 8-y-o but it will be his final season. John Gosden announced after a meeting with the horse's owner Bjorn Nielsen the plan will be to run in the Sagaro Stakes before a tilt at the Ascot Gold Cup where he will bid to emulate Yeats in winning four renewals (the latter did this consecutively) and a final race in the Goodwood Cup which he has also already won four times from 2017 to 2020.

Heavy overnight rain this year left the Sussex turf heavy and TRUESHAN was the beneficiary.

Switching to the jumps, seven have been entered for the 4800m Champion Chase at Down Royal where the ground has eased to Yielding.

MINELLA INDO, the Gold Cup here from March, makes his seasonal re-appearance but faces King George winner FRODON and the race fit GALVIN who won the 6000m Grade 2 at Cheltenham and returned with a taking win at Punchestown last week.

Both ROAD TO RESPECT and DELTA WORK are due to turn up . The former won this in 2019 but hasn't been seen since running third to the latter at the 2019 Leopardstown Christmas meeting in the Savils Chase. He's a 10-y-o now but while DELTA WORK is two years younger, his 2020 form was a notch below par - he was fifth in this race, tipped over in the Savils and was third in the Irish Gold Cup though he did finish just in front of MINELLA INDO that day.

Just five stand in tomorrow's Champion Chase at Down Royal where the ground has been downgraded to Soft.

MINELLA INDO, GALVIN and FRODON are the three obvious ones but DELTA WORK could make them all go if he's back to his best. It's possible MINELLA INDO might need the race while the ground might just have gone for FRODON and GALVIN.

I'm not playing but if I had a spare fiver maybe DELTA WORK at 10s.

The Grade 2 Novice chase sees the return of ENVOI ALLEN who swept the Irish trials and was for many the banker bet at Cheltenham but he fell early and was then pulled up lame at Punchestown. He has no excuses tomorrow and should win.

CYRNAME contests the Grade 2 Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby where the ground is Good to Soft. He's another who has arguably flattered to deceive. He won this last year on his re-appearance. However, he was pulled up in the King George and also flopped in the Ascot Chase over a track and trip where he has been brilliant in the past. Wind surgery may well help but it will have to if he is to get back in the serious Gold Cup reckoning. 

Looking further ahead, we have the Breeders Cup from Del Mar ("where the turf meets the surf") next Friday and Saturday.

Del Mar racecourse is about 30 miles north of San Diego and is quite simply one of the most gorgeous racetracks on God's green earth. The backdrops are the Pacific Ocean and the mountains and as it's nearly always sunny and clear.

They normally race up to the end of September but have extended their autumn meeting to climax with the two days of the Breeders Cup meeting.

We've got the pre-entries through for the thirteen Grade 1 races over the two days - five on Friday and nine on Saturday.

I'll leave Harry the Newshound to talk more about the Americans and I'll concentrate on the European interest (and perhaps the Japanese as well).

Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf - 1600m - Friday

It's interesting to see the Europeans in this have had more racing than the Americans which isn't usually the case. HELLO YOU beat CACHET in the Rockfel over 1400m while MISE EN SCENE beat HELLO YOU at Goodwood but was fourth to INSPIRAL in the Fillies' Mile. ZAIN CLAUDETTE flopped in the Cheveley Park after her hard-fought Lowther win while the French raider MALAVATH won a Group 2 last time but on very sot turf.

All of this is solid if slightly short of Group 1 standard and I suspect the American fillies will be too good.

Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf - 1600m - Friday

DUBAWI LEGEND chased home NATIVE TRAIL in the Dewhurst and that's solid form while ALBAHR has had the advantage of running on North American turf having won a Grade 1 at Woodbine last time. GLOUNTHAUNE represents Ballydoyle and was thought good enough to be entered in the Vertem Futurity last week but was re-routed here. MODERN GAMES and GREAT MAX don't look good enough.

Breeders Cup Turf Sprint - 1000m - Saturday

Last year's winner GLASS SLIPPERS runs again and she put up a decent effort on the heavy in Paris to finish third in the Abbaye. I prefer Kevin Ryan's other runner, EMARAATY ANA, who was a close second in the Nunthorpe before winning the Haydock Sprint Cup beating STARMAN. Wesley Ward has entered GOLDEN PAL and KIMARI who have both run well at Ascot in the past.

Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf - 2100m - Saturday

With double declarations, this may not have as strong a European challenge as in previous year. AUDARYA has to bounce back from a slightly disappointing run behind ROUGIR in the Opera. The latter looks interesting in this while the Japanese challenger LOVES ONLY YOU was only half a length behind MISHRIFF in the Sheema Classic.

Breeders Cup Mile - 1600m - Saturday

This a race the Europeans often win and last year's champion ORDER OF AUSTRALIA is back in the race but Godolphin have entered the 1400m specialist SPACE BLUES who confirmed his superiority in the division by winning the Foret last time. This tight 1600m may be ideal but stable companion MASTER OF THE SEAS should enjoy this ground more than Ascot and MOTHER EARTH brings serious Group 1 form to the table having finished a close fifth to BAAEED last time.

Breeders Cup Turf - 2400m - Saturday

The other race the Europeans usually win. The three fillies TARNAWA, TEONA and LOVE dominate. TARNAWA was second in the Arc but this will suit her better I believe. That said, TEONA took a big step forward winning the Vermeille last time beating SNOWFALL. LOVE hasn't seen seen since her surprising Blandford defeat but on form she's a serious rival. SISFAHAN brings serious German form and in the Grosser Preis von Baden was beaten only a length by a certain TORQUATOR TASSO and we know what he did after that. YIBIR is a fascinating 3-y-o but it's been a long season for him.

The fantastic news is that for the first time ever the whole meeting will be broadcast live in the UK on a free-to-air channel. With Ed Chamberlain and Francesca Cumani trackside, this won't just be a pick up of the NBC feed but a whole dimension of new coverage.

I'll comment more once we get the final fields. 

In the aftermath of a thrilling MC, a moment just to reflect on the past weekend up here.

Jump racing is now in charge though the turf flat season ends at Doncaster this Saturday.

The big race was at Down Royal in Northern Ireland, the Champion Chase over 4800m on soft ground.

Champion Chase: 

FRODON is one of the toughest battlers you'll ever see on a racecourse and he needed all his courage to see off GALVIN. 

There was the usual eulogising of the horse and his jockey after the race but to be honest I thought FRODON took plenty of liberties with the admittedly very soft Down Royal fences. Some of the jumps would have seen him on the deck at places like Sandown and Cheltenham but he was obviously prepared fit and ready for his debut and did it well.

He will go to the King George which is the climax of his season as he's not a Gold Cup horse. GALVIN had the advantage of race fitness and came with every chance and this may be the best he'll be in such exalted company.

If I held an ante post voucher on MINELLA INDO retaining the Gold Cup, I'd certainly not be ripping it up after this. Rachael Blackmore looked after him when he got tired and doubtless his campaign is being geared for March at Prestbury Park. This was a decent effort and he remains top of the pack for now. DELTA WORK just isn't the horse he was I fear which probably means he'll pop up at a big price at Leopardstown at Christmas and you'll hear my screams in Invercargill.

On the same card, ENVOI ALLEN had a nice canter round to win by 22 lengths in the Grade 2  3900m chase - I imagine the Ryanair rather than the Gold Cup would be his target but I'd love to see him in the King George as well.

At Wetherby, we saw a perhaps more impressive performance in the Grade 2 Charlie Hall Chase. Previous winner CYRNAME set the pace but was never given any peace by SHAN BLUE and the latter readily went on and swept into a twenty length lead before taking a heavy fall two out leaving FUSIL RAFFLES to pick up the pieces. SHAN BLUE was announced as a runner in the King George and on this evidence he's going to give FRODON plenty to think about especially if we get decent ground. 

The jumping is a concern and I wasn't convinced 4800m was his trip but he wasn't stopping and he had these (admittedly second tier) types cooked before falling. 

At Exeter today, we have the Grade 2 Haldon Gold Cup,  the first serious race for the speed chasers over 3400m. GREANETEEN was a close fourth in the Champion Chase at Cheltenham before slamming ALTIOR at Sandown. He's deservedly top rated but has to give 17 lbs to HITMAN who was a useful novice last year for all his best form was over 4000m. Given the form of the stable, I've had a bet on GREANETEEN to stick his claim to a prominent position in the pecking order among the chasing speedballs. 

Just to demonstrate time makes fools of us all, trainer Dan Skelton announced this morning SHAN BLUE will miss the King George and will be kept for the big spring festivals. It will be fascinating to see if they think of him as a Gold Cup performer - I think the Ryanair is his race at Cheltenham and perhaps the 4800m race at Aintree.

Back to the immediate and the final declarations are through for Friday's opening card at the Breeders Cup meeting at Del Mar in California.

It's very much the card for the juveniles.

Juvenile Turf Sprint - 1000m 

A very strong European challenge with half the twelve strong field from Britain or Ireland. The problem for me is 1000m on firm ground round a bend won't be something most of the Europeans have encountered and against some useful Wesley Ward types, who will be in their element, it looks a tough ask.

Of the Americans, TWILIGHT GLEAMING nearly made all in the Queen Mary at Ascot and that was a stiffer 1000m on a straight track - the six draw isn't ideal but most of the inside berths are taken by Europeans who don't jump as well as the Americans. Ward also saddles the unbeaten AVERLY JANE who was impressive at Keeneland against stable companion KAUFYMAKER though the latter has a much better draw. 

I think the best of the Europeans is ARMOR who ran very well in the Flying Childers at Doncaster but he's drawn wide as well.

Juvenile Fillies Turf - 1600m

A full field of 14 and four European challengers. MISE EN SCENE is drawn 13 so that's not much help while CACHET is held by HELLO YOU on Rockfel form - I prefer the latter and she has some claims based on her experience. MALAVATH is the French challenger and a Group 2 winner over 1200m last time - she wouldn't be the first French horse to take to American fast turf but the 12 draw puts me off.

The locals don't look exceptional in all fairness and from the inside berth PIZZA MEMORIES has a second placing in a Canadian Group 1 which looks reasonable in the context of this renewal.

Juvenile Turf - 1600m

Five European raiders in the maximum 14 strong field. DUBAWI LEGEND brings the best form having run second in the Dewhurst but he's been given the coffin box at 14. I'm not saying he can't win this but it's not made his life any easier.

Charlie Appleby saw his NATIVE TRAIL beat DUBAWI LEGEND at Newmarket and he runs two of his arguably lesser lights and they've got the inside draws. William Buick is on MODERN GAMES who was a convincing winner of a Group 3 at Newmarket last time and is on the upgrade while Frankie Dettori is on ALBAHR who has won his last six including a Canadian Group 1 last time. He looks to have experience of North American racing and that's invaluable. On a line through NATIVE TRAIL, GREAT MAX has a lot to do and GLOUNTHAUNE is another who was well beaten by NATIVE TRAIL two runs ago.

I think the Appleby pair have real claims but DUBAWI LEGEND has the form if he can defy the draw. ALBAHR's experience of racing under North American conditions makes him the one for me.

At Exeter yesterday, ELDORADO ALLEN upset the more fancied runners to win the Haldon Gold Cup. 

He was a remote second to SHISHKIN in the Arkle at Cheltenham and well held at Aintree so this was a nice return to form, HITMAN was second - GREANETEEN was twenty lengths back in fourth but was conceding these a stone or more and predictably got tired from two out. He'll be much better for the run and his target is the Tingle Creek but the question in the 3200m chase division this year is whether anyone will get near SHISHKIN who looked so good last year. 

We've now got Saturday's final declarations for the Breeders Cup but it's a lot so I'll break it into two bits:

Turf Sprint - 1000m

If there's one thing American racing is known for, it's jumping and running and over 1000m, the Europeans just don't have the early running style of the locals. GOLDEN PAL was seventh in the Nunthorpe at York but won the Woodford at Keeneland and back round a bend you'd think he'd have a big chance.

EMARAATY ANA was well in front of GOLDEN PAL at York and ran down STARMAN to win the Haydock Sprint over 1200m but does he have the speed for this? A CASE OF YOU was a close second in the Flying Five and won the Abbaye but the latter was on soft ground. He holds GLASS SLIPPERS and while she won the Turf Sprint last year, it was over 1100m on a good Keeneland track not a Firm Del Mar 1000m. 

I think the Europeans have got a lot on here and GOLDEN PAL looks a solid option.

Filly & Mare Turf - 2100m

This a race in which the Europeans have often done well. Were this 12 months ago, LOVE would be odds on but she's not been the same since her hard fought Prince of Wales win over AUDARYA. The Japanese filly LOVES ONLY YOU got to within half a length of MISHRIFF in the spring and she looks a better option than the Europeans against the best of the locals who is WAR LIKE GODDESS who won the Flower Bowl and is improving with each run.

I think it's been the American and Japanese fillies who are proven on firm ground.

I'll pick up the Mile and the 2400m Turf together with a quick look at the Classic which is worth £2.3 million to the winner tomorrow.

Finishing off the Breeders Cup Preview from the Saturday evening card (UK):

Turf Mile - 1600m

This is another of the races which the Europeans often win - the likes of ORDER OF AUSTRALIA and EXPERT EYE in recent times. They both won it as 3-y-o suggesting the younger horses may be the way to go when assessing this year's hopefuls.

MASTER OF THE SEAS had a long lay off after finishing second in the 2000 Guineas and while his run behind the now-retired BENBATL was decent, he was for me a shade disappointing behind BAAEED in the Queen Elizabeth II.  His form is on faster turf so I expect a much better run but he faces a real contender in his older stable mate SPACE BLUES.

He may be a 5-y-o but SPACE BLUES put his mark on the 1400m division by winning both the City of York and the Foret and he was arguably unlucky in the bunch finish of the Lennox. This is his first attempt beyond 1400m since his early 3-y-o career but if you're going to get a 1400m horse to run 1600m, a tight track with a bend looks ideal. I'm more worried about the ground as he is proven on softer turf.

MOTHER EARTH has been a superbly consistent filly winning the 1000 Guineas and the Rothschild and being placed in races like the Pouliches, Coronation, Falmouth, Matron and the Sun Chariot before a fair fifth (in front of MASTER OF THE SEAS) in the Queen Elizabeth II. It's a long season and I can't help but think she's done more than her fair share - she seems able to go on any ground but SAFFRON BEACH reversed the spring placings in the Sun Chariot and I just think she's kept her form level and others may have improved past her.

PEARLS GALORE finished just in front of her in the Matron and was second to SPACE BLUES in the Foret so comes right into this but the 12 stall hasn't done her any favours.

SPACE BLUES has to give MOTHER EARTH 6 lbs and that won't be easy - MASTER OF THE SEAS comes to this relatively fresh and has the inside stall. James Doyle will have to be at his best but he's a sporting 12/1 each way call.

Turf - 2400m

With relatively few American races over as far as this this prize is the one most consistently taken by the Europeans and recent winners include the likes of TALISMANIC, HIGHLAND REEL, FOUND and of course ENABLE in 2018 and TARNAWA in 2020. The last named bids to follow up and ran a huge race in second in the Arc. The draw could have been kinder and Dermot Weld is as downbeat as ever but she's a really good filly and must have a huge chance.

3-y-o don't win this race that often but they have done and this year's renewal has a strong European challenge from that generation. YIBIR represents the all-conquering Charlie Appleby yard and he won the Jockey Club Derby at Belmont last time so the track, ground and North American racing style don't look to be issues. I'm more interested in his stablemate WALTON STREET who was an impressive winner of the Canadian International at Woodbine.

SISFAHAN represents Germany and got to within a length of TORQUATOR TASSO in the Grosser Preis von Baden but the ground is a big concern. I like the fast-improving TEONA who returned after a summer break to win a Listed at Windsor and then upset SNOWFALL in the Vermeille. They kept her clear of the Arc weekend mud and I think she'll love this firm turf and I take her to maintain the strong female tradition in this race.

BOLSHOI BALLET was well behind YIBIR last time.

The Dirt Races:

There are no European challengers for any of the Dirt races this year - that's no great surprise. Harry the Newshound will have said a lot more about the best of the American Dirt form so I'll just offer a few thoughts on an area where I confess my knowledge isn't as great as it might be.

On Friday, in the Juvenile Fillies, ECHO ZULU brings the credential form having won the Spinaway and the Frizette and is the deserved favourite. HIDDEN CONNECTION is an interesting alternative having been untroubled to win her two races by a total of 17 lengths. She won a Group 3 last time by a street and could be anything. 

The Juvenile is the colts' equivalent and looks wide open. The Japanese raider JASPER GREAT won by 10 lengths on debut at Hanshin while among the locals JACK CHRISTOPHER and COMMANDPERFORMANCE are closely matched on Champagne form. CORNICHE is also unbeaten but has drawn the car park berth and that's a big minus.

On to Saturday and the Filly & Mare Sprint over 1400m looks set to go to GAMINE who won this by six and a half lengths at Keeneland last year and this is a weaker renewal. The Japanese have two challengers in the Dirt Mile but they face a tough one in the 3-y-o LIFE IS GOOD who would be unbeaten but for a neck defeat in the Allen Jerkens Memorial at Saratoga. There's not much Grade 1 on offer and this looks a weak race.

The Sprint goes over 1200m on the outer Dirt track and JACKIE'S WARRIOR looks the standout having just beaten LIFE IS GOOD (see above) at Saratoga before a six and a half length romp in a Parx Grade 2. I'd take him on with DR SCHIVEL who was a convincing winner of a Santa Anita Grade 2 last time but the latter has an outside draw and that's going to be tough to overcome.

The Distaff over 1800m is the premier event for the fillies and mares on the Dirt. LETRUSKA dominates the division having won the Ogden Phipps, Personal Ensign and Spinster in a brilliant summer campaign. She'd deserve a place in the Classic on that form but in these shallower waters she dominates. Alabama Stakes winner MALATHAAT looks the main threat.

The Classic over 2000m is the climax of the meeting and worth £2.3 million to the winner. Four look to dominate - three 3-y-o and one older horse. The older representative is KNICKS GO who won the Pegasus last January before finishing eight and a half lengths behind MISHRIFF in the Saudi Cup (some measure of the relative UK vs US form?). He won the Metropolitan and the Whitney and is obviously a solid performer.

He has to give 4 lbs to the three younger horses - ESSENTIAL QUALITY, HOT ROD CHARLIE and MEDINA SPIRIT. 

In the Kentucky Derby, MEDINA SPIRIT won with HOT ROD CHARLIE third and ESSENTIAL SPIRIT fourth beaten a length and a quarter. MEDINA SPIRIT was third in the Preakness and after a summer speak returned with a smooth win in the Awesome Again.

HOT ROD CHARLIE went to Belmont and was just beaten by ESSENTIAL QUALITY before being first past the post in a controversial Haskell and being demoted to last by the stewards.  He returned after his summer off with a good win in the Pennsylvania Derby. 

ESSENTIAL QUALITY won the Belmont followed by the Jim Dandy and the Travers.

On lines through MIDNIGHT BOURBON, there's very little between the three and they represent the top of he 3-y-o dirt form. I just fancy HOT ROD CHARLIE but this is not a decision where money will be involved - I'll simply enjoy a great race.

Just worth mentioning - on the At The Races web site, we are now getting full race replays from the Victoria and Melbourne racing clubs.

Tomorrow morning (UK) we'll get racing from Warrnambool and Pakenham. The latter is an evening meeting and the timings mean the later races can get into the UK betting shops with the last race at 10.45am.

The coverage doesn't look like it's come from Sky but sourced direct from the clubs themselves. This started in the middle of last week without any announcement.

I've just watched the Kyneton Cup which looked a real war of attrition on basically waterlogged turf.

2 hours ago, stodge said:

Just worth mentioning - on the At The Races web site, we are now getting full race replays from the Victoria and Melbourne racing clubs.

Tomorrow morning (UK) we'll get racing from Warrnambool and Pakenham. The latter is an evening meeting and the timings mean the later races can get into the UK betting shops with the last race at 10.45am.

The coverage doesn't look like it's come from Sky but sourced direct from the clubs themselves. This started in the middle of last week without any announcement.

I've just watched the Kyneton Cup which looked a real war of attrition on basically waterlogged turf.

Sure was..,the next and last race was abandoned……:rolleyes:

Know anything about Sinawann Stodge ? First up for Freedman and McDonald at Flemington on Saturday.

Has run some decent races behind Armory, Japan and Fourhometwo…the latter now with Annabel Neasham and she has been very complimentary about him. Might need the run but best might be good enough….

11 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Know anything about Sinawann Stodge ? First up for Freedman and McDonald at Flemington on Saturday.

Has run some decent races behind Armory, Japan and Fourhometwo…the latter now with Annabel Neasham and she has been very complimentary about him. Might need the run but best might be good enough….

Bred by the Aga Khan's stud as you might expect from the name. 

SINAWANN is by Kingman out of an Anabaa mare - the dam raced over 2400m and has thrown mostly stayers who've been put in higher grade races. The grand-dam is a half to SINNDAR who was a very good horse - a Derby winner.

SINAWANN was second to MOGUL in a Group 2 at Irish Champions Weekend in 2019 as a juvenile and on his debut run as a 3-y-o was sixth in the Irish 2000 Guineas beaten less than five lengths. He was tried at 2000m but I'm n0ot convinced he got the trip - the sire is Kingman, the dam by Anabaa so you'd reckon 1600m would be the optimum and the form suggests that's the case.

His best form is round Leopardstown, a tight left-handed track on decent ground so I can see why they might think he'd be a natural for Australia and I see it's 1400m at Flemington so as good as anything for a starting run. He ended up rated 111 having been as high as 115.

The first day of the Breeders Cup meeting at Del Mar in Southern California is known as "Future Star Friday" as all the races are for the juveniles.

The Europeans have historically had mixed fortunes in the se races - the unforgettable ARAZI was thirty one years ago but Charlie Appleby had won the Juvenile Turf on a couple of occasions.

The card opened with the Juvenile Turf Sprint for the speedballs over 1000m and, as perhaps expected, Wesley Ward looked to dominate this with the unbeaten favourite AVERLEY JANE, the Queen Mary runner up TWILIGHT GLEAMING and the useful KAUFYMAKER

Juvenile Turf Sprint: 

This was done and dusted at the start as Irad Ortiz Junior got a tremendous start out on TWILIGHT GLRAMING and that length and a half poached at the gate proved decisive. GO BEARS GO was finishing fast as was KAUFYMAKER but they were never going to get there.

Let's not forget TWILIGHT GLEAMING had won in France on soft ground after her fine run at Ascot which was probably far enough for her - a stiff straight 1000m in Berkshire rather than the flatter turn in Southern California. I don't see her as a Commonwealth Cup hors if I'm being honest - the Nunthorpe would be the best European race for her. GO BEARS GO has danced most of the big juvenile colt dances this season and won the Phoenix in the summer. He was a decent fourth in the Middle Park and it may be the 1400m of the Dewhurst was too far. He looks an ideal type for the Commonwealth Cup and this was a fine effort.

HIERARCHY, VERTIGINIOUS and ARMOR were respectively sixth, seventh and eighth and while not beaten far, there was just a suspicion it all happened too fast for them. I did think HIERARCHY ran better than the finishing position and he looks another nice sprinting prospect for next season.

The Juvenile Fillies Turf over the two-turn 1600m saw CACHET and HELLO YOU bring their Rockfel form over 1400m. MISE EN SCENE had claims from her fourth in the Fillies Mile while MALAVATH had won in Group 2 company in France albeit on much slower ground.

Juvenile Fillies Turf: 

A remarkable slice of jockeyship and a large side order of luck won this for PIZZA BIANCA netting me a nice payout in the process. It looked extremely unlikely on the home turn (PIZZA BIANCA traded in running at 85 and the straight at Del Mar is 250m) but Jose Ortiz got all the breaks and cut down CACHET close home. Ryan Moore was also challenging late on MALAVATH in a way where they went hard and the pace collapsed in the final 300m. 

CACHET was given an enterprising ride but the fractions were probably too sharp - to be fair, HELLO YOU finished right on her tail in fifth suggesting the Rockfel form is pretty solid. MISE EN SCENE never showed. Whether MALAVATH will end up in the Pouliches or the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket remains to be seen but I'd love to see her on some decent turf as she clearly relished the quick ground.

The winner is by Fastnet Rock and is the first foal of an unraced Galileo mare.

There was drama before the start of the Juvenile Turf. The two Charlie Appleby-trained runners MODERN GAMES and ALBAHR were drawn one and two but ALBAHR got upset in the stalls and reared over backward. The stalls handlers were very quickly on the screen to rescue Frankie Dettori and the horse - both escaped injury. ALBAHR was announced as a scratching and a few minutes later so was MODERN GAMES. The latter had been released from the front of the stalls by a quick-thinking handler and had cantered off down the track. However, a report suggested MODERN GAMES had been cut by ALBAHR's flailing hoof in the stalls.

For a period, it seemed as though Charlie Appleby would be left with no representative but then another message from the start reported a second inspection had cleared MODERN GAMES to run. As you know, America has a pari-mutuel monopoly and both MODERN GAMES and ALBAHR had been taken out of the pool so we had the strange situation of MODERN GAMES running for the prize money and not as a horse on which you could place a bet. It's something that just wouldn't happen in the UK and it made for some extraordinary scenes.

Juvenile Turf: 

In the end, MODERN GAMES did it well despite not looking to be going that strongly early on. I'm not sure the inside stall was a big help but in the end he was just too good for the American turf juveniles and this is something we've seen before - the Americans view turf racing, I think, as a second-class sport and the quality of the turf juveniles just isn't as strong as those running on the Dirt.

As to where MODERN GAMES sits alongside NAIVE TRAIL and COROEBUS,, I don't know. He's by Dubawi out of a New Approach mare so you'd think 2000m would be within his compass. We also know he enjoys fast ground. DUBAWI LEGEND was always racing too free from his outside draw and this run can be forgotten while GLOUNAUTHANE also never showed.

The Dirt races were much more predictable and were both won from the front by two horses able to overcome wide draws. The Juvenile Fillies went to ECHO ZULU who was always in command while the late scratching of JACK CHRISTOPHER opened up the Juvenile for CORNICHE. PAAPACAP got a little closer than in the American Pharaoh but this was still a smooth win and you'd think he'll be a big player in races like the Kentucky Derby next spring. 

The winner is by Quality Road who was a champion Dirt performer in 2009-10 winning races like the Travers, the Jockey Club Gold Cup and the Metropolitan. 

I'll pick up the Saturday Breeders Cup races in stages as there was a lot of it.

Domestically, it was a quiet weekend with the end of the turf flat season at Doncaster. With a lead of over £600k, Charlie Appleby will be crowned Champion Trainer at the end of the year. On the jumping front, SCEAU ROYAL won the Elite Hurdle at Wincanton, the feature Grade 2 event. He was winning the race for the third time and excels on flat tracks and quick ground. The Christmas Hurdle would be his logical race but they'll run him first in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle in two and a half weeks assuming the ground remains decent.

Cheltenham stages its 3-day November meeting starting on Friday. The opening day features a Grade 2 novice hurdle over 4200m, an early indication of the talent among the young staying hurdlers. Saturday has Grade 2 races for the juvenile hurdlers and for the speedy novice chasers (the impressive winner at the last meeting, THIRD TIME LUCKI, is 1/2 ante post for this).

On Sunday there's a Grade 2 for the older novice hurdlers over 3200m and a fascinating 3200m chase - the latter is a trial for the Tingle Creek at Sandown in early December and among the entries are Champion Chase winner PUT THE KETTLE ON, NUBE NEGRA, who was a close second and the useful POLITOLOGUE who is perhaps moving into the veteran stage.

The big race of the weekend however is in Ireland on Sunday when Punchestown stages the Grade 1 Morgiana Hurdle over 3200m. Seven have been entered including last year's Champion Nov ice winner ECHOES OF RAIN who gets 7 lbs from the Champion Hurdle runner up SHARJAH.

11 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I see Princess D'Or, a GBP2,100,000  yearling is having her first start in a two year olds' maiden mile at Kempton's polytrack.  The winner's stake is the equivalent of NZD7269.

Stodge's comments on this filly will be welcome.

As you say, she was a very expensive yearling - by Frankel out of a Dubai Destination mare called Fleche D'Or making her a half sister to Golden Horn, the champion of 2015 who won the Derby Eclipse, Irish Champion and the Arc and ended with a rating of 130 which is seriously good. To be fair, he's been the best of her progeny - the full brother to PRINCESSE D'OR raced as a juvenile last season. He is DHABABI and ran three times ending up third in a Group 3 at Newmarket. The trouble is, he's not been seen as a 3-y-o - I wonder if he will turn up at Meydan this winter.

Anyway, it was far from an auspicious start for PRINCESSE D'OR who trailed home tenth of twelve beaten 15 lengths. Yes, she was very green but she was being ridden after 600m and looked a bit slow. They'll be desperate for some black type for her to give her some paddock value but on this evidence it won't be easy,