RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

On then to Thursday and just six go in the Group 2 Middleton over 2050m. QUEEN POWER was second in the Dahlia at Newmarket but she keeps finding one to beat her.

The problem is she faces three main opponents who would probably prefer further - both PASSION and CABALETA raced at up to 2800m last year and I'll put up the Jessica Harrington challenger SILENCE PLEASE as an alternative. She mixed it with some very good types last year and on he final run chased home a certain TIGER MOTH in a Group 3 at Leopardstown. The latter was run up in both the Irish Derby and the Melbourne Cup so that's strong form for a Group 2 albeit over a shorter trip.

Eleven go in the Dante, also over 2050m, and for many the last recognised trial for the Derby at Epsom. Current favourite for the classic HIGH DEFINITION is 5/2 favourite for the Dante and were he to win this well, he would probably be odds-on for Epsom but the talking now has to stop with this one.

He faces a strong field - ALENQUER, who won the Sandown Classic Trial is 6/1 with doubts over the quality of that form. GEAR UP won the Criterium de Saint Cloud but was well held in the Royal Lodge and I'm not convinced. ROYAL CHAMPION was well held at Newmarket and I thought HURRICANE LANE did it nicely at Newbury albeit in much lesser company than this.

UNCLE BRYN was third at Epsom but the winner of that race, WIRKO, let the form down at Chester.

To be honest, all of these have something to prove - with worries over the form of the 3-y-o colts at Ballydoyle, I'm swerving HIGH DEFINITION and perhaps HURRICANE LANE can take the big step forward.  

1 hour ago, stodge said:

You're right and you're not right.

13 is not old for a pointer - the fences are smaller than the regulation obstacles and the races are usually run at a slower pace.

The question I would ask is this - Saturday was UNIONISTE' s fourth run in five weeks. Just eight days before, he had been a tailed off in a 6400m point at Flete Park. It's absurd to run a horse so soon after what must have been an exhausting race. 

I'm not impressed with it either and the horse deserved better than being raced to death.  

Yes ,more he was thirteen and done a grand job I suppose , survive the races he has he deserved better and was clearly on down grade .Maxwell gets plenty of winners so not desperate . A bad decision .

Love the points , Cottenhan in Cambridge used to be my favorite as only hours drive from me back in day  . It has a small stand there and viewing great . Badbury Rings and Little Windsor which I understand closed and hunt moved to another location for its meet were another couple of favorites . 

Los Alamos ran at that meeting this weekend , Ex Ballydoyle by Galileo  . Seen a few like that over the years , bred for a Derby jogging round a farmers field for 100 quid . It's a great day out .

9 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Yes ,more he was thirteen and done a grand job I suppose , survive the races he has he deserved better and was clearly on down grade .Maxwell gets plenty of winners so not desperate . A bad decision .

Love the points , Cottenhan in Cambridge used to be my favorite as only hours drive from me back in day  . It has a small stand there and viewing great . Badbury Rings and Little Windsor which I understand closed and hunt moved to another location for its meet were another couple of favorites . 

Los Alamos ran at that meeting this weekend , Ex Ballydoyle by Galileo  . Seen a few like that over the years , bred for a Derby jogging round a farmers field for 100 quid . It's a great day out .

I have a friend and ex-colleague who is Secretary of the Kingston Blount Racing Club (KBRC) in south Oxfordshire.

The course is the traditional 1 mile round 6 fence circuit but it's usually decent ground even in winter. I've been to a few points - the bookies there are crooks - one four runner race was priced up, and I'm not kidding, 4/6, evens, 7/4 and 3/1. I'll leave you to calculate the mark up.

You have an entry stage but you don't know the fields until declaration and he has to decide if a race (usually a maiden) has to be split. It's a full-on day for the Secretary and the course staff (all volunteers) but it's huge fun.

3 minutes ago, stodge said:

I have a friend and ex-colleague who is Secretary of the Kingston Blount Racing Club (KBRC) in south Oxfordshire.

The course is the traditional 1 mile round 6 fence circuit but it's usually decent ground even in winter. I've been to a few points - the bookies there are crooks - one four runner race was priced up, and I'm not kidding, 4/6, evens, 7/4 and 3/1. I'll leave you to calculate the mark up.

You have an entry stage but you don't know the fields until declaration and he has to decide if a race (usually a maiden) has to be split. It's a full-on day for the Secretary and the course staff (all volunteers) but it's huge fun.

Bang on there about the bookies my Dad loves the points but spits tacks at the bookies there . It's funny at times ,The splits as well  . Went to Cottenham one Sunday for 7 races , turned into 9 . Kingston Blount one the real  traditional clubs.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:01 AM, stodge said:

It was a good win - to be fair, he was getting 3 lbs off the second and had the edge on fitness but IN SWOOP is a serious horse - winner of the German Derby and runner up in both the Grand Prix de Paris and the Arc and you'd think the latter would be his target this year though I'd love him to come to Ascot for the King George.

As for SUBLIMIS, that level of form would be top notch in Australia and you'd think the Cup would be ideal for him. The way French races are run isn't a million miles from the way Oz races are run whereas English horses tend to prefer a more even gallop and that can leave him at a disadvantage in Australian staying events.

Having been gelded, SUBLIMIS will be excluded from races like the Arc so there must be a temptation to head for the Flemington but I certainly wouldn't give up on IN SWOOP who I think will give LOVE a race if and when they meet later in the year.

Sublimis in again Thursday at Longchamp in Group 3 .  Level weights with In Swoop , Nagano Gold in too . Over 2400 . Toughest test yet for Sublimis , will need to be good to win it .

21 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Sublimis in again Thursday at Longchamp in Group 3 .  Level weights with In Swoop , Nagano Gold in too . Over 2400 . Toughest test yet for Sublimis , will need to be good to win it .

Yes - the turnround in weights and the fact he's had a run makes IN SWOOP a worthy 10/11 favourite. NAGANO GOLD has never won beyond Listed but is Group 1 and Group 2 placed - the former in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud. He always runs well for Soumillion but this is his seasonal bow.

Finishing off the review of last weekend, the Oaks and Derby trials at Lingfield were both won by outsiders - SHERBET LEMON won the Oaks trial at 28/1 and THIRD REALM won the Derby trial at 16s. The latter was immediately cut to 10s for the Derby but plenty of rain had turned the ground Soft and I just wonder if that went against the likes of ADAYAR, who's a huge horse and a stayer in the making and SCOPE, who also ran a decent Leger trial.

Sunday saw some interesting races at Leopardstown - again, rain had eased the ground to be on the soft side of good. JOAN OF ARC won the Group 3 1000 Guineas Trial redeeming herself for a poor run in a similar race last month. She's in everything as you might expect. The Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial saw an emphatic win for BOLSHOI BALLET who was travelling strongly and cleared away to win six lengths - that's the sort of performance for which the Derby market has been waiting. He was punted in to 7/4 favourite for Epsom and while HIGH DEFINITION might yet challenge him with a sparkling performance at York tomorrow, BOLSHOI BALLET has put up the most striking performance of any colt in the Derby trials.

In addition, the time of the 2000m stood up very well in the slightly rain-softened conditions.

ALENQUER was taken out of the Dante this afternoon to leave HIGH DEFINITION 6/4 favourite. 

Looking ahead to Friday, just five go in the 2800m Group 2 Yorkshire Cup. SIR RON PRIESTLEY looked good winning the Jockey Club Stakes at Newmarket but all his form is on quick ground and with York currently Good to Soft, I'm wary. In any case, he faces a proven Group 1 performer in SANTIAGO who won the Irish Derby last year, ran a decent third to STRADIVARIUS at Goodwood and was a close fourth in the English Leger. He wasn't at this beat in the Vintage Crop last time but I suspect that run will have brought him on a lot.

Into the mix comes NAYEF ROAD who was third to STRADIVARIUS at Ascot the other day and was a length and a quarter in front of SANTIAGO at Goodwood last year. As a wise man once said, that was then and this is now. I just think 2800m is the optimum for SANTIAGO and I think he'll prevail.

Sunday is Guineas day at Longchamp. THE LIR JET and 2000 Guineas winner POETIC FLARE are among 13 still left in the Poulains for the colts. 14 stand in the Pouliches - there's a final forfeit and supplementary stage on Friday and I'll talk more about those races later in the week.  

Very sad to read of the passing of Tyrone Williams Stodge , a hard man but a gent. Had a stroke a few years back . Matt Chapman has posted a great video of Tyrone getting back on a horse after the stroke , beautiful to see , the guy had grit. 

Always liked backing Tyrone and the "  Angry Ant " Gary Bardwell , 4ft 10 of pure muscle .

9 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Very sad to read of the passing of Tyrone Williams Stodge , a hard man but a gent. Had a stroke a few years back . Matt Chapman has posted a great video of Tyrone getting back on a horse after the stroke , beautiful to see , the guy had grit. 

Always liked backing Tyrone and the "  Angry Ant " Gary Bardwell , 4ft 10 of pure muscle .

They interviewed Gary Bardwell during the Chester Meeting and he was in good form with some fine banter with Jason Weaver.

Bardwell and Williams were perhaps the last two of the generation of "light" jockeys who excelled riding low weight runners in big handicaps. When I first got into racing, the minimum weight on the flat was 7 stone 7 lbs - it's now 8 stone. The likes of Bardwell and Williams along with earlier "light" jockeys such as Taffy Thomas, Eric Eldin and a young Willie Carson, thrived in the days of horse running off 7 stone or even less.

They had the pick of the well-handicapped horses and were preferred to heavier jockeys who had to "starve" to make the weight or inexperienced apprentices who were the only others who could draw such low weights.

Nowadays, the likes of Moore, Murphy, Dettori and Spencer generally don't ride lighter than 8 stone 7 lbs but with many races having horses carrying  9 stone or more, the whole industry of fasting or dieting isn't as ruthless as it once was when famously Lester Piggott lived on "a cigar and the Sporting Life". Yes, there are those who still have to sweat but nutrition as a science has improved the lot of so many jockeys and with the rise in minimum weights and the restriction to one meeting per day, the wellbeing (both mental and physical) of jockeys is being taken seriously.

On to Saturday and 12 stand in the Group 1 Lockinge at Newbury over the straight 1600m.

The ground has gone Good to Soft but that won't bother PALACE PIER who is 4/7. He was impressive at Sandown and my only worry would be a straight mile. He won the Marois on a straight track but was beaten in the Queen Elizabeth II at Ascot. Newbury is however a flat track and with the ground only just on the slow side of good, I think he'll just be too good for the likes of LOPE Y FERNANDEZ. 

MY OBERON won the Earl of Sefton over 1800m at Newmarket but that was a Group 3 and I'm more interested in proven Group 1 performers like old LORD GLITTERS and SAFE VOYAGE (possibly better at 1400m) and the former looks an each way option at 28s.

The fact is PALACE PIER ended the 2020 campaign as the top 3-y-o colt miler and with this year's classic generation still sorting themselves out, races like this and the Queen Anne look at his mercy.

The Group 3 Aston Park over 2400m sees another appearance by AL AASY who was an impressive winner of the John Porter over this course and distance four weeks ago. He faces LOGICIAN who you'll remember won the 2019 Leger and for whom the world looked at his feet as a 4-y-o. He won a match race but flopped badly in the rescheduled Cumberland Lodge at York. The balance of his form suggests he'll always be happier on quick ground but he has questions to answer after last season.

Final declarations are through for Sunday's Guineas meeting at Longchamp. 

12 go in the Poulains which looks, if anything, a stronger race than the English equivalent at Newmarket. The winner of that race, POETIC FLARE, faces last autumn's Dewhurst winner, ST MARK'S BASILICA, who was taken out of the Newmarket race with the ground on the quick side. In Paris, there's been plenty of rain and the ground is Good to Soft.

I fancy the latter to have the edge - the Ballydoyle horses are starting to come into a bit of form. Of the others, the Fontainebleau winner POLICY OF TRUTH, the second, SEALAWAY, the third SUMMITER and the fourth and fifth, EASTER,  and the favourite, PARCHEMIN, all take their chance.  They finished in a heap that day and I've little clue which of them will come out on top but they only bring Group 3 form to a Group 1 race.

MEHMENTO chased home CHINDIT in the Greenham and for all the latter did little for the form in the 2000 Guineas, MEHMENTO put up a decent effort and might be able to use front running tactics to advantage

14 stand in the Pouliches - again the Newmarket victor, this time MOTHER EARTH, comes on to Paris. She did it well enough and her main threat looks to be the Penelope winner PHILOMENE but that race is more a Diane trial and the step back in trip might not be ideal. SWEET LADY was a close fourth in a bunch finish to the Grotte having thrashed TIGER TANAKA in a Listed at the end of March. British challenger LULLABY MOON looks to have a bit to find and I'm more interested in the Irish raider MISS AMULET who brings solid Group1  form to the table.

She was runner up in the Cheveley Park and third in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. I think she barely gets 1600m but the flat Longchamp track and the style of French racing might give her a chance. It's a big ask first time out and MOTHER EARTH looks the one providing her Newmarket exertions haven't left a mark.

Half brother by Galileo to champion sprinter Zoustar won last at York out the Johnston yard . Won over 2400 , and ran over 2000 as a 2 year old . Only handicap but interested to see if he gets picked up by OZ interests .Lightly raced 3 year old surely must get half on their radar .

Looking back at the three days of the Dante Meeting at York.

The ground through the meeting was almost perfect - slightly on the slow side of good, perhaps verging on what we call Dead ground but perfectly safe and no real surprise for the time of year.

The opening day feature was the Group 2 Duke of York over 1200m. This was for the older sprinters and, to be honest, a division which looks wide open with BATTAASH side-lined. Last year's July Cup winner OXTED looked to bounce back from a slightly below par effort at Newmarket and he went off 10/3 joint favourite with ART POWER but the finish was dominated by two possible new players in the form of STARMAN and NAHAARR. The former had won a Listed off 97 over course and distance and was kicked up to 113 despite a poor run in the Champions Day Sprint. 

He did this well and looks set for a tilt at the Diamond Jubilee but the second, NAHAARR, who won last year's Ayr Gold Cup, is no mug and certainly made the push into Group company and I think he'll be a force in the big summer sprints.

The Group 3 Musidora saw a riding masterclass from Ryan Moore who made every yard on the experienced SNOWFALL and saw off the pretenders in NOON STAR and TEONA - the last named got very edgy in the stalls and ran with the choke out at times. It may be later in the season the places will be reversed but this did little or nothing to dispel the confusion in the Oaks market.

Thursday saw the Dante, the Group 2 2050m Derby trial named after the 1945 Derby winner and last northern trained winner. This year's renewal featured last year's Beresford winner HIGH DEFINITION who was ante post favourite for Epsom until his stable mate BOLSHOI BALLET's demolition job at Leopardstown. Those holding tickets on the new Derby favourite saw little to be concerned about for all the front three home were nicely clear and in their own ways are all horses of potential.

HURRICANE LANE maintained his unbeaten record and followed up a Newbury success which is starting to look very solid form. He'll go to Epsom as third favourite but you'd worry about him on quick ground though that seems unlikely looking at the weather forecast currently. MEGALLAN ran a huge Jockey Club trial in second while HIGH DEFINITION ran an odd race in third. Ryan Moore doesn't resort to the whip unless he has to but he was after this one at the top of the straight and it took him ages to get rolling but once he engaged his giant stride he ran on well to be a never nearer third. He looks entirely the wrong type for Epsom but the right type for either The Curragh or for Doncaster and he looks a real stayer for the future.

The Group 2 Middleton for the older fillies and mares saw QUEEN POWER romp to an 8-length success. Perhaps the step up to 2050m helped as she's often just found one or two too good over 1600m but unfortunately that's where the big prizes are in the UK but the Irish Pretty Polly at the end of June is a Group 1 over 2000m so that's a realistic target for this one.

The 1000m Listed race for the 3-y-o fillies saw WINTER POWER follow up her Cornwallis win with a hugely impressive success. She's in the King's Stand and as a 3-y-o filly will get all the allowances from the older horses.

The final day saw the Group 2 Yorkshire Cup over 2800m and this saw a welcome return to form for SPANISH MISSION who isn't the most consistent if I'm being honest. He won the Doncaster Cup last year and was a fine second in a 3000m handicap on Saudi Cup night but disappointed at Meydan in the City of Gold. He was too good for SANTIAGO who certainly put in a better effort than on his seasonal debut and the disappointing Johnson pair SIR RON PRIESTLEY (ground not quick enough) and NAYEF ROAD. SPANISH MISSION is in the Gold Cup for which he's 33/1 and STRADIVARIUS 6/4 favourite.

Two smart performances from fillies earlier on the card are worth noting. NYMPHADORA won the juvenile Listed race over 1000m which is often a Queen Mary trial but I was very taken by PRIMO BACIO who won the 1600m Listed for the 3-y-o. She was a close fourth to ALCOHOL FREE in the Fred Darling but swerved the 1000 Guineas. She's in the Coronation and while Listed to Group 1 is a big jump, it may be the 3-y-o filly miler division is still evolving but we'll know more after the Pouliches this weekend.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:25 PM, Red Rum said:

Half brother by Galileo to champion sprinter Zoustar won last at York out the Johnston yard . Won over 2400 , and ran over 2000 as a 2 year old . Only handicap but interested to see if he gets picked up by OZ interests .Lightly raced 3 year old surely must get half on their radar .

Rated 88 after that and still has a Derby entry.

The full brother, EMPEROR OF THE SUN, won the Saval Beg at Leopardstown on Thursday night and is now rated 104 - he might be the more immediate export.

Time to catch up on the last few days of racing up here.

Back to last Thursday and IN SWOOP put up a workmanlike performance to win the Group 3 Hedouville at Longchamp. He's in both the Coronation Cup at Epsom and the Prince of Wales at Ascot and it'll be interesting to see if connections want to come over rather than wait for the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud.

Saturday's main meeting in Britain was at Newbury and was illuminated by two very smart performances. AL AASY was a ridiculously easy winner of the Group 3 Aston Park over 2600m. Never out of a canter and benefiting perhaps from LOGICIAN needing the run after a long break, this was a visually very impressive run and he's 4/5 for the Coronation Cup (IN SWOOP is 8/1). To be fair, Group 3 isn't Group 1 and he's got to prove it at the very top table but he's earned an invite on tis performance.

One horse already there is PALACE PIER and he followed up his Sandown success with a hugely impressive win in the Lockinge. Always travelling well under Frankie Dettori, the John Gosden-trained colt eased into the lead 350m out and was never threatened. LADY BOWTHORPE put up a career best effort in second and on this evidence will be a big player in the Group 1 filly and mare contests such as the Falmouth as she was five lengths clear of the rest of the field headed by TOP RANK while decent performers such as LORD GLITTERS and HAPPY POWER were beaten twelve lengths and more.

PALACE PIER is 11/8 favourite for the Queen Anne and I suspect that will shorten up a lot further. He's the top older miler currently and while one of the 3-y-o might pose a threat at the Sussex Stakes and later, for now, PALACE PIER is the one to beat.

At Newmarket, JOHN LEPPER did everything wrong but still won the Fairway, one of the last Derby trials. He'll go to Epsom and as he is named after the late John Dunlop and owned by his son Ed, there won't be a dry eye in the house if he wins but he's a long way from being a Derby winner on this evidence.

On to Sunday and the circus moved on to Longchamp for the Poulains and Pouliches, the two French Guineas races. Heavy rain had turned the ground Very Soft and the Pouliches saw Newmarket victor MOTHER EARTH go off at 17/10 favourite to follow up just a week later. However, she was denied in the final 100m by 38/1 shot (66/1 in the UK) COEURSAMBA from the Jean Claude Rouget stable with another rank outsider, KENNELLA, back in third. It's hard to know what to make of the race as, in typical French style, they all finished in a bit of a heap. It may be there's no strong 3-y-o mile filly out there but we'll know more after The Curragh this weekend.

The Poulains saw the English 2000 Guineas winner, POETIC FLARE, go up against last year's Dewhurst winner, ST MARK'S BASILICA, who had swerved Newmarket because of the quick ground. As might have been expected, the very different ground conditions produced a very different result and, under Ioritz Mendizabal, benefitting from the suspension of Pierre-Charles Boudot,   ST MARK'S BASILICA produced an impressive turn of foot to win by a length and three quarters from the outsider COLOSSEO and BREIZH EAGLE with POETIC FLARE sixth.

If you knew it was going to come up soft at Ascot, you'd want to be on ST MARK'S BASILICA in the St James's Palace but on faster ground. POETIC FLARE might be the one. 

Highlights from Newbury last Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYKfDA8ZbPw

Criterium de Pouliches at Longchamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0MZhvM7fec

Criterium de Poulains at Longchamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIFveTvNAk

Another busy weekend approaching with a strong card at Haydock and the Guineas Festival at The Curragh.

At Haydock, the Saturday card has two Group 2 races - the ground is currently Soft with more rain forecast. The Sandy Lane over 1200m is a trial for the Commonwealth Cup and looks a strong and trappy heat. Some like ISABELLA GILES, UMM KULTHUM and THE LIR JET showed in trials like the Fred Darling and Greenham they were sprinters not milers. METHOD's defeat by WINTER POWER in last year's Cornwallis looks better than it did but ante post favourite is the unbeaten DRAGON SYMBOL, who didn't race as a juvenile but has won four, three on the all-weather, this season. His turf win was on quick ground at Hamilton and this much softer surface is a worry.

The older sprinters have the Group 2 Temple over 1000m. Ten have been entered including recent smart Newmarket winner LAZULI but this will be a very different surface and the favourite is LIBERTY BEACH who ran well in defeat in both the King's Stand and the Abbaye on slow ground.

In Ireland, Saturday sees the 2000 Guineas and a strong field has been declared on ground which is being called Yielding to Soft. This may well help a number of those who disappointed on the fast ground at Newmarket such as WEMBLEY and THUNDER MOON who chased home Poulains winner ST MARK'S BASILICA in the Dewhurst last year. POETIC FLARE clashes with LUCKY VEGA, who were first and third at Newmarket (news today the English 2000 Guineas runner up, MASTER OF THE SEAS, has suffered a setback and will miss Ascot) and into the mix we can throw the likes of BATTLEGROUND and LA BAROSSA.

The main supporting race is the Group 2 Lanwades over 1600m for the older horses and last year's Matron winner CHAMPERS ELYSSES heads the field but she's not the force on slow ground she is on quick turf.

The entries aren't through for Sunday's races which feature the Group 1 Tattersalls Gold Cup over 2050m which could be the best race of the season so far for the older horses and the Irish 1000 Guineas for which top juvenile PRETTY GORGEOUS is 5/2 favourite over English 1000 Guineas third FEV ROVER.

More on these races through the week.

Finally for tonight, sad news of the death of Joe Mercer at the age of 86.

For those of a certain vintage, Joe Mercer rode one of the great horses of the early 70s, BRIGADIER GERARD and his 1971 2000 Guineas defeat of subsequent Derby and Arc winner MILL REEF is considered one of the great performances of the 20th century. He also rode BUSTINO in what many call the "race of the century", the 1975 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes, against Derby winner GRUNDY.

Mercer rode for Dick Hern in the 1970s and the two enjoyed a hugely successful partnership but it ended in a bad way when Mercer was sacked publicly by Hern's employer, the Queens' racing manager, Lord Porchester, who wanted the younger Willie Carson, to ride Hern's horses.

He soon found a new role as stable jockey to Henry Cecil at Warren Place and was champion jockey in 1979.

Mercer rode 2,810 winners in Britain before retiring at the end of the 1985 season. 

He went on to be racing manager for Sheikh Maktoum al Maktoum until the latter's death in 2006. 

Mercer rode at the highest level for 20 years alongside the likes of Lester Piggott and his death leaves Piggott and Jimmy Lindley as the last two of a golden generation of jockeys from the 60s and 70s.

Final declarations are through for Saturday's racing.

11 stand in the Sandy Lane at Haydock where the ground has improved to Good to Soft with the course having dodged the showers which have plagued London all week. DRAGON SYMBOL is 3/1 favourite in a conditions race with the entire field rated between 102 and 110. The improving ground brings METHOD into calculations but if we get more rain and the ground goes back Soft or worse, MUJBAR is a fascinating contender. He won his two juvenile races on soft and heavy turf and he was well held on the much faster ground at Newbury last month. He's an option in a race where soft ground would be a concern for a lot of those who've shown form this season.

Just seven go in the Temple and with LIBERTY BEACH and KEEP WILD three and fifth in the heavy ground Abbaye last autumn, both sets of connections will be hoping for more rain. On drier turf, I'd fancy QUE AMORO who looks best fresh.

At The Curragh, the ground is Soft and twelve stand in the 2000 Guineas. A combination of the softening ground and Ryan Moore has seen WEMBLEY cut from 6s to 4s and the fact he ran so close behind last weekend's Poulains winner ST MARK'S BASILICA at Newmarket on soft turf makes it understandable he is being well supported. 

The English 2000 Guineas winner runs in his third classic in four weekends and you'd think soft ground won't be his friend any more than it was in Paris. The one I like at a bigger price is VAN GOGH who was eighth at Newmarket but is another whose best juvenile ground was all on soft or heavy turf. I'm on at 10s each way.

GLEN SHIEL was a revelation in the second part of last season, running second in the Sprint Trophy at Haydock before winning the Sprint on Champions Day. Both were on soft turf and he re-appears here on similar ground and you always like to see a proven Group 1 performer in Group 2 company. He holds the likes of SONNAIYLA and SPEAK IN COLOURS on last year's form. Matron winner CHAMPERS ELYSSES is a short price in the Group 2 Lanwades and she, like GLEN SHIEL, is a proven Group 1 performer starting her campaign in Group 2 company.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:35 AM, stodge said:

WILD BEAUTY ran okay on debut, sixth but not beaten too far. The ground was on the slow side but that should have suited the daughter of TULIPS, a Pivotal mare who got to within four lengths of the great MOONLIGHT CLOUD (she who so nearly scalped BLACK CAVIAR at Ascot) in the 2013 Maurice de Gheest. The experience will no doubt bring her forward so we'll see.

On the same card, STOWELL duly hosed up in a three runner 2400m maiden. Again, as the dam was by a proven soft-ground performer in Selkirk, no surprise he relished it. 

The most impressive winner on the card was ALDAARY who hacked up in a 1400m handicap off 93. I wonder if the Jersey will be the next stop but he's another whose dam is by Pivotal so quick ground will always be a concern. He's probably the best progeny so far of Territories, who was runner up in both the 2000 Guineas and the Marois in 2015 but did win the Jean Prat.  He had a fair start as a stallion and this is his second season so it will be interesting to see if his progeny improve as 3-y-o.

Heavy suited Wild Beauty today , no price but good win .

Had an each way go Rebel Territory at Goodwood last night , got 9s , was counting my winners when he burst clear  until got done by late finishing Spencer special.  Mild profit on bet though.  

6 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Heavy suited Wild Beauty today , no price but good win .

Had an each way go Rebel Territory at Goodwood last night , got 9s , was counting my winners when he burst clear  until got done by late finishing Spencer special.  Mild profit on bet though.  

She did it well - not entered at Ascot but in a Group 2 at The Curragh at the end of the month.

LONE EAGLE won the Cocked Hat on the Soft at Goodwood but they've always seen him as one wanting a trip and the Leger is the plan.

A wet and very windy day across much of the British Isles today.

At Haydock, the ground has turned Heavy ahead of tomorrow's meeting and while the big sprint races will be run on fresh turf, it's sure to be testing for both the Temple and the Sandy Lane. MUJBAR is now 6s second best for the Sandy Lane.

Worse at The Curragh where after 34mm of rain, the course is waterlogged and subject to a 7.30am inspection. The plan is to run the 2000 Guineas on Monday if tomorrow's card is lost. VAN GOGH is now 7/2 and I got on at 10s so I'm happy for now. It's going to be a real slog.

On Sunday, eight stand in the Tattersalls Gold Cup over 2000m and two Aidan O'Brien horses dominate. TIGER MOTH raced only four times last year but he's remembered more for the two races he didn't win - the Irish Derby and the Melbourne Cup. Whether this trip on this ground first time up is ideal I'm not sure - BROOME has already won three including a weak renewal of the Mooresbridge last time. Into the mix we have the enigmatic SERPENTINE who was brilliant at Epsom but was nowhere the same after that. There's plenty of evidence Epsom was a fluke so the obvious option is BROOME.

The Irish 1000 Guineas is going to be hard work for the fillies. That said, 1600m on heavy ground looks tailor made for PRETTY GORGEOUS if she's ready. FEV ROVER looks the big threat - her fourth in the Marcel Boussac suggests the ground won't be an issue and she was a fine third at Newmarket so has fitness on her side. JOAN OF ARC doesn't look good enough and I don't think MISS AMULET will get home in this trip on this ground while the others are basically Listed class at best.

It's a comment on the state of Italian racing their Derby is only a Group 2 - the British raider FABILIS was second in a warm handicap at Sandown last time and has claims. 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:29 AM, stodge said:

A wet and very windy day across much of the British Isles today.

At Haydock, the ground has turned Heavy ahead of tomorrow's meeting and while the big sprint races will be run on fresh turf, it's sure to be testing for both the Temple and the Sandy Lane. MUJBAR is now 6s second best for the Sandy Lane.

Worse at The Curragh where after 34mm of rain, the course is waterlogged and subject to a 7.30am inspection. The plan is to run the 2000 Guineas on Monday if tomorrow's card is lost. VAN GOGH is now 7/2 and I got on at 10s so I'm happy for now. It's going to be a real slog.

On Sunday, eight stand in the Tattersalls Gold Cup over 2000m and two Aidan O'Brien horses dominate. TIGER MOTH raced only four times last year but he's remembered more for the two races he didn't win - the Irish Derby and the Melbourne Cup. Whether this trip on this ground first time up is ideal I'm not sure - BROOME has already won three including a weak renewal of the Mooresbridge last time. Into the mix we have the enigmatic SERPENTINE who was brilliant at Epsom but was nowhere the same after that. There's plenty of evidence Epsom was a fluke so the obvious option is BROOME.

The Irish 1000 Guineas is going to be hard work for the fillies. That said, 1600m on heavy ground looks tailor made for PRETTY GORGEOUS if she's ready. FEV ROVER looks the big threat - her fourth in the Marcel Boussac suggests the ground won't be an issue and she was a fine third at Newmarket so has fitness on her side. JOAN OF ARC doesn't look good enough and I don't think MISS AMULET will get home in this trip on this ground while the others are basically Listed class at best.

It's a comment on the state of Italian racing their Derby is only a Group 2 - the British raider FABILIS was second in a warm handicap at Sandown last time and has claims. 

The horse that beat Fabilis in that handicap is in the Derby too , transferred out of Balding stable into an Italian yard . I see Fabilis brother Monarchs Glen still racing in the States out of the Maker barn .

Sad to read of the death of Barney Curley  Stodge .

There are characters then there was Barney , never ever will there be another like him .

To see him in full on mode " Barney Curley in full rant" on you tube  is well worth a look  from the old Folkestone racecourse , unscripted from the heart full on  feelings , poor old Luke Harvey and John Macririck copping it big style plus , they reacted well to the barrage . 

The guy was a genius,  his training of a fragile horse no better , Urbi Et Orbi sticks in my mind , 82 to 87 off the grid somewhere, who knows where only Barney would know  , turns up after 1800 plus days off to skate in as favorite in 20 plus runner race , and Silvertown I remember one day at Lingfield , I had decent bet at evens , a young Spencer got him home by a head without moving in saddle , they were a perfect pair those two . A sad day for the sport . 

He did a ton for charity too . 

Hey, Stodge,

Have a look at Kincardine in the fourth at Southwell today.  It is Betty Windsor's horse.

Here in New Zealand Kincardine is best known as the sire of the champion, Kindergarten, who raced around 1940 - 1944.  That stallion had been imported from England after he had won the St James' Palace Stakes and Jersey Stakes.

9 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Hey, Stodge,

Have a look at Kincardine in the fourth at Southwell today.  It is Betty Windsor's horse.

Here in New Zealand Kincardine is best known as the sire of the champion, Kindergarten, who raced around 1940 - 1944.  That stallion had been imported from England after he had won the St James' Palace Stakes and Jersey Stakes.

He did it well on debut. Small race but a couple of other decent-bred types and he won without really being extended.

Let's not get excited - the half brother is okay but rated only in the 120s so 40-45 lbs below championship level. Obviously, the sire being Kayf Tara, you might think KINCARDINE might have a bit more to offer in time but knowing the Henderson yard, he'll be brought along slowly and carefully.